Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:07:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory 0.96.5 crashes on MacOS High Sierra  (Read 134 times)
padarjohn (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2019, 11:29:19 PM

First problem was missing OpenSSL. Following instructions in a different post I installed from Homebrew. That gets past the missing library issue, now it segfaults with an illegal instruction:
Code:
Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Illegal instruction: 4
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4
Terminating Process:   exc handler [0]

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   _CppBlockUtils.so              0x0000000103b35dd2 CryptoPP::Rijndael::Base::UncheckedSetKey(unsigned char const*, unsigned int, CryptoPP::NameValuePairs const&) + 626
1   _CppBlockUtils.so              0x0000000103af3ca7 CryptoPP::AutoSeededX917RNG<CryptoPP::Rijndael>::Reseed(unsigned char const*, unsigned long, unsigned char const*, unsigned char const*) + 199
2   _CppBlockUtils.so              0x0000000103af3a7d CryptoPP::AutoSeededX917RNG<CryptoPP::Rijndael>::Reseed(bool, unsigned char const*, unsigned long) + 445
3   _CppBlockUtils.so              0x000000010383d080 SecureBinaryData::GenerateRandom(unsigned int, SecureBinaryData) + 80
4   _CppBlockUtils.so              0x0000000103878de3 BlockDataManagerConfig::BlockDataManagerConfig() + 451
5   _CppBlockUtils.so              0x0000000103a27f24 _wrap_new_BlockDataManagerConfig(_object*, _object*) + 68
6   org.python.python              0x0000000100ea1c1b PyEval_EvalFrameEx + 10171
7   org.python.python              0x0000000100e9f204 PyEval_EvalCodeEx + 2212
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
droark

Activity: 525
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2019, 05:11:11 PM

That's a crash in Crypto++, a supporting library. I never saw such an error when I ran and compiled 0.96.5 on 10.13. Unfortunately, Crypto++ is ancient and can't be swapped out until 0.97 comes out.

In the meantime, I do have some questions. Have you run Armory before? (Looks like it based on your post history.) Are you running on an actual Mac or a Hackintosh? While I don't necessarily think this is the case, it's possible you'll need to delete some files and, if necessary, restore from a backup.

If you don't mind getting your hands a bit dirty, build instructions are here for Macs. The only caveat is that you'll need to stick to Xcode 9 due to some technical issues that should be resolved in 0.97. So, you may have to get a dev account (free) in order to download the appropriate version of Xcode (or, better yet, Command Line Tools).

If you're uncomfortable with that and you consistently get a crash, you'll have to look into running Armory on either a separate machine (Windows or Linux), or running a virtual machine (VM) on your Mac. VirtualBox is a bit clunky but is free. VMware Fusion costs $50 but I prefer it overall. Either one should suffice.

Best wishes! Please don't hesitate to post if you have questions.
padarjohn (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2019, 06:21:06 PM

I've been "using" Armory for a long time. I put it in quotes because I use it very rarely, but it was what I started with years ago, and all of my bitcoin holdings are in an armory wallet.
I'm trying to use a Mac because of all the problems I have trying to run it under Windows - it's always been hit-or-miss, it's now pretty much stuck on "miss". I'll start a different thread for that, since it's not looking like the Mac is going to be a suitable alternative. A shame, because this is an ideal system.

I'm trying to use a Mac Pro with a 12-core Intel Xeon and 64GB of RAM.

While I don't mind getting my hands dirty, I don't really have the time right now. I'm trying to move some bitcoin out of my wallet, and Armory is getting in my way.  Cry
droark

Activity: 525
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2019, 06:30:24 PM
Merited by PhoenixFire (1)

Hi. I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues. I totally understand the frustration. All I can say is that I do make a best effort to support the Mac. It works great on my MBP (it was High Sierra for awhile but I finally upgraded to Mojave last month). The version posted by goatpig was compiled using Xcode 9.4.1 on High Sierra. Alas, I only have so much time and money, so I can't shell out for a Mac Pro and try it there. As mentioned, Crypto++ is a touchy beast. Maybe it just doesn't like Xeon processors??? Getting rid of Crypto++ for 0.97 was an important choice that should help stabilize Armory.

In the meantime, please give compilation a try when you get a chance. As mentioned before, I'm happy to answer questions as they come up.

EDIT: I found this email thread. Looks like I may be right, and this comes down to Crypto++ not properly detecting your CPU. I can't swear to it but you may want to replace the following block of code in cppForSwig/cryptopp/config.h with the one below it.

Code:
#if defined(CRYPTOPP_ENABLE_AESNI)
#define CRYPTOPP_BOOL_AESNI_INTRINSICS_AVAILABLE 1
#else
#define CRYPTOPP_BOOL_AESNI_INTRINSICS_AVAILABLE 0
#endif

Code:
#define CRYPTOPP_BOOL_AESNI_INTRINSICS_AVAILABLE 0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: