Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:47:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to safely store big amounts of BTC?  (Read 12043 times)
TimeBits

Activity: 224
Merit: 62

View Profile
July 29, 2019, 10:36:20 PM

The safest way is not a cold wallet, but a cold wallet shuffler.

Create unlimited addresses on a cold wallet, keep sending you coins in between the addresses with a bot that changes your password and address every few seconds.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
diahsw

Activity: 756
Merit: 105

View Profile
July 30, 2019, 09:41:49 AM

Hello,

Suppose I would expand my BTC portfolio to 10 or 15 BTC.....how would you store such a big amount of coins?

Ofcourse I would use a hardware wallet, but if I store them all on 1 wallet and I lose the wallet, or the house gets on fire and it burns, then I have lost those coins forever? Or are there still ways to get to the coins somehow in that case?

Would you advise to store let's say 15 BTC on 3 different hardware wallets (5BTC each), or would you spread it out even more? Ofcourse I'm not gonna buy more than max. 3 hardware wallets but in that case maybe 15 different laptop wallets (Electrum, Jaxx, Exodus etc.) with 1BTC each on it is safer?

I'm looking for the safest way to store a big amount of BTC and to minimize the risks of losing a big amount.

how to save their own digital currency safely, in the spirit of Satoshi Nakamoto who is truly without confidence. Cryptocurrency wallet is a digital wallet that you can use to store, send and receive various cryptocurrency. Wallet doesn't really "save" your money like a real world wallet. Instead, this saves your public and personal keys which in turn help you send and receive money. There are two storage methods that you can use to store cryptos, heat storage, and cold storage.

Heat storage
Heat storage, in simple terms, is when you store your digital currency on devices that are directly connected to the internet. This connection makes the device "hot".

You have to think about exchanging wallets, desktop clients, and cellphone wallets (any wallet on the device that will be connected to the internet) as a hot wallet. It's easy to access funds in a hot wallet, and if you live somewhere that accepts cryptos for micro payments, there's no harm in using them for daily expenses. Think of it like a fiat currency (issued by the government). You might go around with a portion of your wealth in the wallet for convenience, but most of you remain safe. Your hot wallet must behave like a real world wallet. You use it to bring a little cash for easy access. That is all. While transacting with a hot wallet is very simple, there are big losses in that. They are easily hacked. The entire crypto space has gained a lot of value recently and where there is value, crime is never far behind. Recent ransomware attacks and previous compromises from large exchanges must be an adequate beacon for newcomers.
Even though you won't save a lot of value in your hot wallet, it's important that you follow the backup steps in the recovery section of your wallet to avoid losing funds through human error. With your private key, and all the excellent phrases, you should be able to return any wallet without pain.

Excessive heat storage
-Access funds quickly.
-A large number of options, and support for various devices.
-An easy-to-use UI makes sending and receiving easy.
-Cons of heat storage

Influenced by cyber crime. Hackers, ransomware, and other sophisticated evil actors are constant threats.
Damaging the device can damage the wallet. Without carefully storing the private key, and sprinkling words you can lose your digital currency investment permanently.
You can still lose / damage / steal the restoration details.

Cold Storage
When you save a currency on a completely offline device, this is called cold storage. For those who are looking for the safest form of storage, a cold wallet is the way to go. This is best suited for long-term holders, who don't need access to their coins for months, or years at a time.
They are not without their own risk but if you follow the instructions correctly, and take every possible precaution, this is greatly minimized. Given the amount of attention that cryptocurrency has received over the past few years, unfortunately it has attracted the interest of attackers. Given that, it is a far safer choice to use cold storage as a way to save your money. San Francisco-based wallet and bitcoin exchange service CoinBase holds 97% of its coin reserves in hardware and paper wallets. What is a hardware and paper wallet? You will find out in one minute. For now, let's examine the pros and cons of cold storage:

Advantages of Cold Storage:
- A great place to store large amounts of coins for long periods of time.
-Provides a safety net against hackers and people with bad intentions because -fully offline.

Cons of Cold Storage
-It's still vulnerable to external damage, theft, and human carelessness in general.
-This is not ideal for fast and daily transactions.
Setting it up can be a little intimidating for beginners.

S T R A Y   ███  ANIMAL TOKEN - CHARITY AND INVESTMENTS
───── ─    BUY NOW       ─ ─────
WEBSITE     TWITTER     TELEGRAM     REDDIT     WHITEPAPER
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2019, 03:28:15 AM

Previous wall of text is too complicated to understand these two simple things:

Hot (wallet): Anything that is powered up. This includes computers and yes, hardware wallets.

Cold (wallet): Anything that is NOT powered up. MAY be computers and hardware wallets that are disconnected and put to storage. Or can be a piece of paper.

Keep your "spare change" in hot wallets, the absolute minimum for your daily needs.

Use the cold wallet as your "own bank" to keep your savings in a long term basis.

For the most part the seed words are the most important thing, you have to treat those with the utmost care, write them with your own hands, away from cameras, scanners, printers etc. Backing up digital files (ie. wallet.dat and friends) is redundant and even riskier than keeping the seed words. The seed words are the most important thing, let the rest disappear, with the seeds you can recreate the wallet again.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
darklus123

Activity: 1246
Merit: 588

View Profile
July 31, 2019, 04:53:35 AM

I am not a fan of storing your coins into multiple wallets. Tho, storing your seeds into multiple platforms are advisable because that is the only thing that you will need if you lost your wallet.

Ironically bitcoin is created on a digital platform but keeping your seeds offline is the best practice that you could do. If you lived in a first class countries where vaults are pretty common that buying that one might save both of your seeds and hardware wallets
PodMiners

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2019, 05:07:41 AM

You can have 2 wallets. 1 for long term savings and others for usage in routine. In case, you lose 1 you can recover with the other one. Make sure to note down the recovery details at several places in an encrypted format.
shoreno

Activity: 1750
Merit: 118

View Profile
July 31, 2019, 05:20:38 AM

You can have 2 wallets. 1 for long term savings and others for usage in routine. In case, you lose 1 you can recover with the other one. Make sure to note down the recovery details at several places in an encrypted format.

yeah , just like the saying said " two is better than one " why risk your big amount of btc in a one wallet where you can divide it on another wallet for safety reason . however i find that useless if you will only use a wallet with poor security  . one good wallet or one hardware wallet rather is still better than the two online wallets   . for some users like me , which isnt hodling a huge amounts of cryptos , i think a good online wallet is already enough with us  .
sarmrakib

Activity: 1292
Merit: 101

Vave.com

View Profile
July 31, 2019, 04:03:47 PM

Probably it would be better to distribute currency to different wallets. Wink
I never think its good to distribute in different wallet .If you don't store it securely it might be all your wallet on risk .I am keep saving my btc on blockchain wallet and i have set all the secured level to protect any abnormalities or hacking .

akela11

Activity: 15

View Profile
July 31, 2019, 10:13:53 PM

Man it looks like you have paranoia. Use only one hardware wallet and do not worry Wink ... Or hold your bitcoins a large exchange that returns funds to users in the case of a hack, but a cold wallet is still safer
pixie85

Activity: 2142
Merit: 524

View Profile
July 31, 2019, 10:30:44 PM

I think the very safe wallet to use is a blockhain wallet and we also need to store it offline. I beleive that offline wallet is more safe because there is no way to hacker to trace it. We also need to be more careful on our private keys because there are so many people that lost thier asset becaue of not taking good care of thier private keys.

Blockchain wallet had some problems with phishing. You will never be sure of safety if someone else holds your private keys and that includes exchanges and online wallets. 

Man it looks like you have paranoia. Use only one hardware wallet and do not worry Wink ... Or hold your bitcoins a large exchange that returns funds to users in the case of a hack, but a cold wallet is still safer

You can never be too careful. A hardware wallet is great but it's also good to have a backup in case it gets damaged and remember to divide your money and keep them in different places.
jerry0

Activity: 1736
Merit: 186

View Profile
August 03, 2019, 07:11:57 PM

What about coinbase?  Binance?  Has anyone with 2FA had issues with this?
hulla

Activity: 1820
Merit: 566

View Profile
August 03, 2019, 10:16:27 PM

I am not a fan of storing your coins into multiple wallets. Tho, storing your seeds into multiple platforms are advisable because that is the only thing that you will need if you lost your wallet.

Ironically bitcoin is created on a digital platform but keeping your seeds offline is the best practice that you could do. If you lived in a first class countries where vaults are pretty common that buying that one might save both of your seeds and hardware wallets
If we are talking about a huge amount of bitcoin safely storage, I will advise you to be a fan of multiple wallets at least two wallets (a hardware and paper wallet) while you save the seeds and the wallets in seperate vaults.

.Duelbits.
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
▄▀▄
█   █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█▀▀▀▀▀█
▀█▀█▀
█▄█
█▄█
▄▀▄
█   █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█▀▀▀▀▀█
▀█▀█▀
█▄█
█▄█
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀
 ▀▄    ▄▀▀
Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█
█  █    █    █  █  █ █
Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █
█     ▀▄▀     █   ▀▀  █
Blackjack
▄▄▀█████▀▄▄
▄▀▀   █████ ▄▄▀▀▄
███▄  ▄█████▄▀▀▄███
██████▀▀     ▀▀██████
█ ▀▀██▀ ▀▄   ▄▀ ▀██▀▀ █
█    █    ███    █    █
█ ▄▄██▄ ▄▀   ▀▄ ▄██▄▄ █
██████▄▄     ▄▄██████
Roulette
█▀▀▀▄             ▄▀▀▀█
█ ▀▄ ▀▄         ▄▀ ▄▀ █
▀▄ ▀▄ ▀▄     ▄▀ ▄▀ ▄▀
▀▄ ▀▄ ▀▄  ▀ ▄▀ ▄▀
▀▄ ▀▄ ▀▄ ▀ ▄▀
▄ ▀▄ ▀▄ ▀▄  ▄
█ ▀▄ ▀▄ ▀  ▄▀ █
▄▀▄ ▀▄ ▀ ▄▀ ▄▀▄
Dice Duels
Iceblast

Activity: 783
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2019, 03:00:05 PM

maybe by using an offline wallet like nano ledger or trezzor that can secure our assets even with large amounts though. because this might be able to prevent us from attempts of theft and hacking.

leader2704

Activity: 238
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2019, 03:19:50 PM

Even when you loose your hardware wallet, you can still recover it as long as you still keep your recovery phrase, and I also think that 1 ledger is good enough
diahsw

Activity: 756
Merit: 105

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 11:49:45 AM

Hello,

Suppose I would expand my BTC portfolio to 10 or 15 BTC.....how would you store such a big amount of coins?

Ofcourse I would use a hardware wallet, but if I store them all on 1 wallet and I lose the wallet, or the house gets on fire and it burns, then I have lost those coins forever? Or are there still ways to get to the coins somehow in that case?

Would you advise to store let's say 15 BTC on 3 different hardware wallets (5BTC each), or would you spread it out even more? Ofcourse I'm not gonna buy more than max. 3 hardware wallets but in that case maybe 15 different laptop wallets (Electrum, Jaxx, Exodus etc.) with 1BTC each on it is safer?

I'm looking for the safest way to store a big amount of BTC and to minimize the risks of losing a big amount.

Published by the booming cryptocurrency industry, this industry is still facing certain security challenges and recently, Bleeping Computer reported a dubious issue where hackers (hackers) needed more than 2.3 million wallets.
The attacker received using malware to gain access to the user's email address. Surprisingly, Kaspersky Lab had predicted an attack that would occur later.
- Avoid clicking links that look avoided and interesting. If you see a cryptocurrency website that has HTTP instead of HTTPS in the address bar and looks weird, don't click on it.
- Always follow the original or verified social media account and click on social media links that don't look fake. In fact, to protect your wallet is protected, support to open links on Sosmed for websites that you trust.
- Don't care about the bot on slack. They help to free up your digital currency. Secure your slack channel with Metacert if possible.
- NEVER install the crypto extension in your browser. You should work with a normal user experience to stay safe rather than downloading an extension that will end in regret forever.

S T R A Y   ███  ANIMAL TOKEN - CHARITY AND INVESTMENTS
───── ─    BUY NOW       ─ ─────
WEBSITE     TWITTER     TELEGRAM     REDDIT     WHITEPAPER
Larrycool1

Activity: 7

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 12:00:50 PM

First of all, you have to bear it in mind that online wallet will not be an ideal place for such a huge amount of money, I will recommend using an hardware wallet. Example is a ledger hardware wallet. And I think blockchain now have an hardware wallet. These are few you can go for. Overall, I will recommend storing your cryptocurrency on a ledger hardware wallet.
giantrobot

Activity: 564
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 05:46:29 PM

Such a large amount of money is not easy to protect. However, if you are really careful, take good security measures and stay away from the scam, the above things are possible.
I never thought that dividing it into multiple wallets because it would make you confused when trading or worse will cause you to lose.
nydiacaskey01
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1036

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 11:02:47 PM

While I would love to use my desktop PC to use as hard wallet, theres ledger nano and also trezzor that we can use to store Bitcoins however, I read somewhere that trezor is vulnerable to hacking. I don't know haw it was done but as soon as I read that article, I removed trezor in my list and just opt to ledger nano. Just make sure you don't always take it with you, its very small size and you might misplace it.
iamzill

Activity: 677
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 09, 2019, 07:18:48 AM

save btc in large quantities I think I should be more careful and alert. because right now a lot of hacker actions are targeting btc. maybe by using wallet hardware like nano ledger and trezzor to be one of the best ways at this time rather than saving on the exchange
odeskpawan

Activity: 43

View Profile
August 09, 2019, 07:45:47 AM

The best way to secure your bitcoins is to either use a hardware wallet or a multisignature wallet. Create a seed phrase, write it down, and keep it in a safe place.
Also, if you are storing the funds in a hardware wallet, don’t store all the coins in one device. Instead, distribute your funds into two wallets. But make sure your codes and passphrase are secure in case you lose your wallet.   
killat

Activity: 742
Merit: 21

Be the reason someone smiles today

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2019, 08:23:10 AM

The best options to store important amounts of Btc is paper or hardware wallet.

Both are named as cold wallets,  as they cannot be hacked via Internet. However, be very careful where you store the private key if you opt for paper wallet instead of hardware wallet.

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible
✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: