Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:39:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Raspberry Offline Version  (Read 159 times)
Aurik (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 3

View Profile
April 24, 2019, 02:41:58 PM

Dear,
I still have an old Armory Build (v. 0.93.3) installed on my Raspberry (for offline sign)
but i would like to update so it supports Segwit and all fixes like fragmented backup and so on.

Im not quite familiar with Linux in general so my questions are:

1) Is there any new Offline-Bundle available? At https://btcarmory.com/releases/  I can only find a Raspberry-Package for 93.3

2) How can I update without a new Packet and without an internet connection to the Raspberry? I tried to download the new Ubuntu-Release on an online computer and transport it with a usb-stick to the offline-Raspberry, but could not install it there...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
PhoenixFire

Activity: 270
Merit: 36

View Profile
April 24, 2019, 06:18:11 PM

As you found out... the Ubuntu release won't work: The Pi uses an entirely different processor architecture to a normal pc.

I can provide a build but frankly you shouldn't trust it. If you ask goatpig very nicely he might compile an up to date and official build for Raspberry Pi - it has been a while since we had one but you could be waiting a while longer.

Unfortunately you'll likely need to compile it yourself, ideally on a more powerful box than a Pi.
https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory/tree/master/r-pi
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 25, 2019, 12:31:48 PM

My issue with RPi packages isn't compiling the binaries. Rather, it's creating the .deb. The deb is built with dpkg-makepackage, which itself attempts to configure the project before building. Since moving the project from plain makefiles to autotools, dpkg-makepackage won't play nice with the cross compiling arguments that yields arm binaries.

The crux of the issue is I don't have enough expertize with autotools, nor do I have the time to bang my head against it to figure it out right now. If someone wants to take on this and submit a patch and/or instructions, I'll put out RPi builds for 0.96.5. Otherwise, it's gonna have to wait.

PhoenixFire

View Profile
April 26, 2019, 02:20:39 AM
Merited by Carlton Banks (1)

My issue with RPi packages isn't compiling the binaries. Rather, it's creating the .deb. The deb is built with dpkg-makepackage, which itself attempts to configure the project before building. Since moving the project from plain makefiles to autotools, dpkg-makepackage won't play nice with the cross compiling arguments that yields arm binaries.

The crux of the issue is I don't have enough expertize with autotools, nor do I have the time to bang my head against it to figure it out right now. If someone wants to take on this and submit a patch and/or instructions, I'll put out RPi builds for 0.96.5. Otherwise, it's gonna have to wait.
Many hours later and I now know a lot more about debian packaging and dpkg-buildpackage than I ever wanted to.
I have something that compiles with light changes to make_deb_package.py and the debian/rules. Autotools config untouched.
I'm assuming you're not planning on submitting this to the Raspbian/Debian repo? Smiley I set the bar at getting it working, rather the rabbit hole of debian multiarch packaging requirements!

goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 26, 2019, 04:30:30 AM

I'm assuming you're not planning on submitting this to the Raspbian/Debian repo?

Hell no! Do you have any idea how miserable it is to get a package approved? This stuff is high up there with patent drafting and contract law on the list of the most needlessly convoluted procedures.

I have something that compiles with light changes to make_deb_package.py and the debian/rules. Autotools config untouched.

Great, submit a PR please.

PhoenixFire

View Profile
April 27, 2019, 12:34:36 AM

Hell no! Do you have any idea how miserable it is to get a package approved? This stuff is high up there with patent drafting and contract law on the list of the most needlessly convoluted procedures.
Ha! I got enough of a taste of the requirements when I was digging for information and trying to understand the tools. When multiarch packaging was described as self inflicted pain, by the docs themselves, I did my best to avoid it!

Great, submit a PR please.
https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory/pull/587
Hope it is okay, or at least a good starting point.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: