Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:32:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ask Slashdot Post-Quantum Asymmetric Key Exchange article  (Read 896 times)
jago25_98 (OP)

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2011, 11:17:29 PM

Article on Slashdot:
http://ask.slashdot.org/story/11/11/10/1748242/ask-slashdot-post-quantum-asymmetric-key-exchange

""Quantum computers might be coming. I'd estimate that there's a 10% chance RSA will be useless within 20 years. Whatever the odds, some of the data we send over ssh and ssl today should remain private for a century, and we simply can't guarantee secrecy anymore using the algorithms with which we have become complacent. Are there any alternatives to RSA and ECC that are trustworthy and properly implemented? Why is everyone still happy with SSH and RSA with the specter of a quantum menace lurking just around the corner?""

Some select comments so far:

"There is no known attack on ECC using quantum computers."
"1978 crypto is supposed to be safe against quantum"
"the vast majority of us don't need to keep our data secure for the next century"
"not all encryption algorithms are susceptible to quantum computers"
" I expect that there are some limitations on entanglement"
"There are however non-factoring based cryptography that are not as of yet known to be vulnerable to quantum computing"
"You should keep in mind that although theoretically there may be efficient quantum algorithms for a variety of problems on which cryptographic schemes are based, in practice, the only one which has been found is factoring"
"why people aren't worrying about it, my guess would be that most people don't follow quantum computing, and the few which do may have reason to wonder if we will ever actually reach the 1024 qubit size in a functioning quantum computer"
"the powers that be, that need to keep tabs on you, already can keep tabs on you" aka there is lower hanging fruit
"it's more than a bit futile to count on math to protect things on a time scale like that"

The main thing I think is that there should be other priorities to think of first. Trojans and spying is something much bigger to worry about, totally massive. I think a non rooted phone is more realistic to secure.

I'll have to have a look to remind myself what the algorithm is for Bitcoin is though still.

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 11:49:55 PM

is there anywhere i can go to educate myself on how quantum computing works and such?

nevermind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUWfod_8JsM

JeffK

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 08:29:09 AM

is there anywhere i can go to educate myself on how quantum computing works and such?

nevermind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUWfod_8JsM

A quantum computer console is simply a row of boxes and cats. You put the cats in the boxes and while they are in there you determine they are alive or dead and somehow get results from this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: