Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 12:23:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Shouldn't this act be discourage?  (Read 597 times)
darklus123

Activity: 1246
Merit: 588

View Profile
April 17, 2019, 06:44:18 AM

I think adding a referral link is not illegal as long as you don't force users to just click on your link. For me this forum created separated functions for that and to keep it clean it should serve its function
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2019, 09:24:56 AM
Merited by LoyceV (1), Steamtyme (1)

The rule was seemingly put in place after discussing it with dogie, who if your not familiar with created a ton of the original "How to for Miners". Which was without a doubt very useful information. There were also some examples of threads that were deemed not worthy put forth by ..... ummmm ..... well you can read it.

To add some context, there was a discussion around the time I considered publishing on CoinDesk instead. They would have paid me, while the forum obviously does not. Similarly, I could have self-hosted (which I do, just as a backup on dogiecoin.com) and directed forum traffic to there, but that too seemed like a sub-optimal option.

I was merely looking to cover basic costs, and so discussed with Theymos about a revenue share on the forum ads shown on my threads - which wasn't insignificant given the traffic and CPMs back then. He decided it was easier to allow me to inject some of my own ads into the threads.

I'd have to check on a $ figure, but they didn't really make all that much IIRC and eventually, it wasn't worth the continued hassle of running the auctions, updating 30+ threads every 10 days, or the hassle some members would give.

Bttzed03
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1149

https://bitcoincleanup.com/

View Profile
April 26, 2019, 09:46:52 AM

For reference:
24. Advertisements (including signatures within the post area) in posts aren't allowed unless the post is in a thread you started and is really substantial and useful.
I think there should be no ads unless you are advertising something directly related to the thread's subject.

I don't see anything from your reference that says the ad should be related to the thread. I think "Substantial and Useful" refers to the content of the post and not the ad.
Steamtyme
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 2036

View Profile
April 26, 2019, 10:11:58 AM

~snip~

Man you're all over the place this morning, made for some good reading. Thanks for the context on this; I had no idea you were holding auctions for ad spots much like the forum advertising is done. When reading that I just assumed it was referral links you had worked out with manufacturers or parts sellers. Either way it made sense for your topics to serve as an example, I'm surprised there was so much backlash over something like that. Was it mostly from members who weren't able to get permission?

░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀█
███░░░▄██████▄▄░░░██
░░░░░█████████░░░░██▌
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░░████████████████
███▄░░▀██████▀░░░███
█▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄███
░░▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
░░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
Ripmixer
░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀█
███░░░▄██████▄▄░░░██
░░░░░█████████░░░░██▌
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░░████████████████
███▄░░▀██████▀░░░███
█▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄███
░░▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
░░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2019, 06:53:26 PM

For reference:
24. Advertisements (including signatures within the post area) in posts aren't allowed unless the post is in a thread you started and is really substantial and useful.
I think there should be no ads unless you are advertising something directly related to the thread's subject.

I don't see anything from your reference that says the ad should be related to the thread. I think "Substantial and Useful" refers to the content of the post and not the ad.

That was my understanding.

Man you're all over the place this morning, made for some good reading. Thanks for the context on this; I had no idea you were holding auctions for ad spots much like the forum advertising is done. When reading that I just assumed it was referral links you had worked out with manufacturers or parts sellers. Either way it made sense for your topics to serve as an example, I'm surprised there was so much backlash over something like that. Was it mostly from members who weren't able to get permission?

The general trolls and suchlike, but as the admin'ing in /hardware/ seems to be either non-existent or extremely biased (as it always has been), these trolls would litter my threads continually without repercussions.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: