Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:39:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SPUF Hacked and Steam as well  (Read 906 times)
ctoon6 (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 11:34:56 PM

Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users:

Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.

We don’t have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely.

While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well.

We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password.

We will reopen the forums as soon as we can.

I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Gabe.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/

again, if you have any passwords less than 14 characters change them, you only need to worry about this if your password was weak, or at least thats what steam is telling us.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
k

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 11:39:38 PM

This is one of the major reasons why bitcoin is better for consumers. Pay with bitcoin and you don't have to trust anyone with your credit card details.
ctoon6 (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 11:41:45 PM

This is one of the major reasons why bitcoin is better for consumers. Pay with bitcoin and you don't have to trust anyone with your credit card details.

really, if you really think about this, the hack never really matters. if your information gets stolen and used to buy things to sell for cash, you pretty much get your money back inside 2 weeks.

k

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 11:47:03 PM

really, if you really think about this, the hack never really matters. if your information gets stolen and used to buy things to sell for cash, you pretty much get your money back inside 2 weeks.

It's still a hassle to deal with the credit card company to get your money back and not everyone pays close attention to their bill so things can slip past.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 10, 2011, 11:58:32 PM

This might be a good time to bring up Bitcoin as an alternative payment method for Steam.  I've brought it up before, but they just ask me to put it up on their forum to gauge interest, and I don't have a forum account at all.  I play games, but I don't talk there.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: