Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 12:39:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's change to milli bitcoin already!  (Read 1379 times)
podyx (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 10:16:42 PM

God, why is nobody doing this...

It's retarded to pay 0.0005 bitcoin for a coke can Cool

I usually talk in milli bitcoin myself and ecourage others to do so too
arepo

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

this statement is false

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 10:18:51 PM

do you regularly pay for coke cans in postage stamps? or is BTC trading at a much higher price on your planet? Tongue

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
_tenletters

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 11:00:47 PM

It's a bigger problem than that. Bitcoin needs a semantic overhaul. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=511676.0
God

Activity: 169
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 03:18:03 AM

It's a bigger problem than that. Bitcoin needs a semantic overhaul. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=511676.0

Yes, there's suggestions we use mBTC as base unit, but uBTC would be even better as it has two decimals like most other currencies. XUB could be the currency code.

exponential

Activity: 94

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 03:23:52 AM

People don't want to feel like they own a fraction of something.  I'm all for the move to Milli even if I'm not 100% fond of the name.
niniyo

Activity: 118

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 03:25:49 AM

It's not a millibit, it's 100 kilotoshis!

10 "millibits" = 1 megatoshi
pungopete468

Activity: 1470
Merit: 504

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 03:38:55 AM

It's still too soon to change anything...

Any change in such an early stage of acceptance would be viewed negatively IMHO.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
niniyo

Activity: 118

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 04:04:56 AM

People don't want to feel like they own a fraction of something.  I'm all for the move to Milli even if I'm not 100% fond of the name.

"Milli" implies it is a fraction (1/1000th).  So moving to milli's doesn't totally solve that psychological problem.  That's why I think counting up from satoshis is better.
exponential

Activity: 94

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 04:09:44 AM

"Milli" implies it is a fraction (1/1000th).  So moving to milli's doesn't totally solve that psychological problem.  That's why I think counting up from satoshis is better.

I do like your idea a lot.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 05:03:39 AM

The decimals do make it confusing to count when spending, you always need a calculator handy, but millibits would take a lot to get used to as well. I haven't spent any btc so i am good for now. One thing is for sure, switching to millibits make your balance look much more baller.
jadehorse

Activity: 107

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 08:27:24 AM

satoshis is more convinient to count, as for me. but maybe I just need time to get used to
ZephramC

Activity: 475
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 12:11:52 PM

People should get used to it and calculate more. People are buing gold even if they own "fraction of kilogram".
This is like stupid posting "price per kg" on the packages of different weighted goods. Anyone should be able to do this math by himself and compare.
x86Daddy

Activity: 216

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 01:24:14 PM

Consider Bits!  http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1rmto3/its_bits/
thms

Activity: 427

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 03:45:41 PM

People should get used to it and calculate more. People are buing gold even if they own "fraction of kilogram".
This is like stupid posting "price per kg" on the packages of different weighted goods. Anyone should be able to do this math by himself and compare.

if you want widespread adoption you don't make people calculate more.. that's a poor business plan and a narrow minded approach.. you have to make them calculate less..

Besides, comparing with gold makes no sense... people don't use gold to buy coffee
thms

Activity: 427

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 03:52:24 PM

God, why is nobody doing this...

It's retarded to pay 0.0005 bitcoin for a coke can Cool

I usually talk in milli bitcoin myself and ecourage others to do so too

it's retarded and seems like the core developers are good with code but fail to understand the average person way of thinking.. Probably the devs are unfamiliar with inflation/deflation because most of them live in countries with stable currency and have trouble grasping the concept of a volatile currency.

shifting the decimal place could be implemented in the reference client and all other exchanges and clients would follow like they followed the current decimal place value

I heard that one of the main advantages of Bitcoin is that it's programmable money, so where is that if we can't even change something simple like this through code.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1301

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 03:52:57 PM

if you want widespread adoption you don't make people calculate more.. that's a poor business plan and a narrow minded approach.. you have to make them calculate less..

Besides, comparing with gold makes no sense... people don't use gold to buy coffee

This.  

Yes, those who can do math will do it, but people do not want to do math and many people think better in whole units.  The difference is marketing vs technical arguments about math and using a calculator.  It is a lot easier for the majority of people to miss a zero when entering 0.00005 and 0.000005.

But, as said above there is no standards body to impose standard units.  Setting a date in the future, and convincing a majority of large bitcoin exchanges/payment processors/web sites/developers etc to switch the default view to something else on that day is about the best you can hope for.

Luno

Activity: 504

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 03:55:34 PM

1/1 is also a fraction. Deflationary currencies needs a new mind set. Whole Bitcoins just make the Dollar look less valuable.
Brangdon

Activity: 365
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 09:04:15 PM

Actually I think of my gold in grams. I don't own a whole kilogram yet.

And I agree with the original poster. If I were to write an example using bitcoin, I'd use mBTC. 1 mBTC is worth about £4.

Bitcoin: 1BrangfWu2YGJ8W6xNM7u66K4YNj2mie3t Nxt: NXT-XZQ9-GRW7-7STD-ES4DB
ZephramC

Activity: 475
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 10:35:04 PM

Actually I think of my gold in grams. I don't own a whole kilogram yet.

And I agree with the original poster. If I were to write an example using bitcoin, I'd use mBTC. 1 mBTC is worth about £4.

And then the price of USD drops even more and what then? Another change to microbits?
I think that if the price stabilizes above 1000 USD/BTC, exchanges and merchants will be using mBTC. It is not hard to use prefixed unit as the "standard one". We use kilograms instead of grams.
But I am against redefining basic "bitcoin unit". So 1 BTC = 1 kilosomething.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: