Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:47:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Known Physical Bitcoin Attacks  (Read 502 times)
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2019, 11:17:43 PM

I want you to be careful, If you holding a big amount of bitcoin you need to be careful learn from this tragedy so will not become a victim later on.

Known Physical Bitcoin Attacks

This is one more reason to exert caution and make sure people can't associate a certain Bitcoin address with you.
Originally people were supposed to use an address only once. This is why many wallets will produce a new address once any coins are sent to it.
Stay low i think the the smartest move, don't go buying Lambos and mansions even if you are rich now, just don't let anyone know.

Else you are going to have to burn your fortune in security...

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2965

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2019, 11:46:36 PM

I'm afraid that it might happen to me or in my friends who also use bitcoin.
That is why I always keep my withdrawal secret and use other friends or family name when withdrawing bitcoin into fiat to keep my self safe on like these attacks.

I think the best thing to do here if you are planning to withdraw big amount of bitcoin into fiat you should directly transfer it into bank because if you carry a big amount while going home you are in danger and maybe someone will find that bag you carrying is full of money.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
ene1980

Activity: 2002
Merit: 535

View Profile
May 08, 2019, 09:48:34 AM

I want you to be careful, If you holding a big amount of bitcoin you need to be careful learn from this tragedy so will not become a victim later on.
If you boast about your wealth in the public the risk are real and you could get in all sorts of trouble and especially with crypto currency people might go to any lengths to steal your coins, have seen similar cases in UK where people were blackmailed at gun point and asked to transfer bitcoin and we have seen many extortion case from Russia and India where they kidnap people and demand bitcoin in return.

Detailed news about the incident
Moiyah

Activity: 630
Merit: 20

View Profile
May 09, 2019, 06:22:50 AM

I appreciate your warning. I didn't know Hal Finney was a victim from 2014, too but I guess the website has some mistakes since Hal Finney died at August 2014 and the incident written in your link was December 2014. But anyway, back to the topic. It is better not to reveal how much bitcoin you owned to prevent this kind of attacks. Sometimes, being silent will save you from evil actions. There are so many cases like this and only to find out that an immediate relative or a personal connection was involved in this kind of issues.
Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 401

View Profile
May 09, 2019, 03:46:12 PM

I wonder how the robbers get to know that their victims own bitcoin. I guess they monitor the victims social media or other online platforms.
People should try to avoid having huge amount of bitcoins in a single address. There should be wallet that automatically split coins into multiple addresses with multiple private keys , so that if a user is in a situation where a bitcoin thief asks for his private keys, he can send him only the coin in one private keys
tegarp90

Activity: 546
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2019, 06:54:45 PM

https://github.com/jlopp/physical-bitcoin-attacks/blob/master/README.md

That's why KYC in crypto activity is quite dangerous.
The special thing of crypto is we can hide our wealth without knowing by others
thirdlight

Activity: 445
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2019, 07:03:35 PM

You should always be very careful.  Because you have to understand that the attacks will not stop because bitcoin is a virtual coin.  And if you do not protect yourself, then no one will protect you.

bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
May 09, 2019, 08:50:42 PM

These secondary wallets are impossible to detect provided the attacker does not know they exist. This means both not publicizing the fact that you are holding large amounts of crypto, and making sure they are not obviously linked to your main account via blockchain analytics. If you are physically attacked, you can give up your main wallet (with a small amount of crypto inside), while your secondary passphrase protected wallets are undetected and untouched.
Are these secondary wallets are restored if you restore your seed on a brand new device after the attack? If yes, it's a really good thing to know.
I'm afraid that who attach you because of bitcoin will know about this secondary attack and can use the same $5 wrench to get the information... or you should be absolutely convincing that you have no clue about that secondary wallet thing at all...
cheng07

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2019, 11:51:59 PM

I really don't understand why there are people who can do things like that. It's just, where's their humanity? Technology wise, they seem to know very much about crypto. Why they can't just use their intelligence on worthwhile things without having to degrade and hurt people knowing that others worked hard for it? *sigh*

Seems like money, really, is the root of all evil. We should always be on guard on every circumstances that we may encounter. And I hope that those people will soon realize that their actions are unjust. Hope they still have even the slightest conscience.
Sadly, this is the world that we live in. Everyone wants shortcuts and are not willing to take the long route to success in life. These robberies and murders happen around the world(Crypto or Non-Crypto) since money is involved as you stated.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to how smartly we safeguarded our assets. If you observe these cases properly, you can see that majority of them lost money due to their own stupidity.

I totally agree, whether we like it or not, a lot of those people are with us. They just can't take off there hands to easy money. All we have to do is to be very vigilant and not to trust anyone right away. I guess those people doesn't have conscience anymore that they don't care about others, all they care about is how to get those money and live a luxurious life without doing any hard work.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509

View Profile
May 10, 2019, 05:35:40 AM
Merited by bitart (1)

Are these secondary wallets are restored if you restore your seed on a brand new device after the attack? If yes, it's a really good thing to know.
Yes, provided you also remember your passphrase.

If you restore your seed on a new device, you will have access to your main accounts. To access the secret accounts, you will need to enter your passphrase in the specific menu. Until you do so, there will be no trace of your secret accounts.

The secret accounts require both the seed and the passphrase to access. If you forget or lose either of these, you will lose access to your coins.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
May 10, 2019, 05:46:14 AM

there is a general rule that you never publicly announce your wealth! but when it comes to bitcoin sometimes people are too excited and forget that rule and also forget some of the security precautions that they should be taking. for example i have read multiple cases of armed robbery where people were trying to sell their bitcoin face to face but instead of meeting in a public place they did it in a secluded place where nobody could even hear them let alone see them! and that led to the robbery.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
okala

Activity: 980
Merit: 114

View Profile
May 10, 2019, 07:01:53 AM

I really don't understand why there are people who can do things like that. It's just, where's their humanity? Technology wise, they seem to know very much about crypto. Why they can't just use their intelligence on worthwhile things without having to degrade and hurt people knowing that others worked hard for it? *sigh*

Seems like money, really, is the root of all evil. We should always be on guard on every circumstances that we may encounter. And I hope that those people will soon realize that their actions are unjust. Hope they still have even the slightest conscience.

A lot of these robberies are actually committed by boneheads who are trying to steal cash during a face-to-face transaction. Hence, their stupidity will reach unbelievable depths in some cases. So, one lesson to learn from this is to avoid doing major transactions in places where you can be vulnerable - and yes, a weapon can be handy.
Apart from the report of the stolen bitcoin ATM containing €2,000, I don't think there is any other that has to do with face to face transactions. Most of the crime are carried out using an insider or working with information. Bitcoin/cryptocurrency is anonymous and at that it hard to no who is a big holder so criminals don't work alone they get information from close persons before they attack they victims.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: