Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:52:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FOIA Doc: Homeland Security Monitors Drudge Report  (Read 958 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 11:27:04 PM

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1086612-dhs-noc-mmc-sop-7-30-13-version-3-1-foia-redacted.html

A newly obtained document released under the Freedom of Information Act confirms that the Department of Homeland Security keeps tabs on the Drudge Report as part of its media monitoring program.

According to the document, the function of the DHS’ Media Monitoring Capability (MMC) desk is to track news websites and social media in order to gather critical information, “during normal operations, crises and extraordinary events.”
“It is essential to monitor the media’s storylines and integrate their focus into the Department’s situational awareness and operations analytical process,” states the document, adding that such work is necessary in shaping “public statements” made by the DHS.
The program also serves to monitor stories about Homeland Security itself, although analysts are directed not to focus on public reaction to DHS policies like long TSA wait lines.

“Your tweets and Facebook posts and other social media discussions are being monitored by the Department of Homeland Security,” writes investigative journalist Jason Leopold, who obtained the document.
According to the document, the program treats mainstream news sources such as BBC, AP, Reuters and U.S. television networks as “first tier” platforms that do not require additional corroboration.

Included on a list of “other sources,” ones that need to be verified by a first tier source before being circulated to DHS fusion centers, is Drudge Report.com, along with NationalTerrorAlert.com, DisasterNews.net, Opensourceintelligence.org, Homelandsecurityleader.com and HomelandSecurityToday.com.

http://www.infowars.com/foia-doc-homeland-security-monitors-drudge-report/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tkbx

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 12:18:02 AM

"Media monitoring program"? Wouldn't want the press to use their freedom wrong, now, would we?
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 12:47:45 AM

"Media monitoring program"? Wouldn't want the press to use their freedom wrong, now, would we?

Too much of anything is bad. Everybody knows that. Too much salt, too much sunlight, too much freedom of the press...
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 06:17:04 PM

Too much of anything is bad. Everybody knows that. Too much salt, too much sunlight, too much freedom of the press...
I wonder what category the Infowarriors of the TSA and NSA put Infowars.com in.
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 06:45:59 PM

I wonder what category the Infowarriors of the TSA and NSA put Infowars.com in.

Category of effective noise and emotional overload to prevent any rational resistance to totalitarianism.

Have you ever seen one practical, workable action come out of Alex Jones' Infowars and Prison Planet?

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 07:17:28 PM

“It is essential to monitor the media’s storylines and integrate their focus into the Department’s situational awareness and operations analytical process,” states the document, adding that such work is necessary in shaping “public statements” made by the DHS.

The Gov is providing "essential" services, why is this an isssue?  Roll Eyes

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 04:40:28 AM

I have a feeling what they are saying here is something like this:

"Okay, we confess.   We get our facts from Drudge, you can't trust anything from the CIA anymore.  And those NSA clowns, they're too busy checking out all the high school sexting to get anything done.  It's a giant cluster.  Drudge, Instapundit, those are moments of sanity around here."
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:30:48 AM

"...It's a giant clusterfuck..."

Bolded text inserted by myself.

clusterfuck
Web definitions
A chaotic situation where everything seems to go wrong. It is often caused by incompetence, communication failure, or a complex environment; To fuck (something) up, to make a total mess of
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/clusterfuck

CIA even attacking its greatest proponent:

http://armstrongeconomics.com/2014/03/11/feinstein-get-what-she-has-dished-out-to-the-world/

http://armstrongeconomics.com/2014/03/14/obama-feinstein-nsa-destroying-america-better-thsn-russia-could-ever-do/
http://armstrongeconomics.com/2014/03/14/the-fourth-branch-deep-than-the-deep-state/
http://armstrongeconomics.com/2014/03/14/germany-to-throw-in-prison-people-with-swiss-accounts/
http://armstrongeconomics.com/2014/03/13/another-ny-trader-jumps-to-his-death/
http://armstrongeconomics.com/2014/03/12/nigel-farage-europe-is-crumbling/
http://armstrongeconomics.com/2014/03/11/europeans-enter-final-stage-on-how-to-pay-for-the-european-failed-banking-system/

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
Khadaji

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 02:24:19 PM

"Okay, we confess.   We get our facts from Drudge, you can't trust anything from the CIA anymore.  And those NSA clowns, they're too busy checking out all the high school sexting to get anything done.  It's a giant cluster.  Drudge, Instapundit, those are moments of sanity around here."

Reminds me of that scene from 'Men in Black' where the agent goes to the tabloids to get information.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 03:08:02 PM

Reminds me of that scene from 'Men in Black' where the agent goes to the tabloids to get information.

Yeah, but see....THEY DO!!!

Think back to say...the tsunami...Fukinawa...Ukraine...

Right on your cable TV you see the newscasters reading twitter for the news from the region.

We are the source of the lastest news.  All their inter country intelligence networks in many respects are obsolete.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 12:47:29 AM

That was Men in Black 2, if my memory is correct.
I watched MIB3 last year and was surprised how good it was.

Khadaji

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 09:34:48 PM

That was Men in Black 2, if my memory is correct.
I watched MIB3 last year and was surprised how good it was.

Thanks! My point being, of course, that in movies, and I'm quite sure, in real life as well, reporters are an excellent source of news... whether cable, Internet, newspaper or magazine...

It wouldn't surprise me at all, for example, to learn that the Russian desk of the CIA were reading Ukraine newspapers right now, to keep informed on the Crimea... not that such should be their only source, but they'd be foolish to ignore people who are in roughly the same line of work ... information.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: