Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 01:25:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cant find seed (2fa) and i have to update, help!  (Read 184 times)
filthyorangejuice (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2019, 08:17:57 PM

The problem is that on my balance it says "Synchronizing..." and i found out that this may be because i havent updated. And to update i need to download over again, which means i would need my seeds to recover my account, in my understanding. I cant remember writing down this seed anywhere when i created my wallet, and its greyed out in "Wallet" section. So how would this work when updating Electrum? How can i make sure i wont lose my account and $$? Can i use something else than seed to do this?
vv181
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273

View Profile
April 03, 2019, 08:25:53 PM
Merited by Zadicar (1)

First of all, you need to move your thread to the more proper section like Bitcoin Technical support. You might have a better response there.

If you use Electrum wallet, and it says Syncronizing you just need to wait a few seconds or minutes, depends on your connection. You didn't have to update the Electrum wallet version.

Also, It is a bad practice to not writing down and keeping it safely your seed, its the critical parts of Bitcoin.
Zadicar
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1020

View Profile
April 03, 2019, 08:38:19 PM

The problem is that on my balance it says "Synchronizing..." and i found out that this may be because i havent updated. And to update i need to download over again, which means i would need my seeds to recover my account, in my understanding. I cant remember writing down this seed anywhere when i created my wallet, and its greyed out in "Wallet" section. So how would this work when updating Electrum? How can i make sure i wont lose my account and $$? Can i use something else than seed to do this?
As said above, you wont need to make some updates yet from the word "synchronizing" it tries to connect to the network which means
you would need to wait for sometime and on electrum it doesnt took so long.Just relax and dont easily got panicked  Wink

SPIN

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
     ▄███████████████████▄
   ▄██████████▀▀███████████▄
   ██████████    ███████████
 ▄██████████      ▀█████████▄
▄██████████        ▀█████████▄
█████████▀▀   ▄▄    ▀▀▀███████
█████████▄▄  ████▄▄███████████
███████▀  ▀▀███▀      ▀███████
▀█████▀          ▄█▄   ▀█████▀
 ▀███▀   ▄▄▄  ▄█████▄   ▀███▀
   ██████████████████▄▄▄███
   ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
RIUM
..FAST DEPOSITS .........
..AND WITHDRAWALS..
    ▄▄████████▄▄                        ▄██████▄
  ▄███████▀██████▄                   ▄██████████▄
 ██████ ▀▀ ▄ █████       ██          ▄████████████▄
████████  ▄▀▄ ▀██▀      ▄███       ▄███          ███▄
███████▄  ▀▀▀ ▄██      ▄█████▄    ████████    ███████
███████  ██▀  ▄██     ████████▄   ███▀ ▄▄▄    ▄▄▄▄▀██
█████▄▄  ▀▀▄   ██▄    ▀▀█████▀▀   █████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
 ██████ █ ▄ ▄█████    ▀▄▄▀▀▀▄▄▀   ████████    ██████▀
  ▀███████████████     ▀█████      ▀██████▄▄▄▄████▀▀
    ▀▀█████████▀         ███         ▀▀████████▀▀
..WHEEL OF..
..FORTUNE...
.WELCOME OFFER .
......200% + 50FS.....
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀██████
████████████▀▀▀    ██████
███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
████▄     ▄█▀     ███████
███████▄ █▀      ████████
████████▌▐       ████████
█████████ ▄██▄  █████████
███████████████▄█████████
▀███████████████████████▀

.PLAY NOW.
[/ta
Bitinity
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1314

View Profile
April 03, 2019, 08:38:58 PM

Which electrum version you are using currently as there are three types of electrum wallet (installer, portable, and standalone)? The latest version is 3.3.4, I havent update mine as well as I'm still using the 3.3.3. I'm very rare to use electrum wallet to be honest as I prefer to use mycelium and blockchain as I can use it on my phone without any issues.
I think it is safe to update your wallet if you use the installer version. As I remember, I did not need to use my wallet seed on my last update from 3.3.2 to 3.3.3
Adriano2010

Activity: 1414
Merit: 516

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2019, 08:40:37 PM

You should move your thread to technical support as already suggested. If your BTCitcoin address where you have your coins are from that seed you don't write down or backup anywhere then is most likely your bitcoins are lost and is not possible to access them without seed or private key of address. If you can export your private keys from Electrum then you are safe.
filthyorangejuice (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2019, 08:50:10 PM

Ok thanks for information on thread placement.

I have version 3.1.2. and its been synchronizing for a while now. Maybe an hour, so it seems like an update is critical. 

What happens when i click Export on Private Keys? Can i use this to get my BTC when i update Electrum?

BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 3030

BTC price road to $80k

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2019, 09:03:39 PM

I have version 3.1.2. and its been synchronizing for a while now. Maybe an hour, so it seems like an update is critical. 

What happens when i click Export on Private Keys? Can i use this to get my BTC when i update Electrum?

That's a good idea before you do anything else from above you must back up all important things like private keys and default_wallet.dat that you can find in this path C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Electrum\wallets
Then copy all files inside of "wallets folder"(or just cut them) and paste it to other folder or if you have extra drive paste it there.

Since your recent electrum version is 3.1.2 you can directly update it without any problem just make sure that you have the backup as I said above.

The current Electrum Version is Electrum-3.3.4
Beware on phishing sites and fake Electrum wallet spreading on the internet make sure that you download the Electrum wallet to the correct Electrum website.

Here's the correct one https://electrum.org/#download just click this site then download the latest version there and update your wallet.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18588

View Profile
April 03, 2019, 09:05:34 PM

Version 3.1.2 will never sync. You need to update electrum:

Warning: Electrum versions older than 3.3 can no longer connect to public servers, and must be upgraded. This is in order to prevent user exposure to phishing messages. Do not download Electrum from any another source than electrum.org.

Ensure you are downloading from the official site (electrum.org) and not any of the similarly named scam/phishing sites. It is also good practice to verify the signature of any file you download. There are instructions on how to do this on the download page.
vv181
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273

View Profile
April 03, 2019, 09:09:49 PM

~just relax and dont easily got panicked  Wink
I'll be panicked as hell If I didn't control and safely keep the seed phrase.

Well, that is the problem. You use an obsolete Electrum version.

According to the official Electrum site it stated
Warning: Electrum versions older than 3.3 can no longer connect to public servers, and must be upgraded. This is in order to prevent user exposure to phishing messages. Do not download Electrum from any another source than electrum.org.

You should download the latest official Electrum wallet, and verify the gpg key to make sure you downloaded the correct and safe file.
https://electrum.org/
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
April 04, 2019, 07:29:21 PM

Don't bother exporting your private keys. IT won't help you.

This is what you should do. First make a backup of your wallet file via file > save copy. This is a precautionary step. Then install the latest electrum version. In most cases it'll pick up your wallet file and upgrade it and you'll be good to go. If it doesn't then tell us and maybe we can help you.

Once you have the latest version running you should create a new wallet and move your coins to it. That's because in the event you lose your phone you will also lose your bitcoins since you didn't write down the seed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: