Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:53:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ccn.com closing???  (Read 261 times)
JaredKaragen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2019, 11:50:26 PM

Just read the article: https://www.ccn.com/ccn-is-shutting-down-after-googles-june-2019-core-update

Interesting.

I have a suspicion that a big part of their content being filtered is the larger number of right-leaning posts/articles that have peen posted in the past few months;  just check their article title history.

What are your thoughts on the matter?  Did you browse their articles regularly along with the other news sites?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3041

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 11, 2019, 04:22:22 AM
Merited by Lauda (5), suchmoon (4)

And nothing of value was lost.
Trifixion713

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2019, 05:07:02 PM

I have a suspicion that a big part of their content being filtered is the larger number of right-leaning posts/articles that have peen posted in the past few months;  just check their article title history.

That was my thought when I read they were shutting down the other day.
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6209

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2019, 10:09:59 PM

And out of 21 "articles" on their front page
6 are 100% not crypto related.
4 are only very slightly crypto related.

Think that might have something to do with it?

-Dave
JaredKaragen (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2019, 10:15:55 PM

-Dave

true.... but still regardless of that minor detail... the google search numbers speak louder than anything;  they have been getting very good at censoring people for the wrong reasons:  I.E. look at youtube.
DaveF
Legendary

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2019, 11:05:46 PM

-Dave

true.... but still regardless of that minor detail... the google search numbers speak louder than anything;  they have been getting very good at censoring people for the wrong reasons:  I.E. look at youtube.

Sorry, but no.
Going to CCN right now on my laptop the 1st thing on the page is about Tesla stock, below that something about the dow.

Google has been getting much stricter about "relevant content".
I can have the worlds best site the Honda VFR800 motorcycles. If my top 2 things are about cat videos and a chocolate cake baking company I am going to take a hit.

Going down the page, oh look, a 2nd article about Tesla, something else there about the Boeing 737.

Sorry, it's not finance news, it's not business news, it's supposed to be about crypto.

If everything on the 1st page was about crypto I would wonder if google is censoring....but it's not. Google is just doing their job of....wait for it...displaying relevant search results.

If I want to read about Tesla stock I will go to the WSJ or Bloomberg.

-Dave
JaredKaragen (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2019, 02:36:51 AM

-Dave

Sorry, but no.
Going to CCN right now on my laptop the 1st thing on the page is about Tesla stock, below that something about the dow.

Google has been getting much stricter about "relevant content".
I can have the worlds best site the Honda VFR800 motorcycles. If my top 2 things are about cat videos and a chocolate cake baking company I am going to take a hit.

Going down the page, oh look, a 2nd article about Tesla, something else there about the Boeing 737.

Sorry, it's not finance news, it's not business news, it's supposed to be about crypto.

If everything on the 1st page was about crypto I would wonder if google is censoring....but it's not. Google is just doing their job of....wait for it...displaying relevant search results.

If I want to read about Tesla stock I will go to the WSJ or Bloomberg.

-Dave

you must not understand the link tesla has had with in the crypto space; along with how companies like his effect the crypto world.   All good.  I don't fault others for thinking with a set of blinders on; I will point it out though.  There are a myriad of societal issues that directly impact the crypto space if you take the blinders off and at least attempt look at the whole picture.... I am willing to bet you didn't even read the articles, so you have no clue what the actual content and message of the articles were.

Its not that their links weren't showing up for purely crypto searches;  they were almost literally smeared off the board....   and I personally have serious doubts you read the article originally linked at this point.
DaveF
Legendary

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2019, 12:07:31 PM
Merited by suchmoon (4)

Its not that their links weren't showing up for purely crypto searches;  they were almost literally smeared off the board....   and I personally have serious doubts you read the article originally linked at this point.

Big snip of quote, but yeah I read it. Not impressed. Every time Google makes big changes to their results people complain that they are being targeted.
They come up with the same fancy charts and graphs.

Stop trying to game the Google algorithms, put up relevant content and don't use SEO hacks. I have seen the same thing over and over again from sites that got a big drop for 15 years. Left, right, center, political, automotive, healthcare, whatever. It's always "we were targeted because we are [fill in the blank]" It's kind of like kids blaming someone else for spilling something in the kitchen.

It's an algorithm, it doesn't get happy, it doesn't get sad, it doesn't get hungry, it's just a program. If you think it's personal stop being so sensitive.

Side personal note, if your web business is so reliant on 1 source of clicks and hits and revenue that loosing it will cause you to close then you should not be in business.
That's juts my view having been doing web work since Windows NT 3.51 on an ISDN line. Many people will disagree because Google is the 800lb gorilla in the room. But that's just because they are too lazy to work at getting Amazon, Yahoo/Bing, etc. to all work together.*

-Dave
* Sometimes it's almost impossible without a lot of work. Things that Google will give you a downgrade for are good for other search engines. Too bad, figure it out and deal with it. If you are doing web content that's your job.

tiptravel

Activity: 318
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 14, 2019, 02:38:46 PM

It's really a complete collapse, why do you think it happened?
ePesoInitiative

Activity: 924
Merit: 260

View Profile
June 15, 2019, 08:49:13 PM
Merited by DaveF (2)

Side personal note, if your web business is so reliant on 1 source of clicks and hits and revenue that loosing it will cause you to close then you should not be in business.
That's juts my view having been doing web work since Windows NT 3.51 on an ISDN line. Many people will disagree because Google is the 800lb gorilla in the room. But that's just because they are too lazy to work at getting Amazon, Yahoo/Bing, etc. to all work together.*

Correct. As a website admin, ignore Google rankings. You cannot rely on them forever. Focus on other web traffic sources like Facebook or Twitter.
DaveF
Legendary

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2019, 08:59:25 PM

It's really a complete collapse, why do you think it happened?

I would guess a number of reasons.
I think blaming the sudden drop of Google traffic is a bit of a stretch.

If you are running that close to the edge in terms of funding then there are other reasons for the shutdown that have been going on much longer. If this was the end of August and they came out saying that it's been 90 days since Google changed their searches and they can't recover and they are shutting down the end of September that's fine. You had 90+ days to try. Google changes something and you run away crying. Learn to run a business. I can take in no money for the rest of 2019 and still meet most of my bills and payroll. If you have been in business for more then a year you should have 1 month of cost of running the business in savings for every year you have been around. So after 3 years you should have enough money to not sell a thing / take in a penny and still exist for 90 days. Not saying it's going to be a fun time but you still should be around.

With the above being said, I really have not followed CCN in a while. So I can comment on the business / internet side not so much on the are they a good source of news side.
From what I saw since they made the announcement and I have been looking they have a lot of fluff pieces and stuff grabbed from elsewhere.

-Dave
DaveF
Legendary

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2019, 09:02:35 PM

Correct. As a website admin, ignore Google rankings. You cannot rely on them forever. Focus on other web traffic sources like Facebook or Twitter.

Or as the Marines say "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome."

-Dave
shield132

Activity: 2198
Merit: 847

View Profile
June 15, 2019, 10:02:39 PM

At first I read CNN and got almost shocked immediately.
Btw CCN is great website but for me cointelegraph rocks. CCN has great domain, great knowledge and I still don't know why they had so huge traffic only from google and not from direct visit.
Btw according to article, dailymail has 50% drop which is insane to my mind. Did google start to hate news websites? What's the point?
teddyelwyn

Activity: 268
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2019, 10:37:39 PM

another reason why we need a decentralized internet. web 3.0 can't come soon enough
JaredKaragen (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2019, 12:49:09 AM

At first I read CNN and got almost shocked immediately.
iphones have a nasty habbit of correcting your URL for you to CNN when trying to go directly to the site when you havent on the device before....   rather annoying as hell.

So;  they may not be leaving?   I really dont know at this point.....   but Google has been taking the reigns from Facebook it seems the more time goes on....

Trying to figure out a better search engine alternative, etc....    In my life, google must go; and the sooner the better....   I dont need more of this shit in my life.   Tis why I use twitch instead of youtube now;  I used to be the opposite.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: