Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 09:21:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why smart-contracts are so strange?  (Read 188 times)
bubuliks (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 11:03:27 AM

Hello dear friends,

I have not found such a question.
You do not find strange many ICO smart contracts?

I don’t want to give specific examples here, but many of them haven’t soft-cap in code.

IParn

Activity: 406
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2019, 11:08:01 AM

I think that the whole thing is that now everyone is making coins. And since there is nothing new to come up with, they cannot begin to copy what is. And since Ethereum has the greatest popularity, people begin to use the features that Ethereum has, namely smart contracts. Well, in the end it turns out not always successfully because they are so strange.

DIAGON  e S p o r t s       Global decentralize eSports ecosystem
JAP CN SPN RU   WHITEPAPER  ]   ICO ❱ ❱  Nov. 12 th
facebook    TWITTER    reddit     ────   (   B U Y   )   ────
rockethead
Legendary

Activity: 1059
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2019, 11:08:22 AM

i don't know exactly what you mean. would you perhaps have an example for us?
probably it would help many people if there was a simple smart contract faq. so easily prepared for basic information.
bubuliks (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 11:42:13 AM

i don't know exactly what you mean. would you perhaps have an example for us?
probably it would help many people if there was a simple smart contract faq. so easily prepared for basic information.

For example, in the GitHub code with string "uint256 initialSupply"

As I understand, in the same code there should be a code for soft cap, right?

It would be really great if investors receive a brief manual for analyzing the smart contract of red flags, for example, the presence of soft caps in the code or other moments.
bubuliks (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 11:59:50 AM

I think that the whole thing is that now everyone is making coins. And since there is nothing new to come up with, they cannot begin to copy what is. And since Ethereum has the greatest popularity, people begin to use the features that Ethereum has, namely smart contracts. Well, in the end it turns out not always successfully because they are so strange.

But really nobody notices this?  Huh

On some ratings, a frank scam gets a good rating, they don't even check the smart contract.
bigcash2011

Activity: 1442
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2019, 12:10:03 PM

Not having soft capis not a critical issue as some projects already have the starting capital to start the project, some projects have private and angel investors so soft cap is not required by such projects that is why they do not implement it in their smart contract.

bubuliks (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 12:19:13 PM

Not having soft capis not a critical issue as some projects already have the starting capital to start the project, some projects have private and angel investors so soft cap is not required by such projects that is why they do not implement it in their smart contract.

Yes, it's absolutely fine if they don't have a soft cap, it's ok for sure.  Smiley
But if they indicated a soft-cap on a website and a WP, but did not indicate it in the smart contract, then this is strange, isn't it?  Undecided
bubuliks (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 01:52:40 PM

If you have any ideas, I'll be really appreciated!
CuriousGeorge

Activity: 1498
Merit: 251

KUWA.ai

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 01:59:16 PM

Hello dear friends,

I don’t want to give specific examples here, but many of them haven’t soft-cap in code.

I think that you will not find soft cap but it looks like rather than softcap and the developer was putting how many tokens that available for the tokensale. Some platforms are not creating automation to its ico and that means the token will be distributed after the ico.

|
|

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
bubuliks (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 02:05:52 PM

Hello dear friends,

I think that you will not find soft cap but it looks like rather than softcap and the developer was putting how many tokens that available for the tokensale. Some platforms are not creating automation to its ico and that means the token will be distributed after the ico.

Possibly,
I mean ERC20 in this case. I saw contracts with refund or soft-cap or something else code, but often in the code, there is no soft cap. It confuses me Smiley
Nalbo

Activity: 870
Merit: 125

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 02:14:02 PM

Most of the ICOs don't even have a smart contract.
Smart contracts are generally there to regulate issuance and freezing of tokens rather than measuring a cap. Though some of them have an automation to transfer back the coins if the stated minimum amount is not collected.
bubuliks (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 02:25:26 PM

Most of the ICOs don't even have a smart contract.
Smart contracts are generally there to regulate issuance and freezing of tokens rather than measuring a cap. Though some of them have an automation to transfer back the coins if the stated minimum amount is not collected.

I wonder how this is possible today, yes, it is not necessary, but you always know that your nuts are protected Smiley

Especially if the project does not have serious progress, besides, it is unclear how much the project actually collected
chocopapaya

Activity: 686
Merit: 131

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2019, 02:27:46 PM
Merited by dumplingsandsushi (1)

It's simple, those ICOs are terrible.
But, in their defence, how do you expect the softcap to be written?
A lot of the promises made for reaching softcap are off chain after all.

Or are you thinking that the contract is something like: "Once ____eth gets deposited in this account, tokens are automatically released"?
Well, most ICOs automatically have tokens distributed for donating.
So that is taken care of.

But as far as promises to keep the company going if a softcap is reached is all off the blockchain.

I guess, an important takeaway is that it is important to look at their tech footprint.
Basically, part of researching an ICO is to look at their github.
They should have all smartcontract info there.
If you don't know how to understand it, just have a techie frined look at it.
Or start a tech discussion about it here.

bubuliks (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 02:38:38 PM

It's simple, those ICOs are terrible.
But, in their defence, how do you expect the softcap to be written?
A lot of the promises made for reaching softcap are off chain after all.

Or are you thinking that the contract is something like: "Once ____eth gets deposited in this account, tokens are automatically released"?
Well, most ICOs automatically have tokens distributed for donating.
So that is taken care of.

But as far as promises to keep the company going if a softcap is reached is all off the blockchain.

I guess, an important takeaway is that it is important to look at their tech footprint.
Basically, part of researching an ICO is to look at their github.
They should have all smartcontract info there.
If you don't know how to understand it, just have a techie frined look at it.
Or start a tech discussion about it here.

Yes, I will think about the technical discussion, maybe I do not understand something, but the language is not complicated, especially as there are notes in the code, I will read the forum rules and continue my thoughts, thanks for the answers!
Forbiddenone

Activity: 585
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 02:47:22 PM

if you are thinking of just pure abstraction means just a type a function and rest of code is executed then it is better to use gui code generator rather than going for manual coding .fist you have to understand that blockchain tech is not easy and pretty new and designing a simple syntax contract language will be difficult.
andor.gellenhidi

Activity: 602
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 03:08:39 PM

No, I don’t see something very strange in them, because I think that all they can really do is just create planned actions that you can observe today, for example, at ETH. There are already functions that are already standard. Therefore, in general, change can only worsen the situation.
bubuliks (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2019, 03:44:03 PM

No, I don’t see something very strange in them, because I think that all they can really do is just create planned actions that you can observe today, for example, at ETH. There are already functions that are already standard. Therefore, in general, change can only worsen the situation.

Let me clarify, I'm talking about ERC20 contracts, I have nothing against them, they are a good decision.

I'm just confused about contracts of some ICO which do not indicate soft cap in their code, but they talk about it on their website.
At the moment, I do not understand just that, because this is a guarantee of investor safety
bubuliks (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2019, 05:07:44 PM

Let me clarify, I'm talking about ERC20 contracts, I have nothing against them, they are a good decision.

I'm just confused about contracts of some ICO which do not indicate soft cap in their code, but they talk about it on their website.
At the moment, I do not understand just that, because this is a guarantee of investor safety

Maybe you have some ideas, guys?
rockethead
Legendary

Activity: 1059
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2019, 11:00:50 AM

yes for the security of ico investors it wouldn't be wrong. as often as during an ico or ieo recently goals and processes are changed
many would have a problem with that. so i think that's rather ignored. the goals and plans on a website are changed fast Roll Eyes
neonshium

Activity: 1134
Merit: 515

View Profile
April 22, 2019, 05:47:59 AM

Hello dear friends,

If you are not a programmer, I think this is only when smart contract would look strange to you because it is normal with life, as people always say, knowledge is power, once you don't know how something works or how to get it to work, then it would always look strange to you until you are opened to that knowledge. Smart contract is a deployed code on the ethereum blockchain to create a token with different blockchain features.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: