Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 12:49:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: urgent help needed - losing bitcoins  (Read 4988 times)
fanaat (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 04:24:54 PM

Well today when I started my Windows 8 desktop it went to diagnosing/automatic repair (no reason, just on at start up it did this automatically). It now says something like: repair can not repair this computer automatically. I only have the option to do system restore it seems (everything else doesnt work Embarrassed). They give me an option to Reset my system, but I can't do this as I will lose all my data.

Now comes the worst: I didn't backup the wallet. How do I get my bitcoins back safe?
If I do a system restore, it says it will uninstall my programs but keep my personal data? Does this mean the wallet.dat will be saved and it will just uninstall Multibit? (client I used).

Please help me what I need to do, yes i am an idiot for not creating back up, life lesson. Please help me out on this one as the amount is pretty severe.

0.25 BTC reward for the solution
OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 04:30:40 PM

You should be able to either start up Windows in recovery mode or use a linux boot CDROM (for example Knoppix) to access the files on your hard drive.
From there you could copy the wallet.dat file to a memory stick (I hope you know where to find the file...). Of course any other important files can and should be copied as well.

Good luck!

Onkel Paul

fanaat (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 04:53:22 PM

You should be able to either start up Windows in recovery mode or use a linux boot CDROM (for example Knoppix) to access the files on your hard drive.
From there you could copy the wallet.dat file to a memory stick (I hope you know where to find the file...). Of course any other important files can and should be copied as well.

Good luck!

Onkel Paul

Can  you give me a little bit more in this Linux Boot CDROM, never heard of this. How / where do I get this ? I was looking to access Safe Mode earlier like you describe here. Does it only work with this CDR? or can I use the Windows 8 installation disk for this aswell ? (for example, have not tried this as I lost the installation disk somewhere in my house, will recover that later this day though i am sure)

beltin

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 04:58:48 PM

Good luck!

Onkel Paul

Can  you give me a little bit more in this Linux Boot CDROM, never heard of this. How / where do I get this ? I was looking to access Safe Mode earlier like you describe here. Does it only work with this CDR? or can I use the Windows 8 installation disk for this aswell ? (for example, have not tried this as I lost the installation disk somewhere in my house, will recover that later this day though i am sure)

This should help some what...

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/31804/the-10-cleverest-ways-to-use-linux-to-fix-your-windows-pc/

The bootable disk let you run a Linux OS out of RAM which then can be used to access your files on your windows disk...

There is a section on that url called - Access or Backup Files from Your Dead Windows PC
beltin

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 05:03:08 PM

This goes into further detail in terms of mounting your windows HDD under the boot disk.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

So essentially you need to download the boot disk, burn it to cd, make sure you system is set to boot from CD first (set in the BIOS) and then the Linux OS will load.

The above link will then allow you to find you wallet.dat file and take it off - copy it over to a thumb drive or external HDD.

What client were you using, do you know where you wallet.dat file is located on your windows hdd/partition?
OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 05:05:08 PM

I'm actually not a Windows expert, only know as much as needed to fix the Windows PCs of family members (argh, why don't they listen to me when I recommend Linux?).
My experiences with Windows recovery/installation CDs have been mixed, their only purpose seems to be to install a squeaky clean Windows on a machine, but I don't know how to use them for serious data recovery.

@beltin's advice should lead you a bit further on how to actually do it.

Onkel Paul

beltin

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 05:11:20 PM

I'm actually not a Windows expert, only know as much as needed to fix the Windows PCs of family members (argh, why don't they listen to me when I recommend Linux?).
My experiences with Windows recovery/installation CDs have been mixed, their only purpose seems to be to install a squeaky clean Windows on a machine, but I don't know how to use them for serious data recovery.

@beltin's advice should lead you a bit further on how to actually do it.

Onkel Paul

The data should be in tact. It sounds like the systems files may have become corrupted, did you carry out any windows updates recently?

9/10 when I patch a windows server it takes forever and sometimes get a corrupted file that I need to repair.

However, yum update, reboot if new kernel - 10 minute job :-)

Also back up your wallet + private key from now. In the "cloud" somewhere if its secure.

Just read your post again - dont try and do anything Windows says without trying to recover your file yourself first using boot disk.
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 05:21:13 PM

If you have another pc, take the hard disk out, plug it into another windows 7/8 pc, and copy the wallet.dat over. Then put everything back, do a restore, and done.
fanaat (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 05:55:25 PM

If you have another pc, take the hard disk out, plug it into another windows 7/8 pc, and copy the wallet.dat over. Then put everything back, do a restore, and done.

Thanks for the help, jbrnt I highly appriciate it.
Will the data just show up, like memory stick files no difficult things if i put it in my WI 7 PC?( i have a seperate wi7 pc)
Is it easy to take a HD out without breaking the entire pc in components?

Sorry for these beginner questions, i am planning this very seriously before I execute.
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 05:58:10 PM
Last edit: March 13, 2014, 06:10:33 PM by flatfly

The easiest way to rescue your wallet without disassembling your PC would be to install Puppy Linux on a USB stick and boot off of it. Then it's just a matter of navigating to your windows partition and wallet file, and copying it to your USB drive.

I've done this before - the whole process takes less than 20 minutes if you know what you're doing.
If you need live help with any of those steps, just PM me.
lophie

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 06:15:24 PM

even easier and smaller, use slax.

slax.org, download it, unzip it on a flash drive, go to boot folder, there is a .bat script ready for you to click, after finishing take the usb to the computer with the coins.

Go to quick boot (usually F12, Select the usb drive, slax boots, press enter if stuck at terminal, use the file manager to browse your hdd and just grab the wallet, voila

- Lophie

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
jbrnt

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 07:12:48 PM

Will the data just show up, like memory stick files no difficult things if i put it in my WI 7 PC?( i have a seperate wi7 pc)

Sorry for these beginner questions, i am planning this very seriously before I execute.

The hard disk is usually mounted on a frame with two screws on either side. You just have to unplug the 2 cables, one power one sata data cable, unscrew 4 screws and slide it out. Sometimes, the hard disk is mounted on a removable frame which is fixed by one 1 or 2 screws. If it is not on a removable frame, the tricky bit is reaching the hard disk screws on the blind side.

After the hard disk is free, open the other working pc, and unplug the dvdrom's cables on the dvdrom's end not on the motherboard end. Plug the cables into the hard disk, rest the hard disk on a piece of paper to prevent short circuit, and switch on computer.

When the windows bootup, there will be new drives automatically added. Find and copy wallet.dat file. Make multiple copies to different usb flash drives if you want. Then switch off computer, and put everything back.

If you are not entirely sure what to do, takes photos of the inside of the computer before you begin. When you are stuck, post the photos here and I am sure loads of members can help.
beltin

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 07:17:06 PM

It would be easier for you to make a boot disc and use that instead of taking your PC apart if you're unsure about taking your PC apart.
fanaat (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 08:11:41 PM

Ok guys. I managed to plug in my HD into my WI 7 PC. HUGE ISSUE: I dont see MultiBit AT ALL. No shortcut in the Desktop folder, which i 100% had, no data in program files. Help? Where is it located? Is it gone?
beltin

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 08:13:44 PM

Ok guys. I managed to plug in my HD into my WI 7 PC. HUGE ISSUE: I dont see MultiBit AT ALL. No shortcut in the Desktop folder, which i 100% had, no data in program files. Help? Where is it located? Is it gone?

If you go to My Computer what disks do you see?

Can you see a new one that isnt normally there?
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 08:18:54 PM
Last edit: March 13, 2014, 08:36:32 PM by escrow.ms

Read this  http://dottech.org/94596/windows-how-to-access-files-documents-data-when-windows-crash/

edit:  
https://multibit.org/en/help/v0.5/help_support_missingWallets.html

Use your computer's search tool to find ".wallet" and include hidden directories - you should see the automatically generated backups.

https://multibit.org/en/help/v0.5/help_troubleshooting.html

Where MultiBit stores your data

MultiBit stores user specific data such as logs and the default multibit.wallet in a "user data directory". This directory can be worked out as follows:

1.Check the the very top of the "Messages" tab for a message like "The user data directory is '/Users/jim/Library/Application Support/MultiBit'"
2.Navigate to the MultiBit installation directory and check for a file called "multibit.properties". If there is, use this directory as the user data directory. This is for backwards compatibility and for running everything from a USB drive.
3.If none of these reveal the answer, use the technical approach given below.

Technical approach

This section is for technical users proficient with accessing environment variables. These are enclosed in "[]" such that [APPDATA] references the APPDATA environment variable.
Windows

Try one of the following locations, remembering that you may need to enable hidden directories

[APPDATA]/MultiBit. Windows (7,8): C:\Documents and Settings\jim\AppData\Roaming\MultiBit
    [APPDATA]/MultiBit. Windows (XP and below): C:\Documents and Settings\jim\Application Data\MultiBit

Ps: Try to unhide folders first, Maybe that wallet file is still there

Open Folder option -> Click on "View"  -> Select "Show hidden files,folders and drives"
fanaat (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 08:24:15 PM

The only thing missing on my computer is MultiBit. Literally EVERYTHING is present except multibit and the .wallet files. How is this even possible, it just vanished.. Not even the desktop shortcut is visible.. EVERYTHING multibit just vanished.. is this permanent corrupted data?  Embarrassed
beltin

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 08:24:46 PM

If you go to My Computer what disks do you see?

Can you see a new one that isnt normally there?

Look I had my Wallet.dat's located in a MultiBit folder in Roaming. There is no MultiBit roaming folder there, however my LiteCoin/DogeCoin folders are present.

https://i.imgur.com/Ch62PVm.png

MultiBit was open at the time of the crash.

Can you do a search for it?

I can help poke around if you like using TeamViewer?
jbrnt

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 08:35:46 PM

I would do a file search on the windows8 drive form "multibit.wallet" file. Remember to select options like:
Search all file types, hidden files, entire drive.... Something like that...
btc4ever

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 08:46:49 PM

If you moved the hard drive from computer A to computer B and then booted computer B from its pre-existing drive, you should not expect to see multibit on your desktop.

That is because you are looking at computer B's desktop, not computer A's.

What you need to do is go into file manager, and locate the hard drive from computer A.  Then search for MultiBit under that path.

hint: Huh/Library/Application Support/MultiBit/

The only thing missing on my computer is MultiBit. Literally EVERYTHING is present except multibit and the .wallet files. How is this even possible, it just vanished.. Not even the desktop shortcut is visible.. EVERYTHING multibit just vanished.. is this permanent corrupted data?  Embarrassed

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: