Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:01:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Trading BTC pairs compared with USD-Crypto pairs  (Read 283 times)
thegoatiest (OP)

Activity: 200
Merit: 12

View Profile
June 02, 2019, 07:19:49 AM

Hello.

I've been trading bitcoin and a few alts to dollar for some time now.
I've never gotten into crypto-crypto pairs. Such as BTC-ETH BTC-XRP...  e.t.c.

I was wandering what the main differences are regarding trading, and where to learn about trading BTC pairs.
What I have noticed; Is it's often the opposite of what you expect.
For instance, Litecoin was about to skyrocket recently, and over a Bitmex i went in on the BTC-LTC pair. Litecoin did skyrocket... and I lost a bunch of money as the BTC-LTC pair dropped hard. Presumably BTC went up even more than LTC or something..

I'm curious about the nuances of BTC-crypto trading. Like, often when bitcoin goes sideways, alts go up..... are there any rough rules like this for BTC pairs?

Cheers,
TG

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tytanowy Janusz
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1622

View Profile
June 02, 2019, 07:29:35 AM

In most cases when volatility on bitcoin decrease than short term speculators move to alts pumping them (btc is too boring) and alt/btc price is mooning.

When volatility on bitcoin increase (by pump or dump) than short termspeculators leave altcoins due to low predictability and move to trade bitcoin which is more predictable than and finally volatile enough.

That way it is good to trade bitcoin to altcoin after dump or pump when bitcoin is resting or moving slowly in any direction.

Important is that if you want to earn $ than trade with alt/$ pair. If you don't care about your return in $$ but you care about your return in BTC than you trade with alt/btc pair. Don't mix it.
thegoatiest (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2019, 08:03:02 AM

Thanks for your reply. That's enlightening.
Personally I'm in it for the $. I also want to invest in BTC or at least have some longer-term trades.. but I'd like to pick my moment to buy in so It's $ for me.
I have a feeling I don't quite get alt/btc pairs.. so I will steer clear of those markets.
 : )
Tytanowy Janusz
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2019, 08:20:31 AM

Stay with $$ based pairs than. If you will decide that it is good to make long term trade with bitcoin than buy it and while waiting for good price to sell you can trade it on btc/alt price to increase its amount. If you are inexperienced with that than train yourself with low bets. 0.001 BTC ~9$ is the lowest possible bet on binance.
elda34b

Activity: 910
Merit: 351

View Profile
June 02, 2019, 09:34:31 AM

I have a feeling I don't quite get alt/btc pairs.. so I will steer clear of those markets.

Most of the time, the golden rule is:
- If BTC is pumping in $ value, alts will likely lose its BTC value but will have more or less the same $ value
- If BTC is dumping in $ value, alts will likely lose its BTC value but will have more or less the same $ value
- If BTC goes sideways, alts will likely increase  BTC value so it will have more $ value too

Traders love the sideway of BTC after a pump, it will give alts a boost in its price just like what happened in 2017 or the other bull run.
Tytanowy Janusz
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2019, 09:56:49 AM

- If BTC is dumping in $ value, alts will likely lose its BTC value but will have more or less the same $ value

Thats mathematically impossible Smiley
$/BTC is dumping, ALT/BTC is going down and ALT/$ stays the same? That makes huge spread between calculated alt/$ price and market ALT/$ price making arbitrage traders do their job and earn on that spread making market alt/$ price dump too.
hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 3645

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2019, 10:14:11 AM

There are no specific patterns or rules for BTC/Alt pairs, but you can rely on some indicators such as:

- If the market is in a long bear, the price of BTC will rise wildly with the stability and tendency to rise by most of cryptos, after reaching the higher levels BTC starts to decline and the crazy rise in altcoins so you can take advantage of both.

Also, there are some inverse pairs such as BTC/BCH.

You can use (BTC Dominance) to predict market behavior as the increase in the index indicates the fear of users of shticoins "fast changes will hapen" and vice versa.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
dark08

Activity: 798
Merit: 104

View Profile
June 02, 2019, 11:25:27 AM

Personally I'm in it for the $. I also want to invest in BTC or at least have some longer-term trades.. but I'd like to pick my moment to buy in so It's $ for me.

For long term traders or holding its better to stick on top altcoin its up to you if you want to trade on USDT pair or in BTC pair but for me I'm okay to btc pair since I want to get more bitcoin for some scenario trader like to trade on USDT pair to see quickly the value of its profit/lose but if you want to hold bitcoin or believe bitcoin will value higher in the future you will like the btc pair.

wawanlindu

Activity: 490
Merit: 28

View Profile
June 02, 2019, 11:43:17 AM

For long term traders or holding its better to stick on top altcoin its up to you if you want to trade on USDT pair or in BTC pair but for me I'm okay to btc pair since I want to get more bitcoin for some scenario trader like to trade on USDT pair to see quickly the value of its profit/lose but if you want to hold bitcoin or believe bitcoin will value higher in the future you will like the btc pair.

But keep in mind, BTC and Cryptocurrency have volatile values, so you have to rethink to invest your funds.
cryptutor

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2019, 12:45:14 PM

Most altcoins can only be traded with BTC or ETH. Which means that alt traders can make their decisions based on two dimensions:
ALT <> BTC and BTC <> USD

If BTCUSD goes up, the buying power of BTC for ALT goes up, so they can either use the BTC to buy more ALTs. Or, convert their alts to BTC to sell back to USD.
thegoatiest (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2019, 01:45:53 PM

You can use (BTC Dominance) to predict market behavior as the increase in the index indicates the fear of users of shticoins "fast changes will hapen" and vice versa.

So if after a pump, bitcoin starts losing dominance that is a possible clue alts are about to make a move up of their own?
Also is the index the % dominance BTC has?
mersal

Activity: 1204
Merit: 38

View Profile
June 02, 2019, 02:23:09 PM

Hello.

I've never gotten into crypto-crypto pairs. Such as BTC-ETH BTC-XRP...  e.t.c.

I was wandering what the main differences are regarding trading, and where to learn about trading BTC pairs.
For instance, Litecoin was about to skyrocket recently, and over a Bitmex i went in on the BTC-LTC pair. Litecoin did skyrocket... and I lost a bunch of money as the BTC-LTC pair dropped hard. Presumably BTC went up even more than LTC or something..

I'm curious about the nuances of BTC-crypto trading. Like, often when bitcoin goes sideways, alts go up..... are there any rough rules like this for BTC pairs?

Cheers,
TG
First of all you need to get the price changes against bitcoin but most of the people just see it in terms of USD which causes huge losses for many trader.On some exchange the prices will not increase too much due to less demand so if you find less price then place order for your desired price.
SirLancelot

Activity: 2478
Merit: 582

View Profile
June 03, 2019, 12:16:58 PM

Yes something like that do happen, whenever the price of btc is going sideways and not really moving up, the price for altcoins begins to go up or maybe cause the price of btc was dropping. But it doesn't happen just like that always, there are times you will discover that it is totally a different case, the price would all follow the same move simultaneously. But I would advise you to continue with the Btc to Usd cause it seems like that is what's working for you. Don't risk your money with a strategy that you know nothing about at all.
Dilerium90

Activity: 756
Merit: 108

View Profile
June 03, 2019, 12:56:22 PM

Hello.

Cheers,
TG
My personal opinion is that if you use technical analysis, then it makes no sense for you to trade a crypto/crypto, because technical analysis does not work there. Trade everything only to the dollar or usdt, then there is a chance to earn.

PERSISTENCE   //   BUY XPRT now!
●✦●───●✦●───  Protocol Powering Next-Gen Financial Products  ───●✦●───●✦●
│██ ██ ███ █████   DeFi    NFT    PoS  █████ ███ ██ ██│
Genemind

Activity: 1596
Merit: 335

View Profile
June 04, 2019, 01:02:15 AM

Bear in mind that it's not always a good time to gain profit out of your investments. Cryptocurrency is volatile and is always changing. Both Bitcoins and altcoins could change unexpectedly as well as Usd. You only need to invest and trade at a perfect time. It's all about the perfect timing.
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
June 04, 2019, 01:31:32 AM

when it comes to altcoins, i'm mainly only interested in BTC pairs. when you see bullish patterns forming across lots of BTC pairs, you know we're entering a period where it's better to hold alts than bitcoin. there's nothing more lucrative than altcoin season!

i don't like to trade alt/USD pairs. often times when bitcoin volatility hits, they just stagnate or bleed down. i'm trying to accumulate bitcoins not dollars (and i hate losing coins) so that's another reason i prefer the BTC pairs.

Astvile

Activity: 1484
Merit: 276

View Profile
June 04, 2019, 03:25:01 AM

For me im only trading altcoins that has BTC pairs,some people preffer ETH pairs too it depends on your taste and the way you trade but I find it more easy to make decisions on BTC pairs.But yeah youre right that when bitcoin price goes dormant or fall then thats the right time to enjoy scalping on altcoing because they are more likely to get pump base on historic patterns everytime bitcoin price falls.

[ monero.cx ]        CREATE A NEW EXCHANGE
  Contact Us            PGP Key            Mirror URLs  |
████████████EXCHANGE ████████████
Innerpumper

Activity: 1021

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2019, 04:25:01 AM

Obviously Bitcoin trading is better, and Bitcoin trading is a different P2P transaction with Fiat trading which has margins as well as laverge to benefit and has a huge risk. Bitcoin trading is a recommendation.

▀█████▄▀██▄▀█▄          H   E   L   E   N   A          ▀▄▀             501,652% APY             ▄█▀▄██▀▄█████▀
▀██▄                  |        TWITTER        |      TELEGRAM      |        DISCORD        |                  ▄██▀
▀█▄        The Best in Space Auto-Compounding DeFi 3.0 Protocol on BSC        ▄█▀
joniboini
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1789

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2019, 04:44:51 AM

i don't like to trade alt/USD pairs. often times when bitcoin volatility hits, they just stagnate or bleed down. i'm trying to accumulate bitcoins not dollars (and i hate losing coins) so that's another reason i prefer the BTC pairs.

Isn't it better to hold alt/usd pair then, as long as you can exit the market correctly? I mean, if you hold alt/btc, then if BTC rise or dump your BTC will also decrease, as most of the time alt will lose its values compared to BTC. If you hold alt/usd pair, then you can sell and then use that USD to buy more BTC. I'm not sure if this works but sounds like a good try for me.

Obviously Bitcoin trading is better, and Bitcoin trading is a different P2P transaction with Fiat trading which has margins as well as laverge to benefit and has a huge risk. Bitcoin trading is a recommendation.

I think you misunderstood what OP wants to discuss.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
binhvo1505

Activity: 728
Merit: 11

https://streamies.io/

View Profile
June 04, 2019, 05:42:16 AM

Hello.

Cheers,
TG
In the crypto market or any financial market, you will never find such cyclical signs. if it is too easy to notice, then you have not become miserable in creating strategies.
The important thing here, you need to know where is a good time to buy coins. It doesn't matter at the price, it's important for signals from the volume, the whale community, ...

S T R E A M I E S -  Streaming in Anonimity  -  No rules
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●●     Whitepaper Released    ●● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DISCORD    -    BITCOINTALK    -    WEBSITE    -    EXCHANGE
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: