Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:29:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does "sudo apt install bitcoind deborphan" install 0.15.1 instead of 0.17.1  (Read 244 times)
btc123thatthere (OP)

Activity: 131
Merit: 29

View Profile
April 15, 2019, 02:18:41 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Hi all

I installed bitcoin core on my raspberry pi 3 using "sudo apt install bitcoind deborphan" and I don't know why it hasn't ended up with the latest version.

Looks like I'm aiding inflation risk (even if a speck of sand worth so)
https://coin.dance/nodes (under "Inflation Protection")

I'm still surprised there's less than 10,000 full nodes in action, and only ~3500 with the latst rev.
If I was nonethewiser I would've guessed a few million. Same with TOR exit nodes; I saw there's only about 1000.

Anyone know how it ended up installing 15.1 instead of 17.1?

--

Also, out of interest, I wonder how many nodes have been running for longer than a week, month, year? And why they do so?
Then again, whenever I download a torrent it seems I hardly even get the chance to upload the amount I downloaded..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
April 15, 2019, 04:17:09 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1), Jet Cash (1)

Because your (unspecified) distro's repository is evidently out of date. Which Linux distro are you using? Are you using the latest version of it?

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
ABCbits
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 7497

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
April 15, 2019, 04:35:42 PM
Merited by bones261 (3), Jet Cash (2)

Most linux Distro don't include Bitcoin Core or have outdated version on their repository. What you should do are :
1. If you use Ubuntu, you can check this guide https://bitcoin.org/en/full-node#ubuntu-1604. Basically it will ask you to :

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:bitcoin/bitcoin
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bitcoin-qt bitcoind

2. Download latest version from https://bitcoin.org/en/download, extract and run it

As for history of total running nodes, you can check :
https://bitnodes.earn.com/dashboard
https://gitlab.com/Luke-Jr/my-bitcoin-dnsseed-historical-seeds.txt

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
btc123thatthere (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2019, 12:54:41 PM

Hi ETFbitcoin, I ran those 3 commands and ended up with 0.15.1 again.
These are similar to the instructions I followed to get this going originally: https://www.weusecoins.com/full-bitcoin-node-on-a-raspberry-pi-3-with-or-without-a-pidrive/#download

Hi Foxpup, I had trouble booting ubuntu-mate-18.04.2-beta1-desktop-armhf+raspi-ext4.img so I tried ubuntu-mate-16.04.2-desktop-armhf-raspberry-pi.img which worked, so that's what I'm using.

Looks like Ubuntu Mate need to update their Bitcoin Core image??

I managed to download the latest version, extract it and run it.

Cheers

For other linux novices:

- Downloaded the 32 bit version, but it didn't work. This must be because the version of Ubuntu Mate that I'm using is a 32 bit version. (I'm using Ubuntu Mate 16.04.2).
- Downloaded the latest 32-bit ARM version of bitcoin core:
Code:
wget https://bitcoin.org/bin/bitcoin-core-0.17.1/bitcoin-0.17.1-arm-linux-gnueabihf.tar.gz
- Extracted it:
Code:
tar xzf bitcoin-0.17.1-arm-linux-gnueabihf.tar.gz
- Installed it:
Code:
sudo install -m 0755 -o root -g root -t /usr/bin ~/.bitcoin/bitcoin-0.17.1/bin/*
(Don't forget the forward slash before the asterisk, otherwise it will report an error saying cannot stat '/home/yourusername/.bitcoin/bitcoin-0.17.1/bin2*': No such file or directory)
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2019, 01:44:29 PM
Merited by bones261 (3), ABCbits (1)

That's not possible. You might have made a mistake.

This repository is up-to-date with 0.17.1: https://launchpad.net/~bitcoin/+archive/ubuntu/bitcoin

Code:
sudo install -m 0755 -o root -g root -t /usr/bin ~/.bitcoin/bitcoin-0.17.1/bin/*

It is definitely discouraged to install for root.
You don't need root privileges to start core and in fact, you should not do so with root!

What you are downloading (as an archive) are arleady the binaries.
You can already run it, or copy them into /usr/local/bin:
Code:
cp /path/to/bitcoin-qt /usr/local/bin/.

Afterwards you can start core, simply by typing bitcoin-qt into the command line.

ABCbits
Legendary

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
April 16, 2019, 06:06:09 PM
Merited by bones261 (2)

As bob123 mentioned, their repository is updated, except for precise (Ubuntu 12.04) and artful (Ubuntu 17.10), where as your Ubuntu version is 16.04 (with codename xenial).

Few possibility :
1. Something when wrong when you execute command sudo-apt update which make Ubuntu there's no update.
2. You've added another repository which also serve Bitcoin Core, but have older version which causes conflict.

For package/application which comes from 3rd party repository, the one who should update it are repistory's owner manger, not Ubuntu developer or Canonical.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
btc123thatthere (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2019, 10:25:54 PM

I know that a few days ago I put Ubuntu Mate 16.04.2 on the micro SD card (nothing else), followed the instructions on https://www.weusecoins.com/full-bitcoin-node-on-a-raspberry-pi-3-with-or-without-a-pidrive/, used my external 1tb drive for the blockchain (which had a copy only two months old to update) and somehow I ended up with bitcoin core 0.15.1.
The blockchain on the 1tb drive was updated with 0.17.1 for what it's worth.

Wouldn't Ubuntu Mate 16.04.2 connect to the same repository as Ubuntu Mate 18.04.2 anyway?

As instructed on the weusecoins page, I removed the Ubuntu GUI.

For the sake of learning, how should I have entered
Code:
minus the root priledges?
Practically, what risks did doing this introduce? (Given that the Raspberry Pi and 1tb drive are single-purpose, meaning if all the data on micro sd card and 1tb drive were damaged, nothing irreplaceable would be lost.)
bob123
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2019, 06:18:11 AM
Merited by bones261 (2), ABCbits (1)

Code:
Practically, what risks did doing this introduce? (Given that the Raspberry Pi and 1tb drive are single-purpose, meaning if all the data on micro sd card and 1tb drive were damaged, nothing irreplaceable would be lost.)

You should always try to run software with the lowest possible privileges.

Not just because an exploit in this software would give an theoretical attacker instantly root privileges, but also because bugs can lead to misbehavior.
And it is better to have misbehavior happen with standard user privileges, than with root privileges.

In fact, if you wan't to keep your node running 24/7 and maybe use it as an node for your other wallets, it would be better to create a new user just for running bitcoin core.

Also, you don't have to 'install' it anymore.
You can simply run the binary already. Or - for convenience - move/copy it into /usr/local/bin.
There is no good reason to set root as the owner/group.

ABCbits
Legendary

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
April 17, 2019, 06:20:35 AM
Merited by bones261 (2)

Wouldn't Ubuntu Mate 16.04.2 connect to the same repository as Ubuntu Mate 18.04.2 anyway?

I don't know what i said apply to flavored/modified Ubuntu, but AFAIK :
1. it connects to same repository, but
2. Each Ubuntu version/release got different application version
3. LTS version prefer compatibility and stability. After few years, you won't able to get latest version of application.

If you want get latest version of all application, you must use newest version and update your Ubuntu regularly.

Code:

I rarely use install command, but AFAIK for install/modify application, you need sudoers ability.
I don't know about possible risks (besides you install malicious application to root user), but if you wary about it, you should install it to user/group who don't have sudoers privilege.

Personally i prefer use dpkg -i package_name.deb command or simply run an application with syntax ./bitcoin-0.17.1/bin/bitcoin-qt.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
bob123
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2019, 06:24:50 AM

Personally i prefer use dpkg -i package_name.deb command or simply run an application with syntax ./bitcoin-0.17.1/bin/bitcoin-qt.

Which definitely is the better way, but i would stick with 1 package manager.

If you have a .deb-file (which is not the case here, but still) you should install it using:
Code:
sudo apt-get install ./package_name.deb                              #Example for when in the same directory

This makes it later easier for you to find / uninstall those packages, compared to using apt-get for the repository and dpkg for manually downloaded packages.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: