Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 04:50:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can cryptocurrencies be used as proxies for the strength of the underlying trend  (Read 143 times)
alexyong342 (OP)

Activity: 90
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2019, 04:09:29 PM

As bullish speculation in cryptocurrencies gathers pace, if the majority of traders and speculators use technical charts to trigger trade entries and exits over the short term, how useful are these tools in answering the only question that matters - being on the right side of the trend, and how long is the trend likely to last?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-iCOz7XGO8
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
June 07, 2019, 06:23:04 PM

To be fair, predicting the trend of the current cycle and how long it will last is basically like astrology: pseudoscience using established patterns that people follow for guidance. Because of this collective approval of certain patterns in the market, most traders have the notion that x will happen because pattern x1 appeared, hence certain market movements are spotted for a period of time when a pattern is seen. TA for me is applicable for traditional markets as it already established its effects on that area, but for cryptocurrency? I don't think so.

CryptoBry

Activity: 1008
Merit: 355

View Profile
June 07, 2019, 06:38:18 PM

To be fair, predicting the trend of the current cycle and how long it will last is basically like astrology: pseudoscience using established patterns that people follow for guidance. Because of this collective approval of certain patterns in the market, most traders have the notion that x will happen because pattern x1 appeared, hence certain market movements are spotted for a period of time when a pattern is seen. TA for me is applicable for traditional markets as it already established its effects on that area, but for cryptocurrency? I don't think so.

Maybe Technical Analysis can be helping to some extent but should not be relied upon 100% all the time since cryptocurrency remains to be very unpredictable and has this tendency to defy predictions, no wonder some may describe TA as "financial tarot card reading" or just a hit-and-miss kind of thing. One can take at this article for a balanced view on TA.
XinXan

Activity: 1064
Merit: 505

View Profile
June 08, 2019, 05:50:15 PM

Well technical analysis is not exactly that. Real analysts don't think or say, hey X will happen because this X pattern just formed. It's all about percentages, what's likely and what's not, you can never be 100% correct and you don't need to. For instance, when a pattern shows a likely bull break, traders wont simply jump into it like it's going to happen with an 100% certainty, they might wait for further indicators or they might simply buy and set a very safe stop loss. The more patterns and indicators show the same thing, the more likely it is to happen and traders will throw more money into those, it's always about the risk:reward ratio, some traders are fine with losing 3-4 trades while only being right on 1 because when they are right, they make 10% and when they are wrong, they only lose 1%.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: