Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:10:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2019-05-18]eBay Refutes Rumors of Supporting Bitcoin Payments  (Read 171 times)
Vladdirescu87 (OP)

Activity: 966
Merit: 264

View Profile
May 19, 2019, 05:12:03 PM

The San Jose, California-based giant e-commerce platform eBay has come out to deny rumors it will support digital currencies including the original cryptocurrency Bitcoin as a method of payment.

The rumor reports started coming up after a sign at the Consensus 2019 conference alluded a connection between the e-commerce giant and digital currency. Albeit, the eBay clarified that the advert denoted to digital currency related goods and services that are being sold on this particular e-commerce platform, for example, ASIC miners. At this time, the eBay’s payment policies do not list Bitcoin or any other major virtual currency, expounding that the platform does not in any way plan to add cryptocurrency payment alternatives in the future.

https://coinidol.com/supporting-bitcoin-payments/

Theb

Activity: 1680
Merit: 655

View Profile
May 19, 2019, 07:59:10 PM

eBay's payment method that's more inclined to Paypal is becoming more irrelevant by the day (at least on how I experience transacting with sellers). Unlike Amazon where you go from “add to cart” to the payment section you have a chance to directly message the seller and talk things out through the conversation and based from my experience that includes what other payment methods they accept as well. Even though they aren't showing Bitcoin as a payment option it still depends on the seller if he/she wants to accept it which I am surprised that some of the sellers I have messaged do acvept BTC and other crypto, so even if eBay doesn't accept it officially at least some of their sellers do and I think its a good start for them changing eBay's views on crypto payments.

..bustadice..         ▄▄████████████▄▄
     ▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
   ▄███████████    ███████████▄
  █████    ████▄▄▄▄████    █████
 ██████    ████████▀▀██    ██████
██████████████████   █████████████
█████████████████▌  ▐█████████████
███    ██████████   ███████    ███
███    ████████▀   ▐███████    ███
██████████████      ██████████████
██████████████      ██████████████
 ██████████████▄▄▄▄██████████████
  ▀████████████████████████████▀
                     ▄▄███████▄▄
                  ▄███████████████▄
   ███████████  ▄████▀▀       ▀▀████▄
               ████▀      ██     ▀████
 ███████████  ████        ██       ████
             ████         ██        ████
███████████  ████     ▄▄▄▄██        ████
             ████     ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ████
 ███████████  ████                 ████
               ████▄             ▄████
   ███████████  ▀████▄▄       ▄▄████▀
                  ▀███████████████▀
                     ▀▀███████▀▀
           ▄██▄
           ████
            ██
            ▀▀
 ▄██████████████████████▄
██████▀▀██████████▀▀██████
█████    ████████    █████
█████▄  ▄████████▄  ▄█████
██████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
       ████████████
......Play......
CryptoBry

Activity: 1008
Merit: 355

View Profile
May 19, 2019, 08:20:45 PM

So finally we have the confirmation that the rumor started in the Consensus 2019 is not true. eBay as of now is not interested to integrate bitcoin or cryptocurrency into its eCommerce platform. So aside from Amazon, eBay is also not into this way of payment infrastructure even if there is a demand for it to consider at least bitcoin into its ecosystem. Well, let's just hope that in the future they will wake up to love bitcoin too.
vit05

Activity: 672
Merit: 526

View Profile
May 19, 2019, 08:37:51 PM

Maybe this is a great opportunity for other stores to challenge the near-monopoly of eBay and Amazon. Create good opportunities for people who have difficulty using bank accounts that accept international transfers and international credit cards. There are billions of people who can not use these services, but who could easily buy Bitcoins and use them for international transactions.
milewilda
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 1136

View Profile
May 19, 2019, 08:42:47 PM

eBay's payment method that's more inclined to Paypal is becoming more irrelevant by the day (at least on how I experience transacting with sellers). Unlike Amazon where you go from “add to cart” to the payment section you have a chance to directly message the seller and talk things out through the conversation and based from my experience that includes what other payment methods they accept as well. Even though they aren't showing Bitcoin as a payment option it still depends on the seller if he/she wants to accept it which I am surprised that some of the sellers I have messaged do acvept BTC and other crypto, so even if eBay doesn't accept it officially at least some of their sellers do and I think its a good start for them changing eBay's views on crypto payments.
Yes indeed where it would really depend on the seller if he would tend to accept crypto as as a payment it might not be a direct integration with the platform but atleast we do
see that theres still interest into other parties on accepting it.Im not surprised that these e-commerce wont tend to accept crypto as of this moment but if the demand
would arise im pretty sure they would surely changed up their minds.

BitHodler
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

View Profile
May 19, 2019, 10:21:46 PM

Maybe this is a great opportunity for other stores to challenge the near-monopoly of eBay and Amazon. Create good opportunities for people who have difficulty using bank accounts that accept international transfers and international credit cards. There are billions of people who can not use these services, but who could easily buy Bitcoins and use them for international transactions.
These market places thrive on centralized payment options that are reversible, which Bitcoin isn't. People using eBay absolutely love the buyers protection they offer, and I can't see them switch any time soon.

As far as I know, eBay has always had a bias to rule in favor of the buyer, which adds to people's confidence because they know that whatever happens, they at all times can get their money back.

Based on that I don't see how Bitcoin or any other crypto currency will be able to convince people to use it over the centralized payment options eBay allows you to utilize. Fiat is king and will stay that regardless of how high Bitcoin's price is.

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 20, 2019, 05:47:21 PM

I have no idea why Ebay spent money on those banners. What an utter waste of time and expenditure.

At heart Ebay is an escrow service. There's no way crypto can fit comfortably into that without some very weird compromises. I don't think it's ever going to be possible for it to be a thing.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
May 20, 2019, 08:25:01 PM

I have no idea why Ebay spent money on those banners. What an utter waste of time and expenditure. 

Didn't you notice? It was a big thing in the mainstream media, that's why they spent money on these ads. It's called marketing.

Where else can you reach world wide exposure for an amount that's probably well under a tenth of what they usually would have to pay for the same level of exposure. I'm sure they'll do it again next year and yet again claim that they have no plans to work with crypto in any shape or form.

People want to see the Ebay's and Amazon's of this world dive into crypto, and that's what Ebay used in its advantage.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18587

View Profile
May 20, 2019, 09:04:53 PM

They were advertising that you can trade "Virtual Currency" on eBay, not use it as payment. They have a whole section which you can find here: https://www.ebay.com/b/Virtual-Currency-Miners-Mining-Contracts/179197. It is subdivided in to Currencies (including commemorative coins and rounds in addition to just buying/selling pure cryptocurrencies), miners, and mining contracts.

What I'm not so sure of is the billboard advertising their "Digital Collectibles". That usually refers to projects like CryptoKitties and the like. Are eBay planning to enter that market too?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: