Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 12:51:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Better Exchanges p2p, Exchanges Question (volume)  (Read 258 times)
TimeBits (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 62

View Profile
April 28, 2019, 04:45:25 PM

What stops a exchange from buying and selling a coin repeatedly to increase volume? if they don`t have to pay tx fees on transactions. They can manipulate volume numbers to promote coins they want to sell.

I really like the idea of not giving my coins to a "bank" (mt.gox, poloniex, quadriga, dragonex, bithump, the list goes on) all of these have been hacked. I have lost bitcoins on 3 of the sites.

What is the point from removing coins from exchanges? Why add them in the first place? I really wonder how many people have lost their coins due to exchanges doing this and not having a way to send the coins back to the user, The coins will die out on their own anyways if no progression is being made or people do not see the value in it anyways.

Why not just keep your coins in your wallet? and exchange p2p? Now there is no middle man to take a cut from Joe trading apples with Sally for oranges.
https://imgur.com/a/jjMWFWN

Genemind

Activity: 1596
Merit: 335

View Profile
April 28, 2019, 06:19:17 PM

What is the point from removing coins from exchanges? Why add them in the first place?

This is where exchange earn, thru listing coins their platform will gain volume which attracts traders and other potential coins to use their platform, which will give them more profit. So, basically it's all about profit.

Why not just keep your coins in your wallet? and exchange p2p? Now there is no middle man to take a cut from Joe trading apples with Sally for oranges.

This is possible, and I guess most people do this but based on the market price. But, take note that the price of cryptocurrency is derived from the market demand driven by market activity not by personal exchange between parties.
TimeBits (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2019, 09:05:31 PM

This is possible, and I guess most people do this but based on the market price. But, take note that the price of cryptocurrency is derived from the market demand driven by market activity not by personal exchange between parties.

What do you mean? There is still a demand and people trading btc in a decentralized exchange and market price

turkandjaydee

Activity: 1456
Merit: 567

View Profile
April 29, 2019, 06:42:09 AM
Last edit: April 29, 2019, 07:26:52 AM by turkandjaydee

What stops a exchange from buying and selling a coin repeatedly to increase volume? if they don`t have to pay tx fees on transactions. They can manipulate volume numbers to promote coins they want to sell.
I think there is still no absolute way to prevent it but at least people are still be able to learn how to avoid it. Even its not so hard to spot the fake volume if you analyze the order book.

What is the point from removing coins from exchanges? Why add them in the first place? I really wonder how many people have lost their coins due to exchanges doing this and not having a way to send the coins back to the user, The coins will die out on their own anyways if no progression is being made or people do not see the value in it anyways.
This is simple business, if the exchange's team think that they will benefit from listing the coin, then they will list the coin. But if the coin no longer benefits the exchange or even makes the exchange suffer losses.

Well, there is no problem with this thing as far as you can find someone to trade your coins if you want to trade them.
The thing is , people will be able to trade their tokens with any amount they want on the exchange because people can put a buy and sell order.
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
April 29, 2019, 06:53:57 AM

not only nothing is stopping them from doing that but also all of them are already faking their volumes in order to compete with each other and get a higher "rank" among exchanges. it doesn't have to be a constant buy/sell either there are other ways of faking the volume. it doesn't really affect the market that much though because traders don't look at volume, they look at price movement and if they are willing to buy in a way to increase the price (hence create the incentive for people to buy a certain coin) then so be it, there is nothing wrong with that since it is actual orders from their users they are filling!

in practice this is not possible because you want to be able to trade somewhere and so you have to sometimes accept negative sides and the risks in order to continue trading. and that is why people are still using centralized exchanges despite them being risky or in some cases even shady. so when they lose money they still come back because they accepted the risk. in a way that is the price of wanting to trade.

Why not just keep your coins in your wallet?
that works but only for those who DONT want to trade and want to only make an investment (basically dump their fiat for bitcoin)

and exchange p2p? Now there is no middle man to take a cut from Joe trading apples with Sally for oranges.
P2P trading also has its own downsides, risk and problems. low liquidity, scammers, lack of speed,... and lots more are some of the issues you will be facing.

Only Bitcoin
Haunebu

Activity: 3066
Merit: 969

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
April 29, 2019, 07:07:44 AM

You act like P2P exchanges are perfect and have no downsides whatsoever op. At the end of the day, majority of the investors prefer trading over exchanges instead of P2P platforms since it is far more convenient and they find the risks to be lower in such cases.

What we need to focus on is securing all our assets in whatever way possible on the platform that we are trading on.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Beerwizzard

Activity: 924
Merit: 148

View Profile
April 29, 2019, 11:05:27 AM

Nothing. Many exchanges are already faking their reported volumes. For example, volumes from almost all asian exchanges are obvious bullshit and their administration is totally satisfied with this.
The other point is P2P exchanges are completely different from the ones, that allow margin trading and give its users a leverage. It is two completely different things that only named with the same word.
In P2P exchanges people are just buying or selling their shitcoins in order just to get this coin, while when you deal with margin trading people are constantly buying and selling the same coins to get some profit out of price fluctuations.
Kavelj22
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1471

🔃EN>>AR Translator🔃

View Profile
April 29, 2019, 01:44:39 PM

Not only for a coin promotion, those exchanges may get benefits only by listing coins, as they may don't even care about those coins being traded or not, most of thse coins are a total scam.
Two of the main reasons to see this epidemic failure of most of them [exchange platforms] is to boost their rank in the coinmarketcap and attract more coins to get listed in their statistics [listing fees]. Sadly to say that the majority of those greeds are ready to deceive the community for a "win at all cost" strategy. Most horrifying information i got by searching about additional information is that only three exchanges were found to truthfully report their trading volumes, when all the others (about 88%) are all severely exaggerated according to a statistic made by BlockchainTransparency. This picture is terrifying:

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
TimeBits (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2019, 02:45:50 PM

Not only for a coin promotion, those exchanges may get benefits only by listing coins, as they may don't even care about those coins being traded or not, most of thse coins are a total scam.
Two of the main reasons to see this epidemic failure of most of them [exchange platforms] is to boost their rank in the coinmarketcap and attract more coins to get listed in their statistics [listing fees]. Sadly to say that the majority of those greeds are ready to deceive the community for a "win at all cost" strategy. Most horrifying information i got by searching about additional information is that only three exchanges were found to truthfully report their trading volumes, when all the others (about 88%) are all severely exaggerated according to a statistic made by BlockchainTransparency. This picture is terrifying:

from what I know, most of the exchanges use a representation of the token or coin, and if they are the owner of the site, they can have 0 fees when trading, meaning they can buy and sell large amounts of volume at no cost to make them appear on the volume charts you just showed.  

I know how blockchain could stop that with p2p trading and internal fees in the wallet. Like shown in Ardor and Bitswift network wallets. Where the trades take part between users instead of 3rd party. But how do you know these webpage exchanges are honest?  what does "Real volume" mean when the tokens are not on the network OR lets say I own Binance, Bitfinex or Liquid the 3 exchange claiming to have "honest volume", I have a account with 0 fees, I can manipulate that volume no?

So how do we know these 3 exchanges are honest?

What does this do? The Monkey see monkey do effect.  It is why people viewbot on twitter, twitch and youtube, Same thing.
funchiestz

Activity: 1134
Merit: 342

View Profile
April 29, 2019, 03:08:25 PM

I agree. Some exchanges don't take the trade fee. Their incomes are from commissions received through ads and coin listing. For example, Cobinhood don't take any trading fee.
okala

Activity: 980
Merit: 114

View Profile
April 29, 2019, 03:39:09 PM

I will prefer exchange to p2p any time any day if not for a number of hack's that have taken place on some exchanges they still remains the best when it comes to trading coin's and some exchange don't even take fee during trading. The only misfeelings am having on some exchanges lately is their fake trading Volumes.
Spider A4

Activity: 657
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 29, 2019, 04:50:32 PM

Coinbene is totally bullshit exchange and this chart is correct. Today still Binance 24 hours volume 730 million on the other hand CoinBene Volume is 750 million it's jokes a part i think. OKEx real volume will be more than 11%.
bitcoin-shark

Activity: 2856
Merit: 605

View Profile
April 29, 2019, 05:14:59 PM

there is the possibility that the volumes of certain exchanges are a bit inflated, but i believe this does not happen with large exchanges such as binance, poloniex, bittrex, however dex(forkdelta, idex) are a good alternative to classic exchanges...
Kavelj22
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1471

🔃EN>>AR Translator🔃

View Profile
April 30, 2019, 06:10:03 PM

The statistics made by BlockchainTransparency doesn't include Decentralized-exchanges, as those exchanges are most transparent due to their code being publicly displayed, that everyone can check their real volume. In fact, the current volume of DEX tradings is far from comparable to that of centralized exchanges.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
fudster

Activity: 1190
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 30, 2019, 06:20:33 PM

Keeping your coins in your personal wallet is recommended of course you can't easily trade it unless its on the exchange and what you need is volume. P2p has its downside   so you just can't find someone that will bid higher on decentralized exchanges. If you wanted to sell in bulk your altcoins on dex, you would have to pick a bid which more likely cheap price.
DavidMott

Activity: 33
Merit: 3

>>>davidtaighmott.net<<< [[I sell cool merch!!]]

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2019, 06:30:41 PM

I agree with you. It's one of the reasons i feel P2P will be the future as people gradually start to remember that Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency were always meant to be and are inherently P2P.

>>>davidtaighmott.net<<<
Chikitita2004

Activity: 560
Merit: 121

View Profile
April 30, 2019, 07:07:37 PM

Well, not all deposit their coins in exchanges wallets without the intention of selling or trading them right away. If you keep your coin in the an exchange wallet just for the reason of keeping them there then be ready to say goodbye to your coins. Holders do keep their coin in their private wallet, when when they see the price is good then they are moving it an exchange wallet for trading then move back what they’ve trade for to their own private wallet.

☉☉☉ ARTCOIN.AI ☉☉☉ ▐| BLOCKCHAIN ART GALLERY SYSTEM |▌
◐ o ◑ Blockchain Can Bring The Fine Art Investment World Together ◐ o ◑
┣▇  MEDIUM  ┣▇  FACEBOOK   ┣▇  TWITTER   ┣▇  LINKEDIN   ┣▇  PINTEREST   ┣▇  INSTAGRAM
anthonytcm

Activity: 58
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 30, 2019, 10:07:26 PM

I agree with you. It's one of the reasons i feel P2P will be the future as people gradually start to remember that Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency were always meant to be and are inherently P2P.

Even if totally P2P, centralized exchanges do something way better than general p2p. For example, what use do I give to crypto? I get paid in crypto and sell to send money to my parents in my home country, not being from a first world country, finding people that buy bitcoin with my home countries's currency is pretty difficult, and decentralized exchanges really go after main FIATs. So in my particular case I find use in centralized exchanges, at least until a more decentralized option makes my home country's currency as one of the escrow-able options.
TimeBits (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2019, 10:18:16 PM

Even if totally P2P, centralized exchanges do something way better than general p2p. For example, what use do I give to crypto? I get paid in crypto and sell to send money to my parents in my home country, not being from a first world country, finding people that buy bitcoin with my home countries's currency is pretty difficult, and decentralized exchanges really go after main FIATs. So in my particular case I find use in centralized exchanges, at least until a more decentralized option makes my home country's currency as one of the escrow-able options.

Weather it is a P2P exchange or a centralized one with a middle man, Either way you still turn your bitcoin into fiat. Now Localbitcoins used to be the way to get bitcoin and then exchanges started to appear and people started to lose a lot of money because of "hacks". take mt.gox, bitfinex, poloniex, quadriga for example. You give your bitcoin to them it is now theirs, in a p2p exchange it stays as your until you trade it. It is not constantly in someone else's hands. It is like giving your money/work/wealth to a bank and trusting they will hold on to it, and then stuff like this happens

As p2p exchanges start to open their doors more, It wont matter if there is someone in your country to buy it with fiat. You will be able to buy it anywhere in the world for anyone willing to sell it and obtain more fiat.
It will be like https://localbitcoins.com/ just in a wallet or client like the bitcoin core. Where trusted users and money changers will dominate the market.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: