Bitcoin Forum
September 26, 2024, 10:58:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain Domain as Wallet  (Read 212 times)
jdarren (OP)

Activity: 296
Merit: 12

View Profile
June 03, 2019, 05:31:55 AM

I would like to know what everyone's thoughts are on the blockchain DNS that I keep seeing. I believe there are a handful such as .eth and .zil through companies like unstoppable domains. To my understanding you have this address that can accept a handful of currencies.

This seems cool for people who want to be public. Good mass adaption option for a wallet?
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 6346

View Profile
June 03, 2019, 08:35:15 AM

There is OpenAlias which is something similar I believe, one problem with that is that not all wallets support this (only Electrum and Coin.Space), so If you're for example accepting donations, not everyone is going to be able to send you money.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
bitmover
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 6222

Crypto Swap Exchange🈺

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2019, 06:23:10 PM

I would like to know what everyone's thoughts are on the blockchain DNS that I keep seeing. I believe there are a handful such as .eth and .zil through companies like unstoppable domains. To my understanding you have this address that can accept a handful of currencies.

This seems cool for people who want to be public. Good mass adaption option for a wallet?

Ethereum name service (https://ens.domains/) is exactly that. You can use use your .eth domain  as a wallet.
Namecoin is doing something similar as well with .bit domains.

Those initiatives are good because  DNS is very centralized in their central authority. Those blockchain domains would be decentralized and more resilient against coercion from powerful people.

THere are recent cases where users lost their domains. Look at this one from a few months ago. A guy who lost France.com domain to france government (he had it for more than 20 years). In a .eth or . bit domain, that would not happen, as a owing a domain would be like owing bitcoin.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/30/france-seized-france-com-from-a-man-who-owned-it-for-20-years--so-hes-suing-his-country.html

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: