Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:25:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Full list of truly decentralized altcoins.  (Read 1707 times)
helpix.world (OP)

Activity: 100
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 17, 2019, 09:49:56 AM

It is possible that veil might come up the list of the OP, perhaps very soon as it will be fully unveiled and tested by the public. The only difference between Veil and Doge which fits in perfectly well to the list, is that Veil has an owner, while Doge does not have, except it is totally relinquished.

To include Veil in my list I should change my parameters. But how serious would be this research if I'd state that the currency that has an owner is to be considered fully decentralized?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
helpix.world (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2019, 11:03:04 AM

I think we have a new entry: B3Coin
joesnuffy

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2019, 03:03:36 AM

Great list so far. I like your parameters for deciding but believe in the future a select few things may start out centralized and become decentralized over time. The one example I can think of right now would be Decred. It's understandable why it didn't make the list although I think at this point it is actually far more decentralized than some of the coins listed.
bitcoin_age

Activity: 276
Merit: 13

View Profile
June 21, 2019, 07:30:41 AM

Disclaimer: This list is for my personal use only and not intended as investment suggestion. Do your own exhaustive research. By reading this post you accept to take your full responsibility for any decision you can make.

I'd like to create a list of truly decentralized altcoins.

My criteria are:
- open source code
- no ICO
- no presale
- no premine since the beginning
- no instamine
- not a token
- decentralized organizational structure
- no "owner" or individual/group/company holding the majority of the stock
- a non moderated announcement on the platform not controlled by the coin owners/community/devs
- no unknown platforms announcement
- no roll-backs or patches to recover coins,
- no connection issues soon after launch
- no last minute ANN
- traded on a trustless crosschain exchange

Please mention a currency that in your opinion fits into above criteria.
If you don't agree with criteria we can discuss them here as well and your opinion is welcome.

The result of this research:
- seems like at the moment there is no currency fitting into above criteria. Once BarterDex will release their v2 DEX we'll have new candidates to evaluate.

Here is the list of the coins that are compliant to all the above criteria except the last one:
- Monero (traded on Bisq) YUP
- Ravencoin (tradable on BlockDx, traded on Crypto-bridge) PUMP AND DUMP
- Dogecoin (tradable on BlockDx, traded on Crypto-bridge) MEME COIN
- Namecoin (tradable on BlockDx) HUH SAY WHAT
- Terracoin (tradable on BlockDx) SUPER LOL
- Grin (tradable on Bisq) LOL
- Aeon (potentially tradable on Bisq) DEAD
- Peercoin DEAD
- Slimcoin DEAD
- B3Coin DEAD

helpix.world (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2019, 05:55:46 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2019, 06:10:13 PM by helpix.world

Great list so far. I like your parameters for deciding but believe in the future a select few things may start out centralized and become decentralized over time. The one example I can think of right now would be Decred. It's understandable why it didn't make the list although I think at this point it is actually far more decentralized than some of the coins listed.
From here it seems like Decred is semi-centralized.

- Monero (traded on Bisq) YUP
- Ravencoin (tradable on BlockDx, traded on Crypto-bridge) PUMP AND DUMP
- Dogecoin (tradable on BlockDx, traded on Crypto-bridge) MEME COIN
- Namecoin (tradable on BlockDx) HUH SAY WHAT
- Terracoin (tradable on BlockDx) SUPER LOL
- Grin (tradable on Bisq) LOL
- Aeon (potentially tradable on Bisq) DEAD
- Peercoin DEAD
- Slimcoin DEAD
- B3Coin DEAD
I understand your point, but we need to research basing ourselves on criteria.
For instance if Raven is a pump and dump coin in your opinion it doesn't make him centralized basing on the above criteria.
The same if we consider Dogecoin a Meme coin.
However I think that to avoid mentioning dead, dying, very young coins or coins that are not finding people's favor at all we can introduce 1 BTC/day trading volume criteria.
That's why I have to exclude Terracoin, Slimcoin and B3Coin for the moment.
helpix.world (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2019, 09:26:18 PM

I think we have a new entry: Burst.
helpix.world (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2019, 06:13:59 PM
Last edit: June 24, 2019, 06:26:01 PM by helpix.world

Seems like Blackcoin fits into our criteria.

I don't know whether to go on with the publication of results of my research since I'm not seeing that anybody contributes anything of value any more. The idea of this thread is to make a collective research, if it's only me working I can keep my results for myself.
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 6270

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
June 24, 2019, 07:09:19 PM

I don't know whether to go on with the publication of results of my research since I'm not seeing that anybody contributes anything of value any more. The idea of this thread is to make a collective research, if it's only me working I can keep my results for myself.
I would like to contribute but sometimes (e.g. this week) my time is limited. However I think I agree with Blackcoin and Burst (I actually was a bit surprised that Burst had no premine, but it seems to be true according to their ANN.)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
helpix.world (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2019, 07:58:36 PM

I would like to contribute but sometimes (e.g. this week) my time is limited. However I think I agree with Blackcoin and Burst (I actually was a bit surprised that Burst had no premine, but it seems to be true according to their ANN.)

Ofc I don't just believe the OP of the ANN, I analyze what people say during the launch, so Burst seems to have had a really fair launch.
So you are suggesting me to go on with this public research?
d5000
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2019, 09:04:12 PM

Absolutely! I think it's extremely important for people to know which altcoins are really decentralized. So many centralized coins are trying to persuade buyers into believing that they're "the next Bitcoin" or that they "will make Bitcoin obsolete", which is absolute bullshit. Maybe this kind of list could also strengthen incentives to new crypto-projects to try a decentralized model.

I would maybe also suggest to publish that list on some kind of alternative source, e.g. a cryptocurrency wiki or another webpage/blog.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
BurstDevTeam

Activity: 112
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 25, 2019, 12:27:43 AM

Absolutely! I think it's extremely important for people to know which altcoins are really decentralized. So many centralized coins are trying to persuade buyers into believing that they're "the next Bitcoin" or that they "will make Bitcoin obsolete", which is absolute bullshit. Maybe this kind of list could also strengthen incentives to new crypto-projects to try a decentralized model.

I would maybe also suggest to publish that list on some kind of alternative source, e.g. a cryptocurrency wiki or another webpage/blog.

After you reach a point where you are satisfied with the list, "for now". I think it may be worth having an article submitted somewhere with the results. That will get more attention Wink Are there any decentralization evangelists that you know of? They could bring more attention too.

I've tweeted about this thread and posted the link. Great work so far!
BurstDevTeam

Activity: 112
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 25, 2019, 02:33:40 AM

I also just realized Bittrex has all of these except Namecoin and Grin.
helpix.world (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2019, 06:33:29 PM
Last edit: June 25, 2019, 07:04:16 PM by helpix.world

Guys thank you very much for encouragement.
I felt your support and yesterday I was able to analyze 152 coins!
I have more or less the same quantity remaining so now I'm sure I'll be able to get to the end of this research.

The new entry for today is: Vertcoin (they have 150 coins of test premine announced since the beginning).

Freshmen

Activity: 334
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 26, 2019, 11:41:04 AM

Wow… you did a heavy job right here, taking the time to research all these coins with this criteria. Well, if anyone is planning to invest in any of these coins, the only one I think is good for investment is Monero… I'm not sure about the others. Dogecoin is good but… it might not really be a good choice for anyone. And by the way, all these criteria doesn't really matter cause having all these doesn't even make coin to get adopted by people. They have all these criterias and not even single person talks about them, except monero and dogecoin are the only coins you will see people mention often, but only few like dogecoin.
d5000
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2019, 10:56:56 PM

Wow… you did a heavy job right here, taking the time to research all these coins with this criteria. Well, if anyone is planning to invest in any of these coins, the only one I think is good for investment is Monero… I'm not sure about the others. Dogecoin is good but… it might not really be a good choice for anyone. And by the way, all these criteria doesn't really matter cause having all these doesn't even make coin to get adopted by people. They have all these criterias and not even single person talks about them, except monero and dogecoin are the only coins you will see people mention often, but only few like dogecoin.
Once people recognize that centralized cryptocurrencies are pretty meaningless (and not much better than PayPal or pennystocks), I guess that will change. I consider this list an important tool for that.

Dogecoin may be a special case because it's a coin heavily tied to a meme of a specific period which today already looks a bit "oldish", but until now it has done pretty well, and in the case it really implodes because of the meme problem, the community could simply rebrand it.

If helpix.world has no plans to publish this list on another webpage, I may have in the medium term - maybe I could even build a website/blog around the concept. I would however probably also include coins with low trading volume (with a warning sign or something similar), because I consider that a relatively irrelevant short-term indicator that may not be an obstacle to success nor threaten decentralization. Low-market-cap-coins with higher trading volume have similar dangers (a large investor could buy it up and de facto centralize it), but it's also possible that this never happens.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
shotgun1969

Activity: 723
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 27, 2019, 04:54:04 AM

Once people recognize that centralized cryptocurrencies are pretty meaningless (and not much better than PayPal or pennystocks), I guess that will change. I consider this list an important tool for that.

Dogecoin may be a special case because it's a coin heavily tied to a meme of a specific period which today already looks a bit "oldish", but until now it has done pretty well, and in the case it really implodes because of the meme problem, the community could simply rebrand it.

If helpix.world has no plans to publish this list on another webpage, I may have in the medium term - maybe I could even build a website/blog around the concept. I would however probably also include coins with low trading volume (with a warning sign or something similar), because I consider that a relatively irrelevant short-term indicator that may not be an obstacle to success nor threaten decentralization. Low-market-cap-coins with higher trading volume have similar dangers (a large investor could buy it up and de facto centralize it), but it's also possible that this never happens.

so why would you ever call a dogecoin a dam meme coin.    it is still the hardest working of almost all cryptocoins out there?
Pffrt

Activity: 1372
Merit: 322

View Profile
June 27, 2019, 05:17:22 AM

Thank you for the list. I was recently looking for some good altcoin to pick and found this one. Sorry that I could not contribute although I said I would. Dogecoin for now is a good investment I think since it's very much lower than the regular trend.
helpix.world (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2019, 09:47:47 AM

When Dogecoin was first announced I knew right away that I was not interested at all in it. And I still don't like its stile, the fact it's not being developed any more and so on.
But I have to admit that Doge has found its important niche in the cryptoworld. Without it many small coins would be dead by now. Being Doge one of the base currencies for many exchanges it's possible to trade small coins in the range of prices that are not possible for BTC.
helpix.world (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2019, 09:56:27 AM

Wow you've got the same idea of another member of this discussion.
Maybe we can work on the site together: you, me and him?
d5000
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2019, 03:50:35 AM

Wow you've got the same idea of another member of this discussion.
Maybe we can work on the site together: you, me and him?
One idea could be to create a Github pages site, where collaboration would be very easy (every interested Github user could join) and there would be no hassle with security issues.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████