Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 03:59:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: USB Miners at crazy prices. Why?  (Read 332 times)
Ka (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2019, 09:27:31 AM

Hi,
posted seconds ago I'd like to buy one of those old school USB miners. While looking on Ebay for one I noticed people are "trying" to sell old Block Erupters and such miners at crazy prices.
Even 100$ for a Block Erupter that actually hashes SHA256 at 333MH/s... I mean, what did I miss? Did Bitcoin diff collapse overnight? Everybody thinking SOLO mining with 333MH/s is enough?

Asking just out of curiosity if anybody noticed the trend.

Ka.

mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4984

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2019, 09:30:27 AM

Well... I've noticed the ebay market being full of ripoffs... These sellers try to sell those old block erruptors to unknowing "victims" giving them false hope of free money.
In the future, their price might rise due to the collector's value tough... But that's about all they can be used for: a conversation piece or a piece of bitcoin history, but not for actual mining (well, in theory, they *can* be used to mine, in the same way as you can use your cpu or gpu... Burn a lot of electricity and get nothing in return)...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Ka (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2019, 09:45:45 AM

I did buy a few Erupters (6-7, can't tell exactly now) years back.
I took one out of the "drawer" weeks ago more for fun than anything else. Assembling the smallest Bitcoin Solo Miner I could.
Onion Omega2+ running BFG miner, a Block Erupter in the USB slot of the board.
It runs smoothly 2 hours every 3 (allowing time to cool off a bit), consumes max 3W when hashing, 1.5W when not.
I know, absolutely useless, total waste of time. Yes, but it's all parts I already had home and keeping it in the living room annoys the wife, mission accomplished Wink
People hear about Bitcoin, cryptos but generally get lost when trying to picture a "computer" mining. This way I can show them "one" without leaving the living room. Wink

Was looking for a Dualminer as I lost mine and wanted to give it a spin on the same board. That's when I looked on Ebay and freaked out.
Can only define them "scammers", you can't possibly sell something like that now, at a higher price than when they came out.

Ka
Steamtyme
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 2036

View Profile
June 07, 2019, 06:27:35 PM

It's similar to when I started in 2017. It was crazy confusing wrapping my head around the differences at the time between TH, GH, MH . I had a tab on reference when I was trying to shop around for some entry level units. I did settle on some decently priced s5's in the end, lol. I'd say a lot of it may be people who overpayed in the past trying to pass it along top the next sucker, unfortunately.

Anyone passing them off as anything more than a novelty, or lottery is definitely going to rip someone off.

░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀█
███░░░▄██████▄▄░░░██
░░░░░█████████░░░░██▌
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░░████████████████
███▄░░▀██████▀░░░███
█▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄███
░░▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
░░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
Ripmixer
░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀█
███░░░▄██████▄▄░░░██
░░░░░█████████░░░░██▌
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░░████████████████
███▄░░▀██████▀░░░███
█▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄███
░░▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
░░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
helipotte

Activity: 650
Merit: 500

Pick and place? I need more coffee.

View Profile
June 08, 2019, 06:45:25 PM

I sold over 80 block erupters on Ebay recently.  Always indicated they where novelty only.  They still sold well.  I have lots of old miners for back in the 2012/2013
era of mining.  Block erupter blade anyone?  How about a gridseed or 10. Cheesy
Ka (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2019, 09:02:46 PM

Well, as posted earlier, actually looking for a Dualminer V1, the one that had stick shape (like an Erupter) and hashed both BTC and LTC.

Wink

Ka.
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 09, 2019, 07:51:24 PM

I sold over 80 block erupters on Ebay recently.  Always indicated they where novelty only.  They still sold well.  I have lots of old miners for back in the 2012/2013

dont tease im still happy if i can pick up a S1 for $40 UK mining gear is expensive as hell

gt_addict

Activity: 2492
Merit: 621

View Profile
June 09, 2019, 09:53:30 PM

dont tease im still happy if i can pick up a S1 for $40 UK mining gear is expensive as hell

Damn right it is. I purchase all my gear from the US and even with customs duty etc it still works out cheaper than buying direct in the UK.

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
helipotte

Activity: 650
Merit: 500

Pick and place? I need more coffee.

View Profile
June 10, 2019, 01:08:11 AM

I still have 11 S1's packed up.  Two of them I paid 4BTC for back in 2012. Shocked
jmumich

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2019, 02:50:04 PM

Wow, crazy - took a look at ebay's recently sold items, had no idea people would pay anything for these. Hard to call the sellers scammers though - especially the ones listed as auctions without promising any type of return, just listing what it does - if someone's willing to pay.... though I personally would make it very clear that it's basically a collector's item/lottery ticket only.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
June 12, 2019, 09:55:33 PM

Seems people are still buying these things mostly for the collectibility of the devices; the Block Erupters were always pretty popular possibly because of the Bitcoin logo on the back of the devices and the different color variants of the miners. I sold a few Antminer U1s, various old Scrypt miners and a handful of Block Erupters I had laying around the house a while back for the first time in a while on eBay and the experience was actually pretty pleasant and easy. I still have a few on display in my house but figured I might as well distribute some I am not using to others that are interested in crypto as well.
Meech

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 16, 2019, 01:11:38 PM

Nothing like hashing with a usb stick miner.  Ebay is great for selling nostalgia items.  Sold all of mine there at a fair price.  Look to here to buy what your looking for in the future.
klaaas

Activity: 1568
Merit: 544

View Profile
June 16, 2019, 02:07:28 PM

So i can say my old zeus miners gain more profit without putting them to work than that i turn them on. Cheesy 

Shopping online and sats back as a discount! (satsback) + LightningNetwork
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: