Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:32:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WoodCollector]Nine Public Coin Collection Completed  (Read 3778 times)
teeGUMES (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1253
Merit: 1203

View Profile
April 17, 2019, 02:17:57 PM

Any updates to all this?   Shocked

Work in progress.

Last week I picked these up.

And I am going to be constructing a sort of "dark box" that will fit the coins and have a slot in top that will accommodate different sorts of lighting.
Waiting until its a bit nicer outside so I can turn it into sort of an event, have a few people look aswell over a few drinks. Others may be able to spot something I miss.
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Agrawas

Activity: 1736
Merit: 501

https://rollbit.com/referral/Agrawas

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2019, 02:28:51 PM

Any updates to all this?   Shocked

Work in progress.

Last week I picked these up.

And I am going to be constructing a sort of "dark box" that will fit the coins and have a slot in top that will accommodate different sorts of lighting.
Waiting until its a bit nicer outside so I can turn it into sort of an event, have a few people look aswell over a few drinks. Others may be able to spot something I miss.

Wow, this is probably one of the best treasure hunt story I have ever heard. Hope you have big success in achieving victory.

jackbauercsgo
Copper Member

Activity: 507
Merit: 118

View Profile
April 17, 2019, 02:33:09 PM

Nice!  Looks like you're covering a lot of the possibilities.  Other thoughts I had:

* Can any signal can be detected?  (like placing near a radio makes the sound go all distorted)
* Are they all perfectly balanced?  Or perhaps lopsided in some way, where one side is much heavier than the other?
* How heavy are they in general?  Does that seem reasonable based on the density and type of wood involved? (if not, perhaps something is inside, etc)
* Perhaps gentle chemical tests can be used to spot a number of things, such as the presence or lack of wood glue (no idea if this is possible, just spit balling)

Man I could go on forever just thinking of possibilities haha.  I am just still floored that you have 9 of them together in your possession.
dolphriends

Activity: 1750
Merit: 440

View Profile
April 17, 2019, 02:44:33 PM

Nice!  Looks like you're covering a lot of the possibilities.  Other thoughts I had:

* Can any signal can be detected?  (like placing near a radio makes the sound go all distorted)
* Are they all perfectly balanced?  Or perhaps lopsided in some way, where one side is much heavier than the other?
* How heavy are they in general?  Does that seem reasonable based on the density and type of wood involved? (if not, perhaps something is inside, etc)
* Perhaps gentle chemical tests can be used to spot a number of things, such as the presence or lack of wood glue (no idea if this is possible, just spit balling)

Man I could go on forever just thinking of possibilities haha.  I am just still floored that you have 9 of them together in your possession.

I too am floored that you have 9 all together, how long did that search take place?
teeGUMES (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2019, 02:56:15 PM

Feel free to edit your post if you think of anything else, I am always eager to take on new ideas. Until Coin 10 becomes known to be in existence it is up to our imaginations as to how we proceed.
I 99.9% will not try anything that damages the wood, even though it could be a possibility I would rather have these presented at a museum or a potential sale to someone that has the treasure hunting bug.

I too am floored that you have 9 all together, how long did that search take place?

My first two coins came through the door on October 24, 2017 and the last(ninth) came February 11, 2019 for a total of 475 days start to finish.

I 100% thought it was impossible and that I would end up with at most 6 or 7 of them. Ran into some obstacles along the way at each step.. only the first two coins were ever for sale in an auction. Everybody else I tracked down and had to make appropriate offers that would entice each owner to want to give up their coin. All it would take was for me to rub one of them the wrong way and my collection would have been incomplete no matter how hard I tried. With each owner I was completely transparent about how many of the coins I owned at the time and that it was my end game goal to reach all 9.. I knew this could potentially inflate the amount that they would want for their coin but I never wanted to pull the wool over anyone's eyes.

The journey taught me a lot of patience and if there is a Coin 10 out there I am very capable of waiting much longer until the right set of eyes end up on this thread.
dolphriends

View Profile
April 17, 2019, 03:02:47 PM

Feel free to edit your post if you think of anything else, I am always eager to take on new ideas. Until Coin 10 becomes known to be in existence it is up to our imaginations as to how we proceed.
I 99.9% will not try anything that damages the wood, even though it could be a possibility I would rather have these presented at a museum or a potential sale to someone that has the treasure hunting bug.

My first two coins came through the door on October 24, 2017 and the last(ninth) came February 11, 2019 for a total of 475 days start to finish.

I 100% thought it was impossible and that I would end up with at most 6 or 7 of them. Ran into some obstacles along the way at each step.. only the first two coins were ever for sale in an auction. Everybody else I tracked down and had to make appropriate offers that would entice each owner to want to give up their coin. All it would take was for me to rub one of them the wrong way and my collection would have been incomplete no matter how hard I tried. With each owner I was completely transparent about how many of the coins I owned at the time and that it was my end game goal to reach all 9.. I knew this could potentially inflate the amount that they would want for their coin but I never wanted to pull the wool over anyone's eyes.

The journey taught me a lot of patience and if there is a Coin 10 out there I am very capable of waiting much longer until the right set of eyes end up on this thread.

Fantastic job Smiley
jackbauercsgo
Copper Member

View Profile
April 17, 2019, 03:08:33 PM
Merited by teeGUMES (2)

"All it would take was for me to rub one of them the wrong way and my collection would have been incomplete no matter how hard I tried."

You are so casual with this, but man it's a big deal.  I really do understand, and I know not many others will.  I did this kind of stuff for years with virtual items and would successfully get things no one else was able to simply by treating people reasonably and being open/honest about everything.  Can't give you enough kudos for being successful in gathering the 9.  Takes smarts, empathy, creativity, and honesty to pull off something so legendary.
Edits

Activity: 365
Merit: 29

View Profile
April 17, 2019, 03:23:26 PM

middle left coin stands out as different due to the design.

High(er) res pics?

teeGUMES (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2019, 03:29:20 PM

High(er) res pics?

Best I've got currently.

https://i.imgur.com/Jkrw4aO.jpg High res front
https://i.imgur.com/rD4KZyO.jpg High res back

By far the most shiny of them all, was hard to get a good picture.
dolphriends

View Profile
April 17, 2019, 03:39:35 PM

High(er) res pics?

Best I've got currently.

https://i.imgur.com/Jkrw4aO.jpg High res front
https://i.imgur.com/rD4KZyO.jpg High res back

By far the most shiny of them all, was hard to get a good picture.

Just my opinion but, the number 10 I think is a clue. 
jackbauercsgo
Copper Member

View Profile
April 17, 2019, 03:41:42 PM

Where do you see a 10?  Maybe I'm missing it.

Also @ tee - do you confirmed have #'s 1 through 9?  Could there be a chance that you have the #10 in your collection already and are missing another #, like the 6?
teeGUMES (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2019, 03:43:00 PM

This here?

Six of the coins are denominated in 10BTC. The other three are 1BTC.

Also @ tee - do you confirmed have #'s 1 through 9?  Could there be a chance that you have the #10 in your collection already and are missing another #, like the 6?
Yes each coin is very well documented in the original thread posted by WoodCollector https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1011340.msg10971986#msg10971986
This is the post of his that I have quoted in my OP.
dolphriends

View Profile
April 17, 2019, 03:50:33 PM
Merited by teeGUMES (1)

This here?

Six of the coins are denominated in 10BTC. The other three are 1BTC.

Well I wonder what denomination the 10th coin is, it's all fascinating to me and causes one to ponder the possibilities.
jackbauercsgo
Copper Member

View Profile
April 17, 2019, 04:10:40 PM

Yes each coin is very well documented in the original thread posted by WoodCollector https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1011340.msg10971986#msg10971986
This is the post of his that I have quoted in my OP.

Got it, plz forgive my laziness. 
teeGUMES (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2019, 02:28:22 PM

Monthly exposure bump. It is my hopes that eventually someone that is not regularly around sees this and reaches out with new information.

Have not searched for any clues yet. I keep pushing it off because I am scared to find or not find clues and have this adventure end.
Sat0shisGhost

Activity: 382
Merit: 265

View Profile
May 21, 2019, 03:13:56 PM

I tried to check a few of the BTC addresses on the backs of the coins but couldn't get any to pass a checksum. Seems like they're alternating between large and small letters as capital/lowercase. My guess is a misread some of the characters because it's tricky to see in the images.

Do you have any of the correct addresses handy?
teeGUMES (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2019, 03:36:47 PM

I tried to check a few of the BTC addresses on the backs of the coins but couldn't get any to pass a checksum. Seems like they're alternating between large and small letters as capital/lowercase. My guess is a misread some of the characters because it's tricky to see in the images.

Do you have any of the correct addresses handy?

That is something I do need to add to my notes, I will take a closer look in the next few days and attempt to work them out.

For an extra .25BTC i will carve your bitcoin address and/or QR code into the reverse side of the coin as well as carve out a recess if you would like to store the private key to that address.

The buyer will receive a CoA (certificate of authenticity) from me usually within 1-2 weeks of receiving the artwork. As many of you who have bought my art already know, i use Bitcoin technology and Vanity addresses on my CoA's and it can take up to 2 weeks to generate the desired result.

I believe the original buyers sent their own addresses in to be put onto them (maybe not the 1Unity vanity address). Also nobody did send me their CoA although two of the owners did mention them. I will reach back out to the ones I can get ahold of and see if they made their own public address or if WC created them.

Definitely a poor choice to have all caps font and to just make the supposed lower case letters 1 point smaller than the uppercase.
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2019, 07:37:09 PM

Wow, I had forgotten all about good old WC. IIRC I was the first person to commission a piece from him. I probably still have his email address and could reach out to him for clues on these coins.

edit: do not forget the Bitcoin dildo he made either...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=871618
teeGUMES (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2019, 07:43:47 PM

Wow, I had forgotten all about good old WC. IIRC I was the first person to commission a piece from him. I probably still have his email address and could reach out to him for clues on these coins.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=864472.msg9602461#msg9602461

Lol how can anyone forget that. You definitely were the first, I reached out to a few people with the 3 or 4 bitcoin B's that he made but due to price I decided to just stick with completing the wooden coin collection. If you could throw an email out that would be pretty cool, I figured if anything he may have "Watched" his old thread with the tale laid out so I also posted a teaser linking to this more thorough thread.
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2019, 10:44:33 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=864472.msg9602461#msg9602461

Lol how can anyone forget that. You definitely were the first, I reached out to a few people with the 3 or 4 bitcoin B's that he made but due to price I decided to just stick with completing the wooden coin collection. If you could throw an email out that would be pretty cool, I figured if anything he may have "Watched" his old thread with the tale laid out so I also posted a teaser linking to this more thorough thread.

I bet I couldn't even get .25BTC for my "hive" BTC
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: