Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 06:25:48 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What would a whale do?  (Read 2103 times)
Wary (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Who's there?

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 10:19:43 PM

Given:

1) The current cycle pattern is amazingly similar to the previous two.
2) Everybody is aware of it and prepared to act accordingly. I.e.
          a) Go all in now.
          b) Sell in July, just before the peak.
          c) Buy at 40% of it.
          d) Sell again in a month, at the re-bounce.
          e) Buy again in 87 days after the peak, at the bottom.
3) Whales are aware of these plans and will somehow use this knowledge to transfer our coins to their pockets.

Fair enough, that's the rules of the game and it's our decision to play it. But my question is:

1) What specifically would a whale do? How exactly could he trick us?
2) Is there a way not to fall a victim to it? (apart from just holding for the whole cycle)

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 10:39:39 PM

It does look very similar to previous cycles, but it feels too easy to be honest i'm not sure yet what to fully make of it.

MatTheCat

Activity: 840

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 10:51:46 PM

Fair enough, that's the rules of the game and it's our decision to play it. But my question is:

2) Is there a way not to fall a victim to it? (apart from just holding for the whole cycle)

Depends on the nature of the whale. Are we talking a Bitcoin to 100K believing whale or a 'I just stole me 100K BTC' (but I really want USD) whale?

Are we talking about a whale that might use his buying power to shake weak hands out the market so that he can own all their coins at a discount or are we talking about a whale who will sit and let the price rise and huge support build up so he can maximise his BTC/USD extraction from the market?

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 11:22:20 PM

Given:

1) The current cycle pattern is amazingly similar to the previous two.
2) Everybody is aware of it and prepared to act accordingly. I.e.
          a) Go all in now.
          b) Sell in July, just before the peak.
          c) Buy at 40% of it.
          d) Sell again in a month, at the re-bounce.
          e) Buy again in 87 days after the peak, at the bottom.
3) Whales are aware of these plans and will somehow use this knowledge to transfer our coins to their pockets.

I think whales are probably going to jump in very soon. I don't think they care so much about tricking anybody so much as getting in before other whales... the only thing I can imagine happening is a whale using his power to create a ton of bad press right before going all in.... so, maybe this already happened.
knightcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 11:26:17 PM

News like .. Huh

Macro Energy soars 42% after Bitcoin buy March 14, 2014 09:27 AM
Shares in Macro Energy Limited (ASX:MEJ) soared yesterday after the resources-focused investment fund revealed a proposed restructure, new name and completion of a $9.1 million capital raising.

http://www.finnewsnetwork.com.au/archives/finance_news_network76198.html

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
Zapffe

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 11:32:40 PM

Whales are hoping that new whales will come to buy the coins. They are hoping that the incident 10 days ago wasn't an isolated case. If nothing happens soon, then everyone will start to freak out and the price will drop.

http://s28.postimg.org/two8prdfh/insta.gif
chriswilmer
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 11:34:56 PM

Whales are hoping that new whales will come to buy the coins. They are hoping that the incident 10 days ago wasn't an isolated case. If nothing happens soon, then everyone will start to freak out and the price will drop.

The only people who think this are people whose memory doesn't span more than a few months.
Wary (OP)

Who's there?

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 11:37:09 PM
Last edit: March 13, 2014, 11:55:34 PM by Wary

It does look very similar to previous cycles, but it feels too easy to be honest i'm not sure yet what to fully make of it.
Exactly my feelings. There must be a catch somewhere. But where???

Depends on the nature of the whale. Are we talking a Bitcoin to 100K believing whale or a 'I just stole me 100K BTC' (but I really want USD) whale?

Are we talking about a whale that might use his buying power to shake weak hands out the market so that he can own all their coins at a discount or are we talking about a whale who will sit and let the price rise and huge support build up so he can maximise his BTC/USD extraction from the market?
Let's talk the long-term whale, "To the Moon"-believer that wants to maximize his BTC stock and doesn't care about current BTC rate and reputation. Somebody who would DDOS and discredit BTC, if it helps him to shake some weak hands.

So what would he do? He would somehow have to trick us into selling low and buying high. Would he try to confuse bots? Or to scare humans? Would he be just doing fore-running or just the opposite - sending us false-start signals?

Wary (OP)

Who's there?

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 11:51:12 PM

News like .. Huh

Macro Energy soars 42% after Bitcoin buy March 14, 2014 09:27 AM

No, more like "China bans bitcoin". Maybe it's what happened last December? Some high-rank Chinese official have decided to convert his ill-gained millions to bitcoins. So "ban" > panic > cheap coins.

MatTheCat

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 11:53:39 PM

What, you mean the panic buying from the 1 day when it looked as though Ukraine's economy might go under?

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
chriswilmer
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2014, 12:09:04 AM

What, you mean the panic buying from the 1 day when it looked as though Ukraine's economy might go under?

Are you still bearish? I mean, you were definitely bearish when it made sense to be bearish... but c'mon, it's time to be bullish now Smiley
MatTheCat

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 12:25:55 AM

Are you still bearish? I mean, you were definitely bearish when it made sense to be bearish... but c'mon, it's time to be bullish now Smiley

I am neither bearish nor bullish at this point in time....just a bit bored and jaded with Bitcoin at the moment.

I have however just bought 10 BTC at $640, so I guess I think there is more upside potential in the coming weeks than downside, although not totally convinced by Bitcoin at the time being. Probably a lot of grinding and trending to be done from here, with likely lower lows than $600 range to come before bear phase can be truly shaken off.

chriswilmer
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2014, 12:28:36 AM

I am neither bearish nor bullish at this point in time....just a bit bored and jaded with Bitcoin at the moment.

I have however just bought 10 BTC at $640, so I guess I think there is more upside potential in the coming weeks than downside, although not totally convinced by Bitcoin at the time being. Probably a lot of grinding and trending to be done from here, with likely lower lows than $600 range to come before bear phase can be truly shaken off.

Seems sensible!
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 12:39:23 AM

Exactly my feelings. There must be a catch somewhere. But where???

How about this: each growth spurt the total number of participants increases by a factor of 3 - 6X.  Perhaps the market dynamics are dominated by the people who are new to bitcoin (who haven't yet learned from the past), and so we see similar cycles repeat over and over. If this is true, eventually this pattern would become exploitable (and thus disappear), but perhaps it can occur a few more times before it does.

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Zapffe

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 12:41:28 AM

Volume is low and it is dropping not rising. Soon people will get tired of trading with each other with no new money coming in.
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2014, 12:52:13 AM

I was looking for a post like this,  a post with good educated guesses

My opinion is that if we have the start of a big bull market everyone will go crazy and buy and we should see new all time highs bc there is a lot more money in the market.
The start of the bull market could be an economic crisis or possibly very good news for Bitcoin

The question is will we test the lows before we rise, we may!

sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 12:57:09 AM

I have however just bought 10 BTC at $640

Bears, be afraid. This is a sign, a really big one.

Good luck! (to both of us hehe)

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
akujin

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 12:58:03 AM

Swim?  Grin Grin Grin

BTC: 165rKPfGJ3ndrG1QziHR6ACnViP4EQHNK7
LTC: LMysGMFjmF9gR9RzStij74msXrDP1NqW8X
DOGE: DRZXGgcKN8kANwko3VycsBVVGqfy6XsSpM
knightcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 12:59:14 AM

Volume is low and it is dropping not rising. Soon people will get tired of trading with each other with no new money coming in.

LoL ... reminsds Rounders (1998)

They don't play each other, just chating/waiting for new blood  Cheesy

Atlantic City Suckers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciWBzhmOC_o

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
Zapffe

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 01:22:08 AM

LoL ... reminsds Rounders (1998)

They don't play each other, just chating/waiting for new blood  Cheesy

Atlantic City Suckers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciWBzhmOC_o

Lol, yeah, something like that. And when new blood wouldn't come, then the players would soon start taking their chips and leave one by one Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: