Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:50:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SCAM ALERT: spendbitcoins.com / Jeremy West  (Read 9840 times)
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 01:03:40 AM

The whole reason Jeremy extended the auction was because of the editing of bids, nothing more.  With the bids being edited, he had no way of verifying the story on either side, so he had to extend it and make it a PM auction to be fair.  What is your suggestion?  That he allow you to keep your edited-in bid of 36?  Or that antanes (or whatever his name was) would win at 40BTC?  Or that you should win at 66 BTC?  What if antanes edited his post again to say 67 BTC?  Where would it end?  How could either of you prove your bids?

This is completely and factually incorrect.  Both parties involved (Antares and myself) both agree on the sequence of events.  The editing of the bids is a side issue that has nothing to do with the problem at hand.  Antares publically admitted that my initial bid was higher than his prior to the close and that he edited his bid AFTER the close.  The editing of my bid was to clarify the bid, not to CHANGE THE BID.  Antares CHANGED HIS BID after the close.  My bid REMAINED THE EXACT SAME AMOUNT after I edited it.

I have dealt with Jeremy many times and he has never even hinted at being a scammer. "Scamming" means you actually lost money to someone not you didnt get the deal you wanted and now you are stamping your foot. If this thread causes Jeremy to lose sales in fact it is YOU who are the scammer because you publically defamed an honest bitcoin business.

To be a crime there has to be a victim. The only victim I am seeing here is Jeremy and spendbitcoins by your baseless claims.

Now you need to make the victim whole Inaba.

This is patently ridiculous.  Because I didn't lose any BTC, someone is not a scammer?  A scam is a dishonest scheme or a fraud.  What do you call changing the rules of an auction AFTER the auction closes when you don't like the outcome?  That's called a scam.  The one perpetrating it is a SCAMMER.  What exactly do you call it?

I honestly can't believe you only classify someone as a scammer if they've SUCCESSFULLY scammed someone out of their money.  There are a number of labeled scammers on this board that would like their title changed back from SCAMMER then, since I and many others have fortunately caught them prior to them actually being able to scam someone out of their money.

So you're  effectively supporting scamming, so long as it's not successful, right?  That's the gist of what you're saying?  I know that's a ridiculous statement, but your statement basically says little else.

Sorry your experience was no so great, but I assure you Jeremy is good for his word if you feel wronged it would have to be cluster fuck of a situation.

But this situation proves that he's not.  He offered the auction with a set of rules, which he changed after the fact.  He basically lied in the initial ground rules for all intents and purposes.  He may have been honest in the past and he may be honest in the future, but in this instance, he is very dishonest.

I'd like to point out that by his little scheme, he was able to more than triple the final price of the auction.  Pretty darned convenient!

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chieffery

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 01:06:24 AM

Wow dude, I came here to let you know that you are right regarding the auction.  Looks like jeremey has a lot of friends on this forum and it's obvious by how blindly they back him up.  Now I'm not sure saying he was a "scammer" was completely accurate, perhaps shrewd businessman would have been a better title.  However the fact remains, there was an auction where rules where changed after the fact, and if that EVER happens, it better be something that all parties agree on.  Not just to maximize auction profit for the seller.

My humble analysis:

Jeremy you screwed up, you should be willing to shoulder some of the cost for not having set clear auction rules/environment.

Inaba this course of action will only win you more frustration.  While i appreciate the PSA, and will probably never participate in an auction here because of this, you should try and let it go.  Consider it a cheap lesson learned and never do business with the man again.

But I'm high as fuck so what the fuck do i know about anything  Grin

BTC - 194ihPS7DTegoerp1WdRKED7PQCosyq2eL
LTC - LdTHdHo5GDDnQW5gSMNZ7zr8HFitZ7qRmC
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 01:27:52 AM

Jeremy DOES have a lot of friends on this forum, because he always at least TRIES to do what is best for the customers he serves.  Maybe he did screw up - in my opinion he did not.  Regardless, he did what he thought was the best course of action based on the circumstances at the time.  I probably would have done the same thing he did.

The rules did not clarify that it wasn't an eBay-style auction, but no one else bid like it was an eBay-like auction.  In fact, I can't think of another time on this forum (or any forum that I frequent that allows auction threads) when the seller allowed an eBay-like bid.  That's why I'm so flabbergasted that Inaba is making such a big deal out of this.  It was assumed that it wouldn't be eBay-style bidding, because no one ever bids that way on a forum.

So, the fact that Inaba had a cheap bid (and everyone in that thread felt that way), the fact that the rules didn't state whether eBay-style bidding was allowed or not, the fact that eBay-style bidding was mixed with regular-style bidding (shouldn't everyone's bids be eBay style if anyone's bids are eBay style?), and the fact that posts were edited and original bid amounts could not be verified, all give good reason to have an extension of the auction via private message.  That way, the winner and amount is very clear and cannot be edited or ambiguous in any way.
chieffery

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 01:44:04 AM

Meh, I know people who have a shit ton of friends and still wrong other people.  The fact is that your opinion shouldn't matter here.. nor should mine.  The 3 people involved need to reach a consensus they ALL agree upon.  Doesn't matter how many million of Jeremey's friends think that he settled this well, unless the bidders involved are appeased, then the auction was borked.

On that note, I think it's rather clear that Inaba was trying to get the lowest price possible (who doesn't in an auction?), however Inaba you should be cautious to so willingly capitalize off other people's mistakes or oversight, as a predator is no more pleasant than a scammer/dishonest person.

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 02:32:02 AM

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 05:01:47 AM

The rules did not clarify that it wasn't an eBay-style auction, but no one else bid like it was an eBay-like auction.  In fact, I can't think of another time on this forum (or any forum that I frequent that allows auction threads) when the seller allowed an eBay-like bid.  That's why I'm so flabbergasted that Inaba is making such a big deal out of this.  It was assumed that it wouldn't be eBay-style bidding, because no one ever bids that way on a forum.

Are you intentionally being obtuse or do you really not understand the problem?

Chieffery is right, it's pointless to argue about it.  Jeremey lied and cheated and nothing is going to change that.

Here are the facts once more for you SgtSpike and anyone else reading, since you and other seems to be unable to grasp the simple logic that this entire farce revolves around:

1. Jeremy posted an auction with no reserve.  He specified a specific end time.
2. I made the last bid for +1 BTC higher than the highest bidder up to a maximum of 66 BTC.
3. Antares made a 35 BTC bid before my posted my 66 BTC maximum bid.
4. Antares edited his bid to reflect a higher price so that he would come out ahead.  I edited my bid to reflect the final price, which is the same price I originally bid.
5. Antares and I agree on what the original bid sequence was and who the highest bidder was.

These are all facts.  These are all undisputed.  Your argument seems to revolve around the fact that it wasn't an "ebay style auction," which I disagree with, but have ALREADY SAID on several occasions I will grant you that for the sake of your argument.  That being the case, my 66 BTC bid would stand as the maximum bid prior to the auction closing (or 100BTC if you want to take Antares misrepresentation of the facts, but in either case the actual BTC amount is functionally irrelevant since he agrees whatever it was was higher than his final bid). 

So the facts are, no matter what style the auction was, my highest bid was the last highest bid.... whether that bid was 36, 66 or 100 BTC - my bid was still the highest bid.  Jeremy felt that he did not get enough value for the auction, so decided to "extend it" with out consulting me as the highest bidder.  In fact, without contacting me AT ALL.  This is not the actions of an "honest" businessman.  An honest person would have made at least the attempt to contact the highest bidder and explain the situation before trying to squeeze more money out of people.  Instead he "extended" the auction and made it a "silent auction" even AFTER my maximum bid was made public knowledge, thereby putting me at a great disadvantage in bidding. 

The bottom line is, no matter how you want to say this auction was structured, my bid was the highest bid.  This is an agreed upon fact by both parties in dispute.  As such, Jeremy defaulted on the auction so that he could obtain a higher amount, instead of selling it for the agreed upon price.  He did not even try to work with me (and I am a very reasonable person if someone makes even minimal effort), but instead tried to suck as much BTC out of people as he possibly could.  He is, by any definition, a scammer.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
thisisgil

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 11:05:27 AM

Inaba what material losses have you made as a result of being "scammed"?

Mother of no children. Part-time idiot. Full-time douche.
cablepair

Activity: 896

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 12:08:39 PM
Last edit: November 11, 2011, 01:03:07 PM by cablepair

Jeremy West is a very honest person, and I consider him a friend - that is all Smiley

PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 09:50:09 PM

Life isn't fair.  so?
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I heart thebaron

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 09:52:32 PM

These are all facts.
You scammed yourself.

What was lost ? the respect of the forum members reading this for calling out a respected member of the community and looking like a cry baby in the process.

....get over it.

thisisgil

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 11:39:18 PM

First off I think you mean "had" not "made".  Secondly, specifying material losses shows where you're empty logic is headed.

Riddle me this, if I cock-slap your mother, what material losses will you have?  I Bet you still wouldn't appreciate it.

-Chief

What the fuck are you talking about?  Huh

imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2011, 04:19:23 AM

Hey, at least there is an Auction Subforum now that doesn't allow for deletes/edits.  At least SOMETHING good came out of this.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
Jeremy West spendbitcoins.com

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2011, 05:22:02 AM

Hey, at least there is an Auction Subforum now that doesn't allow for deletes/edits.  At least SOMETHING good came out of this.

Great news!

wezzy

Activity: 67

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 11:13:16 AM

Got no issues with Jeremy, he's a good guy Smiley
digital

Activity: 490

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 02:58:36 AM

Can't comment on whether or not a scam or scammer is involved.  But I can confirm that the auction was edited and reopened after it ended. 

I was interested in bidding myself, but after talking to the old ball and chain, determined that we didn't have the date available...

If I help you out: 17QatvSdciyv2zsdAbphDEUzST1S6x46c3
References (bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=): 50051.20  50051.100  53668.0  53788.0  53571.0  53571.0  52212.0  50729.0  114804.0  115468  78106  69061  58572  54747
LordGreynick

Activity: 127

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 08:42:09 PM

These are all facts.
You scammed yourself.

What was lost ? the respect of the forum members reading this for calling out a respected member of the community and looking like a cry baby in the process.

....get over it.

This.

I'll call you a waaaaaambulance.

chieffery

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

These are all facts.
You scammed yourself.

....get over it.

This.

I'll call you a waaaaaambulance.

If ignorance is bliss, you must be happy as fuck...

TheMarketAnarchist

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2011, 09:03:55 AM

I'm going to chime in here as I've done business with Jeremy West many times and found him to be one of the most honest traders in the community. There have been several times where I've made errors that would have allowed Jeremy to bilk me out of Bitcoins but, each time, he acted with the utmost professionalism and concern for customer service. It seems other here have had similar experiences with him.

This sounds like you're pissed off because something didn't go your way and you're wanting to blame someone other than yourself for that. As for me, I have done and will gladly continue to both do business with and recommend Jeremy's business with confidence.

Regards,
TMA
thisisgil

View Profile
November 17, 2011, 10:55:29 AM

How far does someone have to go on these forums until they get banned? Not only has poster been repeatedly obnoxious on these forums (via post history), but has also sent me abusive private messages that I am happy to turn over to moderators if they want to investigate further....

SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700

View Profile
November 17, 2011, 11:46:12 AM

How far does someone have to go on these forums until they get banned? Not only has poster been repeatedly obnoxious on these forums (via post history), but has also sent me abusive private messages that I am happy to turn over to moderators if they want to investigate further....

Forward them to me
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: