Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 10:49:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: campaign to get Amazon to accept Bitcoin  (Read 5941 times)
David Rabahy (OP)

Activity: 709
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 01:31:15 PM

Post your efforts to get Amazon to accept Bitcoin here.
David Rabahy (OP)

Activity: 709
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 01:33:01 PM

Your Account
Amazon.com

Message From Customer Service

Hello,

I understand that you wish to know that the bit coins can be used.

We don't accept bit coins as a payment method on our website at this time. I sincerely apologize for this.

We accept credit cards, debit cards, payment from U.S. checking accounts, Amazon.com Gift Cards, Amazon Payments Stored Balance, and the Amazon.com Store Card. Here are the credit cards we accept:

-- American Express
-- Diner's Club (U.S. billing addresses only)
-- Discover
-- MasterCard
-- Visa, Visa Electron, and Visa Check Cards
-- Eurocard
-- JCB
-- NYCE
-- STAR
-- China UnionPay (credit card only)

You can learn more about these payment methods on our Help pages:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=513058

If you'd prefer to pay with cash, you can buy Amazon.com Gift Card claim codes from authorized resellers at a store near you. Learn more at:

www.amazon.com/cashgcresellers

However, I've forwarded your message to appropriate department and I'll make sure the appropriate people in our company see your message, So that it will be made active in future.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,
Alagu S.

Did I solve your problem?
Yes  No

Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.
Thank you.
Amazon.com

Original Message
---------------
03/12/14 19:16:53
Your Name: David Rabahy
Comments:I have Bitcoins and would appreciate it Amazon accepted them as a form of payment.
---------------
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 01:33:23 PM

My efforts include buying from Overstock instead of Amazon.  Cheesy

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Eastwind

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 01:41:44 PM

That would give Amazon more pressure.

It is better to buy from retailers accepting bitcoin.
RixDollar

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 01:42:06 PM

What do you think the chances are of this happening in the next year?
BTCat
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 02:53:31 PM

Zinc Save is a browser extension for Chrome compatible with major retailers like Macy's, Target, Walmart, and Amazon that bills itself as a moneysaving utility, but it also turns these companies into into Bitcoin-friendly retailers.

http://www.businessinsider.com/zinc-save-bitcoin-extension-for-amazon-2014-3
TTM

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 03:05:24 PM

Accepting cryptocurrencies is too risky for mainstream business. I guess Amazon will not adding BTC as payment method unless BTC become popular. It will take long time. Our best option is to spend more coins at Overstock. Unfortunately, most of bitcoin users just ... hold and wait for exchange price to increase, they don't want to spend any of their precious coins.
MNDan

Activity: 287
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 03:53:16 PM

While it would be nice if Amazon accepted bitcoin directly (just a matter of time), did you know that you can buy anything from Amazon for 3% off with Bitcoin via Amazon gift cards at gyft.com?

http://www.gyft.com/bitcoin/
Bigeyeone

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 04:15:41 PM

Accepting cryptocurrencies is too risky for mainstream business. I guess Amazon will not adding BTC as payment method unless BTC become popular. It will take long time. Our best option is to spend more coins at Overstock. Unfortunately, most of bitcoin users just ... hold and wait for exchange price to increase, they don't want to spend any of their precious coins.

Overstock not a mainstream business  Huh

PMC: 19dNRVPcjsESqo8isdauc1gQ6PbUrAZor9
mjc

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 04:24:09 PM

I beg to differ, they are an awesome place to shop. 

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
Joshuar

Activity: 504

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 04:25:33 PM

Yea, the big companies won't accept Bitcoin any time soon, simply because of it's price fluctuations..

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 04:27:12 PM

that will happen in the next 1-2 years i guess. the money will force them to accept it.

bitjuicy

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 04:34:38 PM
Last edit: March 13, 2014, 05:09:00 PM by bitjuicy

Here's the link to download the Chrome extension Zinc Save, which clones your Amazon order and gives you all the discounts you're entitled to as well as a further Zinc Save discount (http://bitjuice.com/a-new-browser-extension-turns-amazon-into-a).

Overstock has had over a $1M in bitcoin purchases since accepting them in January with many of them new customers, critical to growth strategies. I'm sure Amazon is watching to see what kind of volume we generate through Zinc Saves, so spread the word, we can vote with our Bitcoins!
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 05:06:56 PM

What do you think the chances are of this happening in the next year?

I think there is a good chance if we keep asking! So keep asking, folks! (Heading over there now....)

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
BitPhotos

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

MTA, ACA

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 05:09:24 PM

If I had a bitcoin I would gladly spend it on a camera which is why I'm saving up my bitcoin right now lol, was gonna buy from over rest obit I might try zinc and buy from amazon instead once I actually get the BTC I need D: gonna take a while to get another .8 unfortunately Sad

ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 05:14:32 PM

Yea, the big companies won't accept Bitcoin any time soon, simply because of it's price fluctuations..

That can be managed easily, from what I've read, and all the major bitcoin processors offer immediate cashout to local currency to protect against such fluctuations.

Besides, if bitcoin does keep trending up then ending up holding it as a merchant is a good thing.  Grin

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
Pentax

Activity: 700

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 05:16:13 PM

People will be watching Overstock to see how it's going, and it's going pretty well.  I think the shitstorm with Gox slowed things down, and BTC got rutted into a bit of a negative news cycle, but as the dust clears retailers will pick up the pace again.  

It's makes them money, so it's only a matter of time.

http://newsbtc.com/2014/03/13/overstock-com-reeling-20k-30k-daily-purchases-paid-bitcoin/

As to the apparently widespread claim that people are not spending their bitctoin, that's been proven false, so folks should stop yakking on about that.  Simply isn't true.

http://www.coindesk.com/mit-report-bitcoin-more-likely-spent-hoarded/

"Newly released research from the MIT Technology Review, a faculty-run university magazine, suggests that new bitcoins are increasingly being spent, not hoarded, by users after purchase.

The data illustrates that the number of unspent, new bitcoins has declined drastically from 2009, when nearly half of all new bitcoins were held for the entire first year of ownership. Today, the vast majority of new bitcoins are spent within 24 hours, the findings suggest."

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 05:32:31 PM

Ditto.  Even when not paying with BTC. 

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 05:39:41 PM

Post your efforts to get Amazon to accept Bitcoin here.

I vote we put and end to trying to get new merchants to accept Bitcoin just to convert it into USD.  Yes, it is OK for a merchant to convert BTC to USD, but to just gather huge merchants who will only do a 100% conversion and never have any stake in BTC is not gaining the community much ground.

It is now time for B2B uses.  If Amazon accepted BTC AND offered to pay out commission sales and Amazon payments balances in BTC that would be QUITE DIFFERENT.  That would be a huge boost to the ability to use and spread BTC usage as a payment method much further. 

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 05:48:06 PM

That can be managed easily, from what I've read, and all the major bitcoin processors offer immediate cashout to local currency to protect against such fluctuations.

Besides, if bitcoin does keep trending up then ending up holding it as a merchant is a good thing.  Grin
That's right. Overstock has no exposure to price volatility because they only use BTC as a payment network. The price of a bitcoin is meaningless when used this way.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: