Bitcoin Forum
July 03, 2024, 06:40:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can lost Bitcoins be traced?  (Read 12816 times)
Utuhikan

Activity: 630
Merit: 14

View Profile
July 04, 2019, 02:11:05 PM

Bitcoin is a decentralized currency and bitcoin control is in our hands as bitcoin owners. All responsibility for bitcoin is in ourselves. To date there have not been any international regulations governing the law and violations of crypto currencies. Therefore, I think it is very difficult to track our stolen bitcoin. The only way we must be sincere and accept the disaster. We can make this event a lesson and experience so that in the future we are not careless and repeat the same mistakes. We must ensure the security of our wallet so that we do not become victims of theft again.

▔▔▔▔▔
robecryant

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 09, 2019, 02:07:34 PM

no one offers more ltc btc eth n lower fees than TRASTRA https://[Suspicious link removed]/trastra
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 1372

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
July 10, 2019, 06:43:50 PM

Bitcoin is a decentralized currency and bitcoin control is in our hands as bitcoin owners. All responsibility for bitcoin is in ourselves. To date there have not been any international regulations governing the law and violations of crypto currencies. Therefore, I think it is very difficult to track our stolen bitcoin. The only way we must be sincere and accept the disaster. We can make this event a lesson and experience so that in the future we are not careless and repeat the same mistakes. We must ensure the security of our wallet so that we do not become victims of theft again.

Agree. The decentralized nature of Bitcoin, makes us responsible to protect and secure our own funds. I believe that lost or stolen Bitcoin, is a matter of being careless by not taking the necessary precautions to secure your coins as much as possible. When you lose your hard-earned coins, you tend to throw away the private key or even forget your BIP-38 password to unlock the wallet. However, when you give away your private key by mistake or someone gets access to a paper wallet (without encryption), your coins will be exposed to theft without a doubt.

Despite the circumstances, Bitcoin's transparent Blockchain allows us to keep track of our lost/stolen coins if we held onto our public keys. Once a transaction is made on the Blockchain, it's virtually there forever as it's immutable. Knowing this, should give you confidence, as the data you'll obtain from a block explorer will be extremely accurate. With many analytical software available today, it becomes easier for anyone (including governments and other third-parties) to keep track of a person's Bitcoin balance.

Still though, if Bitcoin was a privacy coin, it would be virtually impossible to track lost/stolen coins. Which is why, I believe that it'll remain as a transparent cryptocurrency for the foreseeable future. All in all, it's good to know that you can track & trace any coins from any person within the Bitcoin blockchain. All you need is the corresponding public key, to successfully achieve said purpose. Just my opinion Smiley

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
ModanaLee

Activity: 131
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 10, 2019, 07:49:18 PM

I still can't see the feasibility to trace lost btc. Although it can be traced to a particular wallet. But can it be recovered?  I still doubt
Glutius

Activity: 602
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2019, 11:49:20 PM

Bitcoin transactions are traceable and everyone knows it. But more interestingly, it is possible to find out where the person is at the moment, who made a particular transaction. Can I use transactions to reveal my identity?

Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2019, 05:00:14 PM

There are times that this is hard to do. There are some exchanges that don't really show the address of whom you sent. I don't know if that is their policy but that is what's happening. I am using coins.ph, if you will be looking at the address I am sent to, it is being cut to certain parts and sent to a number of addresses. If that is the same procedure where the stolen btcs go, that would be hard to track.

That's certainly true, mate. The ability for us to detect lost/stolen Bitcoin greatly depends whenever we have access to the public key or not. Some exchanges prefer to not disclose the public key for privacy reasons. Only then, they're able to track lost/stolen Bitcoin easily. We have the situation where it's hard to determine if "x" amount of coins have been lost/stolen. The person who stole the Bitcoin could decide to never move the funds until the time is right to do so.

This leaves the victim in suspense, as coins remain static within a given public address on the blockchain. In cases like these, it's virtually impossible to track Bitcoin. Speaking of tracing the origin and destination of our coins, I've found an analytical tool called "Oxt.me" It helps you determine certain key aspects that are essential towards keeping better track of your Bitcoin.

Given how fast these Blockchain analytics tools are improving, I'd say that it'll become much easier for people and the authorities to track & trace Bitcoin like never before. Of course, Bitcoin's immutability prevents transactions from being reversed or manipulated at will (which makes it hard to reclaim lost/stolen coins). But in the bright side, Bitcoin's transparent Blockchain ledger allows anyone to fully audit the same without restrictions.

Nonetheless, it's best for Bitcoin to never adopt privacy technologies (like Dandellion, Mimblewimble, etc) as they will make the process of tracking our coins harder than we've thought. Just my opinion Smiley

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
krb91

Activity: 254
Merit: 10

Streamies Rocks!!!!

View Profile
July 11, 2019, 07:22:27 PM

Bitcoin transactions are more of anonymous than private. Strictly speaking, all transactions are available on the blockchain hence they can be traced but that doesnt mean the identity of the wallet owners can be obtained. It depends on where the btc is going really, if its a wallet exchange or something of that sort.

S T R E A M I E S -  Streaming in Anonimity  -  No rules
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●●     Whitepaper Released    ●● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DISCORD    -    BITCOINTALK    -    WEBSITE    -    EXCHANGE
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2019, 04:20:19 PM

Bitcoin transactions are more of anonymous than private. Strictly speaking, all transactions are available on the blockchain hence they can be traced but that doesnt mean the identity of the wallet owners can be obtained. It depends on where the btc is going really, if its a wallet exchange or something of that sort.

I believe that the correct term for that would be "pseudonymous". Bitcoin transactions don't have an identity linked to them, by they have public addresses which are easily viewable by anyone on the Blockchain. Still though, you could remain anonymous by using other means such as mixers, creating a new address for each transaction, etc. Because it's possible to obtain anonymity in Bitcoin, it makes our lives harder as thieves or hackers use this for their own advantage. If lost or stolen coins become mixed by other coins on the Blockchain, then we cannot determine with certainty where they went.

That's the main issue of cryptocurrency, as it's virtually impossible to determine with certainty the origin and destination of our funds. In the bright side, this prevents third parties from accessing any sensitive transaction information from you. Of course, there's always a way to circumvent this (as there are various Blockchain analytics tools), but it much more complicated to do so than with Fiat currency.

Nonetheless, Bitcoin's transparency is sort of good since it allows us to somewhat track malicious actors within the Blockchain. Full-fledged privacy coins like Monero and Grin doesn't have this advantage, making them easier targets for hackers or thieves worldwide. Therefore, keeping your private keys safe is the only way to prevent losing your hard-earned Bitcoins. Just my thoughts Grin

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
Nasonn

Activity: 616
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 19, 2019, 04:35:05 PM

We can't actually determine how many Bitcoin has been lost because of no record of bitcoin owners, some may have died and access to their wallets lost, others may have misplaced their keys and as a result lost access to their wallet.
kogozer714
Copper Member

Activity: 593

View Profile
July 20, 2019, 08:25:42 AM

Bitcoin can be traced anytime in the transaction, but I think who holds Bitcoin and how the person and address of the bitcoin owner will not know. therefore bitcoin is very helpful for those who trade on the black market.
cheezcarls

Activity: 2254
Merit: 658

Revolutionized copy gaming platform

View Profile
July 20, 2019, 09:14:48 AM

How is it possible to track lost or stolen Bitcoins? While public addresses are not directly linked to a person's identity, the Blockchain itself is widely transparent. Knowing how many Bitcoin are lost is key towards establishing a correct circulating supply of the cryptocurrency.

As such, there might be a slight miscalculation on the total number of Bitcoin in circulation. If it's a lot more less than what's circulating, then I believe that Bitcoin's price should be higher due to its highly-limited supply.

Nonetheless, do you think it's widely possible to track lost Bitcoins? Your thoughts about this would be highly appreciated for educational/learning purposes. Smiley

Since Bitcoin is running on the decentralized blockchain, transactions are transparent and anonymous. Due to its transparency, it can be traced. We can see the activities of these wallets on the blockchain.

Like what happened in the recent Binance hack, wallets can be traced where these hackers are splitting them into multiple wallet addresses. And since it’s anonymous, it’s hard for us to know the owner of those wallets (unless they revealed themselves).

Some of the Bitcoin holders who didn’t reveal themselves misplaced their private keys, lost their Ledger Nano S or Trezor, hard drive, or may have died due to accident or critical illness, which may contribute to the increased demand of Bitcoin in many years to come.

Pla
                             ▄██████████▌
████             ▐███████████▌
  ████         ▐████    ███
   ▐████     ▐████     ███       ███      ▂▃▅
     ████    ████        ███      ███████
        ███    ████        ███      ███████
         ▐██    ████        ███      ███          
                 █████         ███      ███
              █████▌         ███      ███
           █████▌            ███      ███
     ██████▌
███████
ade.win
██            ██
██            ██
██            ██
██         ██
  ▌         ██
  ▌   ██    ██
        ██    ██
        ██      ▌
        ██      ▌
        ██
        ██
.R E V O L U T I O N A R Y   C O P Y   G A M I N G   P L A T F O R M  .
██            ██
██            ██
██            ██
██         ██ 
  ▌         ██
  ▌   ██    ██
        ██    ██
        ██      ▌
        ██      ▌
        ██
        ██
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█ ████▀▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀████ █
█ █████▄  █ ████▀  ▄█████ █
█ ██████▄  █ █▀  ▄███████ █
█ ███████▄  █  ▄█████████ █
█ ████████▄  █ ██████████ █
█ ██████▀  ▄█▄ █ ████████ █
█ ████▀  ▄███▄  █ ███████ █
█ ██▀   ██████▄  █ ██████ █
█ ██▄▄▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█████ █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
Play Smart Win Big!
Skieleton

Activity: 686
Merit: 282

View Profile
July 20, 2019, 12:25:22 PM

How is it possible to track lost or stolen Bitcoins? While public addresses are not directly linked to a person's identity, the Blockchain itself is widely transparent. Knowing how many Bitcoin are lost is key towards establishing a correct circulating supply of the cryptocurrency.

As such, there might be a slight miscalculation on the total number of Bitcoin in circulation. If it's a lot more less than what's circulating, then I believe that Bitcoin's price should be higher due to its highly-limited supply.

Nonetheless, do you think it's widely possible to track lost Bitcoins? Your thoughts about this would be highly appreciated for educational/learning purposes. Smiley
Wallets are not assigned to a person. You will not be able to track where they will be sent. I suspect that they will be passed on anyway. Recovering the stolen is almost impossible ...
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 05:27:41 PM

Since Bitcoin is running on the decentralized blockchain, transactions are transparent and anonymous. Due to its transparency, it can be traced. We can see the activities of these wallets on the blockchain.

Like what happened in the recent Binance hack, wallets can be traced where these hackers are splitting them into multiple wallet addresses. And since it’s anonymous, it’s hard for us to know the owner of those wallets (unless they revealed themselves).

Some of the Bitcoin holders who didn’t reveal themselves misplaced their private keys, lost their Ledger Nano S or Trezor, hard drive, or may have died due to accident or critical illness, which may contribute to the increased demand of Bitcoin in many years to come.

Agree. In part, Bitcoin's pseudonymous nature allows us to keep track of our coins even if identities related to each person are not exposed within the Blockchain. I believe that Satoshi designed Bitcoin to be this way, to benefit everyone using it. The situation would've been worse if Bitcoin were a fully-private cryptocurrency. Even now with the inception of mixers/tumblers, and privacy protocols, it's becoming harder for us to keep track of our hard earned coins.

Hackers could easily use these tools in order to obfuscate the destination of stolen coins. Despite this, transactions are not fully hidden from the public, which opens the path for analytic tools to analyze Bitcoin's transparent Blockchain in a more efficient manner.

Still though, lost/stolen coins can be prevented by taking your due diligence of protecting your private key at all costs. There are various ways to do this, which has been previously explained on this forum. If you manage to follow the steps correctly, you'll be able to maintain your Bitcoin for years to come. Even so, many people seem to be losing their coins due to undesired situations in life. Which means, that the more Bitcoins are lost, the better for the price of the cryptocurrency over the long term as it becomes highly rare.

Nonetheless, being able to trace lost/stolen Bitcoin is good. But, governments can use that for their advantage in order to keep an eye over people's transactions. Which is why, tracking or tracing Bitcoin is a double-edged sword. Just my opinion Smiley

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
Youghoor

Activity: 1036
Merit: 275

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 08:40:30 PM

You can easily trace the transaction of your lost or stolen bitcoin but the problem is that, you can't trace and identify the identity of the person making the transactions....  In as much that bitcoin operates on a decentralized network, its quite difficult to trace the identities of people behind every transaction....

Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2019, 04:50:25 PM

It is possible to trace the first wallet transfer but the anonymity of the person who owns the wallet makes it impossible to trace it. When it will be transferred again to multiple wallets then it is the end of tracing it.

The best way is to prevent this scenario to happen. Keep records of your wallet address and secure your private keys.

Exactly. It's best to secure our private keys, and keep copies of our public keys to track our Bitcoin within any point in time. You may lose the private key, but losing the public key would prevent you from knowing where your Bitcoins have been sent across the Blockchain. Thanks to Bitcoin's transparent ledger, anyone can easily track & trace coins without permission using a public key. Of course, being able to track every single coin will be nearly impossible to achieve because of the various anonymizing techniques available today.

But at least, you'll be able to have an idea of how many coins have been lost or stolen. If you'd want to always gain access to your Bitcoin, then the best way to do so would be using multi-sig addresses. You can create a multi-sig address which requires 2 out of 3 private keys to unlock it. In case, you lose one of your private keys or someone gets access to it, you'll be able to safeguard your Bitcoin by using other private keys to unlock the multi-sig wallet.

Still though, there are certain situations which makes people lose their Bitcoin (like death). Which is why, it's best to come up with a plan to secure your Bitcoin before it's too late.

Nonetheless, as analytic tools improve over time, it'll become much easier for us to be able to track & trace our Bitcoin across the Blockchain. Even governments will be able to obtain greater efficiency at this task, in order to detect criminal activity. If Bitcoin would've been fully private, then this wouldn't have been possible at all. Just my thoughts Grin

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 1373

View Profile
July 25, 2019, 05:49:05 PM

This thread scared me. So I got out some tracing paper, and traced all my bitcoins ahead of time, so I won't have to worry if they are lost.

Cheesy

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/, https://thedrardisshow.com/, https://thehighwire.com/.
ttcsalam
Copper Member

Activity: 1120
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 05:59:08 AM

It is possible to trace every bitcoin. If it is not possible to trace it, then the transaction would not be done on that day. Now it can be traced more easily in the block chain. By trace it has made the transaction much easier.

███    TWITTER     █████████████████ KeyFund ████████████████████     WHITEPAPER     ███
███       ANN                  ██████  AUTONOMOUS YIELD TOKEN - DEFLATIONARY MECHANISM  █████    FACEBOOK PAGE    ███
███  TELEGRAM  █████████████████     SWAP      ███████████████████       MEDIUM      ███
coinbitte

Activity: 90

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 06:59:18 AM

If it can be traced, then it most probably it's not lost. Grin

I'm growing my BTCs by 0.72-1.44% each day on https://bitcoinprofit.net/boss/coinbitte
Yukyzu

Activity: 332
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 07:19:10 AM

You can easily trace the transaction of your lost or stolen bitcoin but the problem is that, you can't trace and identify the identity of the person making the transactions....  In as much that bitcoin operates on a decentralized network, its quite difficult to trace the identities of people behind every transaction....
well, it's just a waste of work, and you don't know when it will end. You might be able to trace it, but it will continue to move until you enter the exchanger, and enter the trading process. You can trace it, but it's very difficult to restore it.
freedomgo
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 1148

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 07:37:13 AM

If it can be traced, then it most probably it's not lost. Grin
I don't think you don't get the point, I'll give you a example, if I have an account and I forget the key or password that has bitcoin on it, that means it's already loss in the circulation but I can still track it since I know the bitcoin address.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀