Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:33:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Long term advance notice!  (Read 3593 times)
hv_
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2019, 07:21:32 AM

If u might be really able of abstract thinking and can for a minute analyze - not checking hashrate and speculation price ( both are related and can be manipulated dynamically esp very at some singular event) - then try to see Segwit was the fork, and the airdrop itself.

Hm

Current hash rate and price don't matter. What matters is compatibility with the legacy protocol and cumulative proof of work.

Segwit is/was compatible with the legacy protocol. It doesn't matter how horrible you think Segwit is. Legacy nodes accept Segwit transactions/blocks as valid. Since the Segwit chain is the valid chain with most accumulated POW, it is the only Bitcoin chain. There is no "parallel" legacy chain; there is only Bitcoin. Shelby bizarrely believes that despite a large majority of the network enforcing Segwit, miners could successfully hard fork Bitcoin to remove Segwit simply by virtue of hash rate.

The market has made abundantly clear over and over with such hard fork spinoffs: they are invalid chains. Hard forks. Spinoffs. Airdrops. Altcoins. Shitcoins. Whatever you want to call them.

Not only does the whole idea ignore what the market has proven repeatedly, but it shows great ignorance of the broad support Segwit has. Segwit activation obviously catalyzed the 2017 bubble; price literally entered the vertical phase of the bubble when miners locked in. Most of the network including major economic nodes are enforcing it.

Yet we are now to believe that overnight, miners alone can hard fork the network, steal half the network's wealth for themselves, and investors are just going to flock to this shitcoin because it's "the one-and-only great Satoshi's immutable protocol?" LOL, what a bunch of delusional crap. Only the most obtuse inbred retards in history could buy into this obvious crock of bullshit!

This is why only tiny groups of uninformed people in their obscure chat rooms and forums buy into this bullshit. Shelby (and Craig Wright) are just exploiting a small number of peoples' great ignorance of Bitcoin's technical aspects and game theory. Shelby obviously has an even (much, much) smaller audience than Craig Wright though, making his plans all the more pathetic looking.

Cumulative work is sth dependant on time as well since if btc price falls to 0 the shit is up again...

There is no profit from old high work blocks if new ones can be gamed for free. Eg all 2nd layer shit are on weakening this.

Actions will be taken at every step in the future and BitCoin is still that young and totally unused.

----

Oh proof of action seen here

All ano trolls (and btc eventually) gonna get destroyed in real world btw

https://youtu.be/OqpwuJw7cxY

And Segwitcoin is the illegal spin off. See my proof upthread so its not disputable after Shelby's rules   Grin

Carpe diem  -  understand the White Paper and mine honest.
Fix real world issues: Check out b-vote.com
The simple way is the genius way - Satoshi's Rules: humana veris _

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hv_
Legendary

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2019, 07:34:01 AM

Doesn't matter much what we think locally and at the moment. For u and some others who helped to get Segwit done (first not at all, than with 2x, and later scammed all the 2x away,...). Sure noobs and newbees still buying that crap but that potential seems to dry out with bigger industry checking out that scam.

Time moves on, take ur local stand as u can, the world is not under ur control

BitCoin didn't start as a ticker and didn't start with Segshit.

Netscape is gone as well.

We ll see

I'm open to the possibility that Bitcoin might be dethroned by another coin. I doubt this will be accomplished by hard forking Bitcoin though. The market has shown increasingly less interest with every new hard fork that comes along.

So that puts these forking miners in a difficult position. They have two options:

(a) Fork off and get ignored by the entire market
(b) 51% attack Bitcoin in hopes of getting noticed

Choice (b) would cost millions and millions of dollars on an ongoing basis. Bitcoin users would be inconvenienced by having their transactions censored, but the real financial pressure is on the attacking miners. They are the ones burning through endless money trying to attack Bitcoin. Bitcoin users can just wait until miners capitulate or have no money left.

If Bitcoin users all succumbed to a mere censorship attack and switched to the miners' fork, it would unequivocally prove Bitcoin's incentives do not work. If miners merely need to 51% attack the blockchain to force contentious consensus changes, the entire design discussed in Bitcoin's whitepaper is broken. The term "validity" no longer has any meaning with regard to the security design. There would be no difference between 21 million coins and 21 billion coins from the view of consensus rules. Obviously miners can change whatever rules they want and user consensus doesn't matter at all.

I'm guessing that won't happen based on the last decade of Bitcoin's history. If it does, no version of Bitcoin will retain any value. It obviously fails in its only stated purpose.

On a) sum up the maket caps and trading vols of all the cheap payment coins.   Not to be ignored imo. Include also all the legal and compliance actions that are needed and coming to get really global  ... find out that bsv is not the fork . It follows the rules

On b) that is the purpose of that entire threat / Satoshi and friends ( find out how many legends dropped out of bitcointalk with bs take over ...)

Think

jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
June 09, 2019, 04:18:43 PM

Another missive from Shelby:

Craig seems sincere but perhaps he’s just a good actor. I loved his argument at the end about equality in law is the antithesis of equality in outcomes. That is a high IQ conceptualization. Kudos. I rarely have the patience to watch a 1 hour video.

The flaws I see in his reasoning:

1. Recording of all data so that omniscient governments can be held accountable is totalitarianism because accountability does nothing to fix the Iron Law of Political Economics which insures that democracy will always be about selling infinite debt to infinite wants. Transparency of data can’t rectify that flaw of democracy. So given the [Weberian definition of government](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly_on_violence), removing our ability to be private means absolute enslavement. Governance will become an Orwellian winner-take-all 666 if we follow Craig’s naivete.

2. The “solution” of BSV for transaction volume scaling is essentially centralization. Thus the outcome of totalitarian control or failure due to infighting due to the inability for one mining/dev group to subjugate the will of another.

So in short, Craig’s Vision (an impostor pretending to be Satoshi’s Vision) is worthless. He either knows this, or is incredibly naive.

Please forward my criticisms to Craig.

Btw, I debated Craig a couple years ago in one of his private slack channels and they ended up banning me because I was winning all the arguments. Go ask @kLee et al.

I'll reply downthread

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
fabiorem

Activity: 1400
Merit: 347

View Profile
June 09, 2019, 04:27:56 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2019, 05:11:17 PM by fabiorem

Craig seems sincere but perhaps he’s just a good actor. I loved his argument at the end about equality in law is the antithesis of equality in outcomes. That is a high IQ conceptualization. Kudos. I rarely have the patience to watch a 1 hour video.

1. Recording of all data so that omniscient governments can be held accountable is totalitarianism because accountability does nothing to fix the Iron Law of Political Economics which insures that democracy will always be about selling infinite debt to infinite wants. Transparency of data can’t rectify that flaw of democracy. So given the [Weberian definition of government](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly_on_violence), removing our ability to be private means absolute enslavement. Governance will become an Orwellian winner-take-all 666 if we follow Craig’s naivete.

2. The “solution” of BSV for transaction volume scaling is essentially centralization. Thus the outcome of totalitarian control or failure due to infighting due to the inability for one mining/dev group to subjugate the will of another.

So in short, Craig’s Vision (an impostor pretending to be Satoshi’s Vision) is worthless. He either knows this, or is incredibly naive.

Btw, I debated Craig a couple years ago in one of his private slack channels and they ended up banning me because I was winning all the arguments. Go ask @kLee et al.

I'll reply downthread

I have read somewhere that BSV have a built-in code that allows law enforcement to freeze any asset, on suspicion of money laundering. I just imagined that being used by tyrannical governments, which could simply label its critics as "criminals" and start freezing their assets stored in BSV. This is just another version of the current statist model, nothing would change. At least Craig is being transparent about his intentions, he dont hide his coin is designed to fuel totalitarianism.
hv_
Legendary

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2019, 05:18:00 PM

I'll reply downthread

1. The argument is that govs can / must globally compete and the open ledger is the correct way how to do. ( see Swissy regulation here...)

2. We both know that profitable systems ALWAYS centralize but profit is the only working incentive to keep Bitcoin stable and valuable to all users. The only repulsive force that works against the profit attractor is maximum fricktion gained by max openess for any operational risks including legal risks that e.g. are mainly responsible to break up chinese mining cartells atm.  These risks incl competition / the race to best tech etc will break up any centralization over long term perspective.  -> best thing we can do is vote for the simplest stable global legal open protocol in existance i.o. to give any potential competitor the chance to disrupt mining cartells.   We know that works fine.

jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2019, 05:41:38 PM

I have read somewhere that BSV have a built-in code that allows law enforcement to freeze any asset,...

Oh, you've read somewhere, eh? Have you read the code? No?

Right. Perpetuating bullshit propaganda, you are.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2019, 05:53:20 PM

I guess the only thing I want to reply to is point 2 about centralization. Yes, megagigaterapetablocks will likely result in fewer fully-validating, non-mining entities. It will also likely result in fewer full-stack mining entities. So what?

People keep talking about decentralization as if it is an end in itself. Why? AFAIC, as long as there are no structural barriers to entry by new participants, the network is as decentralized as it need be. If there is no discernible marginal benefit from adding one more participant to the network, then by definition further decentralization is of no benefit.

And quite frankly, all public blockchains -- to the extent that said blockchain is economically significant -- will centralize thusly - at least with respect to mining. How many parties make up 51% of BTC hashpower? Four. Already.

Not to mention the fact that non-mining nodes provide zero benefit to the network anyhow. If you have sufficient economic interest to be a first-class tx creator, then fine. Pony up for a validating client. But don't delude yourself that your participation brings any benefit to anyone but yourself.

jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2019, 09:18:33 PM

The UASF non-mining node army is ostensibly what pressured the miners into bending over and accepting Segwit. So history has shown that they can indirectly provide benefit, depending on what you'd consider a benefit.

That is certainly a possibility. Why miners would bother listening to what a sybillable agglomeration of entities that have no demonstrable relationship to economic power is an exercise in understanding delusional stupidity. But there it is.

So yes. In at least one instance, it has been demonstrated that a detriment can be foisted upon the network by PoSM. But in no way was this demonstrative of forcing a benefit upon the network via the power of non-mining fully-validating entities.

pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
June 09, 2019, 10:58:11 PM

I guess the only thing I want to reply to is point 2 about centralization. Yes, megagigaterapetablocks will likely result in fewer fully-validating, non-mining entities. It will also likely result in fewer full-stack mining entities. So what?

People keep talking about decentralization as if it is an end in itself. Why? AFAIC, as long as there are no structural barriers to entry by new participants, the network is as decentralized as it need be. If there is no discernible marginal benefit from adding one more participant to the network, then by definition further decentralization is of no benefit.

And quite frankly, all public blockchains -- to the extent that said blockchain is economically significant -- will centralize thusly - at least with respect to mining. How many parties make up 51% of BTC hashpower? Four. Already.

Not to mention the fact that non-mining nodes provide zero benefit to the network anyhow. If you have sufficient economic interest to be a first-class tx creator, then fine. Pony up for a validating client. But don't delude yourself that your participation brings any benefit to anyone but yourself.

By having megagigaterapetablocks you are giving full control of blockchain audit to the "operators". I guess the only way some people would understand why centralization is bad is when forces collude to censor certain transactions, such as donating to Wikileaks or anything else that wouldn't comply with what they consider a morally correct transaction.

The main reason Bitcoin has value is the fact that it works irrespective of any legal frameworks. CSW misses this main premise.
ðºÞæ (OP)

Activity: 1176
Merit: 297

Bitcoin © Maximalist

View Profile
June 10, 2019, 05:41:07 AM

When this 51% defense eventuates it will be epic, not popcorn time but foundation for movie. 
Hashpower collapse, reorgs, empty blocks, political messages......
Segshit address coins gone, non segshit address coins traded at crazy low prices.
People losing massive amounts, angry..... Craig, the Honeybadger will give a shit and just will reclaim protocol.

"The existing Visa credit card network processes about 15 million Internet purchases per day worldwide. Bitcoin can already scale much larger than that with existing hardware for a fraction of the cost. It never really hits a scale ceiling."  Satoshi Nakamoto, April 2009          Avoiding taxes is totally legal if you consider and respect the law.
jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2019, 05:48:16 AM

By having megagigaterapetablocks you are giving full control of blockchain audit to the "operators". I guess the only way some people would understand why centralization is bad is when forces collude to censor certain transactions, such as donating to Wikileaks or anything else that wouldn't comply with what they consider a morally correct transaction.

All public blockchains -- to the extent that said blockchain is economically significant -- will centralize thusly - at least with respect to mining. How many parties make up 51% of BTC hashpower? Four. Already.

jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2019, 05:51:32 AM

::sigh:: Shelby discovered somethings he'd like to change in an earlier post. To wit:

1. Recording of all data—without any options for privacy so that omniscient governments can be held accountable—is totalitarianism. Because accountability does nothing to fix nor even mitigate the Iron Law of Political Economics which insures that democracy will always be about selling infinite debt to infinite wants. Obligatory transparency of data can’t rectify that inherent flaw of democracy. So given the Weberian definition of government is a “monopoly on violence”, removing our voluntary option for privacy will enable absolute enslavement. Governance will become an Orwellian winner-take-all 666 if we follow Craig’s naivete. Our wise forefathers understood this and thusly recognized in the U.S. Constitution our inalienable right to bear arms and made direct taxation unconstitutional.

2. The “solution” provided by BSV for transaction volume scaling is essentially centralization. Thus the outcome of totalitarian control or failure due to infighting due to the inability for one mining/dev group to subjugate the will of another.

Both points are evidence that Craig is fighting against decentralization. Craig wants to return to the old order which will die in flames of totalitarianism over the next decade(s).

Btw, I debated Craig a couple years ago in one of his private slack channels and they ended up banning me because I was winning arguments. Go ask @kLee et al.

Because I already provided a link upthread several times which explains in detail why automatically (e.g. via miner consensus) adaptive block size does not function correct decentralized. The only reason it is functioning now is because Craig’s group controls most of the mining and because they have the centralized political power to fork the code and get all the miners to adhere.

It is not the size of the blocks that it is the issue per se. But the fact that changes to the size can not be decentralized.

Also very large block sizes that are not currently fully utilized can be used to destroy other miners and entirely centralize the mining. Well the mining is already centralized, so this is their poison pill to make sure it remains centralized. Craig will never tell you this and he will ban me from any discussions so I can not debate him. I will destroy him in any debate.

Put me on a live youtube debate with Craig and I will roast his ass so badly that he will lose all credibility. Not because I hate him, but because he does not tell the entire story. He hides information that he does not want you to know. Or he is incredibly naive.

Do you not know how large blocks can be used to destroy other miners? Simple, they drive the transaction fees too low. This is not an issue while the coinbase rewards are significant, but will be an issue later.

In short, BSV is technologically inept and will die a fiery death eventually.

You ostensibly just do not see holes in his inept designs which will cause them to crash and burn eventually. Centralization is an entire waste of time. Not trustless, not permissionless. Just use Facebook coin then.

Craig is no Satoshi. I am much closer to being Satoshi than he is (and yet I’m still not and very far from being), from the standpoint of technological knowledge. Craig is an erudite, learnt man. I am a (unfortunately chronically ill, as was Craig’s former partner) mad-scientist, primary researcher. These are facts, not hubris.

Nope. I expect something totally new and closer to perfect will arrive on the scene at an opportune time. It will not be Bitcoin, nor any fork of Bitcoin.

Not to mention the fact that non-mining nodes provide zero benefit to the network anyhow.

Agreed, but AFAICS irrelevant to my points above.

1. The argument is that govs can / must globally compete and the open ledger is the correct way how to do. ( see Swissy regulation here...)

And I rebuked that theory. Competition between democracies does nothing to rectify the inherent flaw of democracy. Only decentralization, trustlessness, permissionlessness, and (optional) anonymity can help us. We need a symmetrical power to resist tyranny. If you think the Swiss aren’t also destroying themselves, I have bridge on Mars to sell you. Do you need me to cite some Armstrong blogs about the political corruption in Switzerland?

2. We both know that profitable systems ALWAYS centralize but profit is the only working incentive to keep Bitcoin stable and valuable to all users.

Satoshi v0.5.3 protocol Bitcoin is decentralized enough, except for the dominance of ASICs and the fact that for example solar power in the middle of rural areas is not as viable as hydropower, because ASICs improve too fast so need to keep the hardware running all the time. I believe there may be a technological solution to this. Did you know that solar power is now less expensive than grid power (as low as 1.5 cents per kwh) in places such as Chili and the Middle East.

Then of course we need scaling but with constant block sizes. Again I there may possibly be a technological solution for this as well.

And we need anonymity that is not entirely broken and centralized as is the case for Monero (I am entirely vindicated!)

The only repulsive force that works against the profit attractor is maximum fricktion gained by max openess for any operational risks including legal risks that e.g. are mainly responsible to break up chinese mining cartells atm.

Lol. Depending on the government to ameliorate the Iron Law of Political Economics centralization due to the game theory of political control. Sounds very logical.  Roll Eyes

Craig simply offers nothing new and just wants to take us back to old centralized Internet.

Sorry. Facts.

jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2019, 05:57:05 AM
Last edit: June 10, 2019, 04:19:45 PM by jbreher

No, you still have not addressed how the network was not so damaged through the eras of the 250K and 500K soft caps.

Work that puzzle out, then tell me how those episodes were somehow exempt from your so-called fatal flaw.

hv_
Legendary

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2019, 06:31:50 AM

The main reason Bitcoin has value is the fact that it works irrespective of any legal frameworks. CSW misses this main premise.

UASF control by hobby bitcoiners and PoSM change management

Or

Decent registered mining industry ( yes , it is also decentralized enough) in control to NOT change base protocol

Easy choice when scaling needed for global adoption , but some see only CSW and stop thinking

jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2019, 06:13:17 PM

Quote from: Shelby Moore

1. Recording of all data—without any options for privacy so that omniscient governments can be held accountable—is totalitarianism. Because accountability does nothing to fix nor even mitigate the Iron Law of Political Economics which insures that democracy will always be about selling infinite debt to infinite wants. Obligatory transparency of data can’t rectify that inherent flaw of democracy. So given the Weberian definition of government is a “monopoly on violence”, removing our voluntary option for privacy will enable absolute enslavement. Governance will become an Orwellian winner-take-all 666 if we follow Craig’s naivete. Our wise forefathers understood this and thusly recognized in the U.S. Constitution our inalienable right to bear arms and made direct taxation unconstitutional.

OK, I'll now respond to point 1. Your characterization of BSV as having no options for privacy is just false. While it is true that all data on the blockchain is publicly visible is true, this is also true of all other public blockchains. So no, you cannot so castigate BSV for this 'sin' without so castigating BTC, BCH, 0.5.3, etc.

But more germane, a characteristic shared by public blockchains is that the data wrapped in a tx (negligible in possible size on some blockchains, capacious in others) can be wrapped in encryption before being wrapped in a tx. Such encryption being in complete control of whichever party creates the tx.

Further, where exactly do you see BSV as a bastion of democracy? Nay, it is explicitly a meritocracy.

For these reasons, I reject your characterization of BSV as a tool of totalitarianism. At least without discussion of some other vector thereof.

2. The “solution” provided by BSV for transaction volume scaling is essentially centralization. Thus the outcome of totalitarian control or failure due to infighting due to the inability for one mining/dev group to subjugate the will of another.

Both points are evidence that Craig is fighting against decentralization. Craig wants to return to the old dysfunctional political order which will die in flames of totalitarianism over the next decade(s).

Craig's rhetoric is rather state-loving*, this is true. However, I have yet to hear him advocate any protocol changes in order to make the blockchain more useful for the state. His rhetoric is descriptive, not prescriptive. So what's your point?

*To put a finer point on it, not so much state-loving as civilization-loving or society-loving, with the state being merely proxy these otherwise nebulous 'collective-pseudo-entities'.

Because I already provided a link upthread several times which explains in detail why automatically (e.g. via miner consensus) adaptive block size does not function correct decentralized.

No. As stated earlier (maybe our async communication is just crossing?), you cannot make this claim until you explain how the system persevered through the eras of the soft block size caps.

You ostensibly just do not see holes in his inept designs which will cause them to crash and burn eventually. Centralization is an entire waste of time. Not trustless, not permissionless. Just use Facebook coin then.

Do I understand you to be claiming some difference in centralization force between BSV and BTC or even 0.5.3? If so, you need to explain to me how it is any different. In lieu such explanation, I will simply respond 'bullshit'.

Nope. I expect something totally new and closer to perfect will arrive on the scene at an opportune time. It will not be Bitcoin, nor any fork of Bitcoin.

Great. Then again, you've been claiming to have the ultimate anonymous decentralized cryptocurrency design for years. Maybe it is time to get coding?

BSV advocates idolizing governance and law in general, as if some competition amongst nations will rectify human nature in political collectives.

I refer you to my point above. Rhetoric is merely rhetoric. The protocol is what it is. I'm surprised I need to point out the difference to you.

THX 1138

Activity: 208
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 11, 2019, 09:25:07 AM
Last edit: June 11, 2019, 10:17:52 AM by THX 1138

Shelby has asked me to pass on his response:

Quote from: Shelby

How many parties make up 51% of BTC hashpower? Four. Already.

In my haste, I failed to respond to this specific claim of yours. You’re ostensibly referring to pools. There are available protocols for pools that can even enable individual miners in the pool to dictate what goes in the block which they find the winning solution for. Miners can switch from pools at any time.

If you’re instead referring to ASIC vendors, contrary to my expectations more and more fabs are available for ASIC vendors, such as Samsung and Fujitsu recently. And the number of ASIC vendors are also increasing with greater competition. And recently solar power has been as cheap as 1.5 cents per kwh. China has banned Bitcoin mining and an industry insider claims 90% of it has left China. It actually seems that Bitcoin mining is becoming more decentralized, which was surprising.

No, you still have not addressed how the network was not so damaged through the eras of the 250K and 500K soft caps.

Work that puzzle out, then tell me how those episodes were somehow exempt from your so-called fatal flaw.

I will explain below AFAICS there’s no puzzle. You appear to be mixing domain knowledge ineptitude and condescending hubris, which is a recipe for being humiliated and impoverished. I will try to be respectful and friendly despite the fact that you’re (just slightly) abusing me and trampling my effort in the mud like swine, with your what appears to be Dunning-Kruger-ness (?). I don’t go out of my way to be condescending and project lazy, ineptitude as hubris. JJG is an expert at doing that. As has been the case with other Coretards who are offended by facts, JJG misperceives my effort as cocky when in fact it is a humble (and pita, painstaking) attempt to help others. My words do become more sharp-tongued to those who refuse to stop trampling my effort in the mud. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and try to be factual and withhold my sharp tongue this time. Please take this opportunity to be more circumspect and improve your research and domain knowledge before you reply.

How about you tell us what puzzle you think you have worked out? Explain it to us or link us to some document which explains it. Full transparency please, not time-wasting obfuscation, political tactics. You are an engineer. Where is your technological document explaining this?

As I told you before (perhaps in a private communication), I have not studied in great detail all the machinations from that period of Bitcoin’s history. I do remember that Luke Jr. was (and apparently still is) adamant about smaller block sizes. Do you have a document which summarizes in sufficient detail what occurred so I can analyze it?

I did a Google search and found the following:

By default Bitcoin will not created blocks larger than 250kb even though it could do so without a hard fork. We have now reached this limit. Transactions are stacking up in the memory pool and not getting cleared fast enough.

What this means is, you need to take a decision and do one of these things:

• Start your node with the -blockmaxsize flag set to something higher than 250kb, for example -blockmaxsize=1023000. This will mean you create larger blocks that confirm more transactions. You can also adjust the size of the area in your blocks that is reserved for free transactions with the -blockprioritysize flag.
  • Change your nodes code to de-prioritize or ignore transactions you don't care about, for example, Luke-Jr excludes SatoshiDice transactions which makes way for other users.
  • Do nothing.

If everyone does nothing, then people will start having to attach higher and higher fees to get into blocks until Bitcoin fees end up being uncompetitive with competing services like PayPal.

If you mine on a pool, ask your pool operator what their policy will be on this, and if you don't like it, switch to a different pool.

I added extra emphasis to the key statement above.

AFAICS, the key point is a hard fork would only have occurred if miners had chosen sizes greater than the 1 MB hard limit that Satoshi had put in immutable “v0.1”.

So AFAICS there’s no “puzzle”. The miners could make any size block they wanted to up to 1 MB and the Satoshi protocol would accept it with no hard fork. Any consensus around which “soft limit” to use was always overhead limited by the 1 MB hard cap limit dictated by Satoshi’s immutable protocol. Immutable because there was no Schelling point to hard fork the protocol. Hard forks are always worthless compared to (worth less than) the original, immutable Satoshi protocol, because otherwise it would require a Schelling point wherein the majority of wealth decides to sell the original and buy the new. But the problem is what new block size value do we agree on? We will never agree on one value. Thus the choice is between selling the original and buying innumerable competing forks, and thus the “unforgeable costliness” can never be transferred to hard forks. That is the game theory of proof-of-work. Learn it. Drill it into your mind. It will never change.

So Core was worthless because it did not force the Bitcoin wealth to make a decision. It sneakily injected a temporary “soft fork” deception to delay the decision of the wealthy. And of course the Bitcoin wealth have already made their decision about BSV and BCH. Just look at the relative market caps. And no the Bitcoin wealth is never going to sell out and buy BSV. For the reason I explained in the prior paragraph. Get real man. Wake up from the hocus pocus spell that Craig put on you.

And that is a critical distinction from the inept nonsense in BSV, which either has a) no hard limit, b) has a hard limit that is so high it can drive transaction fee revenue too low, or c) has a centralized protocol hard limit that is periodically raised. The last possibility #c is explicit centralization and the former two #a and #b enable a winner-take-all miner centralization that I explained already in my prior posts. With the adaptive unbounded block sizes limited by miner consensus in #a, a miner with sufficient percent of the network hashrate can (via economics) drive the adaptive consensus block size too large and thus is equivalent to #b. Multiple times upthread I provided a link which explains the problem with adaptive block sizes in more technological detail.

A block size which is too large as in #b (and what #a degenerates to) can force transaction fees too low, which enables bankrupting the marginal miners until the winner-take-all most efficient miner (or mining oligarchy) totally centralizes mining. I have explained this concept so many times to you over the years in various bitcointalk.org threads. I have never seen a cogent, correct, detailed rebuttal from you. Why do you continue obfuscating your thoughts by referring to some nebulous “puzzle” that you never specify?

Maybe it is time to get coding?

[…]

I'm surprised I need to point out the difference to you.

Character assassination (aka argument via ad hominem) instead of factual discussion, is not cooperation nor a meritocracy. That’s (along with Coretards’ appeal to authority, e.g. when they cite the BitcOn-job, hack Gregory Maxwell) the Dunning-Kruger, political trough tactics and laziness of Coretards such as JJG. I would prefer they tried to argue technological facts without attempting to personalize discussion (i.e. not resorting to the trough of politics), but they’re incapable of doing so and so they force me to judge their character. But I speak factually about them. They do not speak factually about me. They bear false witness and they will reap what they sow. They are not worth a further mention from me. Let JJG carry on with his nonsense in the W.O. thread. It’s reality to him in his corner of “reality”.

Perhaps one could argue that my articulation is not comprehensive enough (even though it is exhausting enough to write what I do write) and that being a suitable justification for why others malign me or trample my effort in the mud. As if it is totally my responsibility to educate every person who thinks they know more about blockchain technology, economics, and game theory than they actually do. Nevertheless I put a lot of effort in, and my antagonists typically flippantly expend the minimum effort into trampling my effort with their ad hominem drivel and do not even try to grok the technological, economic, and game theory issues I have explained.

I understand you may feel slighted when I characterize BSV as inept nonsense. I think I am speaking factually and it is not directed to any person. I even stated in my prior post that I am not against Craig Wright in any personal sense. Also I have tried my best to protect you from scams, and I will admit that I have written to you private (or hinted in public) that I think you (and others) are contemplating potentially ruinous actions (not just on BSV but as you know other topics in private discussions such as not coming out of statism). So maybe this has sowed some minor resentment or maybe not. My intentions were sincere, but I can see where perhaps that is analogous to the judgemental relative who thinks they know what is best. So I should stop that and I will.

OK, I'll now respond to point 1. Your characterization of BSV as having no options for privacy is just false. While it is true that all data on the blockchain is publicly visible is true, this is also true of all other public blockchains. So no, you cannot so castigate BSV for this 'sin' without so castigating BTC, BCH, 0.5.3, etc.

Please provide a link to those privacy options on BSV which are not a hard fork of Bitcoin’s protocol (aka “Satoshi’s Vision”)? I will then proceed to explain why these technologies are insufficient. You seem to forget that I am something of an autodidact “expert” on anonymity (remember I was the “Legendary” @Anonymint who was one of the first who pushed for anonymity technology in 2013 for cryptocurrency) and recently been entirely vindicated about the flaws I alleged in Monero since 2014.

If you are referring to some hard fork of Bitcoin (other than the block size), then you will be merely confirming my anticipation of something that is not Bitcoin and which will be an improvement over Bitcoin for the medium-of-exchange function which Bitcoin was not designed to be.

But more germane, a characteristic shared by public blockchains is that the data wrapped in a tx (negligible in possible size on some blockchains, capacious in others) can be wrapped in encryption before being wrapped in a tx. Such encryption being in complete control of whichever party creates the tx.

What part of—‘encryption’ has as much to do with anonymity mix sets, as warm-blood has to do with mammals—do you not understand? Yeah encryption is usually needed for form anonymity over the Internet but it is an insufficient condition by itself.

In the context of anonymity that is an ignorant statement. Do I need to explain why? Encryption is not a mix set. You apparently understand nothing about anonymity technology.

Further, where exactly do you see BSV as a bastion of democracy? Nay, it is explicitly a meritocracy.

Your handwaving lack of domain specific technological knowledge apparently induces you to write meaningless statements.

Craig is correct that BSV does not provide both untraceability and unlinkabiilty. Thus AFAICS his rhetoric about transparency and accountability matches the technological reality of what BSV is. I doubt you will be able to provide a valid technological refutation.

For these reasons, I reject your characterization of BSV as a tool of totalitarianism. At least without discussion of some other vector thereof.

I respect that you are a talented engineer in your domain of specialization (presumably more knowledgeable than me in your engineering specialty). But so far you have convinced me that your blockchain domain knowledge is too weak to have a correct interpretation of the reality you are trying to perceive about BSV. Whereas, I am reasonably confident that my blockchain domain knowledge is far beyond yours. Of course I am open to being corrected by your future reply. This is not an appeal to authority, as I have refuted you with facts, not authority. Rather this is a suggestion to be circumspect about your mistakes so you do not fall in Craig’s woodchipper along with the Maxwelled-Coretards, Fluffy-Monerotards, Vitaklans, Larimereameds, etc..

Craig's rhetoric is rather state-loving*, this is true. However, I have yet to hear him advocate any protocol changes in order to make the blockchain more useful for the state. His rhetoric is descriptive, not prescriptive. So what's your point?

*To put a finer point on it, not so much state-loving as civilization-loving or society-loving, with the state being merely proxy these otherwise nebulous 'collective-pseudo-entities'.

I also deduced the possibility of that finer conceptualization of his stance. I just can’t write everything I think, else it would be a novel. I also expected that sort of retort to my stance that Christians must reject statism and especially I expected that you would precisely be thinking that (I read your mind really no joke). The retort is that if we reject civilization, then we reject prosperity. Note Romans 13 tells us to cooperate with governments that are good. This means we can participate in civilization but we should stand our ground on unconstitutional income taxes and the God given inalienable right to bear arms (without need for permitting and permission from any State). IOW, we can cooperate with a State that does not demand a Weberian monopoly on violence and which respects private property rights and freedom of religion. But when the State metamorphoses to a Beast the collects income taxes, we are to come out of her the Great Harlot. Every now and then the tree of liberty has to be replenished with the blood of tyrants and believers. Bear in mind who my ancestor was (and he did not even have the warlike Cherokee ancestry I also have from my mother’s side):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Shelby
(fmr. Confederate General and Governor of Kentucky)

I’m relieved that I was not there in the South when these SJWs were tearing down the statues of my ancestors. I don’t know if I would have been able to restrain myself.

Kentucky is where the “shots heard round the world” were first fired. Male readers should listen to this pastor and learn to be a man:

https://youtu.be/zZeBUipC388?t=2381

He gets into the story of the battle at Lexington, Kentucky at the following linked juncture in the video:

https://youtu.be/zZeBUipC388?t=3060

[True not fake taught in most churches] Christianity is all about cooperation and respect for private property. It is the only philosophy of life that is fully compatible with Libertarianism. Again I explained it in more detail in a recent blog:

https://steemit.com/religion/@anonymint/ethics-of-religion-money-and-bitcoin

We Westerners were nothing before Christianity (and especially the form of it West of the Hajnal line) and we will be nothing again soon as we have departed from the only thing that made us great:

https://steemit.com/philosophy/@anonymint/geographical-cultural-ethos-science-is-dead-part-2

Because I already provided a link upthread several times which explains in detail why automatically (e.g. via miner consensus) adaptive block size does not function correct decentralized.

No. As stated earlier (maybe our async communication is just crossing?), you cannot make this claim until you explain how the system persevered through the eras of the soft block size caps.

Done. In this post above.

Do I understand you to be claiming some difference in centralization force between BSV and BTC or even 0.5.3? If so, you need to explain to me how it is any different. In lieu such explanation, I will simply respond 'bullshit'.

Real, immutable, one-and-only Satoshi v0.5.3 (aka “v0.1”) Bitcoin has an immutable block size. Thus no centralization possible around block size changes. BSV and BCH are and will always be centralized (by politics and eventually even mining if not already) because of not keeping the immutable block size.

How was that not obvious? I have been stating that all along.

Great. Then again, you've been claiming to have the ultimate anonymous decentralized cryptocurrency design for years. Maybe it is time to get coding?

I stated very clearly that I am too ill to code. I do spotty research. I am obviously referring to the possibility that ideas are out there and someone will create the medium-of-exchange coin eventually.

Why do you assume I am talking about myself? Why do you assume I think I have a monopoly on ideas? For example, have I ever claimed to have invented zk-starks?

Trolls character assassinate me, then I respond by pointing out how many times I have been correct about so many technological issues, and so they then assume I am claiming to be so cocky that they think I am thinking I am the only person in the world who could create a decentralized medium-of-exchange cryptocurrency. I have never stated that in public. In fact, I did not start that asinine “Bitcoin killer” thread. The user @thejaytiesto created it and I certainly did not ask him to do it. And recently he honored my request to close the thread to further posts since I can not defend myself there. Remember when that thread was posted, I was incredibly ill given I had gut Tuberculosis and many other ailments and was taking 5000mg a day of very toxic antibiotics that made me extremely, extremely ill. I tried to defend myself in that thread against trolls when I was very, very discombobulated and ill. You guys are so friendly and fair like true Christians. :rolleyes:

Maybe you just want something to exist which does not exist. So maybe you are angry/frustrated with me when I call a spade a spade, because you think I am unfairly villifying a reasonable experiment (as if at least trying is better than doing nothing and only talking) because presumably you want so much for the medium-of-exchange cryptocurrency to exist when it does not exist. So blame it on me by writing something very hurtful like the above. As if you expect that creating such a cryptocurrency can be done overnight. How can one code when they are still doing research? Coding can not start until someone solves all of the flaws in the research. I am not a person who slaps nonsense together in code and then sell garbage to the community so they get scammed, lose their wealth, create nothing of value, and end up in the woodchipper. I have some German ancestry (in addition to Welsh and French-Italian) so I admire quality, not slop.

Besides I will not be launching any altcoin. It is too much for one person to accomplish by themself even if they did have all the research sorted out, and no way that such an altcoin can be launched by a team which is not anonymous.

Readers every altcoin which has a team you can identify is of course never going to be decentralized. If it begins with politics and personalities, then so it will die by them as well.

I suspect some anonymous group will accomplish it eventually. It will likely appear with no fanfair, very spartan matter-of-fact documentation, and when we least expect it such as at the bottom of a cryptowinter when nobody is paying attention.

BSV advocates idolizing governance and law in general, as if some competition amongst nations will rectify human nature in political collectives.

I refer you to my point above. Rhetoric is merely rhetoric. The protocol is what it is. I'm surprised I need to point out the difference to you.

I am not surprised that I have to point out to people that if their premises are flawed, then their dependent character assassination drivel is flawed. Touché.

jbreher
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2019, 05:35:51 PM
Last edit: June 11, 2019, 05:51:36 PM by jbreher

Shelby has asked me to pass on his response:

Thanks, THX. How's LUH? Fine, I hope.

I've taken the liberty to unroll a quote level.

First, calm down. For someone so hasty to dish out negative classifications, you sure do have a thin skin. There was no character assassination in my post. This is not the first time you've run off the handle after some merely-imagined slight. I apologize for any offense. None was meant.

Quote from: Shelby
How many parties make up 51% of BTC hashpower? Four. Already.

In my haste, I failed to respond to this specific claim of yours. You’re ostensibly referring to pools. There are available protocols for pools that can even enable individual miners in the pool to dictate what goes in the block which they find the winning solution for. Miners can switch from pools at any time.

If you’re instead referring to ASIC vendors, contrary to my expectations more and more fabs are available for ASIC vendors, such as Samsung and Fujitsu recently. And the number of ASIC vendors are also increasing with greater competition. And recently solar power has been as cheap as 1.5 cents per kwh. China has banned Bitcoin mining and an industry insider claims 90% of it has left China. It actually seems that Bitcoin mining is becoming more decentralized, which was surprising.

My _explicit_ point was that BCH, BTC, 0.5.3, and all other public PoW blockchains suffer this same tendency for mining centralization. I made no claim that BSV was somehow immune from this force. How about you actually address this point, instead of some straw man invention of your own?

I will explain below AFAICS there’s no puzzle.

Yes, there is the puzzle of how -- as you claim -- any blockchain without an immutable block size cap is doomed to certain failure (that is your claim, right?), that Bitcoin survived through the era of the successively abandoned lesser soft block size caps. And I would not have worded the preceding so forcefully, had you not previously indicated to me that you would study these events -- of which you admitted your ignorance -- and provide a suitable explanation of how your theory is congruent with these facts.

How about you tell us what puzzle you think you have worked out?

I'm not claiming to have worked out any puzzle. I am just saying that the previously-existing soft block caps are puzzling, as they seem to provide direct counter evidence of your theory.

Explain it to us or link us to some document which explains it.

Here's a place to start: http://hashingit.com/analysis/39-the-myth-of-the-megabyte-bitcoin-block , complete with handy pointers to further evidence. Let me know if you need more.

AFAICS, the key point is a hard fork would only have occurred if miners had chosen sizes greater than the 1 MB hard limit that Satoshi had put in immutable “v0.1”.

So AFAICS there’s no “puzzle”. The miners could make any size block they wanted to up to 1 MB and the Satoshi protocol would accept it with no hard fork. Any consensus around which “soft limit” to use was always overhead limited by the 1 MB hard cap limit dictated by Satoshi’s immutable protocol. Immutable because there was no Schelling point to hard fork the protocol. Hard forks are always worthless compared to (worth less than) the original, immutable Satoshi protocol, because otherwise it would require a Schelling point wherein the majority of wealth decides to sell the original and buy the new. But the problem is what new block size value do we agree on? We will never agree on one value. Thus the choice is between selling the original and buying innumerable competing forks, and thus the “unforgeable costliness” can never be transferred to hard forks. That is the game theory of proof-of-work. Learn it. Drill it into your mind. It will never change.

See, here's the kicker, Shelby. Let's set aside the issue that -- given enough time and incentive -- the difference between hard and soft forks are merely academic. Set aside the issue that further increases to the max block size are impossible due to immutability. The fact is that the original protocol (i.e., satoshi's 0.1 protocol) -- which you refer to as immutable -- had no 1 MB max block size cap.

At 0.1 there was no block size limit in the protocol. The code (not the protocol) was limited in that no provision had yet been coded to allow a block to span multiple TCP segments. But even that limitation was well in excess of 1MB.

So what you claim to be an "immutable" protocol has already undergone a change in the exact dimension you claim it cannot.

Now I am not arguing against your claim of centralization pressure. But as pointed out above, the exact same pressures are being felt on all public PoW blockchains. Not only BSV, but BCH, BTC, 0.5.3, whatever. You seem to believe this is fatal. I do not. All experience hath shewn that, absent outside regulatory force, detrimental natural monopolies are unstable.

Please provide a link to those privacy options on BSV which are not a hard fork of Bitcoin’s protocol (aka “Satoshi’s Vision”)?

Again with the straw man. In direct conflict with what I posted so clearly only one paragraph previously. I am not claiming any hard fork which absolves BSV of the privacy sins of BTC, et al. I am explicitly claiming that they all sit in the same bucket in this regard.

What part of—‘encryption’ has as much to do with anonymity

What's with the 'anonymity'? Did you see me employ that term in my arguments above? No. The discussion is not anonymity. It is privacy. Different animals. If you want to discuss anonymity, that's fine, but that's a separate issue. But frankly, my discussion here is merely to compare and contrast BSV with the other Bitcoin forks (to include 0.5.3, which one could argue is either a fork or not a fork).

Done. In this post above.

Not done. You have provided no explanation which I can discern which explains away the events of the block size soft caps not resulting in the armageddon you foretell for lack of immutable block size caps. Perhaps with the info leading to comprehensive links I provided above, you will be able to work these into your theory.

Real, immutable, one-and-only Satoshi v0.5.3 (aka “v0.1”) Bitcoin has an immutable block size. Thus no centralization possible around block size changes. BSV and BCH are and will always be centralized (by politics and eventually even mining if not already) because of not keeping the immutable block size.

For someone so forceful in application of the power law, your willingness to ignore it completely as a force for mining centralization is aggravating. If you can quantify the centralization forces due to your so-called (ad argumento) 'lack of block size cap Schelling point' and due to the power law distribution of resources and capabilities, and then show how the latter is insignificant as compared to the former, then you will have made a point. Otherwise, no.

And again, the original v0.1 protocol did not and does not have a 1MB block size cap.

I am not surprised that I have to point out to people that if their premises are flawed, then their dependent character assassination drivel is flawed. Touché.

There was no character assassination expressed or implied. You seem to have been so aggravated by the imagined slight such that you walked right over my point. To wit: It matters not what the rhetoric surrounding a coin is, as long as is does not affect the protocol. And the reality is that the loudest voices in 'state loving' within BSV are the very same voices advocating protocol stability.

Until such time as you see significant credible call for modifying BSV's protocol to further serve the state, appeals to base emotion based upon suspicion of the state are invalid in technical argument.

Touche' indeed.

hv_
Legendary

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2019, 06:02:01 PM

I really wonder why u guys still try to solve 'decentralized mining' where u migh start with decent definition and maths measurement for that first.

There is only clear central like fiat or xrp, hyperledger ... even PoS is here imo

Or

Open PoW blockchain where hardest competition and highest degrees of freedom = highest friction does ensure the killing of any too big to fail / monopolist over time.  Even the inner force of a potential monopolist that a central dictated coin has no value will stop him to grow over a specific ownership, wouldn't it?

Increase the degrees of freedom, get rid of artificial limits that are lowering  some miners risks (... bandwidth...)

hv_
Legendary

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2019, 09:38:58 AM

Kinda belongs here

https://mobile.twitter.com/Silver_Watchdog/status/1138313445982515201

When implode?

hv_
Legendary

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2019, 01:56:57 PM

Omg, wall of text and things got mixed.

More wall

https://craigwright.net/blog/law-regulation/feign-madness-but-keep-your-balance/

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: