Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:16:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google and Huawei - the start of new era?  (Read 398 times)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2019, 06:58:44 AM

Washington has put pressure on Google to stop Huawei from using Android and Google play services. Is this another example of Washington trying to control the Internet, and actually having the opposite result? I'm becoming increasingly annoyed by the constant attempts by Google to install unwanted apps on my phone, and my blocking attempts seem to create a list of warnings every time I turn on the phone. Open source operating systems for mobiles seem to have had mixed success, but maybe this ban will give the embryonic industry a much needed boost. I'd be interested in buying a new Huawei phone if it helped me to escape from the control of Google and Washington.
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
creeps

Activity: 742
Merit: 144

View Profile
May 20, 2019, 11:29:39 PM

Huawei is a second largest phone manufacturer as of now next to samsung, this is not just about the trade war but its more on the technology that Huawei keeps on improving. This is an official ban of google inspired by the US government, they really feel the threat of growing chinese companies. This should be an eye opener for all the phone manufacturer who depends on the Android OS, its time now for them to create their own OS just like Apple. Don’t buy yet, wait for the new flagship of Huawei under their own OS, it will be great for sure.
orions.belt19

Activity: 686
Merit: 146

View Profile
May 21, 2019, 01:18:15 AM

I think this has happened because of the tension between the on-going trade war of US-China and the recommendation of US Government about Huawei Security issues. Huawei could probably use a 3rd party app store like Tencent, but not all apps may be available such as Facebook (since its blocked in China). You can just side load apps using APKs and accept to have an open source android however there are other apps relying on the google DRM Widevine system which checks if the app is digitally signed and if the device is safe/unrooted. So, apps like Netflix is using the DRM system to protect their app, you may not be able to side load Netflix on your phone without google services.
NeuroticFish
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382

Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!

View Profile
May 21, 2019, 05:56:45 AM

US has already backed off a little, they only now realized that such decisions will backfire, translating into loses for american companies too.
I would not call it a new era, it's only politics' mud for now.

On the long term it may translate to innovation, a replacement for Android and Google Play (which although proprietary it's full of malware and spyware), but this will take time.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2019, 06:43:01 AM

What this action highlights is the importance of software in modern appliances. How many people realise that the control program in modern cars is not sold with the car. You only have a limited use licence for it, and without the software the car is useless. Will this be the next target for Washington protectionism and control of behaviour.
NeuroticFish
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382

Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!

View Profile
May 21, 2019, 06:55:35 AM

What this action highlights is the importance of software in modern appliances. How many people realise that the control program in modern cars is not sold with the car. You only have a limited use licence for it, and without the software the car is useless. Will this be the next target for Washington protectionism and control of behaviour.

This is correct and I would not be surprised indeed about such a next step.
And yes, we need more variety for reliable software. But it has to be reliable.

Maybe some of us can live with Amdroid, Gugle Paly and play Hungry Birds (I guess that you know what I mean), but, as you said, there's software in the car too and I feel much safer in an Opel than a SSangYong because I expect that in certain countries quality control works better - including the software!! - and I know the chances are very low the software would suffer restrictions or bans during the lifetime of the car.
Lucius
Legendary

Activity: 3234
Merit: 5664

Blackjack.fun🎲

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2019, 11:00:54 AM

Huawei is banned in US for some time, and this act is just a continuation of politics that US have towards this company and generally towards China. All this started a few years ago when it was allegedly discovered that the Chinese are spying some of the biggest American companies, but also DOD, CIA and all others.

Although it is hard to believe that China is put some spy chips on motherboards, and thought they can go unnoticed for doing that, it obviously happened sooner or later. It's unbelievable that the whole thing is started by Amazon, and not from anyone from US security agencies which are actually completely defeated in this case, if China is managed to put spy chips wherever they wanted.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-how-china-used-a-tiny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies
KennyR

Activity: 2282
Merit: 532

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
May 21, 2019, 11:10:21 AM

The politics between China and USA is getting worse and worse as days pass. For some time being huawei users will truly suffer and soon I believe the hands of China will rise. US always wants the rest of the world to stay under their control, when someone tend to break this automatically more trade pressure is getting exploded and making the common people suffer.
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2019, 07:38:47 PM

This is politics and nothing more. All these devices, Huawei, iPhone, Samsung have lot of information about us, I don't see difference between them. If China government is spying through Huawei phones, it's interesting why USA didn't touched other Chinese phone manufacturers like OnePlus or Xiaomi. Probably because they are still relatively small players in the market... And obviously Google isn't an angel too. Just remember all these billions worth fines that they got in EU.
Now it will be interesting to see counter reaction of China. Knowing that huge number of iPhones are made in China, probably they will prepare something painful.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2019, 05:50:15 AM

Global politics are never what they seem on the surface. For example Washington controls the US, and the Eton/Oxford elite ( Bilderberg etc ) control Washington. Over the last few decades, there has been an initiative to export manufacturing and capital to Asia, and this seems to be part of the globalist plan. How many people have heard of the Schwarzman scholarship? This is similar to the Rhodes scholarship which led to the creation of the EU amongst other things. The Schwarzman scholarship is designed to recruit young people in Asia who will achieve great influence in the future, and the objective is to integrate the US and China into one country. If you doubt this project, then stop and think about the current 25% tax on consumer goods in the US and China. It isn't protectionism, or a desire to improve home manufacturing, but just another form of taxation of the general population. This tax is extremely damaging, and just reduces consumption, and the money taken from the people is unlikely to be used to improve the infrastructure. Also you can have a look at the founders and associates of the Schwarzman project - they include globalists such as Tony Blair and Kissinger.
davis196

Activity: 2968
Merit: 913

View Profile
May 22, 2019, 06:31:40 AM

Washington has put pressure on Google to stop Huawei from using Android and Google play services. Is this another example of Washington trying to control the Internet, and actually having the opposite result? I'm becoming increasingly annoyed by the constant attempts by Google to install unwanted apps on my phone, and my blocking attempts seem to create a list of warnings every time I turn on the phone. Open source operating systems for mobiles seem to have had mixed success, but maybe this ban will give the embryonic industry a much needed boost. I'd be interested in buying a new Huawei phone if it helped me to escape from the control of Google and Washington.

I wouldn't call this a "new era".This "new era" will stop after the Trump's presidency ends.
Trump's negotiation tactics are pretty short term and I wouldn't be suprised if he negotiates a deal with China and the pressure against Google and other US corporations to ban Huawei gets removed.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
May 22, 2019, 06:37:46 PM

Open source operating systems for mobiles seem to have had mixed success, but maybe this ban will give the embryonic industry a much needed boost. I'd be interested in buying a new Huawei phone if it helped me to escape from the control of Google and Washington.

Huawei won't be shipping with any improvment on Android.

Look into the smaller Linux based phone platforms (Jolla etc) or using Lineage without Play Services/Gapps, for now those are the only alternatives I've found
LTU_btc
Legendary

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2019, 08:05:09 PM

Huawei won't be shipping with any improvment on Android.

Look into the smaller Linux based phone platforms (Jolla etc) or using Lineage without Play Services/Gapps, for now those are the only alternatives I've found
Probably they will have to create their own OS. In past I already read article with rumours that Huawei is working on their own Linux based OS called Kyrin:
https://m.gsmarena.com/huawei_may_be_building_a_custom_kirin_os_for_the_honor_play-amp-31374.php
But let's be honest, it will be impossible for Huawei to compete with big players in the market without Android.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2019, 07:19:12 AM

I've been trying to get rid of annoying apps, and other Google stuff from my phone, and it is almost impossible to keep them out. I don't want music, radio, facebook, twitter or anyone of that clutter. Android is open source. If Huawei could produce a quality phone with an open source OS, then it would be a world beater. The governments won't like it though.

Apple is so last year, and behind with it's ( China produced ) technology, that it may be the victim in all this. I'm sure there is more vulnerability and government surveillance with Apple, Microsoft and Google products, than there are in Huawei products.
Johnyz

Activity: 2086
Merit: 193

View Profile
May 23, 2019, 09:13:07 AM

The politics between China and USA is getting worse and worse as days pass. For some time being huawei users will truly suffer and soon I believe the hands of China will rise. US always wants the rest of the world to stay under their control, when someone tend to break this automatically more trade pressure is getting exploded and making the common people suffer.
Its getting scary everyday, especially USA have a not so bad president.
Well, i know China will not stop because of the pressure they are getting from the US government but I just hope that we can live with a peace of mind. Huawei for sure will invent a good technology that can beat google, its not easy but they are serious about it.
Lucius
Legendary

Blackjack.fun🎲

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2019, 10:23:31 AM

LTU_btc, some news say they will launch new OS maybe even this year, or next spring. I think the Chinese are not stupid to play only on one card (Android), and they are working on their own OS for years. With this Google move only losers are actually the ones themselves since Huawei is have almost 15% of market share, and this is likely to increase even more.

I am suprised how good phones they made, those new P30 series is really great. I try P30 and P30 Pro and only doubt is which one to buy, for some €500 it is hard to find better smartphone.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2019/05/21/huaweis-new-os-could-arrive-in-2019-and-run-android-apps-chinese-media-reports/#384aab0c3b11
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
May 23, 2019, 02:19:33 PM

Android is was open source.

FTFY

Google tried to sned all the cool kids back in ~ '07 when Android launched, but huge parts of Android are now as closed source as windows
sheenshane
Legendary

Activity: 2394
Merit: 1215

Cashback 15%

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2019, 04:18:10 PM

You are right. Since Huawei will be supported by China, there is a big chance that this will open a new era. You were right when you said that Washington tried to control the Internet and the result was the opposite of it.

I believe that the Huawei built enough reputation to build their own Operation System. Or, an open source operating system is also the bests as the Huawei's choice. However,  Open Source operating systems are not yet secured and also not that user-friendly just like
the Kali Linux.

If the Huawei will be able to provide a great OS, then they have a good chance of winning the global market.

Statement of on the recent blacklisting of Huawei in the US.
https://twitter.com/jacquemanabat/status/1131432261797023744/photo/1
yesiam6

Activity: 1036
Merit: 520

1KoMmKPMG6xaWcqB8CPP3WJ8avRSVRHtP2

View Profile
May 23, 2019, 06:54:32 PM

I am pretty sure that this will get resolved in at least a few months, the basically same thing happened with ZTE another chinese phone producer.
And Huawei is a huge company, there will be consequences for the US Intel and Qualcomm were huge partners to huawei they will suffer greatly from this fact.
As a consumer i don't like this decision because it makes the cellphone market have one less innovative competitor.
Is this all going to lead to a real nuclear war? (i'm not just talking about the huawei blacklist but the general conflicts with china)
LTU_btc
Legendary

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2019, 10:04:35 PM

LTU_btc, some news say they will launch new OS maybe even this year, or next spring. I think the Chinese are not stupid to play only on one card (Android), and they are working on their own OS for years. With this Google move only losers are actually the ones themselves since Huawei is have almost 15% of market share, and this is likely to increase even more.

I am suprised how good phones they made, those new P30 series is really great. I try P30 and P30 Pro and only doubt is which one to buy, for some €500 it is hard to find better smartphone.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2019/05/21/huaweis-new-os-could-arrive-in-2019-and-run-android-apps-chinese-media-reports/#384aab0c3b11
Reports about that they are working on their own OS probably means that they expected that this worst case scenario could happen. But I'm afraid that it can be too difficult with new OS to compete with Android and iOS and we may see scenario of Windows Phone failure. And don't forget that Intel and Qualcomm banned Huawei too.
Yeah Google are loosers in this story, but they simply didn't had other choice because it wasn't their decision to ban Huawei.
And I agree about Hawei phones. They are offering really great flagship phones with amazing camera for very attractive price. But in past I had one of cheapest Huawei phones and it wasn't good experience - it was worst phone that I ever had lol.
crwth
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 1251

Try Gunbot for a month go to -> https://gunbot.ph

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2019, 03:17:05 AM

I never thought the simple access of Google for Huawei was a political stunt? Is there any proof of it? Is it just another theory? Either way, I think Huawei will overcome this. They were smart enough to build up a name for their company — I know they’ll be enough to provide software for their users. Maybe that'll be the start of better software. It’s like an android 2.0 thing, or they might also discover the future? A rising of something new? There are endless possibilities, plus I know there are lots of brilliant minds behind it.

Or maybe this is just all in our minds? The conspiracy theories are forming. We will never know what happens behind the curtains.
Lucius
Legendary

Blackjack.fun🎲

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2019, 02:16:32 PM

They were smart enough to build up a name for their company — I know they’ll be enough to provide software for their users. 

It is not only about OS, but also about hardware that Huawei is using in their devices. Many known manufacturers have already stopped delivering parts to Huawei, and some of them are Panasonic and a German manufacturer of chips Infineon. We also know that Huawei flagship phones have superior cameras and they can thank for that lenses from Leica which is also German company. In order to continue with production Huawei do not need only new OS, they need to find / produce almost all hardware.

I never thought the simple access of Google for Huawei was a political stunt?

Of course this is a political decision, Google is say that they proceed with this decision with support of White House, or better to say in a way Trump is ask from them. But brain behind operation China is Michael Pillsbury(Trump adviser), and if you read his book The Hundred-Year Marathon, some things become much clearer.

It is not only about Huawei, US is put on black list more then 70 Chinese companies so far.

TeQuiero

Activity: 120
Merit: 38

View Profile
May 27, 2019, 04:58:06 AM
Last edit: May 27, 2019, 06:02:23 AM by TeQuiero
Merited by Lucius (1)

In order to continue with production Huawei do not need only new OS, they need to find / produce almost all hardware.
That's the point. Expecting Huawei to bring something fresh is a bit too naive, IMO. They can build their own OS, memory card or even camera lens but they barely can create a chipset without ARM's license (almost all mobile chipsets on the market including Huawei's Kirin are based on ARM architecture) or it will take decades to do so. A scenario that Huawei continues violating those IP rights to produce in domestic market or lives on their new OS with a poor uncompetitive ecosystem. Either way, it's not what Huawei and Chinese government want.

I never thought the simple access of Google for Huawei was a political stunt? Is there any proof of it? Is it just another theory?
Whether you like it or not, China has become a United States' political threat on White House's global leader role. You can find out more on this in the following articles: China is replacing the US in a new global order, whether the world likes it or not, Will China Replace the US Global Role? or Is China challenging the United States for global leadership?. Clearly with all these Huawei's massive ban combining with import taxes, Trump wants to show Xi Jinping who really is the world's leader.

paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1586

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
June 04, 2019, 07:31:27 PM

As the Trump admin start changing the commerce rules in a highly unpredictable manner, I expect the following to happen:

- Price level shall increase in the US as imports become more expensive and real productivity lowers.
- Increase in number of jobs and possibly in salaries.
- Competitiveness of the US lowers mid-long term
- Distrust on the behavior of the US leads other economic blocks to search for safer alternatives.

Short term, global GDP will be hurt, while US citizens will perceive that they are better-off, until the effects of the lower competitiveness devalue the US dollar and the country becomes poorer respect to the rest.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: