Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:57:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are people losing faith?  (Read 3431 times)
sabiWabi (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 03:02:19 AM

Ah, faith, what an interesting term. On one hand it can and will cause you to turn a blind side, but on the other hand are payoffs you could not have imagined. I know skepticism is healthy, but why are people so quick in jumping off the bitcoin ship? I honestly believe that this technology, or what will come of it, will change the world. Freeing people from the source of all evil and suffering, money. Okay, maybe money isn't so bad, but the institutions that have arisen from it are arguably the cause of most contemporary world problems.

Back to the real question though, why so faithless?

I read somewhere that one of the early bitcoin developers said that between 2010 and 2014 there could be 1 to 4 bubbles.. Since there's is evidence that we just went through the first bubble( June 11') are there signs pointing towards another in the coming year? 

VIVA LA BITCOIN! Even at .10 cents a BTC you better stay true for the betterment of the human condition!

But really, thank's in advance for all input. Tongue

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Distribution

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 03:18:02 AM

Ah, faith, what an interesting term. On one hand it can and will cause you to turn a blind side, but on the other hand are payoffs you could not have imagined. I know skepticism is healthy, but why are people so quick in jumping off the bitcoin ship? I honestly believe that this technology, or what will come of it, will change the world. Freeing people from the source of all evil and suffering, money. Okay, maybe money isn't so bad, but the institutions that have arisen from it are arguably the cause of most contemporary world problems.

I read somewhere that one of the early bitcoin developers said that between 2010 and 2014 there could be 1 to 4 bubbles.. Since there's is evidence that we just went through the first bubble( June 11') are there signs pointing towards another in the coming year? 

VIVA LA BITCOIN! Even at .10 cents a BTC you better stay true for the betterment of the human condition!

But really, thank's in advance for all input. Tongue

I haven't posted in a few months. I lost faith with all the security problems and the subsequent volatility in exchange value. I am now regaining faith in it though as the exchange rate has stabilized (I watch it every day on my Android phone). Bitcoin has been good to me. The phone I mentioned was purchased with Bitcoins. I've bought tea, a shirt, a watch, all sorts of things. Sold a lot too. As I learn about digital security and care about my privacy, Bitcoin becomes more and more something I want to keep in my life. Plus I think it's awesome that I can spend it anywhere from my phone.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 03:25:06 AM

Hey Atlas!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 01:17:37 PM

Bitcoin is still seen as a high risk investment, with the rampant crisis in the world less people want to invest in it...

ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 01:49:55 PM

It makes sense to lose faith. Believing in something because of "faith" just means believing in it because you want it to be true.

If Bitcoin users were losing reason, that would be something to worry about.
JA37

Activity: 378

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 02:03:36 PM

What's in it for me?

Ponzi me: http://fxnet.bitlex.org/?ref=588
Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
Rockford99

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 03:06:00 PM

The Mt Gox hacks were particularly damaging.   Another issue is your "reference point."  I think these things started at $.06 and now are $3 - wildly successful.  Unfortunately most of the marginal adopters/recent buyers bought at prices much above current market, which is deterring them.  I'm underwater but view the current levels as very attractive.

Considering OWS on the left and the Ron Paul types on the right, it seems that the entire world will fumble it's way towards bitcoins.  Especially since very small transactions are viable and costless with bitcoin.  Every night I watch the news, I get more resolute that bitcoins will succeed. 

Currently the aggregate value is $22.5 million.  I can envision the worldwide transaction demand for bitcoins reaching $1-2 billion.  People want to opt out of the banking system and bitcoins are the most obvious substitute, imo.

Feel free to add to or challenge my points listed above.
TheMarketAnarchist

Activity: 44

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 12:28:30 AM

I won't say I exactly lost faith in Bitcoin but, after all the security problems with the exchanges and the online wallets, I grew concerned enough to back away a bit. Market volitility didn't scare me since I expected that with Bitcoin being a new currency. It's going to have growing pains.

I think we're facing a few major problems with the currency that we will need to work hard as a community to overcome:

1. Education. Most people don't even know that Bitcoin exists, why it exists, and why it's a better alternative that the money in their pocket. Hell, most people don't even understand the basics of why the money in their pocket is bad and unsustainable. We're going to have to address this bit time and repeatedly.

2. Criminality. Of the segment of the population that knows about Bitcoin, a good portion of them have been convinced that it's just an instrument to allow criminals to buy and sell stuff anonymously. Sure, you could tell them that cash is the exact same thing but they will see an exception as to why Bitcoin is the 'perfect thing for doing evil'. I've run into this mindset a lot over the last year or so. The media isn't helping and this might just overlap with the education need.

3. Physical access. There's just not a lot of real world 'hard' things available for purchase with Bitcoin. I love that there's a guy here selling beans for Bitcoin. That's the kind of stuff we need! Even if we overcome the first two points above, access to real world stuff is going to be a BIG reason why people don't use Bitcoin. Only the community can fix this.

So I'm not sure 'losing faith' is a good way to put the problem. I think a small portion of the community, probably those already on the fence about it, lost faith and jumped ship, but the true believers are still here and will be here. Now, it's just a matter of bringing along our friends an neighbors.

Regards,
TMA
sabiWabi (OP)

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 12:41:22 AM

I won't say I exactly lost faith in Bitcoin but, after all the security problems with the exchanges and the online wallets, I grew concerned enough to back away a bit. Market volitility didn't scare me since I expected that with Bitcoin being a new currency. It's going to have growing pains.

I think we're facing a few major problems with the currency that we will need to work hard as a community to overcome:

1. Education. Most people don't even know that Bitcoin exists, why it exists, and why it's a better alternative that the money in their pocket. Hell, most people don't even understand the basics of why the money in their pocket is bad and unsustainable. We're going to have to address this bit time and repeatedly.

2. Criminality. Of the segment of the population that knows about Bitcoin, a good portion of them have been convinced that it's just an instrument to allow criminals to buy and sell stuff anonymously. Sure, you could tell them that cash is the exact same thing but they will see an exception as to why Bitcoin is the 'perfect thing for doing evil'. I've run into this mindset a lot over the last year or so. The media isn't helping and this might just overlap with the education need.

3. Physical access. There's just not a lot of real world 'hard' things available for purchase with Bitcoin. I love that there's a guy here selling beans for Bitcoin. That's the kind of stuff we need! Even if we overcome the first two points above, access to real world stuff is going to be a BIG reason why people don't use Bitcoin. Only the community can fix this.

So I'm not sure 'losing faith' is a good way to put the problem. I think a small portion of the community, probably those already on the fence about it, lost faith and jumped ship, but the true believers are still here and will be here. Now, it's just a matter of bringing along our friends an neighbors.

Regards,
TMA

+1 on all of your 3 points. I think education and physical access will be the two things to shoot Bitcoins into the stratosphere.
bittenbob

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 01:08:21 AM

I think the problems with security should have been anticipated by people in a network that deals with a virtual currency. I think the fact the prices have stabilized a bit means people do still believe in Bitcoins and where the market goes from here is anyones guess. Since they are making apps for cell phones and other portable devices to transfer bitcoins I think the future of bitcoins will be bright. I think as someone said the only way to kill bitcoins is for everyone to stop mining all at once which I don't see happening in the immediate future.

The real thing that amazes me is that with the OWS movement Bitcoins haven't increased significantly in price.
Bemtje

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 06:59:24 AM

Too many people have invested too much time to give it up. Think of all the services and websites out there that use BTC's.

I myself have $30-$40k worth of hardware for mining BTC's, NMC's and SC's simultaneously. I'm averaging about $40 a day, and my monthly electric bill for the whole house averages $250 a month.

For me it's like a walk-in-the-park part time job that I enjoy, plus it's quite profitable.

BTC's will be around for many years to come IMO.
Bemtje

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 07:00:18 AM

I mean come on, people crunch SETI and fold @ home for FREE! Might as well do something similar and get PAID!
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2011, 07:03:22 AM

$30-$40k worth of hardware ...
mining SC's

I haven't realized someone could be that retarded.  Shocked
Bemtje

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 07:05:21 AM

Why not? I pay $275 for brand new 6970's,,, $190 for 6950's,,,, they earn me more than they depreciate.

I can very easily sell off my systems as gaming rigs, and part out the rest on ebay.

How is that retarded? Liquid assets FTW
Bemtje

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 07:06:34 AM

Like seriously, I can sell my USED 6970's for about the same as what I paid.

17.8 GH/s is how I roll.  Cheesy
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2011, 07:08:04 AM

You are most likely a sockpuppet troll, but in case the one in a million chance hits me: Try mining LTC for a change. SC srsly  Roll Eyes
Bemtje

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 07:22:51 AM

If you don't believe, see my other threads I started. The one with pics of the 7 rigs drawing 7 KW in my garage.

I've tried LTC, don't like it.

I prefer merged mining BTC's + NMC's and with my CPU's  ($140 I pay for X6 1100T's / $240 for 2600k's) I mine SC's.

I know the owner of a large distributor in town. I pay under cost. Long story, but I'm 30 years old and have no reason to BS on the internet.

RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 07:20:57 PM

Long story, but I'm 30 years old and have no EVERY reason to BS on the internet.

FTFY.
avoid3d

Activity: 70

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 07:38:24 PM

Bitcoin is still seen as a high risk investment, with the rampant crisis in the world less people want to invest in it...

Please explain why it is an investment?

avoid3d - Pierre Hugo
1avoid9FDvP15aKNyPGgJPcxfzMFM4Af6
Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 07:59:03 PM

Please explain why it is an investment?

Probably because the majority of the people who own Bitcoins have them because of the greater fool theory.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: