Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:46:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How long ago did you get a BTC related PayPal charge-back?  (Read 2458 times)
pirateat40 (OP)
Avast Ye!

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late."

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2011, 11:03:12 PM

I hear it all the time, but have not heard from anyone that has actually got a charge-back using personal gift (or any) option. It's always a friend of someone they knew or heard about.

The term "gift" used in the financial world has always meant non-reversible, does PayPal have access above the laws?

Anyway, let me know.

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
likuidxd

Activity: 476
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 08, 2011, 11:09:37 PM

Never had one as I initiate all necessary transfers to get the money physically into my hands immediately, then send remainder payment of btc.

I too have never heard a first hand account of charge backs and am not sure if a gift can be taken back since it is withdrawable immediately after receipt

kcmastrpc

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 12:27:27 AM

If the person initiates a chargeback through their credit card provider it is certainly possible.

You can help mitigate the risks by doing business with people who have a reputation of being trustworthy. That doesn't mean they won't turn cheek and go into scam mode though.

kookiekrak

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 05:31:36 PM

I was buying eve isk from this dude. I sent him 3 separate paypal gifts over a month's time with random messages as reasons.

Unfortunately, his account got banned and i lost the isk i paid for, so I filed a chargeback with paypal with my account being hacked.

They reversed the payments within a week. lulz

FREE 100 GME if you post your Cryptsy TradeKey on the official GameCoinTalk forums

http://www.gamecointalk.org/index.php?topic=7.msg9#new
mr chong

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 06:01:05 PM

I have heard of Ebay sellers having charge backs done on them as long as 6 months after a transaction and the sellers lost the case. It did not have anything to do with BTC but it lets you know that just because 60-90 days go by that a charge back can not still be done especially if they claim stolen credit card.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 06:18:28 PM

I have heard of Ebay sellers having charge backs done on them as long as 6 months after a transaction and the sellers lost the case. It did not have anything to do with BTC but it lets you know that just because 60-90 days go by that a charge back can not still be done especially if they claim stolen credit card.

This can happen but it is rare.  60 days is the normal amount of time.  Outside of 60 days, 99% of the time it is done via a credit card chargeback.  Paypal almost never allows an internal dispute stat starts past 60 days. 

kgo

Activity: 548
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 04:30:43 PM

I hear it all the time, but have not heard from anyone that has actually got a charge-back using personal gift (or any) option. It's always a friend of someone they knew or heard about.

The term "gift" used in the financial world has always meant non-reversible, does PayPal have access above the laws?

Anyway, let me know.

Thanks

If I break into your house, steal a TV, and give it as a 'gift', this is reversible.

The scammer just complains that TEH BITCOINERS HACKED TEH ACCOUNT and the charge will be reversed.
pirateat40 (OP)
Avast Ye!

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late."

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2011, 05:20:31 PM

Anyway, let me know.

Thanks

If I break into your house, steal a TV, and give it as a 'gift', this is reversible.

The scammer just complains that TEH BITCOINERS HACKED TEH ACCOUNT and the charge will be reversed.

A TV is not really a financial currency of the market.  So let's say I broke into your house, stole all your cash, the zombie kit and a half full beer. I then "gift" the cash to a friend.  This is not reversible. Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: