Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 12:15:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would people be willing to sell BTC for paypal if.....  (Read 936 times)
dogisland (OP)

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 02:45:58 PM

I'm thinking of building a service that allows people to show their credibility.

So currently if someone new and genuine wanted to buy BTC for paypal they probably wouldn't have much success as who's going to trust them ?

But with my service I'm proposing that the user would be able to leave a signed message on the forum something like

----> credibilityservice.com
dogisland wants to share his credibility.
----> hxxp://credibilityservice.com/42356sfgsdf3

You would click on the link and get a status page that would show the message they had signed and...

Trading Proof, A list of trading history from their ebay account
Authentication. Proof they have validated their email and a mobile number
Social Proof, links to linkedin.com, facebook and twitter.

If you decide to go ahead with them you would be able to leave feedback on their credibility page.

Does this sound like something you guys would use ?

imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2011, 02:58:11 PM

Part of the problem with Paypal is that it is against their TOS to trade bitcoins.  There's no way to get around that.  You can sell other things and include bonus bitcoins, but the ultimate transaction must be the the 'something else'.

I think things like linked-in, facebook, twitter can all be faked.  Just because a profile shows a name, doesn't mean it is real.

The sharing of credibility is a good one.  bitcoin-otc.com does this to an extent, but requires GPG to prove that you are you each time you want to authenticate with the bot.  GPG doesn't prove a real world identity, it merely validates your online identity is the same each time. A person can still have multiple GPG accounts.

That being said, if you've got a novel way of doing it, I'm all for it.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
dogisland (OP)

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 03:12:10 PM

I think things like linked-in, facebook, twitter can all be faked.  Just because a profile shows a name, doesn't mean it is real.

True, I'm thinking I would show the number of connections to make it harder to fake. And then the social side is just 1 aspect.

The sharing of credibility is a good one.  bitcoin-otc.com does this to an extent, but requires GPG to prove that you are you each time you want to authenticate with the bot.  GPG doesn't prove a real world identity, it merely validates your online identity is the same each time. A person can still have multiple GPG accounts.

Thanks for pointing me to that. I guess that's what I'm trying to do, but rather then storing the things that make you credible in 1 market place. You can carry that credibility into others.
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 03:46:06 PM

Part of the problem with Paypal is that it is against their TOS to trade bitcoins.  There's no way to get around that.  You can sell other things and include bonus bitcoins, but the ultimate transaction must be the the 'something else'.

That being said, if you've got a novel way of doing it, I'm all for it.

Exactly, novel as it is, no point doing something that is against the TOS of Paypal, you will end up being banned.
px403

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 08:28:07 PM

Sounds cool, you should talk with nanotube about some of the web services he is setting up related to the bitcoin-otc web of trust, and it would be nice to be able to link bitcoinlocator.com identities as well, since at the end of the day, that might be the most sustainable model for selling coins.  I don't know who runs bitcoinlocator, but it would be neat if they integrated into the web of trust as well.
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 11:54:53 PM

It is an interesting idea, but I am not sure if people would use it. Since it is against the ToS, people might not want to associate themselves with this kind of trades.
avoid3d

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 09:13:07 PM

I am thinking of building some web of trust style things aswell Smiley

want to do a reputation system, and maybe a claims portal, where people make a claim and then submit evidence. So we can point to it when people claim something is a scam etc

avoid3d - Pierre Hugo
1avoid9FDvP15aKNyPGgJPcxfzMFM4Af6
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: