Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:56:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How Theymos became Administrator.  (Read 437 times)
CoinChili (OP)

Activity: 239
Merit: 15

View Profile
May 27, 2019, 05:44:44 AM

Good day Bitcointalk community.
Like the title said.
I was laying in my bed, reading some Theymos posts about forum rules, etc. It was suddenly came accross my mind and very curious about some few things. I don't know if this is the necessarry section to ask this but,

-If Satoshi is the founder of this forum, how did Theymos got access here? Did Theymos knew Satoshi  personally? Funny thought but I am thinking if Theymos is Satoshi?
I am really curious about how Theymos started in bitcointalk forum.

Can someone give me some good link to read upon Theymo's journey or how did he came up being the Administrator here?
Please enlighten me.

Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CryptopreneurBrainboss
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 4133

eXch.cx - Automatic crypto Swap Exchange.

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2019, 06:12:57 AM

I would had summarize everything but it's best you get it from the horses mouth himself.

It's surprising how well-documented history can become totally forgotten... Satoshi created the forum on Nov 22, 2009, and was head administrator until almost 2011. Then Sirius was head administrator until 2012, which is when I took over.

Cobra also owns the bitcointalk.org domain name. I consider the forum to be basically owned by or at least dedicated to the Bitcoin community, though; I don't call anyone an owner of the forum.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
dbshck
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 2440
Merit: 1616

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
May 27, 2019, 06:13:57 AM
Merited by logfiles (2), Husna QA (1), umbara ardian (1), asu (1)

Did Theymos knew Satoshi  personally?
No. I don't think anyone knows satoshi personally.

Some interesting read from https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5129680
It's surprising how well-documented history can become totally forgotten... Satoshi created the forum on Nov 22, 2009, and was head administrator until almost 2011. Then Sirius was head administrator until 2012, which is when I took over.
There was a period where both Sirius and I were active administrators. For convenience, I reckon Jan 1, 2012 as when I became head administrator, though it was actually a gradual transition starting before and ending after that.
1. I don't know him personally. He was made a forum and server admin back in 2010 because he had proven himself trustworthy and was able to spend time working on it. Bitcoin.org and bitcointalk.org domains are owned by someone trusted by Satoshi, while theymos has management rights. I resigned from the management, because I'm not active in the community and don't want to be involved in the politics. I don't want to say too much about the debate, as I'm not that familiar with all that's going on.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
elda34b

Activity: 910
Merit: 351

View Profile
May 27, 2019, 06:15:56 AM
Merited by dbshck (4), Husna QA (1), TheBeardedBaby (1)

The story of how I became head admin is actually pretty boring. Moderators were needed, so I was made a global moderator. Then admins were needed, so I was made an admin. Then over time the other admins slowly lost interest and resigned until I was the only one left. I guess most of the people who were around here to see this have more-or-less left the community now. That's a bit sad.

It's not entirely clear, but for simplicity I usually say that I became head admin at the beginning of 2011, a little over a year after the forum was created.

The forum was originally located at bitcoin.org/smf, then forum.bitcoin.org (hence the redirect), and finally bitcointalk.org. Fun fact: The name "bitcointalk" was invented by Jeff Garzik, and he's the one who bought the domain.

For additional details about how he became an admin.
tbct_mt2

Activity: 2310
Merit: 835

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2019, 07:27:20 AM
Last edit: May 27, 2019, 07:37:51 AM by tbct_mt2

The forum was originally located at bitcoin.org/smf, then forum.bitcoin.org (hence the redirect), and finally bitcointalk.org. Fun fact: The name "bitcointalk" was invented by Jeff Garzik, and he's the one who bought the domain.
Does it mean that Cobra is the account of Jeff Garzik ?
More information about Cobra:
Bitcoin.org:
 - Cobra has ultimate control over the domain name. I have access to the domain name settings.
 - Cobra runs the server.
 - Will Binns holds the BTC.

Bitcointalk.org:
 - Cobra has ultimate control over the domain name. I have access to the domain name settings.
 - I run the server. Cobra has no access to the database or server.
 - The BTC is held by myself and the treasurers. Cobra has no access.

I am not Cobra. What would even be the point of that?

The most interesting thing of the forum is its decentralization, at least in its ownership. There is no one personally own the forum. I don't know how it started and maintained its core approach to be developed, managed like this. Maybe it started with determinantly development plans from Satoshi Nakamoto, in the way he decentralized the forum, then over some head admins, and theymos in recent years, the forum has maintained its decentralization very well (through some types of system - Trust, merit).
Theymos has seriously had plans to more decentralize merit system.
This thought occurred to me recently:

If you wanted to implement Merit in a decentralized forum (ie. one in the vein of Freenet's Frost or FMS), you could do it in this way:
 - Everyone can, from their own perspective, give unlimited merit to posts, and these merit transactions are put into files which each user publishes via the decentralized system. (Like a merit.txt.xz which every user publishes.) Unlike on bitcointalk.org, you can also give people merit without an associated post.
 - For everyone who has merit, you download their merit-transactions-list, but scale down/up all of the numbers so that the total merit that they send is equal to the actual sMerit that they own. It might or might not be useful to do this via some sliding time frame scheme so that merit transaction amounts aren't just continually diminished over time as they increase in quantity.
 - Apply the above step recursively, creating a web-of-trust-style merit network

Then every user has a subjective merit score for each post (sort of like the bitcointalk.org trust system, which was inspired by FMS). And if you wish, you can assign people to be merit sources from your perspective by sending them large amounts of merit directly; these might or might not appear in the merit-transactions-list which you publish.

airbet 
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

▄████▄▄▄██████▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████▀▀▀▀████
██████████████
▀███▀███████▄██
██████████▄███
██████████████
███████████████
███████████████
██████████████
█████▐████████
██████▀███████▀
▄███████████████▄
████████████████
█░██████████████
████████████████
████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████░█░███████
████████████████
█████████████████
██████████████░█
████████████████
▀███████████████▀
██▄▄▄
████████▄▄
██████▀▀████▄
██████▄░░████▄
██████████████
████████░░▀███▌
░████████▄▄████
██████████████▌
███░░░█████████
█████████░░░██▀
░░░███████████▀
██████░░░██▀
░░▀▀███▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
 PLAY NOW 
IMadeYouReadThis

Activity: 56
Merit: 14

GROW THROUGH, WHAT YOU GO THROUGH

View Profile
May 27, 2019, 07:50:38 AM

It is pretty simple, he was one of the trusted person of Satoshi and has worked with Satoshi in the development of Bitcoin.

Also, if you check more, Theymos is not the only admin here. Sirius was before him and also Cobra owns the domain name.

This are there profile links on Bitcointalk:

Sirius: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;threads;u=4

Cobra: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=249495

“It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.” ~Albert Einstein
elda34b

Activity: 910
Merit: 351

View Profile
May 27, 2019, 11:47:09 AM

Does it mean that Cobra is the account of Jeff Garzik ?

Here's his Bitcointalk profile: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=541.
I get the impression that they're a different person.
roosbit

Activity: 891
Merit: 43

Random coins :)

View Profile
May 27, 2019, 01:19:47 PM

~snip~

Cobra also owns the bitcointalk.org domain name. I consider the forum to be basically owned by or at least dedicated to the Bitcoin community, though; I don't call anyone an owner of the forum.
So on this day Nov 22, 2009, the day the forum was created is the day admin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=3 went dark  .
But from the records i could find from here >> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5.0, BCT migrated from http://bitcoin.sourceforge.net/boards/index.php... could it be admins were maintained from the first bitcoin forum
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: