Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 07:38:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are the Golden Days of Cryptos gone?  (Read 4224 times)
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 01:44:30 PM

Again its sad to see this thread being hijacked by two newbie accounts self promoting an alt.  Undecided

i laughed at this - best evidence your account is really new ha ha.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
sakkosekk

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 02:25:22 PM

Doubtful that its gone forever.  I wouldn't be surprised if it changes dramatically if/when bitcoin takes another spike in price with Wall St entering the fray.  I think its much more likely that the alt markets are cyclical.

Yes. This is just a slow cycle. I think from a mining/investment perspective you're going to need a longer outlook than 2 days. For example, take Goldcoin (GLD) that has a new java client coming in Spring. Mine that now and continue holding into June. That strategy should net you a sizable return.

+ 1

Goldcoin is the cryptocurrency with the greatest upside potential at the moment. Our research indicates that this coin is the one to watch.

What research?
anteater2009 (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 03:35:32 PM

Again its sad to see this thread being hijacked by two newbie accounts self promoting an alt.  Undecided

Feel free to use the ignore button. That's what I usually do these day, especially in the altcoin section Smiley

Sure!! Thanks!! will follow that.
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 03:53:00 PM

Sure, there's been alot of spamming and market saturation lately. But some good has come of it, a phoenix/s from the dust if you will.

Innovation.

I believe in time to come, be it 1, 2, 10 etc years, people will look back at bitcoin and sort of shake there heads. Yes there will be those that collect it and lawd it for sentimental reasons, it being the first crypto. But I think in time to come it may fade away and be overtaken by much better coins/  cryptocurrencies.

Believe it or not there are recently created coins that could will change the world with aiding scientific discoveries, breakthroughs etc and cure's. There are also coins that will make people ultra rich even if its price stays the same, and then coins that will by clever design and management, constantly move upwards at a sustainable rate.

So yes there are bad but there are also lots of good and this is part of the benefits of a free market. The marketcap of bitcoin will be overtaken and it may simply become a collectors item (albeit it will still be worth alot). A model T ford if you will, make way for the ferrari's, four wheel drive, and ultimately, F1's of the cryptocurrency world. Part of the problem is also short sightedness. If you look a little bit further up the road you will do well. Pumping and dumping may be fun but someone always loses and oneday that will be you.

Yes there are limits though when a market is saturated sure I agree, some organization is needed for ALL of us to do well from this train, not just the 1 percent DEV's creating the same coins over and over for self gain. I can only hope that some among us will rise up and provide said organization and leadership of this massive ship and with that, the future will certainly be as gold as the sun ever did shine.

hear hear
digitalindustry

Activity: 798

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 04:15:47 PM

I just love the topic heading:

"Are the Golden Days of Cryptos gone?"

I think that innovation is happening, wow i just joined up this forum when FTC got put from huge mining straight onto BTCe.

there was what 10 Scrypt currencies?

I joined up twitter to follow the Worldcoin debacle, i think the Golden days are ahead.

** i respect both FTC and WDC as currencies.

time smooths all these bumps eventually and then the design needs to take the step from mining spam on this forum to something actually useful to human beings.

some will make it lots won't . its all gold but.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
rockstar888

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 04:17:49 PM

possible.

though I feel bitcoin and litecoin might not be the only players.
lamontweaver

Activity: 85

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 04:46:35 PM

Stay away from Goldcoin and their scammers invading threads. Goldcoin has always been one of the worst scam coins.
http://cryptolife.net/goldcoin-the-scam-that-keeps-on-giving/

flounderella

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Bitcoin Evengelist

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 06:45:39 PM

To OP:

Yep, its over, pretty much. Doge, Vert and a couple of others that innovate or build actual communities will survive. Rest will go back to the dumpster from where they emerged. Yes I'm looking at you Pandas, Bees, Rabbits, Cages, Karmas, Rubys, Max/Min/Mean/Average/Sum/Multiple/Divide/Modulus etc

A little melodramatic huh. Referring to the gif
One Six

Activity: 281

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 08:21:02 PM
Last edit: March 13, 2014, 08:34:26 PM by One Six

I use to rent Scrypt miners sometimes. In Jan 2014, the cost of rental was around 0.02 BTC Price/Mh/day, today the cost is only 0.0075 BTC Price/Mh/day (http://www.betarigs.com/) .. and numerous rigs are available now. Back then Scrypt Rig owner's were able to recover the cost of investment in 3 months time, but with present scenario..maybe it would take atleast 8 or more months.

People always say Wall Street, Hedge fund group entering btc scene, but as like most of them I am losing hope. With BTC at ~$600, all those wall street, hedge should have entered and price spiked again.. I lost quite a money on betting alt-coins. Accepting it and trying to recover.

With BTC malleability issue and numerous security issues/hacks going on, ..I do not have a good feel about BTC's future.

Crypto concept is cool, but BTC and alt-coins are like... you printing your own notes and asking people to believe in magic and value. I hope Govt's will look for a way to digitize fiat. Just my opinion.

akumaburn

Activity: 281

The Gold Standard of Digital Currency.

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 09:56:04 PM

Its easy to talk bad about another coin on the internet..

Don't buy what you read, they are trying to tarnish our name because without their silly words it'd be a matter of who has the better coin and the fact is that GoldCoin (GLD) is the better coin.

1: No Goldcoins (GLD) were ever deleted, the main chain has survived, it has never been successfully forked.
2: No Goldcoins (GLD) were premined, a lot of the early coins were spread out except for 1.5M initially mined (fairly but really early) by the coin's founder who turned out to be an unstable individual and tried to kill the coin. We rescued it from his hands.
3: Hazard is a known scamcoin maker. Don't listen to a word he says.

http://thecryptoblog.com/the-anatomy-of-a-scamcoin-7-things-to-know-before-investing-in-an-altcoin-wait/
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 07:29:17 AM

Wow now I know what "DECENTRALIZED" means, it means BULLSHIT. Anyone having access to the FKINGCOIN.org website or being the OP on a thread can switch the wallet with a modified source and make everyone's coins worthless?

No I think you learned what CENTRALIZED means, as in the alt coin had such a small community that it was essentially one person.

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
CoinHumper

Activity: 58

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 07:39:43 AM

These cycles come and go. Just mine and hang on!
brooklynite

Activity: 266

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 08:15:09 AM

Wow now I know what "DECENTRALIZED" means, it means BULLSHIT. Anyone having access to the FKINGCOIN.org website or being the OP on a thread can switch the wallet with a modified source and make everyone's coins worthless?

No I think you learned what CENTRALIZED means, as in the alt coin had such a small community that it was essentially one person.

All these altcoins are CENTRALIZED then not just goldcoin.

This guy akumaburn if he is the OP on the [ANN] thread, he basically is the god of that coin, he can manipulate the wallet, fork the chain, create a new fake chain and have the new updated 1.2 wallet download the "fake" chain which he created to have some other people's coins move into his account.

There is no "decentralization" here, we are just kidding ourselves.

Bitcoin may be different somehow, but still, someone (or a few) has (have) the password to update the QT wallet on bitcoin.org which could change everything in a snap. He could put a code in there to take the coins out of 1% of the Bitcoin owners and send them to his own account. No one would care about that 1% screa,ing their lungs out in these threads. Many may not even find out before its late. Such a thing could completely destroy all altcoins.
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 08:45:17 AM

I use to rent Scrypt miners sometimes. In Jan 2014, the cost of rental was around 0.02 BTC Price/Mh/day, today the cost is only 0.0075 BTC Price/Mh/day (http://www.betarigs.com/) .. and numerous rigs are available now. Back then Scrypt Rig owner's were able to recover the cost of investment in 3 months time, but with present scenario..maybe it would take atleast 8 or more months.

People always say Wall Street, Hedge fund group entering btc scene, but as like most of them I am losing hope. With BTC at ~$600, all those wall street, hedge should have entered and price spiked again.. I lost quite a money on betting alt-coins. Accepting it and trying to recover.

With BTC malleability issue and numerous security issues/hacks going on, ..I do not have a good feel about BTC's future.

Crypto concept is cool, but BTC and alt-coins are like... you printing your own notes and asking people to believe in magic and value. I hope Govt's will look for a way to digitize fiat. Just my opinion.

Oh , bitcoin is not growing by 30% a month. Panic everyone Smiley))
There is no issue with the code. The problem is with the users and the idiots (scammers) behind the services.
If you're going to use a fork for chopping wood , something bad will happen , just like int he "possible" gox malleability issue.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 08:50:34 AM

All these altcoins are CENTRALIZED then not just goldcoin.

This guy akumaburn if he is the OP on the [ANN] thread, he basically is the god of that coin, he can manipulate the wallet, fork the chain, create a new fake chain and have the new updated 1.2 wallet download the "fake" chain which he created to have some other people's coins move into his account.

There is no "decentralization" here, we are just kidding ourselves.

Bitcoin may be different somehow, but still, someone (or a few) has (have) the password to update the QT wallet on bitcoin.org which could change everything in a snap. He could put a code in there to take the coins out of 1% of the Bitcoin owners and send them to his own account. No one would care about that 1% screa,ing their lungs out in these threads. Many may not even find out before its late. Such a thing could completely destroy all altcoins.

I don't know what you're smoking but don't do it anymore. At least not while you're on this forum.

Go back to the support section and do your homework again before even thinking of writing this things down.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
Minimaxa

Activity: 42

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 10:39:19 AM

Nothing has changed except the actual proof of what was already suspected, that mt gox were mismanaging clients funds and were caught out.   

As per any currency, stock or commodity these are ruled by perception and crowd sentiment and can be altered at any time by future events both positive and negative based on greed and fear.   

I talk to people all the time and the average layman are not involved in crypto at all or have a very vague idea as to how bitcoin actually operates.

The resemblance is similar to the beginning stages of the internet with some getting involved, others sitting on the sidelines watching and others laughing in skepticism as they do not understand the implications of what is currently happening.

The tools and vessels will alter and adapt over time but the idea is just too powerful to be ignored.

Do you really think that governments want to use paper currency in the future?

How are type writer sales going, encyclopedias, tape based storage, yellow pages?
LosingAlpha

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 12:47:32 PM

There used to be a time when miners used to mine altcoins and just hold them as an asset. I could just choose an altcoin, keep my miner pointed at for several weeks and finally sell it for a bargain (Not just dump it for the highest bidder). There were times when the value of altcoin just used to go up with difficulty level.

Now the altcoin scenario is highly saturated. New coins coming everday and miners are rushing to quickly mine-pump-dump the coins. Buy orders are also shrinking for most of the alts. Adding to this is new exchanges being announced for some of the new alts. So I cant just keep my miner pointed at a coin for more than 2 days. Ironically the value of some of the coins drops with increasing difficulty. A look at most of the topics in Alternate cryptocurrencies section just seem to be self promotion posts.

Simply I used to make 0.006 BTC per day with my 640Kh/s when BTC was 800 to 1000 USD. But now I'm not able to reach those levels (except when I caught the trains with Maxcoin, Myriad...) with BTC valued at 630 USD. Am I the only small scale miner here experiencing these or are you guys all switched to mining farm?
There's a huge amount of new blood coming into crypto currencies, they've only been paying attention since Dogecoin kicked off so are under the mistaken impression that the trick is to get in early and get out on the first pump. They haven't seen what a real price hike looks like yet and are just hopping around from coin to coin looking to make a quick buck. When bitcoin rallies again and the strong alts skyrocket they'll realise how much they've thrown away and settle down.

Just work on stockpiling the stronger coins. The landscape will be very different 6 months from now.

bl0ckchain

Activity: 98

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 12:57:48 PM

There's a huge amount of new blood coming into crypto currencies, they've only been paying attention since Dogecoin kicked off so are under the mistaken impression that the trick is to get in early and get out on the first pump. They haven't seen what a real price hike looks like yet and are just hopping around from coin to coin looking to make a quick buck. When bitcoin rallies again and the strong alts skyrocket they'll realise how much they've thrown away and settle down.

Just work on stockpiling the stronger coins. The landscape will be very different 6 months from now.

Excellent advice.

Once the Wallstreet money starts flowing in the cream of the altcoin crop with be rewarded the most. Coins with strong branding will rise to the top. Then when word gets out there's a new Satoshi in town, the markets will certainly rally.
sharted

Activity: 210
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 01:13:18 PM

We had an era like this end of last year, but then it bounced back bigtime (a few journo articles brought new money in).

However this time the market is completely saturated and still more coins being pumped out at an alarming rate, more added to exchanges and more people draw into the latest pump n dump scams.

Too much greed, too many wanting quick profits, and few people even remembering the point to cryptocurrencies.

Exactly, I wrote a blog recently about this. Basically, too many new coins coming out and no new buyers means less money to go around. It seems to me as though most altcoins will die a slow death. The reason the devs keep making them is cos they net about $50,000 from their premine each and every time. A lucky few who watch altcoin  releases like a hawk can make a small profit but nothing to justify mining being a full time job that's for sure. I stopped mining a few weeks ago because the electricity prices in the UK are atrocious. If things pick up again I will start mining but for now I'm done.

atp1916
Legendary

Activity: 854

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 01:29:01 PM

Altcoins have always come and gone.  The difference then is that a coin took months to die out.

As it were, at the current time that entire process has simply been accelerated (to literally days) with the larger number of market resources such as exchanges, upcoming coin release scheduling, multipools etc.  It's simply far easier to pump n dump and let die.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: