Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:52:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why important topics are on off-topic board?  (Read 248 times)
jak3 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 09, 2019, 08:33:52 PM

I see some important topics are being posted on off-topic board or being moved to that for some reason. I do not think that is their appropriate place and these topics even got merits too. That proves these topics are not spammy.
7000 BTC stolen from binance
Poll: Which religion is the best religion?
Github Hacked - Ransomware - Bitcoins demanded

and a lot more of these. any because they are in the off-topic board they are not even getting enough attention.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2019, 09:14:08 PM

If you think that someone started topic in wrong board, use "Report to moderator" button and mod will move topic if it will be needed.
I don't know about these example threads that you used for reference - was it moved by mods to off-topic or users just started topics in that board?
But I don't think that off-topic is a wrong place for topic about religion. Maybe Politics and Society just would be more appropriate place. But other two topics obviously don't belongs to off-topic.

qwertyup23

Activity: 2240
Merit: 787

View Profile
May 09, 2019, 09:24:17 PM

I see some important topics are being posted on off-topic board or being moved to that for some reason. I do not think that is their appropriate place and these topics even got merits too. That proves these topics are not spammy.

Poll: Which religion is the best religion?

Well the other topics you posted deserve to be in a different section but this one is clearly off-topic as the thread talks about religion WHICH IS OUTSIDE of bitcoin. To be honest, some of the interesting reads are indeed on the off-topic boards as almost everyone is serious when they discuss stuff there.

One of the reasons on why it gets less-attention is because you cannot endorse your signature there. Most people posts and spam due to signature campaign requirements but the off-topic board does not allow such since signatures are prohibited there.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
cissrawk

Activity: 1218
Merit: 410

Secure your crypto : https://notyourkeys.org

View Profile
May 10, 2019, 12:39:57 AM

The religion is already on right section. But, for 7000 Bitcoin stolen, looks like he's new member and don't know where the right section to post(maybe?).

I'm doing steam artwork.Official thread (Indo, but please pm me even if you're english speaker) : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5323281
NOT YOUR KEYS, NOT YOUR MONEY. PLEASE PROTECT YOUR MONEY! More info click here or go to NotYourKeys.org
Trade Crypto and get 10% cashback BTC16CYsf1yonoVAN3jLAJguREmoJfCy5twi4
Bitcoin_Arena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1788

฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.

View Profile
May 10, 2019, 12:53:41 AM

7000 BTC stolen from binance
- Could have just been put/moved there because there were so many topics about the Binance hack that day
- Newbie started the thread, probably did not knw where to post.

This can belong to the politics and society board but it's an old topic, probably the politics and society board was less popular by then.

Github Hacked - Ransomware - Bitcoins demanded

and a lot more of these. any because they are in the off-topic board they are not even getting enough attention.
Since it was about Github and not BTC or crypto, the user probably thought the off topic board was the right place to make the post

Bottom line, different people post in the offtopic board for different reasons

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
lobcmt2

Activity: 462
Merit: 155

View Profile
May 10, 2019, 02:02:26 AM

The first two topics are perfect places for spamming, whilst the last topic on Github issues contains some useful information, but it is too short, and maybe does not directly relates to bitcoin or specific altcoin. It is too general, so I guess it is why the last topic is categorized as off-topic. In my opinion, off-topic topics don't mean that they are pointless topics. Sometimes, some of them are very valuable and helpful topics. Whenever I see valuable off-topics, I noted them down for later use. In my opinion, at beginnings they are not off-topic ones, but days, weeks or months later their born-days, mods removed them to Off-topic board for some reasons. However, if you feel such topics are helpful, simply bookmark them for later use (for you own interests, or for future reference to help others).
I have my own topic on Bookmark in Off-topic as well.
[GUIDE] Using bookmark tool in browsers to mark bitcointalk topics/ posts
Findingnemo

Activity: 2324
Merit: 760

Bitcoin = Financial freedom

View Profile
May 10, 2019, 03:09:58 AM

Thread about binance hack is almost available on all the sections which I am visiting recently so if you find those repetitive posts then use report to moderator and can ask for deletion.

And as someone said earlier whenever you found threads on wrong boards no need to create thread in meta just use report to moderator and it will be moved to the right section soon.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
View ArchiveReport to moderator
lobcmt2

Activity: 462
Merit: 155

View Profile
May 10, 2019, 03:13:51 AM

Thread about binance hack is almost available on all the sections
Exactly, so if someone want to discuss about Binance hack because it is very hot recent hours (especially when Changpeng Zao raised his idea on Bitcoin Rollback), they should join current available topics, using Search and finding the most appropriate topics to join discussions. Some of available topics are trash ones, so they can ignore such ones and join more comprehensive ones. However, in general such discussion topics mostly contain loads of trash posts. Creating new discussion topic on Binance hack, is obviously pointless and abundant.
finzyoj

Activity: 644
Merit: 255

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 10, 2019, 03:16:53 AM

Why? IMO there are only 2 probable reasons: 1) They can't decide where such topics are appropriate to place thus ending up posting in the Off Topics section (though it is a little bit impossible unless you don't have a simple common sense jk) or 2) They think that placing an informative topic in a spammy place gives them a chance to receive merit points. For such cases, for me I think the latter one applies. Honestly that was a nice technique because you look even more intellectual from the eyes of other members there however this is not a rigjt way of posting — it is a must to post your thread on the category where it falls under to keep things well organized.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2019, 03:24:43 AM

In my opinion, the Off-topic board is just a place to deposit spam.
There is little to no distinction between "good" off-topic replies and bad ones.

It is an unfortunate necessity in order to contain tumors to one section, much like how Games & Rounds and Investor-based games split from Gambling.

o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18512

View Profile
May 10, 2019, 05:56:10 AM

Off topic could do with an aggressive clean up and a dedicated mod or two.

Topics like the one about GitHub probably should be in Off Topic. There are plenty of other topics I can think of over the last week or two, such as ones about Firefox or VPNs, which don't fit nicely in other boards and probably should be in Off Topic. Unfortunately, Off Topic is simply a spamfest with topics like "Do you vape?", "Do you like anime?" and the Flat Earth nonsense.

Off Topic is supposed to be "Other topics that might be of interest to bitcoiners", and not just a free for all.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: