Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:11:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using MEW Offline (Cold Storage)  (Read 212 times)
MrFreeRoMan (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 171

View Profile
May 22, 2019, 05:18:54 PM

Recommend you should Using MEW Offline (Cold Storage)

Source:

For increased security, you can run MyEtherWallet (MEW) on your local computer, instead of from the GitHub servers through our website. The computer being used should not be connected to the internet. You can generate a wallet completely offline and send transactions on a different computer, which must be connected to the internet, from our ‘Send Offline’ section. In this way, your sensitive information (i.e. private key, keystore file, mnemonic phrase) is kept on an offline device, and it is never transmitted off your device.

Downloading and Running MEW Offline

Step 1. In order to set up your local MEW, start by downloading the latest release of MEW here.

Step 2. Click on MyEtherWallet-vX.X.X.X.zip to download the file. Move this file to a USB stick (or another storage transfer device), and transfer it to your permanently-offline computer.

Step 3. Plug the USB into your offline computer and extract all the files into the archive of the computer. Extracting the files is important, otherwise MEW will not open correctly and will look like a bunch of nonsense. You should end up with a folder containing these files:

Step 4. To open MEW, double-click the ‘index.html’ file. This will open MEW in your browser. You will get a warning saying it is unable to connect to the network, which is normal. You’re not connected to the internet. You won’t be able to see your ETH or token balances because of this, but these are viewable in a secure, public way by using an Ethereum blockchain explorer such as etherscan.io or ethplorer.io.

Congratulations, you’re running MEW offline! Make sure to repeat this process periodically, to ensure you’re on the most up-to-date version of our interface.

Read this article for more information on how to create a wallet.
Read this article if you’d like to know how to send an offline transaction.

BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitstalker

Activity: 383
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 22, 2019, 09:58:33 PM

Good tutorial friend, but can use cold storage still store ERC tokens? , and also whether from cold storage we can transfer tokens, for example transfer to exchanger wallet?
shiming

Activity: 798
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 22, 2019, 10:11:35 PM

Ok, a good tutorial. Great for novices to learn. How to create a secure ETH wallet. Now there are so many viruses, remember to keep your wallet forever. this is very important.

reallester

Activity: 646
Merit: 102

http://Moonbet.io

View Profile
May 23, 2019, 12:40:52 AM

~
better create offline wallet to safe our fund and create it with never offline computer, for safety from history web.
this thread are similliar with this https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4500372.0 when we can send fund offline too. look like old website before updated myetherwallet.

ccsang

Activity: 910
Merit: 103

View Profile
May 23, 2019, 07:54:25 AM

Thanks for the tutorial, it's useful for new member, I know that Mew offline is for increase security, but how about if direct using hardware wallet, do you still recommend hardware wallet + Mew Offline? some people told me it's protect dns attack.
hongus

Activity: 736
Merit: 100

Adoption Blockchain e-Commerce to World

View Profile
May 23, 2019, 08:04:05 AM

I like that meW continues to evolve. But I have not yet put this wallet neby time. Yes, and it is necessary to study the issue in detail. Look at the first reviews.

SaRmY

Activity: 645
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2019, 08:18:58 AM

Grin  I haven't opened my purse for so long that I missed it. Thanks this article was useful to me. Must be set MEw Offline.  I hope there will be no bugs.
SistaFista

Activity: 1638
Merit: 251

Hexhash.xyz

View Profile
May 23, 2019, 02:44:48 PM

This is actually a good tutorial for peoples who want to store their eth or tokens for long time.
Using cold storage is the best way to store your ETH and tokens there, i would say it is the safest and cheapest way.
But you must make sure the link download is a legit one, always check the site you download the file.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
            ████ 
       ████████████
       ████████████
       ████ ████     
       ████ ████     
    ████████████     
    ████████████     
       ████     
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
█▀▀▀

▀▀▀▀
HEXHASH.XYZ
▀▀▀█

▀▀▀▀
█▀▀▀

▀▀▀▀
WEB3 INFRASTRUCTURE TO POWER THE
FUTURE CREDENTIAL DATA NETWORKS
▀▀▀█

▀▀▀▀
█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
akitha

Activity: 742
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 14, 2019, 09:02:01 AM

thank you for the tutorial, i should follow this and share to my friends as well.. creating offline storage would cost as a minute to safe our hard earned coins, instead of storing in a unsecured web-wallet

OptimusPrime_3

Activity: 308
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 14, 2019, 09:10:21 AM

Recommend you should Using MEW Offline (Cold Storage)

Source:

For increased security, you can run MyEtherWallet (MEW) on your local computer, instead of from the GitHub servers through our website. The computer being used should not be connected to the internet. You can generate a wallet completely offline and send transactions on a different computer, which must be connected to the internet, from our ‘Send Offline’ section. In this way, your sensitive information (i.e. private key, keystore file, mnemonic phrase) is kept on an offline device, and it is never transmitted off your device.

Downloading and Running MEW Offline

Step 1. In order to set up your local MEW, start by downloading the latest release of MEW here.

Step 2. Click on MyEtherWallet-vX.X.X.X.zip to download the file. Move this file to a USB stick (or another storage transfer device), and transfer it to your permanently-offline computer.

Step 3. Plug the USB into your offline computer and extract all the files into the archive of the computer. Extracting the files is important, otherwise MEW will not open correctly and will look like a bunch of nonsense. You should end up with a folder containing these files:

Step 4. To open MEW, double-click the ‘index.html’ file. This will open MEW in your browser. You will get a warning saying it is unable to connect to the network, which is normal. You’re not connected to the internet. You won’t be able to see your ETH or token balances because of this, but these are viewable in a secure, public way by using an Ethereum blockchain explorer such as etherscan.io or ethplorer.io.

Congratulations, you’re running MEW offline! Make sure to repeat this process periodically, to ensure you’re on the most up-to-date version of our interface.

Read this article for more information on how to create a wallet.
Read this article if you’d like to know how to send an offline transaction.

this is quite interesting and thank you for sharing. I didn't know myetherwallet has such features and will definitely explore it. This will be best tool for everyone to store assets and don't worry about theft

☯ INJECTIVE PROTOCOL ☯ Bounty Running ☯
☯ Fast, Secure, and Fully Decentralized Trading ☯
motienvolam

Activity: 291
Merit: 20

I love my wife and my little girl

View Profile
June 14, 2019, 09:25:59 AM

Honestly, the whole guide takes from original guide of MEW, there: Using MEW Offline (Cold Storage). I deeply thank you to share it to the community, because there are someone whom don't know about this feature, that is helpful. However, I think that it should be better if you add more information into OP, based on original guide of MEW, such as your own experience with it. Everyone will find (or not find, it depends) out some different tips for the same thing. So, if you have something more, you should include in the OP.
Eat.Sleep.Bounty
Copper Member

Activity: 76
Merit: 0

CAT.EX Exchange

View Profile
June 20, 2019, 09:10:46 AM

That was a very good advice. It is hassle to be honest. But in speaking terms of security on the token, we must grab it, just for the sake of our assets no to fall in the wrong hands. I agree to this idea. And thank you for this.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: