Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:29:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Account got hacked  (Read 147 times)
kxp (OP)

Activity: 144
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 01, 2019, 11:46:16 AM
Merited by LoyceV (1)

just FYI (dunno if that deserves a topic and if this is a correct section), I wasn't active on this forum for a while, namely since 2017.
But during 2018 summer someone apparently hacked into my account and made several posts, you can see through them by viewing my message history. The hackers put some ads into my signature, I assume promoting these referral links was what they aimed to do. No private messages or scam attempts as far as I could see.
Some of the more strange parts was they wouldn't change my password or email and that's how I logged back into the account. Perhaps it was done in order to avoid triggering the forum script to send me a notification about password/email change.
The email wasn't compromised afaik and I can be somewhat sure about it as I have several things attached to it which are more valuable than my account here. I had a somewhat strong password and doubt it was obtained by brute-force attack. We all heard about bitcointalk database leaked (in fact I seen it for sale on several underground forums for few grands) and I would bet that was the case.

So the story is over. Honestly Im not bugged much about it, in fact they even managed to promote my account a bit haha Cheesy

Warning! My negative trust is a result of unfair competitor's action! I received my reputation not for scamming anyone but for being an account seller - check it yourself!
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bL4nkcode
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305

Limited in number. Limitless in potential.

View Profile
June 01, 2019, 11:53:10 AM

You mean for this account? If so, changing your password and email will help to prevent on future hacks. Strong password is useless if you logged on a device with keyogger malware or phishing site, just be aware of those sites.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16616

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2019, 12:44:55 PM

If you're the original account owner, this doesn't belong in Meta. I suggest to move (bottom-left) it to Reputation.

they even managed to promote my account a bit haha Cheesy
You may want to delete all posts that you didn't create. Otherwise you risk getting banned for plagiarism.

kxp (OP)

Activity: 144
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 01, 2019, 01:34:28 PM

You mean for this account? If so, changing your password and email will help to prevent on future hacks. Strong password is useless if you logged on a device with keyogger malware or phishing site, just be aware of those sites.
Yes I mean this account and I am almost sure the case wasn't related to malware as none of my other accounts at any services got hacked. Anyway now I am using another machine, in fact the reason of my inactivity was a severe hardware problem and I bothered to log in here again only today. My bet is the database got at list partly compromised.

Warning! My negative trust is a result of unfair competitor's action! I received my reputation not for scamming anyone but for being an account seller - check it yourself!
Findingnemo

Activity: 2324
Merit: 758

Bitcoin = Financial freedom

View Profile
June 01, 2019, 01:45:09 PM

Yes I mean this account and I am almost sure the case wasn't related to malware as none of my other accounts at any services got hacked. Anyway now I am using another machine, in fact the reason of my inactivity was a severe hardware problem and I bothered to log in here again only today. My bet is the database got at list partly compromised.
Why you still not change our old password yes,just do it as soon as possible ans stake your address here to recover your account in case if it is hacked again.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████████████████████████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███