Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 05:50:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this Amazon's blockchain killer?  (Read 253 times)
bobsav2121 (OP)

Activity: 317
Merit: 104

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 02:13:56 PM

I've been following OpenBazaar for a while now and I just encountered this article today: https://cryptotradernews.com/cryptocurrency/can-openbazaar-replace-amazon/

I understand that Amazon is literally one of the top 3 companies in the world. Nothing can bring them down as of right now. But if crypto were to go mainstream... Do you guys see Openbazaar competing against them? Maybe even taking them down?
Shova

Activity: 285
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 02:23:49 PM

I've been following OpenBazaar for a while now and I just encountered this article today: https://cryptotradernews.com/cryptocurrency/can-openbazaar-replace-amazon/

I understand that Amazon is literally one of the top 3 companies in the world. Nothing can bring them down as of right now. But if crypto were to go mainstream... Do you guys see Openbazaar competing against them? Maybe even taking them down?

No.
Amazon would develop a better crypto based platform before openbazaar comes anywhere near competing it. Or thinking better for openbazaar, Amazon would acquire it before it comes to any value. Though other established platforms could give Amazon a tough competition if they develop a better blockchain platform before amazon does.
leea-1334

Activity: 2268
Merit: 953

Temporary forum vacation

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 02:51:44 PM

None of the marketplaces have ever threatened to take down Amazon,,, but now that you mention it, if Amazon adopts Bitcoin then it could be that all the Bitcoin competitors might suffer from people leaving them because who can beat the variety of products on Amazon right?

The only issue now is KYC I think,,, because eventually Amazon will require full verification and that may put off Bitcoin sellers.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████░░██████████████████████████░░███████████████████
███████████████░░██████████████████████████░░█████████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░██░░██░░░░░░░░░░██░░███████████████
███████████████████░░░░░░██░░██████░░░░░░██░░█████████████████
█████████████████████░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░███████████████████

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.....I AM BLACKJACK.FUN.....
█████████████░░██████████████████████████░░███████████████████
███████████████░░██████████████████████████░░█████████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░██░░██░░░░░░░░░░██░░███████████████
███████████████████░░░░░░██░░██████░░░░░░██░░█████████████████
█████████████████████░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░███████████████████

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
butka

Activity: 434
Merit: 246

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 03:07:08 PM

I was tempted to say "No way!" but then I remembered the saying "Never say never." While it is impossible to imagine anything treating today's Amazon dominance, we should also know that many empires in history have fallen at the height of their power.

I would be very happy if OpenBazaar grabbed at least a tiny portion of Amazon's share, for starters. Because a decentralized marketplace like this would be a blessing for both sellers and buyers. Amazon's current monopoly is hurting both of them.

Maybe Amazon will switch to using crypto one day, or maybe they are not really interested. It doesn't matter much. Nothing last forever, and in the new crypto economy of the future there is certainly a lot of room for projects such as OpenBazaar.
agenlaptop

Activity: 588
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 03:10:57 PM

Large companies such as Amazon will always have rivals, both heavy and light, but I have never seen them compete with crypto even though it can happen because in the world of market competition there is always the possibility of being open and happening.
Adriano2010

Activity: 1414
Merit: 516

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2019, 03:12:01 PM

I also think that is hard to take behind of Amazon, is hard to take the place of a old an trusted company, and maybe is possible but this will take a lot of time and need to be taken good decisions for a new company to be number one.
chocopapaya

Activity: 686
Merit: 131

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2019, 03:13:47 PM

Stay far away from any company, blockchain or not, that says they will take on one of the multinational megacorporations when they are just a startup.
Also, thinking that any of these current companies will "take down" the huge companies is foolish thinking.

These megacorporations exist because they CREATED new industries, not because they took down an existing top company.
In the case of amazon, they were one of the first and best dot.com companies and have stood the test of time.
Netflix, apple with the smartphone, tesla, all of these created new industries rather than trying to compete with what was on top.

Blockchain is its own unique technology.
In my mind, only using it for buying/selling is a serious waste of its technology.
The most unique industry blockchain makes possible is a DAO (decentralized autonomous organization), not another online sells company.

bartolo

Activity: 1176
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 03:31:10 PM

Stay far away from any company, blockchain or not, that says they will take on one of the multinational megacorporations when they are just a startup.
Also, thinking that any of these current companies will "take down" the huge companies is foolish thinking.

It's like those altcoins developers claiming they will beat bitcoin or their coin will be the new bitcoin. Regarding the topic, like others have stated here, I also think Amazon would adapt to crypto and would keep their leadership.
hongus

Activity: 736
Merit: 100

Adoption Blockchain e-Commerce to World

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 03:54:46 PM

When a team has a lot of money. No problem eliminate competitors. Everybody knows it. So it will be almost impossible to compete with them. The same is when the FB will create its own currency.

Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 402

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 06:01:10 PM

Nothing is impossible but I doubt this will ever happen without mass adoption, easy-to-use blockchain, irresistible marketplace, blockchain with increased transactions speed/volume.
fallensky7

Activity: 350
Merit: 12

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 06:35:14 PM

It's still early to say that OpenBazaar can become an Amazon killer, but, as we know, there is no limit to perfection. With time, I think it will be that way. I want to believe in it. I personally like the fact that OpenBazaar’s decentralized structure allows trading -or commissions, and access to the platform is possible from anywhere around the world, the main thing is the availability of the internet
malikusama
Copper Member

Activity: 1050
Merit: 294

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 06:38:35 PM

Although nothing is impossible but it seems really difficult for Openbazaar to compete Amazon as it is still far behind it.
If amazon don't accept cryptocurrencies in future even after the global adoption of cryptos then it might be possible that Openbazaar will compete amazon, but it's really unlikely so far.
fabuloveu

Activity: 462
Merit: 10

Bcnex - The Ultimate Blockchain Trading Platform

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 07:23:03 PM

i believe Amazon team must be doing research on how to implement cryptocurrency payment system on their platform too while they wait for the cryptocurrency to go mainstream. For Openbazaar to compete or maybe overtake amazon, it need to have  a very standout and unique difference which will attract people to the platform. We all  want safety and convenience,which Amazon has given already.

jcloud

Activity: 6
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 07:28:53 PM

This is just a catchy headline from a third party reporting on OpenBazaar! (Disclosure: I work for OB1, the company leading the development of OpenBazaar)

Amazon took over 20 years to become what we know it to be today, even in a brand new commercial environment where they had functionally no competition. They paved the way and set the standard by which pretty much all other ecommerce operations now measure themselves.

However, there are plenty of areas where all types of ecommerce marketplaces can thrive that are not trying to be "the everything store."

For example:

Etsy is an ecommerce platform, but they deal with handmade goods.
AirBnB is an ecommerce platform, but they deal with travel housing & experiences.
Ebay is an ecommerce platform and while they have some overlap with Amazon now, people primarily think of them as the place they want to go to get collectible, resale, or other hard-to-find items.

I personally use each of these platforms along with Amazon for different needs and wants I have.

Right now OpenBazaar is much like Bitcoin itself: decentralized, open-source, and here to first just give people choices about the kinds of currencies and platforms they want to use based on their values.

It's the place to go if you want to spend and earn Bitcoin (or other cryptos) with no middlemen charging fees, holding (and potentially stealing!) your coins or tracking your data!
Averim

Activity: 515
Merit: 12

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 08:28:17 PM

Blockchain can multiply the effects of a success strategy. If they play the card right could outcome Amazon.
Chomsy
Copper Member

Activity: 364
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 08:31:49 PM

I don't know about openBazaar, this I guess is my first hearing about it but I don't see it competing anyway with Amazon. Amazon is well established ahd recognized all over the world, it will really take a lot to compete with.

malcovi2

Activity: 1255
Merit: 74

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 08:32:11 PM

Its still a starting company and they are challenging a big company with solid foundation. I really dont think they could on Amazon that easily because Amazon is backed by partners that has connections to different countries.

bonker

Activity: 784
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 08:51:14 PM

I don't think it is a true statement because they can definitely make the cricketer field more powerful and disability only available for the Amazon also because if they are making the payments using their Amazon products then it will be a huge profit for the that's why I am saying this.

.Minter.                       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                  ▄▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄▄
               ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
            ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
          ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
         ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▄   ▀▓▀   ▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▄     ▄▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ╟▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▄ ▄▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
       ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
         ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
           ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
             ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
                ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀
                     ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▀▀
||

╓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒
▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌        ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀╜        ╙▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓          ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓⌐         ▓▓▓▓▓         ╣▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀█▀▀^         ╫▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                      ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                     ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                 #▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
 ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
WALLET

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█
pushups44

Activity: 854
Merit: 281

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 08:55:28 PM

Amazon has the dominant market position in online retail so they are unlikely to go away or be toppled in the foreseeable future. The more likely scenario is if cryptocurrencies become mainstream Amazon will ride their wave of popularity and declare they are accepting them. They may even partner with a project as a marketing ploy.
bttmember

Activity: 938
Merit: 13

AMEPAY

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 09:04:50 PM

I do not think openbazar or anyother blockchain based ecommerce platform will replace amazon as i think all these platforms will have their own unique identity, community, user base, revenue and popularity. On the other hand it is also highly probable that amazon launches its own blockchain based business model to stay at the top and im sure as a proactive digital company they must be working behind the scenes to upgrade to blockchain.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: