Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:32:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google Finally Removes 2 Fake Cryptocurrency Wallets From the Play Store  (Read 185 times)
ngthnhien (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 4

Have health have hope - have hope, have everything

View Profile
May 25, 2019, 04:56:56 AM

https://nulltx.com/google-finally-removes-2-fake-cryptocurrency-wallets-from-the-play-store/

Everyone is careful, check again, mistakenly installed 2 fake software  Smiley

Have health have hope - have hope, have everything
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sharon121212

Activity: 280
Merit: 215

View Profile
May 25, 2019, 06:33:30 AM
Last edit: May 25, 2019, 07:44:29 AM by Sharon121212

Why gamble when trying to get a cryptocurrency wallet some newbie are found of making the mistake of changing wallet maybe after then had experience a slight delay in there previous once or the saw a fancy new one.
Before getting a wallet verify it's quality, standard and reputation. Browse about it see what others are saying about it don't just go to play store or apple store and type "cryptocurrency wallet" and install and start using any random wallet you find attractive.

Here are some good wallet in no particular order
1. Trezor
2. Coinbase
3. Luno
4. Electrum
5. RobinHood
and there are still others. And when trying to get any wallet be sure you have spelt your intended wallet correctly so as not to get redirect to a fake scam wallet, check every letter correctly

Lol. I don't see how you see both of these wallets as "good wallets". Both are custodial exchanges that could simply lock up your funds if they wanted to. And to add to that, you can't even withdraw your funds off RobinHood. RobinHood is mostly just for traders who aren't planning on withdrawing BTC. Time to do some research first? Tongue

I have an idea that both of them are exchanges that also serve as a wallet and the can get there users funds closed at there own discretion, but far there have not and they have had a some good remarks although I use luno and would recommend luno above the rest. Adding this two is just to make vast the options.
Also permit me to put a disclaimer to them. It's advisable to do your of crosscheck before using the services of any of them

mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
May 25, 2019, 06:39:04 AM

2. Coinbase
5. RobinHood

Lol. I don't see how you see both of these wallets as "good wallets". Both are custodial exchanges that could simply lock up your funds if they wanted to. And to add to that, you can't even withdraw your funds off RobinHood. RobinHood is mostly just for traders who aren't planning on withdrawing BTC. Time to do some research first? Tongue

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
RapTarX

Activity: 1358
Merit: 850

View Profile
May 25, 2019, 07:30:21 AM

But they are still allowing ads of fake wallets/websites. I have searched for a gambling site, the first ads was a fake of them. This is more important because some people may deposit there which can never be withdrawn.

Bitcoin_Arena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1787

฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.

View Profile
May 25, 2019, 08:40:14 AM
Last edit: May 25, 2019, 08:59:04 AM by Bitcoin_Arena
Merited by DdmrDdmr (2)

1. Trezor
2. Coinbase
3. Luno
4. Electrum
5. RobinHood
Seriously, web wallets like Coinbase in the same list with likes of Electrum is weird of me. They should never even be in the same list when recommending someone the best wallets around  Grin
If you want full control of your funds or cryptos without worrying about getting your funds getting locked off or go through the stupid procedure of signing up plus getting verified through KYC then i recommend the likes of
- Electrum
- Bitcore
- Wasabi
- Bitpay
- Ledger Nano s
- KeepKey
- Trezor
and many more in this category

Web wallets are a big NO for me, Heck... they can even monitor your transactions.

Back to OP. this has been a common problem with google app store and even their web chrome app store.
From time to time, Malicious apps and extension creep into the store before they get recognized and eventually removed.

According to ESET researchersThis particular app was masquerading as a mobile wallet for Trezor  but on installing it the Icon image would change to "Coin wallet"

When the App is launched, a fake login appears which is mean to phish a victim's login credentials. Once entered, the credentials are sent to the hacker's server

The other fake app in the store was The Coin Wallet app, definitely from the same hacker.
You can get more info about the researchers' finds here:
Fake cryptocurrency apps crop up on Google Play as bitcoin price rises

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
elda34b

Activity: 910
Merit: 351

View Profile
May 25, 2019, 12:44:34 PM

Should've never listed on Play Store in the first place. Btw most of the recommendation is not for a mobile wallet. I'm not an active user of mobile wallet either but Trust Wallet, Coinomi, Enjin and so on are some of the mobile wallets that I know of, and they're legit (unless you downloaded a fake one).

I'd probably stick to the hardware wallet and never download any mobile wallet as my phone is really prone to attack.
DdmrDdmr
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 10758

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2019, 01:08:49 PM

<…>
The first of the two fake wallets pretends to be a Trezor based one, which most people with a Trezor should know does not exists, and in any case, should only trust what is linked from the legit Trezor webpage. Likely, the objective here was to gather emails, to later target specifically Trezor users.
How?  Well, something like this: Alerta : Trezor) – The post is in Spanish, but as we can see, there are existing phishing sites that state that your Trezor device is damaged, and ask you for your 24 word seed in order to fix it, emulating a reconstruction process. Fake of course, but still credible for the gullible.

The second App (Coin Wallet) has the appearance of a regular wallet (albeit not a renowned one), which switches your TX destination address for that of the hacker. Again, the problem here is downloading it in the first case, instead of going to official well known wallets.
Crypto Girl

Activity: 980
Merit: 294

View Profile
May 26, 2019, 03:43:46 AM

Perhaps playstore should be strict on apps they allow on their platform hence it always been the first platform for some shitty app not unlike app store permitted.

So upon checking in app store these two mentioned wallets weren't there although not sure if it's remove or it has never been there.

Some surely failed to see ratings can always be falsified.

I use this provider to trade Cryptos : Bitcoin Revolution
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: