Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:19:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Namecoins sent to a bitcoin wallet. Now what?  (Read 4096 times)
amazingrando (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 06:38:37 PM

Using namecoind on Windows I mistakenly used 'sendtoaddress' with a bitcoin wallet address.  The client had no problem with that and gave me a transaction code.  Also, my wallet address is zero.  Are those coins lost in cyberspace?  Huh

Bitbond - 105% PPS mining bond - mining payouts without buying hardware
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 07:34:42 PM

I don't know enough about the protocol design to say for sure, but you would think that it starting with a "1" would automatically get it rejected. I would assume no miner would put it in a block at the very least. Otherwise there are some pretty piss-poor protocol (lack of) designs in place.

amazingrando (OP)

Activity: 546

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 07:38:13 PM

I was surprised that it accepted the wallet address.  It should have rejected it and told me that it wasn't a valid namecoin wallet address. 

Bitbond - 105% PPS mining bond - mining payouts without buying hardware
foo

Activity: 409
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 02:19:00 PM

Addresses beginning with "1" are accepted for historical reasons, AFAIK. (The "N" prefix wasn't used when Namecoin started.)

If you have the private key for the Bitcoin address I believe you can import it into your Namecoin wallet and claim the coins.

I know this because Tyler knows this.
finway

Activity: 714

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 02:21:51 PM

Addresses beginning with "1" are accepted for historical reasons, AFAIK. (The "N" prefix wasn't used when Namecoin started.)

If you have the private key for the Bitcoin address I believe you can import it into your Namecoin wallet and claim the coins.

wow~~  really ?  can i just use my bitcoin wallet.dat ?

kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050

You are WRONG!

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 02:22:28 PM

sounds right.
the address is just: 1 or N + base56 encoded public key hash. the public key will be the same, no matter what what the prefix is.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
foo

Activity: 409
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 02:45:23 PM

sounds right.
the address is just: 1 or N + base56 encoded public key hash. the public key will be the same, no matter what what the prefix is.
Incorrect. See the Wiki for how an address is made: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Address
The first character is not just added, it's derived from the Base58 encoding, and there's a checksum at the end too.

I know this because Tyler knows this.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 02:54:27 PM

If you back up your wallet frequently, you can just restore the backup since the spent coins won't be confirmed.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 04:56:58 PM

If you back up your wallet frequently, you can just restore the backup since the spent coins won't be confirmed.
yes they will.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 05:11:15 PM

yes they will.

It worked for me. Maybe it was a bug.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 05:16:18 PM

yes they will.

it will just be treated as a double spend. You were lucky.
was it in the difficulty-way-too-high-time before merged mining?

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 05:23:40 PM

yes they will.

It wasn't a namecoin that was spent, but a bitcoin that went to an invalid address that did not get confirmed. I thought this would be the same type of error. It was during the time when DD attacks were going on.

kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 05:35:31 PM

yes they will.

It wasn't a namecoin that was spent, but a bitcoin that went to an invalid address that did not get confirmed. I thought this would be the same type of error. It was during the time when DD attacks were going on.
no hash are invalid. the bit/name-coin address is just a prefix + hash + checksum, the prefix to know which network we are talking about, the hash to specify the address, and the checksum to make sure there is no mistyping.
the client will discard a address if the prefix invalid, but the whole address is not in the transaction, only the hash.
in the good old times, when namecoin did not have their own prefix, there was no diffrence between bitcoin and namecoin addresses.
the hash + checksum, is just a hash of a public key, which can be used on both networks.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: