Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:35:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: RVN GPU ROI Mining Analysis - (Updated)  (Read 3519 times)
WickedPigeon (OP)

Activity: 345
Merit: 16

View Profile
June 24, 2019, 04:22:12 PM

Again, Mr Pigeon, I'd appreciate it if you could actually share the spreadsheet itself, so that everyone could plug in their own numbers/algos/khw rates etc. It would be a very helpful addition to my XL-folder! Grin

See if this works...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1F0ePozi6wHmooaKiUwbTmQSyEri744_bT97jsutuPYU/edit?usp=sharing

“How did you go bankrupt?” Bill asked.

“Two ways,” Mike said. “Gradually and then suddenly.”
WickedPigeon (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2019, 04:50:58 PM

I must say nvidia suck in mining compared with 200$ vega 56, 1.43$/day , - electric = 1$/day
Im sure you have the same spreadsheet to prove your words? What coin, ROI, daily profit, etc, etc...

He's right if you just look at it today. I only have one Vega56, but after adjusting the hashrate for my miner's fee and the pool fee, I get a net 2094 h/s on Monero for 185W at the wall (it averages a little over 2160 h/s before accounting for fees) . That's currently $1.44/day - (185W/1000*24*$0.10) = $0.99/day net profit. Of course, it takes a little more knowledge and effort to set up a Vega56 than an Nvidia card and a couple months ago it was barely breaking even while a lot of NVidia cards were still making decent profits (e.g. At one point, my GTX 1060s were making $0.25+ per day on Grin while my Vega 56 was making $0.01 on Monero), but at least that's some info to plug into a spreadsheet for people to analyze on their own.

This is why I do a spreadsheets... I don't agree with your math.

A Vega56 costs $270 plus tax and shipping where I am in the U.S. But let just say it's $270 all in. (This is confirmed by PCPartsPicker.com). Then you look up Whattomine.com and the top coin for this GPU, as I type this, is Monero. Vega56 earns 1.20 less .51 for electric equals $.69 profit a day.  Maybe you do a little better and earn 5% more, call it $.73 a day. That equals an ROI of about 370 days. Not bad, but in the same range as the best Nvidia mining cards. Basically the market stays in some type of floating balance where miners float to the best profits over time.

There are a lot of variables - are you a Spec Miner or a Cash Miner or a Hybrid of the two. What coins/protocols do you believe are worth mining/holding. How much are you investing. There are lots of drivers. Every miner has a different path, that doesn't make them right or wrong, just different strokes for different folks.

You do you and good luck.

bakermining76

Activity: 31
Merit: 7

View Profile
June 25, 2019, 03:48:46 AM

I must say nvidia suck in mining compared with 200$ vega 56, 1.43$/day , - electric = 1$/day
Im sure you have the same spreadsheet to prove your words? What coin, ROI, daily profit, etc, etc...

He's right if you just look at it today. I only have one Vega56, but after adjusting the hashrate for my miner's fee and the pool fee, I get a net 2094 h/s on Monero for 185W at the wall (it averages a little over 2160 h/s before accounting for fees) . That's currently $1.44/day - (185W/1000*24*$0.10) = $0.99/day net profit. Of course, it takes a little more knowledge and effort to set up a Vega56 than an Nvidia card and a couple months ago it was barely breaking even while a lot of NVidia cards were still making decent profits (e.g. At one point, my GTX 1060s were making $0.25+ per day on Grin while my Vega 56 was making $0.01 on Monero), but at least that's some info to plug into a spreadsheet for people to analyze on their own.
2*1063 that costs about $100 from second hand each gives about $1.20 even at wtm.  Your Vega was great yesterday, today it falls down again. Make your spreadsheet and collect information week by week to see the whole situation.

Absolutely agree and that constant fluctuation is why I diversified gpu purchases over time. I personally have everything from 2080Ti down to RX470 and most every card in between. But since the prior poster didn't provide any info, I was just putting the info out there for others who might be interested in adding it to their spreadsheets.
dragonmike

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

View Profile
June 25, 2019, 06:32:40 PM

Again, Mr Pigeon, I'd appreciate it if you could actually share the spreadsheet itself, so that everyone could plug in their own numbers/algos/khw rates etc. It would be a very helpful addition to my XL-folder! Grin

See if this works...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1F0ePozi6wHmooaKiUwbTmQSyEri744_bT97jsutuPYU/edit?usp=sharing
Fantastic, thanks a bunch, was able to save it as .xlsx and can now tinker with my own figures!
RVN was good to start the comparison, but there are now more profitable options (and/or more options that are profitable) so I'll tweak accordingly!
CreamyG31337

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 01, 2019, 10:18:58 PM

this is really helpful, thanks. would be nice to see some other algo's but should be easy since you've shared the spreadsheet.

BTC tip jar: bc1qtepyll2c9fkn67wpnhunclw4mf39nc2jx79zdh
mak013

Activity: 2408
Merit: 757

View Profile
July 02, 2019, 11:22:03 AM

See if this works...
Fantastic, thanks a bunch, was able to save it as .xlsx and can now tinker with my own figures!
RVN was good to start the comparison, but there are now more profitable options (and/or more options that are profitable) so I'll tweak accordingly!
RVN or ETH are nice to compare because they are known by the most part of the miners and it`s possible to calculate without taking miners to your own coins with much profit.
And RVN regularry pumps good, it can be nice strategy to mine it and wait. But this is not surely.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
████████████▄▄██▄▄
████████████████████▄▄
░████▄▄████████████████
░█████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀██▀
█████████████████░▄██▄
████████████████░░▀██▀
███████████████
███████████
██████████
█████████
████████
██████████
WickedPigeon (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2019, 03:09:00 PM

Well the Alt coin world isn't setting any fires so the ROI has dipped  Undecided with the Alt coin prices.
With the announcement of the new "Super" line of RTX GPUs, I thought we would see prices a bit lower.... But no...
Prices are higher at the low end and steady at the high end. Some good sales, but they are hard to find and go fast...

mak013

View Profile
July 04, 2019, 05:23:46 AM

Well the Alt coin world isn't setting any fires so the ROI has dipped  Undecided with the Alt coin prices.
With the announcement of the new "Super" line of RTX GPUs, I thought we would see prices a bit lower.... But no...
Prices are higher at the low end and steady at the high end. Some good sales, but they are hard to find and go fast...
I think we have to wait some time, the prices will normalize. And with BTC pump-dump we cant predict the best or stable altcoin and RVN now is just "one of". grin-beam are seriosly more profitable in a moment.

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
████████████▄▄██▄▄
████████████████████▄▄
░████▄▄████████████████
░█████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀██▀
█████████████████░▄██▄
████████████████░░▀██▀
███████████████
███████████
██████████
█████████
████████
██████████
WickedPigeon (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2019, 02:19:32 PM

grin-beam are seriosly more profitable in a moment.

I thought that too, so I re-aimed a bunch of rigs at Grin-29. Turns out not to so easy; first, Whattomine over-estimates how much you can earn on Grin and under-estimates RVN; second, Grin was hard to setup, hard to stabilize the mining and hard to cash out (although I did do it, it's not so straight forward). I didn't like any of the pools - F2pool nor Grinmint. After a couple of days of mining, I saw that Grin-29 was earning more $ than RVN, but by only a small amount, less than a % or two.

So my experience with Grin was mixed. Personally, I prefer RVN. So I went back to RVN.

mak013

View Profile
July 05, 2019, 07:17:28 AM

I thought that too, so I re-aimed a bunch of rigs at Grin-29. Turns out not to so easy; first, Whattomine over-estimates how much you can earn on Grin and under-estimates RVN; second, Grin was hard to setup, hard to stabilize the mining and hard to cash out (although I did do it, it's not so straight forward). I didn't like any of the pools - F2pool nor Grinmint. After a couple of days of mining, I saw that Grin-29 was earning more $ than RVN, but by only a small amount, less than a % or two.

So my experience with Grin was mixed. Personally, I prefer RVN. So I went back to RVN.
Do you want sell it at pump or mine-sell? For all the time rvn exists - it pumped many times, so it can be a several weeks/months investment with huge profit.
PS. I have lots of 1063, so grin is unaviable for me and beam shows 5-20% more then rvn for last 3-4 weeks.

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
████████████▄▄██▄▄
████████████████████▄▄
░████▄▄████████████████
░█████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀██▀
█████████████████░▄██▄
████████████████░░▀██▀
███████████████
███████████
██████████
█████████
████████
██████████
bakermining76

Activity: 31
Merit: 7

View Profile
July 05, 2019, 08:17:36 AM

I haven't mined RVN in a while, so I can't comment on that, but I've found WTM's estimates to be well below what I actually make with my miners on Grin. For example, I made 23.43 Grin over the last 7 days with 6xP106 + 2x2060 + 2070 + 2x1080 mining Grin29 and 2080Ti + 1080Ti mining Grin31 (and probably 20 hours of that time, I was using one of the 2060s for gaming, so it wasn't actually mining). According to WTM, I should have made 18.96 Grin over that period. I haven't found this sort of difference to be unusual so far. Now, it could be because I only look at 7-day numbers (Profitability 7-day / Difficulty Avg 7-day) on WTM and they're just way off, but my results have been higher than WTM projections pretty consistently for the 3-4 months I've been mining on Luxor. That wasn't necessarily the case on F2pool, Sparkpool or Grinmint before that, but I assume that's due to a combination of where I live (lowest rejects and highest poolside G/s for me on Luxor) and the difference in fees (F2pool being 2nd best for me, but 2% more fees).

As to the difficulty, yeah it's not quite as simple, but not too bad once you figure it out.
mak013

View Profile
July 05, 2019, 11:24:04 AM

I haven't mined RVN in a while, so I can't comment on that, but I've found WTM's estimates to be well below what I actually make with my miners on Grin. For example, I made 23.43 Grin over the last 7 days with 6xP106 + 2x2060 + 2070 + 2x1080 mining Grin29 and 2080Ti + 1080Ti mining Grin31 (and probably 20 hours of that time, I was using one of the 2060s for gaming, so it wasn't actually mining). According to WTM, I should have made 18.96 Grin over that period. I haven't found this sort of difference to be unusual so far. Now, it could be because I only look at 7-day numbers (Profitability 7-day / Difficulty Avg 7-day) on WTM and they're just way off, but my results have been higher than WTM projections pretty consistently for the 3-4 months I've been mining on Luxor. That wasn't necessarily the case on F2pool, Sparkpool or Grinmint before that, but I assume that's due to a combination of where I live (lowest rejects and highest poolside G/s for me on Luxor) and the difference in fees (F2pool being 2nd best for me, but 2% more fees).

As to the difficulty, yeah it's not quite as simple, but not too bad once you figure it out.
WTM helps to understand basic number. You can compare your coin with the top of wtm, what profit you can get basic. Even to get right hashes you`d better to count your real hashes, not that wtm count by GPUs

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
████████████▄▄██▄▄
████████████████████▄▄
░████▄▄████████████████
░█████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀██▀
█████████████████░▄██▄
████████████████░░▀██▀
███████████████
███████████
██████████
█████████
████████
██████████
talha5007

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 09, 2019, 09:26:26 AM

https://i.imgur.com/AHbHC6h.png

thanks for this graph, but what i have calculated from nicehash is completely different.
https://i.imgur.com/loJOBfKl.jpg
i have calculated with hardware cost, mining profitability - electricity cost.
mak013

View Profile
July 09, 2019, 10:29:19 AM

thanks for this graph, but what i have calculated from nicehash is completely different.

i have calculated with hardware cost, mining profitability - electricity cost.
Your image dont work in such a way, i reload it. I`d like to read another point of view, yet, i counted yesterday several algos with different GPUs with my point of view, it would be interesting to compare.

UPD The TS is calculating only NVIDIA GPUs and in your spreadsheet we see he is right. As for the dayly/weekly profit you can see that even in 5 day difference BTC costs $12700 and $11020.

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
████████████▄▄██▄▄
████████████████████▄▄
░████▄▄████████████████
░█████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀██▀
█████████████████░▄██▄
████████████████░░▀██▀
███████████████
███████████
██████████
█████████
████████
██████████
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
July 09, 2019, 01:03:01 PM

All these calculations are pretty useless in the long run - main variable is bitcoin price, then altcoin price, then difficulty.  ROI is useful to compare GPU's with days left to recover cost.  Without electricity to be simple, but if your cost is medium/high you need to factor it in.  So new 5700 is 450$, lets say mines @ 45mhs = 10$/mhs = 308 days.  2 useful metrics, price per hash and days left.
Rough prices in cad for used market: Assuming mining average algo, not most profitable like zhash right now, (no electric)
1070 = 1.09 = 300$ = 275 days
1080ti = 1.9 = 650$ = 342 days
470/570/480/580 = 1.03 = 100$ = 97 days

So in my book anything ressembling 3 months ROI is a strong buy, but then you need to consider %costelectric/income and what % is comfortable for you.  This part is very important, and is why many people fail - where does the price need to fall before you shut your GPU ?  So my opinion is these calculations - very useful for buying/selling - not useful for profit projections or actual profits.  Because as others have said, you dont necessarily just mine for cash.  that would be....inefficient.
WickedPigeon (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2019, 02:11:15 PM
Last edit: July 09, 2019, 02:28:48 PM by WickedPigeon

All these calculations are pretty useless in the long run - main variable is bitcoin price, then altcoin price, then difficulty.  

Agree and Disagree -

Agree - main variable is bitcoin price, then altcoin price, then difficulty I agree, I agree. I've said it before too. Future prices are the biggest effect on return. Too often I see discussions about electric costs as the biggest driver, which is true only if you are 100% cash mining. Otherwise, while Kwh/$ has an effect of return, it's nothing compared to BTC and Alt prices.

Just go back to when I first posted this thread on April 24, BTC was $5,400. Today, as I write this, BTC is up over a 130% since then. That changes everything... My mining strategy has been spread across Spec/Cash/Swap to BTC.  The Swap mining I did through last year and early this year looks really good at this moment. For me, my ROI on my mining strategy is working out very well. I know that some people have done better and others - not so well. Every miner their own path.

Disagree - "All these calculations are pretty useless in the long run" - I posted this worksheet because I was tired of the posts that misrepresent the ROI on buying new GPUs. There has been tons of mis-information posted in other threads. So this isn't meant to be a absolute answer on what to do, but rather a starting point to what is the current market offering.

This analysis is/was created to take a snapshot in time, as one of many tools in deciding what to do. Mining and Crypto is a new asset class, there is risk and there is volatility. Today's 52% ROI will fluctuate, going negative or positive by a lot of %s. You really need to have a high tolerance for fluctuation if you are mining Crypto.  

Mining isn't for everyone. Some are better off buying/investing/trading or just walking away.

fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
July 10, 2019, 03:34:37 PM

well I thank you for putting this thread up, we all have our tricks and habits xD.
mak013

View Profile
July 11, 2019, 12:22:53 PM

Disagree - "All these calculations are pretty useless in the long run" - I posted this worksheet because I was tired of the posts that misrepresent the ROI on buying new GPUs. There has been tons of mis-information posted in other threads. So this isn't meant to be a absolute answer on what to do, but rather a starting point to what is the current market offering.

This analysis is/was created to take a snapshot in time, as one of many tools in deciding what to do. Mining and Crypto is a new asset class, there is risk and there is volatility. Today's 52% ROI will fluctuate, going negative or positive by a lot of %s. You really need to have a high tolerance for fluctuation if you are mining Crypto.  

Mining isn't for everyone. Some are better off buying/investing/trading or just walking away.
This is an useful information for me at least to choose what GPUs are the best for my purposes and conditions. I don`t think that the ROI would be such as in the spreadsheet but i can choose GPUs and decide what i will do the next 2-3 years.
Thx for work and dont stop.

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
████████████▄▄██▄▄
████████████████████▄▄
░████▄▄████████████████
░█████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀██▀
█████████████████░▄██▄
████████████████░░▀██▀
███████████████
███████████
██████████
█████████
████████
██████████
WickedPigeon (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 08:35:12 PM

These are estimates on the New "S" class...

mak013

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 10:19:43 AM

These are estimates on the New "S" class...
2060s looks nice. But it`s for x16r. One more trouble is that it have just 6Gb memory. It can become a problem some time later. I havent calculate it yet, but 1660 looks like the best choice for me yet. May be used 1080ti with nice price, but i dont sure about it.