Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:02:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SENDING BITCOIN WITHOUT THE INTERNET  (Read 682 times)
Leonardo7 (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 15

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 01:46:22 PM
Last edit: April 01, 2019, 02:38:50 PM by Leonardo7
Merited by omone1 (3), d5000 (1), mk4 (1), DoublerHunter (1), CryptopreneurBrainboss (1)

Hello guys, So I got involved in some argument yesterday, that it was possible to carry out a bitcoin transaction without the internet, some of my friends argued that it was impossible that the internet wasn't built that way, that there must be internet before this can ever happen.

Below is what I read from Bitcoin In Practice 1 been handled by Andreas Antonopoulos:

True cold storage” means that the private keys have never been on a networked computer or device, i.e. they have been
generated offline and without intermediaries. The signing of outgoing transactions (signed with those keys) also occurs
offline. This method is more common for long-term storage of large funds that you will not be sending out very frequently,
as it is generally impractical for everyday use. You can still safely use the addresses to send bitcoins to them, as well as to
check their balances.

From the above statement, it shows it's possible to send bitcoin from one's wallet to another wallet while the sender can perform this offline. This doesn't mean is not going to get verified online on the blockchain.

This discussion was sparked because of the series of hacked of exchanges and the need to safeguarding huge investors fund, while the crypto space continues to explore a more secure way of managing exchanges.

I want to hear your response about this submission.

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4919

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2019, 01:50:25 PM
Merited by avikz (2), mk4 (1), Zadicar (1), pundit (1)

Seems like you're getting a bit confused here...
Simply put: it IS possible to create an airgapped setup so your private keys never touch an online machine... However, you'll need an ONLINE watch-only wallet to scan the blockchain looking for unspent outputs funding your address and create unsigned transactions.
These unsigned transactions are then moved to the offline (airgapped) machine for signing, and the signed transaction has to be moved back to an online machine for broadcasting.

If a signed transaction is not broadcasted to the network, it won't end up in the mempool of a mining node, so it has 0 chance of getting into a block (getting confirmed)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Zadicar
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1020

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 02:06:58 PM

--snip---
For some visuals and step by step then this would be a good read up.

https://www.cryptocompare.com/wallets/guides/how-to-make-a-bitcoin-offline-transaction/

Legendary / Hero Member

EPSILOAN ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
█████▄     ███████    ▄█████
███████     █████    ███████
███████ ▄    ███     ███████
███████ █▄    █ █    ███████
███████ ██▄    ██    ███████
███████ ███▄  ███    ███████
█████▀   ▀██▄███▀     ▀█████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1499

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 02:25:35 PM

Hello guys, So I got involved in some argument yesterday, that it was possible to carry out a bitcoin transaction without the internet, some of my friends argued that it was impossible that the internet wasn't built that way, that there must be internet before this can ever happen.

Below is what I read from Bitcoin In Practice 1 been handled by Andreas Antonopoulos:

True cold storage” means that the private keys have never been on a networked computer or device, i.e. they have been
generated offline and without intermediaries. The signing of outgoing transactions (signed with those keys) also occurs
offline. This method is more common for long-term storage of large funds that you will not be sending out very frequently,
as it is generally impractical for everyday use. You can still safely use the addresses to send bitcoins to them, as well as to
check their balances.

From the above statement, it shows it's possible to send bitcoin from one's wallet to another wallet while the sender can perform this offline. This doesn't mean is not going to get verified online on the blockchain.

Thanks

Ok, so Mocacinno has already answered your doubt so I will not repeat that again! Rather I will give you a whole new perspective of offline bitcoin transaction or no-internet bitcoin transaction. It is certainly possible to send bitcoin transaction without the internet. Please read the below news,

https://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-coders-send-international-lightning-payment-over-ham-radio

So after reading this article, you know that bitcoin transaction can be sent without internet that looks good for experiments but at the same time it is not practical!

Leonardo7 (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 15

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 02:36:12 PM

https://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-coders-send-international-lightning-payment-over-ham-radio

So after reading this article, you know that bitcoin transaction can be sent without internet that looks good for experiments but at the same time it is not practical!

Thanks, but this is a bit different technology as it uses the somewhat radio wave.
At the end, the two developers expressed their frustration in this caption: “It was a fun demo, but obviously unrealistic because we coordinated everything online before sending the radio signals,” Ou acknowledged

lyks15

Activity: 546
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 02:44:06 PM

On this time I think this is impossible. All we know that even that we have an internet connection it is hard to connect and to transact especially in a day time. So what if we will transact offline I think this is impossible to happen. But I think when bitcoin can upgrade to that kind of system this will be a good for all of us.

▼                          NΛTURΛL8       MAKING POKER FUN AGAIN                        ▼
►          $500k Rush & Cash Monthly   |   200% First Deposit   |   $150k Short Deck Hold'em          ◄
▲          [   ● FACEBOOK   ]     Download The App Here     [     ● TWITTER     ]          ▲
avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1499

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 03:25:47 PM

Thanks, but this is a bit different technology as it uses the somewhat radio wave.
At the end, the two developers expressed their frustration in this caption: “It was a fun demo, but obviously unrealistic because we coordinated everything online before sending the radio signals,” Ou acknowledged

True! That's the reason why I said it is not practical! It looks good for theory and even for a well coordinated experiment, but can't be used in real life! In practice, Bitcoin needs internet to function!

o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 03:45:11 PM

It is certainly possible to send bitcoin transaction without the internet.
One of the parties must have an internet connection though. You can generate and sign a transaction without internet access, much as you would do on an airgapped machine, and you can send that signed transaction to another party any way you like - via telephone call, radio waves, TxTenna, snail mail, even carrier pigeon if you were so inclined. But until the receiving party broadcasts that transaction to the network via the internet, then that transaction doesn't exist on the blockchain, and so the bitcoin hasn't been sent anywhere. Someone must have internet access at some point to broadcast the transaction. And until the transaction is broadcast, the sender could easily double spend by establishing internet access and broadcasting a different transaction in the meantime.
bitzizzix

Activity: 2380
Merit: 448

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 03:48:11 PM

On this time I think this is impossible. All we know that even that we have an internet connection it is hard to connect and to transact especially in a day time. So what if we will transact offline I think this is impossible to happen. But I think when bitcoin can upgrade to that kind of system this will be a good for all of us.
I also think like you, sometimes using an online internet network to send or a bitcoin transaction is interrupted or is slow to transact even fails.
and I also have not found information about how to send bitcoin without internet or offline, but we do not know that over time the development of bitcoin and technology in the future bitcoin shipping without internet can occur.

SPIN

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
     ▄███████████████████▄
   ▄██████████▀▀███████████▄
   ██████████    ███████████
 ▄██████████      ▀█████████▄
▄██████████        ▀█████████▄
█████████▀▀   ▄▄    ▀▀▀███████
█████████▄▄  ████▄▄███████████
███████▀  ▀▀███▀      ▀███████
▀█████▀          ▄█▄   ▀█████▀
 ▀███▀   ▄▄▄  ▄█████▄   ▀███▀
   ██████████████████▄▄▄███
   ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
RIUM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
SAFE GAMES
WITH WITHDRAWALS
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
gabmen

Activity: 1246
Merit: 529

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 04:17:47 PM

Well it is impossible. We all know that internet connection is a basic necessity for making wireless transactions. How do you suppose it'll go through? Gps? Bluetooth? We don't have that yet and unless it's a face to face transaction where there's physical exchange, we need the internet.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
Report to moderator 

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..███████████████████████████████
bustedsynx

Activity: 859
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 04:54:58 PM

If a signed transaction is not broadcasted to the network, it won't end up in the mempool of a mining node, so it has 0 chance of getting into a block (getting confirmed)

Does this mean that it is possible to do offline transaction but still need internet for the transaction to be confirmed?
You can DEFINITELY do signed offline transactions and yes it needs to be sent to a node to be confirmed on the blockchain.

I think you can actually avoid using the internet if you can send the signed Bitcoin transaction over to a miner to confirm the transaction for you. It would be a big hassle though, inputting the TX from paper.

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade crypto with FTX - 5% off fees with this link
lovesybitz

Activity: 868
Merit: 289

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 05:07:11 PM

As far as I know, we can't able to send bitcoin at the present time now without using internet. That's not possible anyway, we can only make transaction if we have internet connection.
carter34

Activity: 1302
Merit: 25

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 05:08:30 PM

Does this mean that it is possible to do offline transaction but still need internet for the transaction to be confirmed?

I think the internet is barely important for sending of transaction to be transmitted and delivered to recipient but it would have been so nice if no internet was needed.
nubbins7

Activity: 566
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 05:16:35 PM

check their balances.

Thanks

Ok, so Mocacinno has already answered your doubt so I will not repeat that again! Rather I will give you a whole new perspective of offline bitcoin transaction or no-internet bitcoin transaction. It is certainly possible to send bitcoin transaction without the internet. Please read the below news,

I read this a few weeks ago and was very happy to hear about it as i am a HAM Opp as well. Smiley W2DJO is QRT.
squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 05:32:45 PM

As mocacinno pointed out, an internet connection is required to broadcast a signed transaction to the network, even if you can sign the transaction offline.

One option is to use a bearer instrument like Opendime. People can pass it around like cash without any movement on the blockchain. Of course, you need an internet connection to verify its balance.

It's a tough problem to solve. Eventually we'll be using P2P mesh networks and won't be fully dependent on the centralized internet infrastructure, but the technology isn't quite here yet.

gesdan

Activity: 616

View Profile
April 01, 2019, 10:51:24 PM

?sending bitcoin without internet? i think you can do that, with a note that your transaction will not created at that time, it will created when you connected into the internet, so if you want to send immediately you need the internet conenction

d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 6172

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 12:29:42 AM

I think the OP is mainly interested in a way to manage exchanges and other services. So yes, mocacinno's setup - online watching-only client and offline "signing computer" with the private key - is the way to go.

The problem that emerges is, obviously, the connection between the online and the offline machine. If you want both to communicate in an automated way (and not by human intervention), you must basically ensure that the offline machine can send only signed transactions via this communication, and that the offline machine would only "react" to transaction data coming from the online machine (and not to malware).

So what you can do: Write a custom standard for the communication between both computers that only handles the sending of unsigned and signed transactions. The only computer that could be manipulated (online) to accept or send other kinds of data is the online computer, but if you configure the offline computer the right way, he won't react to anything which is not transaction data, so it's impossible to make him send his private key (without "mechanical" intervention, e.g. compromised humans or USB sticks).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
muratsink

Activity: 1330
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 12:48:50 AM

You have to know, that today the Samourai wallet has a new platform that can create BTC transactions without the internet, and always keep privacy. so,  the transaction of BTC delivery can be created only by SMS. and it's very simple and easy.

Samourai wallet has a goTenna partner, goTenna is a company that produces communication devices without internet. maybe you can try this application.

1xBit.com TICKET RUSH
                                       ▄██▄▄
    ▄▄▄▀▀█████▀▀▄▄▄            ▄▄    ▄███████▄
  ▄▀      ▀█▀      ▀▄        ▄█████████████████▄
 ██▌       █       ▐██      ▄████████████████▀▀██
████▄▄   ▄▄█▄▄   ▄▄████   ▄████████████████▀████
██▀   ▀▀███████▀▀   ▀██▄▄██████████████▀▀███▄▄██
█        █████        ██████████████▀██████▀▀ ▄▀
█       █     █       ███████████▀▀███▀▀▀▀▄▀▀
 █▄▄▄▄▄▀       ▀▄▄▄▄█████████████▀▀
  ▀████▄       ▄███████████████▀▀
    ▀▀▀██▄▄▄▄▄███████████████
               ████████▀▀
               ▀█▄▄▀ ▀
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
BET ON
WORLD CUP &
COLLECT TICKETS!
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
TAKE PART
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
dmty.0809

Activity: 756
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 03:24:47 AM

It is impossible not to use the internet in bitcoin transactions or anything. We can send bitcoin by using a bitcoin atm. But this cannot be used throughout the world.
kissme09

Activity: 658

PayAccept - Worldwide payments accepted in seconds

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 04:15:14 AM

When offline transactions are done and asynchronous on its platform, the errors and vulnerabilities will be insecurity. Therefore, I believe that this will be one of the weaknesses that Bitcoin cannot make offline transactions. Because blocks verify transactions, this is not true for offline transactions.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: