Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:39:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Storing Altcoins Not Supported by Ledger or Trezor  (Read 318 times)
Crypto Bull (OP)

Activity: 80
Merit: 16

View Profile
May 25, 2019, 10:44:23 PM

How can I store the following desktop cryptocurrency wallets on a USB flash drive?

- OKCash Client
- Verge Electrum Wallet
- Reddcoin Core Wallet
- RevolutionVR Wallet
- Bitbay Marketplace Client

Do I simply disconnect the internet, plug in a flash drive, click on "backup wallet", an voila`? Is it that simple?

Would this process restore my wallets (with balances) in the event I purchased a new PC that has none of the wallet files installed on it?

FYI: All my other cryptocurrencies are on Ledger Nano S (Ledger doesn't support the above-mentioned coins).
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
feryjhie

Activity: 882
Merit: 595

View Profile
May 25, 2019, 10:47:54 PM

How can I store the following desktop cryptocurrency wallets on a USB flash drive?

- OKCash Client
- Verge Electrum Wallet
- Reddcoin Core Wallet
- RevolutionVR Wallet

Do I simply disconnect the internet, plug in a flash drive, click on "backup wallet", an voila`? Is it that simple?

Would this process restore my wallets (with balances) in the event I purchased a new PC that has none of the wallet files installed on it?

FYI: All my other cryptocurrencies are on Ledger Nano S (Ledger doesn't support the above-mentioned coins).

Maybe you can save/copy wallet.dat from each wallet you mention above and if you do this you can install it on your new PC
Crypto Bull (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2019, 12:40:49 AM

- OKCash Client
- Verge Electrum Wallet
- Reddcoin Core Wallet
- RevolutionVR Wallet

Maybe you can save/copy wallet.dat from each wallet you mention above and if you do this you can install it on your new PC
This sounds good. I can transfer just a little cryptocurrency to the wallet, copy the wallet.dat file to a USB, then delete all the wallet's files on my computer. Then, I can plug in my USB again and see if my balance is still there, and if the wallet works.
Nalbo

Activity: 870
Merit: 125

View Profile
May 26, 2019, 01:02:32 AM

- OKCash Client
- Verge Electrum Wallet
- Reddcoin Core Wallet
- RevolutionVR Wallet

This sounds good. I can transfer just a little cryptocurrency to the wallet, copy the wallet.dat file to a USB, then delete all the wallet's files on my computer. Then, I can plug in my USB again and see if my balance is still there, and if the wallet works.

But make sure you make at least a 2 copies of your backup. Many people have lost their coins due to corrupted USB or hard disk or due to accidents like fire. Printing the private key in paper and storing in a different location could be a good backup or self crypting the private key and storing it into cloud is another great idea.
sh4dtechnr
Copper Member

Activity: 434
Merit: 4

View Profile
May 26, 2019, 01:55:31 AM

- OKCash Client
- Verge Electrum Wallet
- Reddcoin Core Wallet
- RevolutionVR Wallet

But make sure you make at least a 2 copies of your backup. Many people have lost their coins due to corrupted USB or hard disk or due to accidents like fire. Printing the private key in paper and storing in a different location could be a good backup or self crypting the private key and storing it into cloud is another great idea.
Or you can simply write down the private keys with a pen on paper, shove it in a glass bottle and bury it somewhere in the forest. Remember the coordinates and location or save it somewhere in the cloud. I think this option is the most reliable. ))
Crypto Bull (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2019, 02:01:43 AM

- OKCash Client
- Verge Electrum Wallet
- Reddcoin Core Wallet
- RevolutionVR Wallet

Yes, before I decide to transfer a lot of crypto into these wallets, I will have to have an extra USB drive as a back up in case one of them craps out on me. I will then store these flash drives in a fireproof safe.

Where would I find the private key on a desktop wallet? If I could get that, it would almost turn my USB drive into a Ledger! I would no longer be as paranoid of losing my USB, because I could simply buy another and restore my wallet.
iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2019, 03:02:55 AM

- OKCash Client
- Verge Electrum Wallet
- Reddcoin Core Wallet
- RevolutionVR Wallet

Just move wallet.dat, or put private keys in a doc

Crypto Bull (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2019, 03:25:37 AM

- OKCash Client
- Verge Electrum Wallet
- Reddcoin Core Wallet
- RevolutionVR Wallet

Just move wallet.dat, or put private keys in a doc

Does every wallet have a wallet.dat file? I ask this because one time I was watching a video of how to install a wallet, and part of the instructions was to find the "electrum-xvg.exe" file, but no such thing existed on my computer, even after having downloaded all the install files.
iGotSpots
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2019, 03:29:59 AM

It would not be *.exe as that is an executable file type

pushups44

Activity: 854
Merit: 281

View Profile
May 26, 2019, 03:40:41 AM

- OKCash Client
- Verge Electrum Wallet
- Reddcoin Core Wallet
- RevolutionVR Wallet

Using software with encryption is a great idea, but for storing paper copies with private keys or passphrases, a spot to consider is a bank safe deposit box.
republicrypto

Activity: 1386
Merit: 252

Keep it Simple guys :)

View Profile
May 26, 2019, 04:36:45 AM

deskop wallet and paper wallet is the right choice if ledeger nano or trezor doesn't support our crypto assets
and always back up our wallet regularly, so if something happend to our PC, we can import our wallet mate
regards
max6575

Activity: 1176
Merit: 100

Vave.com

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2019, 04:55:50 AM

we can work of customs GUI software to helps as referring notables of balance on dislodge as the use of reference with feature on desktop to navigate the practice of functionality on request as managing request with the work on altcoin finance.
price is 2400 of us dollar to release for unlimited license of users.
contact vivachesster@gmail.com

lyks15

Activity: 546
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 26, 2019, 05:33:51 AM

You can copy your data thru usb drive and move it to another pc. But I think it is too risky. Because there is a posibility that your data will lost when there is an problem between your pc or in your usb drive. So the better things to do is to finish your investment before using another pc or pc wallet and avoid transfer of information.

▼                          NΛTURΛL8       MAKING POKER FUN AGAIN                        ▼
►          $500k Rush & Cash Monthly   |   200% First Deposit   |   $150k Short Deck Hold'em          ◄
▲          [   ● FACEBOOK   ]     Download The App Here     [     ● TWITTER     ]          ▲
iGotSpots
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2019, 06:39:23 AM

we can work of customs GUI software to helps as referring notables of balance on dislodge as the use of reference with feature on desktop to navigate the practice of functionality on request as managing request with the work on altcoin finance.
price is 2400 of us dollar to release for unlimited license of users.
contact vivachesster@gmail.com

Lol what a joke this post is. That's hilarious, well done

mrkavasaki

Activity: 888
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 26, 2019, 08:08:53 AM

I think the best way is that you can only access wallet information on USB as instructed in this article
https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/7sw9wu/encrypted_usb_flash_drive_for_private_keys/
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
May 26, 2019, 08:15:21 AM

beware that disconnecting the internet is not going to provide you any security if your computer is already compromised (like having a malware already on it). to have a proper cold storage you must be on a clean computer that has never been connected to the internet and will never be. to do that using a live Linux on a DVD is the easiest thing to do.

in order to do what you want, you simply install each wallet software, generate a new key pair, print it on a paper and you have yourself a paper wallet. now you only have to send coins to the address of that key pair.
make sure to test the setup first with a small amount to find if you have made any mistakes.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
bartolo

Activity: 1176
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 26, 2019, 09:04:02 AM

I don't like the idea of storing the keys in the cloud, even if they are encrypted, there is a risk of someone will hack your account, access your keys and find the way to decrypt them. About the idea of printing the key, I think it could be better to write it by hand on a paper instead of using the printer.
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
May 26, 2019, 10:12:34 AM

I don't like the idea of storing the keys in the cloud, even if they are encrypted, there is a risk of someone will hack your account, access your keys and find the way to decrypt them. About the idea of printing the key, I think it could be better to write it by hand on a paper instead of using the printer.

the problem with printers is when they are shared printers over a network and also when in certain cases the printer has its own memory that is storing the things it prints and keeps it there. it can simply be avoided if you empty that memory or if you do the right thing and print the encrypted key to not only protect it against cases where printer saves it but also protect it against the case when someone sees the paper you just printed.

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
Adriano2010

Activity: 1414
Merit: 516

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2019, 02:10:27 PM

You should back up wallet dat and also private keys if is possible and save them secure somewhere, and if you buy new pc then is possible to restore them after download wallets again.
ccsang

Activity: 910
Merit: 103

View Profile
May 26, 2019, 02:11:29 PM

My opinion same as you that I also won't recommend store sensitive file in the cloud, don't using the printer, exporting a private key from desktop wallet and direct write in by hand on a paper, another opinion is create a hidden partition on USB to protect your file away from virus and avoid accidentally deleted the wallet file.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: