Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 01:06:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost coins?  (Read 627 times)
Lund94 (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 4

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 07:31:19 AM

Hi guys

First of all - i haven't been sending anything to a wrong address, I Always Double check the addresses if not tripple check  Grin

But!
I've been thinking about all those post about people sending their coins to a wrong address - isn't there a way to fix this?  Smiley

What happens if you type in a wrong address and send it? - You probably just lost your coins. Someone might be lucky enough to have this address, otherwise your coins would be stuck in wallet controlled by no one.
Im not sure how the delegation of addresses works, but could i end up with a wallet with x amount of a coin in it just by creating new wallets?

Wallet addresses is a hexadecimal number, which cointains more possible addresses, than humans existing on the earth - Of course not 100% correct beacuse a coins address whould be same lenght +-
which will restrict the possible amount. Why? Because of safety? Or maybe the posibilty to scale the network?

is there any coins with some kind of function that checks if the recieving wallet address has ever been active? If not - Why? would it ruin any kind of privacy/anonymity?

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids a problem.
jhenfelipe

Activity: 1372
Merit: 647

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 02:31:56 PM

People (commonly) sent their coins to a wrong address not because of mistyping it, but because of a copy paste malware that automatically changes the address that has been copied to clipboard (from the recipient's address to the hacker's address). Having an anti malware software on your device would help and of course always double check the address before making the transaction.

Content of this might be helpful to you -> What if you send Bitcoin to a non-existent address?
magpie_lover

Activity: 182
Merit: 8

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2019, 03:44:19 PM

Wallet addresses is a hexadecimal number, which cointains more possible addresses, than humans existing on the earth - Of course not 100% correct beacuse a coins address whould be same lenght +-
which will restrict the possible amount. Why? Because of safety? Or maybe the posibilty to scale the network?

is there any coins with some kind of function that checks if the recieving wallet address has ever been active? If not - Why? would it ruin any kind of privacy/anonymity?

Depends on the blockchain network and the wallets that you're using to send your coins. In case of Bitcoin, the address is a PubKeyHash encoded in Base58 with a version value and a checksum. All bitcoin wallets check if addresses are valid, so in the event of a typo, funds won't be sent.  In Ethereum's case, EIP-55 addresses checksum validation, but not sure if all wallets/exchanges support it.

In summary, one could say the probability of individual sending funds to an invalid address (due to typos, empty space, copy paste errors etc.) is very low as the wallets & exchanges mostly implement these checks and lets the users know.
palle11

Activity: 2338
Merit: 332

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 03:58:40 PM

On the contrary, what I know of on this is a wallet that does a thing like that. The coinomi wallet does something like that. If you input a receiver address and if the coin selected does not correspond with the receiver address, you can't send out.

You can download coinomi from play store.
Awesomus Maximus

Activity: 392
Merit: 66

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 04:00:39 PM

Someone might be lucky enough to have this address, otherwise your coins would be stuck in wallet controlled by no one.
Nope, they are lost. The chances of someone actually having the address are very very very low, practically non-existent. Like you said, they are in a wallet controlled by no one, and if all the people in the world opened 1000 new wallets daily the next 1000 years, the chances of hitting that address would still be non-existent. So the coins are lost.
Adriano2010

Activity: 1414
Merit: 516

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2019, 04:01:11 PM

Sometimes happen, people send either their coins from bitcoin to a BCH exchange address and if exchange not offer option to recover their bitcoin then they lose their bitcoin, people should check more times what writes and only after send bitcoin, also there is a malware which can make copy and address and when paste the address is the hacker address.
pinkpanther03

Activity: 1092
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 04:05:00 PM

I don't that lost coins can be recovered. As of now, there is no app that will help you out. Those apps saying they can, most likely they are malwares designed to steal more of your coins. It's really hard to trust especially apps pretending to help you. Start checking your computer of malwares.
diazepam666

Activity: 1162
Merit: 516

1BTC Welcome Bonus

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 04:21:30 PM

Hi guys

First of all - i haven't been sending anything to a wrong address, I Always Double check the addresses if not tripple check  Grin

But!
I've been thinking about all those post about people sending their coins to a wrong address - isn't there a way to fix this?  Smiley

What happens if you type in a wrong address and send it? - You probably just lost your coins. Someone might be lucky enough to have this address, otherwise your coins would be stuck in wallet controlled by no one.
Im not sure how the delegation of addresses works, but could i end up with a wallet with x amount of a coin in it just by creating new wallets?

Centralized form of finance only allow you to make the transaction as well as reversal of the payment. When there is the lose happened in any crypto currency. There is no possibility to recover that fund maximum you can track the transaction where it goes and request the address owner using donation request.
It is all for maintaining anonymity only.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
       ████████     ▄█▄▄
       ▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀   ▄██████
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀    ███████▀
 ▄▄███▄▄          ███████▀
█████████▄        █████▀
███████████▄       ▀▀▀▀
▀████████████▄
 ▀████████████▄
  ▀████████████▄
    ▀███████████
      ▀████████▀
        ▀▀████▀
        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
       ████████     ▄█▄▄
       ▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀   ▄██████
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀    ███████▀
 ▄▄███▄▄          ███████▀
█████████▄        █████▀
███████████▄       ▀▀▀▀
▀████████████▄
 ▀████████████▄
  ▀████████████▄
    ▀███████████
      ▀████████▀
        ▀▀████▀
..Learn More..
Rogkim1

Activity: 262
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 04:28:10 PM

Hi guys

But!

Most cryptocurrency has decentralization and no one can access another wallet, even the developers of this or that coin. Therefore, if you send your coins to another wallet, then you can forget about them forever.
HyughA

Activity: 191
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 04:33:09 PM

hello, don't get your address wrong, but if you send ETH to the BTC address, of course you can't, both wallet and market devices can't describe the address if you use the wrong wallet address

The Bank Independent Network for the  
▲ Blockchain Generation  ▲ (https://bincoins.io/#livechat)
funchiestz

Activity: 1134
Merit: 342

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 05:07:04 PM

My friends and I have had a few bad examples. First of all, it is very difficult to find and find solutions. In the Forum, it will be nice to give a title and detailed information to the experts, and it will be nice if fixed to the head.

In general, such errors cannot be corrected! Although it is said to be done, it is very difficult to get back. I mean, it's always good to be careful.
budiarmed
Copper Member

Activity: 381
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 05:42:48 PM

I think you should try to forget your coins are lost due to carelessness in entering the address, and from that be careful and always check it first.

───[ PointGenieCoin ]───
─────────────[  ⭐ ⭐ Make money with your Social Media Content ⭐ ⭐  ]─────────────
─────────────[  TWITTER    |    INSTAGRAM    |    TELEGRAM  ]─────────────
slashz9

Activity: 1554
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 06:28:00 PM

i think if you already send your coin to wrong then can't be refund, otherwise if the receive want to send it back to you.
i have experience when send coin to contract address, and my coin always there, because wrong send type of coin not big amount, but still hurt  Embarrassed
asdlolciterquit

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 06:42:21 PM

On the contrary, what I know of on this is a wallet that does a thing like that. The coinomi wallet does something like that. If you input a receiver address and if the coin selected does not correspond with the receiver address, you can't send out.

You can download coinomi from play store.

yep, this might be helpfull, but i think that the real problem if i send, for example, 0.5btc to a btc address, but not the btc address i wanted!

i think that, banks, will always be better in this Sad
pishite

Activity: 966
Merit: 132

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 06:51:59 PM

If the coins are sent to an other address, the coins will not be returned. As far as I know, there is no way to return the coins back. The only solution to this issue is smart contracts, you can implement it this way: after sending the recipient must confirm that he received the coin, if not, the coins are returned to the owner.
cryptobae10

Activity: 658
Merit: 5

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2019, 07:02:59 PM

Hi guys

But!

I think there is little that can be done to this issue
Because crypto wallet app rejects address that are not in correlation with the token
I.e you can send bitcoin to eth wallet

But in a situation where the alphabets are mixed up ; there are little that can be done
Lund94 (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 4

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 08:31:29 PM

Nice to get your pov guys.. as i mentioned i didnt lose any coins, and i didnt mean any specific Coin, but i think that its a huge problem for the crypto world, that you're unable to retrieve lost coins..  especially when almost every banks areal able to revert transactions!

I mean if we want to digitalize currencies and make them anonymous, we really need to make it easy for "normal" people to use them, and also "safe" to use and idiot proof Wink.

Im working with IT and believe me you'd get surprised how stupid people are in general when they're using PC's - so imagine if You ask them to transfer some kind of digital currency to a digital wallet with 20+ characters - it's easy for me to Imagine how many coins would get lost   Roll Eyes Grin

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids a problem.
Twinkledoe

Activity: 1904
Merit: 138

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 08:51:30 PM

Nice to get your pov guys.. as i mentioned i didnt lose any coins, and i didnt mean any specific Coin, but i think that its a huge problem for the crypto world, that you're unable to retrieve lost coins..  especially when almost every banks areal able to revert transactions!

I mean if we want to digitalize currencies and make them anonymous, we really need to make it easy for "normal" people to use them, and also "safe" to use and idiot proof Wink.

Im working with IT and believe me you'd get surprised how stupid people are in general when they're using PC's - so imagine if You ask them to transfer some kind of digital currency to a digital wallet with 20+ characters - it's easy for me to Imagine how many coins would get lost   Roll Eyes Grin

This is very true. Some people who are not yet familiar with bitcoin will be scared if they will see their wallet address as combination of numbers and letters, they don't even know what to do next. Maybe, this is the reason why some people are still hesitant to create their account in their local crypto exchange. Non techie persons will find it hard at the start. They need to be familiar how it works first and read more before telling to the world that he has bitcoin addy.  Grin
mrdeposit

Activity: 1358
Merit: 509

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2019, 08:52:37 PM

As far as I know, if public keys are the same, it may be possible. Also, if this address belongs to the exchange, it is not possible to access the private key, and and you can not do without private key.
cryptjh

Activity: 532
Merit: 187

View Profile
April 09, 2019, 08:58:24 PM

If your wallet has sent the coins then you can't get them back, that the whole idea with no double spending, that the bitcoin network are build on. If you copy an address and your missing a letter, the bitcoin network will most like not send your bitcoins, their need to be a valid address to send your coins too, if you enter a bitcoin Cash or litecoin address, your coin will most likely be lost also.

It's really important to check the address when you send bitcoins or any other cryptos, I always double check the first 5-6 letters and the last 5-6 letters, to make sure they match, sometimes I even check the whole address.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: