Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 03:56:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Over $100B funds are stored on private wallets not controlled by VASPs  (Read 132 times)
jjbanks994 (OP)

Activity: 255
Merit: 3

View Profile
April 23, 2019, 10:56:02 PM

https://ciphertrace.com/response-to-fatf-on-vasp-regulation/

Came across this response to FATF regulations by Ciphertrace how there is no identifying information other than the public cryptographic key of the address that controls these funds. That is a ton of money to just be locked out and unregulated. thoughts?
coinplus
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1058

View Profile
April 24, 2019, 08:49:01 AM

Came across this response to FATF regulations by Ciphertrace how there is no identifying information other than the public cryptographic key of the address that controls these funds. That is a ton of money to just be locked out and unregulated. thoughts?
I believe that the funds was locked out by an individual or a government, so I don't think it's our business what one does with their money since it's on the blockchain, maybe it is an act of money laundering, but who cares, I believe we have the blockchain for anonymity and this person or body wants their funds to be anonymous.

I think we should talk about better things happening in the crypto space then monitoring people funds, it is even very possible that the coins are owned by miners who have been mining for years without spending their funds.
Adriano2010

Activity: 1414
Merit: 516

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2019, 05:46:24 PM

Well this can really be someone who has lot of coins, or just an institution, but even so no one will think to dump so much coins on market because will make a huge mistake to sell the coins for low if sell all on same time, and we should not be worried about.
jjbanks994 (OP)

Activity: 255
Merit: 3

View Profile
April 25, 2019, 10:05:13 PM

I believe that the funds was locked out by an individual or a government, so I don't think it's our business what one does with their money since it's on the blockchain, maybe it is an act of money laundering, but who cares, I believe we have the blockchain for anonymity and this person or body wants their funds to be anonymous.

I think we should talk about better things happening in the crypto space then monitoring people funds, it is even very possible that the coins are owned by miners who have been mining for years without spending their funds.

That's a pretty fair assumption and interesting thought about the miners. I would love to know the percentage of hodlers in the space. My question then becomes do you think money laundering is fair if you are involved in crypto?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: