Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:44:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuse blowing every couple of months  (Read 406 times)
deskless (OP)

Activity: 279
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 16, 2019, 02:59:37 PM
Merited by nc50lc (1)

I have one rig which keeps blowing fuse every other month. Load is around 1550 wattage(12.5A). I am using 20A socket. Two PSU together 1850 is being used in the rig. 10 cards of mixed 570 and 580.

Any suggestions?
vmozara

Activity: 190
Merit: 59

View Profile
April 16, 2019, 03:06:09 PM

Is the fuse blowing when the rig starts (for example, after power outage) or in normal use?

What kind of fuse you have, is it automatic circuit breaker or old type one-time-use fuse?
deskless (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2019, 06:32:03 PM

Is the fuse blowing when the rig starts (for example, after power outage) or in normal use?

What kind of fuse you have, is it automatic circuit breaker or old type one-time-use fuse?
It is happening while rig is on for several days. The fuse is old style one time use.
ZombieWorm

Activity: 71

View Profile
April 16, 2019, 07:55:07 PM

Can you plug into a different 20a socket and see? There may be a flaw somewhere in your loop/spur and its warming up over time - doesn't sound great.
gt_addict

Activity: 2506
Merit: 622

View Profile
April 16, 2019, 08:05:48 PM

It is happening while rig is on for several days. The fuse is old style one time use.

have you checked logs or anything to see if a mining program is restarting causing a power surge on warmed up household cables?

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
deskless (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2019, 08:22:44 PM

have you checked logs or anything to see if a mining program is restarting causing a power surge on warmed up household cables?
Good point.
I will also bring down load by 2A to see if that stays good
igotek

Activity: 2072
Merit: 608

Online Security & Investment Corporation

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2019, 09:32:41 PM

use a good fuse Smiley Legrand and Siemens are the best

I cannot live, I cannot die, trapped in myself.
Hold my breath as I wish for death. Oh please god, help me !
vmozara

Activity: 190
Merit: 59

View Profile
April 16, 2019, 09:45:38 PM

There are several reasons what could be:

1. Your fuse is bad quality, or it is wrong rating
2. There was a power outage, or several power outages at short time. Current surge at both PSU powerups exceed the current rating and blows the fuse.
3. Load is more than what you think
4. Your PSU is going bad.

For point 1. It is possible your fuses are bad rating. Verify that it really is 20A fuse.
For point 2. When you power on the PSUs, especially 2 of them at the same time, there is massive current surge (2-5x more than rated) for very short period of time. In my opinion this is the most likely reason for your issues, that there was outage of power and then it blew up. Check if your fuse has a SNAIL marking on it (slow-blowing fuse, or delayed action fuse, what ever is the name, there will be a snail or letter T (timed) or letter L (lag) next to 20A rating)
3. Maybe your rigs lose some power optimizations after some time and run the cards overvolted. Very unlikely considering you would need more than 2.2KW of load to blow the fuse.
4. Very unlikely considering you experience this every few months
nc50lc
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 5718

Self-proclaimed Genius

View Profile
April 17, 2019, 04:05:13 AM

Have you checked the wiring for faulty connections and ratings? (ex. 12gauge+ wires for 20A) The most obvious signs are thin-looking wires in the circuit or bunch of "rat-tail" connections; if there's a problem, the wire or the connections will heat up and will "pop" your fuse.
If you're not qualified to do so, call for a professional electrician to do the job.

There's no other reasons for this other than faulty wiring since it's happening too often to be caused by a bad fuse, otherwise, frequent power outage.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
shiming

Activity: 798
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 17, 2019, 11:28:43 AM

Depending on your load, the size of the fuse used is no problem. If the fuse is always burned, it may be a problem with the fuse quality, or the circuit cable is aging, the temperature rises, and the current will increase. You need to check the line.

deskless (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2019, 01:20:51 PM

Have you checked the wiring for faulty connections and ratings? (ex. 12gauge+ wires for 20A) The most obvious signs are thin-looking wires in the circuit or bunch of "rat-tail" connections; if there's a problem, the wire or the connections will heat up and will "pop" your fuse.
If you're not qualified to do so, call for a professional electrician to do the job.

There's no other reasons for this other than faulty wiring since it's happening too often to be caused by a bad fuse, otherwise, frequent power outage.
I am not expert in it. However how can a lower quality wire burn the fuse. Every time I noticed that fuse was burned badly. Why the "wire or the connection will heat up" will cause "pop the fuse". Can you please explain?
Thanks a lot for your help.
nc50lc
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 5718

Self-proclaimed Genius

View Profile
April 17, 2019, 03:07:55 PM

-snip-
Low quality or even wrong type of wires and connections can have a lot of resistance mainly because of the current that flows in it had exceeded the limit.
When it happens, the wires will heat up and will cause the fuse to break because it is designed to "pop" before a circuit overload happens.

Since you're not an expert and there's certainly a problem, I suggest you to seek a professional to check-up your wiring.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Chicky213
Copper Member

Activity: 476
Merit: 4

View Profile
April 26, 2019, 10:16:16 PM

The fuse you are using might not be capable of taking so much power. Change it and get a better quality fuse. The kind of wiring done can be another factor causing the fuse burn. Change the fuse first, then if the problem persists, you can check the wiring and circuit connections. Once you do this I believe there will be a difference.
joseph32

Activity: 413
Merit: 21

View Profile
April 26, 2019, 10:40:10 PM

One more tip. Check the temperature of your fuses. If they are hot, just use a fan to blow fresh air to them. Helps alot.

Got the same problem with constantly turning off fuses. Since I cool them, I never had any trouble again.
TheHas

Activity: 616
Merit: 167

View Profile
April 27, 2019, 06:44:46 AM

I noticed that when I had multiple appliances on (heater, oven, computer, mining rig, tv etc) then the fuse would sometimes trip.

My guess is that your system is overloaded. Does it happen at the same time? For example, in the afternoon when you're home using appliances? That would be a pretty good indicator.

I live in an apartment, so the bad/cheap fuse situation is probably common for your typical inner city apartment. If you rent, you could get your landlord to arrange an electrician to come check it out - that's what I did, they replaced it and now everything is working fine.
VasilyS

Activity: 618
Merit: 21

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2019, 09:18:41 AM

It is normal for electrical chains. You have to have double reserve of the power. When electrical equipment is switching on there appear impulse electricity for few ms. It is the reason of blowing of your fuse.

❱  CRYPTOPROFI  ❱
EdvinZ

Activity: 994
Merit: 260

View Profile
April 27, 2019, 09:46:33 AM

As correctly noted above, you can install a better fuse. If the problem remains after this, then you will not be able to do without a professional electrician who will strengthen your electrical wiring. Electricity is an area where strict professionalism is needed.

dentolas

Activity: 854
Merit: 12

arcs-chain.com

View Profile
April 30, 2019, 07:14:16 AM

Well, my impression is that maybe you have the wrong wiring behind that 20A socket. If I'm not mistaken, for 20A in one phase you need at least 4mm wire.
2,5mm2 wire should be used to máx 16A but some people like to play with theoretical values and use it to 20A, causing excessive heating on the wiring...
It is still strange because the fuse should break by excess power, not wiring temp... but worth checking

► ARCS ◄ ♦ ARCS - The New World Token (*Listed on KuCoin) ♦ ► ARCS ◄
───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●─[   Bounty Detective   ]─●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───●✦●───
Website◂ | ▸Twitter◂ | ▸Medium◂ | ▸Telegram◂ | ▸Whitepaper
naska21

Activity: 1358
Merit: 635

View Profile
May 01, 2019, 07:00:36 AM

I have one rig which keeps blowing fuse every other month. Load is around 1550 wattage(12.5A). I am using 20A socket. Two PSU together 1850 is being used in the rig. 10 cards of mixed 570 and 580.

Any suggestions?

The problem may be that you are using two PSU. Even exactly the same type PSUs have  slightly different internal resistance , resulting in their incresing  distort (caused by temperature) and the current increase in the power supply circuit. Practice taught me to always use the single PSU for rig.
deskless (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2019, 09:59:35 AM

Any suggestions?

The problem may be that you are using two PSU. Even exactly the same type PSUs have  slightly different internal resistance , resulting in their incresing  distort (caused by temperature) and the current increase in the power supply circuit. Practice taught me to always use the single PSU for rig.
Slowly moving to a single PSU rig. When I started I went for 850W PSU and therefore had to double them in a rig. Currently, I am planning to just lower usage to below 10A for the socket and see if that helps.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: