Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:22:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Warren Buffet: "Stay away from Bitcoin"  (Read 10038 times)
st4nl3y
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 08:10:33 PM

stay away from Buffet and his theories if you don't understand them. just keep investing in bitcoin to prove him wrong.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bountygiver

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 08:18:40 PM

because he fears that people investing in bitcoin will devalue his assets?
lets take a moment and remind ourselves that everyone is selfish.

12dXW87Hhz3gUsXDDCB8rjJPsWdQzjwnm6
David M

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 08:29:26 PM

I used to have a lot of time for Buffett.

Not any more though and it has nothing to do with his position on Bitcoin.

Bank of America/Merrill Lynch - 5th largest investment
Wells Fargo & Co - Largest Investment
JP Morgan - Owns shares

His influence in bringing about TARP to save his own arse is the pinnacle of cronyism.

IrishFutbol

Activity: 70

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 08:32:49 PM

I used to have a lot of time for Buffett.

Not any more though and it has nothing to do with his position on Bitcoin.

Bank of America/Merrill Lynch - 5th largest investment
Wells Fargo & Co - Largest Investment
JP Morgan - Owns shares

His influence in bringing about TARP to save his own arse is the pinnacle of cronyism.

Like it or not, TARP and the other bailouts saved everyone's arse.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 08:36:24 PM

"Buffett also said he would steer clear of bitcoin. Buffett said the cryptocurrency is an effective payment system, but “so is a check.” The idea that bitcoin has some “intrinsic value is just a joke.”

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2014/03/14/warren-buffett-dont-dump-stocks-on-china-or-ukraine-and-stay-away-from-bitcoin/?mod=sfmw

Well... It's too late for some of us to stay away now.

Remember, this is the same guy that said to avoid investing in internet companies.

I respect Warrens opinion he doesn't invest in the tech sphere because he doesn't put money in things he does not understand
Since he doesn't understand bitcoin he will miss it like the rise of the internet age
But for him it does not matter his fortune is from doing what he knows best so I would say to let him be

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
David M

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 08:41:36 PM

I call bullshit and please define "everyone"?

Depositors and creditors should have been completely wiped out.  No exceptions.
The bastion of capitalism turned into a corporate/crony cluster fuck.

If you want to throw Keynes and a social conscience into it for the retirees and "mum & pop" investors, the US could have written checks for $0.50 in the $1 for anyone with assets under $2million.

The printing done each month to "save us" could have bought you a complete universal health care system for everyone of your citizens with change left over.
kooke

Activity: 448

Bitcoin super-duper-mega-ultra-hyper-node

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 08:42:57 PM
Last edit: March 14, 2014, 09:32:47 PM by kooke

His analogy comparing bitcoin to a paper check doesn't fit. Bitcoin is a more than a money transfer system; it's a protocol within itself.

Edit: And it has the potential to cut into the profits of the corrupt banking system. That alone makes it valuable to me.

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 08:48:54 PM

This is harsher than his internet company diss.  That was more along the lines of "I personally wouldn't invest in a business I couldn't understand".

He also made his internet comment right before the tech crash in the late 1990s...

The tech crash didn't happen until after the 90's were over.
If he made the comment "right before the tech crash", then we are talking the year 2000 (late Spring/Early summer)

IrishFutbol

Activity: 70

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 08:51:37 PM

I call bullshit and please define "everyone"?

Depositors and creditors should have been completely wiped out.  No exceptions.
The bastion of capitalism turned into a corporate/crony cluster fuck.

If you want to throw Keynes and a social conscience into it for the retirees and "mum & pop" investors, the US could have written checks for $0.50 in the $1 for anyone with assets under $2million.

The printing done each month to "save us" could have bought you a complete universal health care system for everyone of your citizens with change left over.

1. Picture a complete freeze in lending, and a lack of access to cash.  No one can buy cars or houses.  People with no cash on hand couldn't buy anything.  Stores can't stock shelves or pay employees.  Forget just the banks, every company from GE to local mom and pop shops would be under within a month.  Tens of millions would suddenly find themselves out of work.  You'd have mass riots in every major city in the nation.  If we were lucky, we would be living in a state of martial law.

2. And as for your ridiculous solution, is this something you actually spent more than 2 seconds to think up?  Honestly, how long do you think it would take for the government create this plan, to identify these people, and to mail them checks.  A few months?  A year?

3. What money was spent?  In the end, the banks paid the money back, so what money could have been "saved" for a better use?
verdun2003

Activity: 308

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 08:54:00 PM

"Stay away from bitcoin" if.. you want to stay away from profits

SLAPMODE

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 08:57:06 PM

THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS HE COULD WISH BITCOIN INTO THE CORN FIELD ANYDAY!!! ~HE MUST LIKE US !!!

;-)

JMHO!
Mobo

Activity: 84

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 08:58:32 PM

Remember, this is the same guy that said to avoid investing in internet companies.

All he says is invalid.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 09:30:34 PM

Dear Mr Buffet,

you should read this:

bitcoin is:
1. Scarce
2. Durable
3. Portable
4. Divisible
5. Impossible to counterfeit
6. Fungible ( any 1 BTC has the same value as any other )
7. Easy to keep safe ( contrary to popular belief, it easy to print out a paper wallet...)
8. Shiny ( yes the digital bits that make up a bitcoin are VERY shiny)
9. all of the above. + very shiny

Fiat is:
1. Definitely not  Scarce, ( mage inflation in the money supply is monumental )
2. Not Durable
3. NOT Portable... compare it to bitcoin, ( try sending 1 million dollars across the globe, try sending 10 cents. then try again but with bitcoin AHhhhh you starting to get it now eh )
5.  Impossible to counterfeit LMAO
6. Fungible... ya maybe...
7. Easy to keep safe? ya all it requires is huge banks, and even then....  the only reason it works is the fact the government has no problem printing (out of thin air ITS MAGIC!) as much money as they need to be solvent any time they need it, you do know what a bailout is right?
8. Shiny? Its has cocaine all over it so no... not shiny
the only thing that fiat  has going for it is that its widely accepted, for now!

the markets need not care about your lack of understanding.

This post will be worth a Billion $'s someday.   Cheesy

David M

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 09:35:02 PM

1. Picture a complete freeze in lending, and a lack of access to cash.  No one can buy cars or houses.  People with no cash on hand couldn't buy anything.  Stores can't stock shelves or pay employees.  Forget just the banks, every company from GE to local mom and pop shops would be under within a month.  Tens of millions would suddenly find themselves out of work.  You'd have mass riots in every major city in the nation.  If we were lucky, we would be living in a state of martial law.

This entire premise is based on the fact that new players will not enter the space that just appeared.

Riots? Martial Law?  You have got to be kidding.  This reeks of statist fear-mongering.

Not even the great depression brought on Martial Law.

2. And as for your ridiculous solution, is this something you actually spent more than 2 seconds to think up?  Honestly, how long do you think it would take for the government create this plan, to identify these people, and to mail them checks.  A few months?  A year?
As opposed to giving reward to the stupid and losers?  Now that was ridiculous and down right evil.

And as for your time frame, there is this tech called a database that  Dr Codd nailed for us in 1969.

As a real world example, the Australian government gave out $800 dollars to every tax payer directly into their bank account within 3 weeks.  It's not hard.
It was a perfect Friedman helicopter drop.  Minimal implementation cost and only a few dead people wasted it.

3. What money was spent?  In the end, the banks paid the money back, so what money could have been "saved" for a better use?

The opportunity costs that the US lost by keeping the dead wood alive is immeasurable.  You are currently experiencing a "long slow painful recovery" due to propping up zombie businesses.
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2014, 09:36:12 PM

Whenever I want tech advice, I always ask a senior citizen.  Undecided
ROFL QFT!

Wanna know another Buffet quote?

"When others are greedy, be fearful. When others are fearful, be greedy."
-Warren Fuckin Buffet

I think the old man should consider his own advice in this matter.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
leancuisine

Activity: 980

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2014, 10:10:40 PM

Warren Buffett is being generious with his praise of Bitcoin.  Bitcoin is the tulip of the 21st century, destined to be obliterated by a better-implemented altcoin.

Oh my god, another florist. Please explain to me what has a flower to do with Bitcoin protocol? Can you send with your tulip on sunday at 1pm money from China to USA without middle-man within 1 hour almost for free? No? So stop comparing it...you guys with your tulips. If you really believe it is the same, why are you even here man/woman? Your comparison is just stupid, i am sorry to being rude.
The 'tulip' that most people refer to is the tulip bulb bubble, or tulip mania, that occurred in Europe. The peak of the bubble was in March 1637, with "some single tulip bulbs sold for more than 10 times the annual income of a skilled craftsman." The tulip bulb bubble and the potential Bitcoin bubble. Wink

More info can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania or http://www.investopedia.com/features/crashes/crashes2.asp

Nathonas

Activity: 280

Knowledge is Power

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2014, 10:43:13 PM

Normally I'd agree with him because he's one of the best investors/economists on the planet but...in this case he just sounds like a rambling senior citizen that doesn't understand the internet and its related technologies.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 11:14:42 PM
Last edit: March 14, 2014, 11:48:25 PM by AnonyMint

"Buffett also said he would steer clear of bitcoin. Buffett said the cryptocurrency is an effective payment system, but “so is a check.” The idea that bitcoin has some “intrinsic value is just a joke.”

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2014/03/14/warren-buffett-dont-dump-stocks-on-china-or-ukraine-and-stay-away-from-bitcoin/?mod=sfmw

Well... It's too late for some of us to stay away now.

I respect Warrens opinion he doesn't invest in the tech sphere because he doesn't put money in things he does not understand
Since he doesn't understand bitcoin he will miss it like the rise of the internet age
But for him it does not matter his fortune is from doing what he knows best so I would say to let him be

Normally I'd agree with him because he's one of the best investors/economists on the planet but...in this case he just sounds like a rambling senior citizen that doesn't understand the internet and its related technologies.

Indeed the old tangible capital world is going away folks... and Buffet will die just-in-time to fade away with it...

I also knew in 1999 that the dot.com crash was coming because I was trying to buy PPC advertising for my CoolPage.com (had million users at that time, roughly 1% of the internet) and what I saw was the ROI on advertising was negative for any profitable business, thus there was massive overinvestment driving the ad prices too high.

So when Homepage.com offered me $1 million in stock options to take over CoolPage.com, I declined. I took a couple hundred thousand instead in a non-exclusive license, and reaped another 7 years of sales ongoing.

But Buffet missed investing in numerous internet companies that have made others into $billionaires.

The model of business he invests in is dying. We are leaving the tangible capital age and entering the knowledge age, wherein you don't need large stored capital to launch a business. For example the 3D printer (which can print itself) will eventually obliterate factories, retail stores, and shipped goods. There are already 3D printers which can print multiple materials on the same object.

Also in the past knowledge was captured by industrial stored capital, because one needed physical production and distribution. Stored capital is a claim of future human labor or production. But now for example factories will be automated with robots, so the industrialists will depend on the knowledge workers.

The knowledge workers can say "fuck you" to $billions, we don't need it. All that stored capital is becoming useless and won't be able to find a home. It is what you know in your brain that becomes capital.

When the $223 trillion global debt bomb (with $1000 trillion in derivatives to hold it up, and another $1000 trillion in unfunded social liabilities promised to the boomers) implodes circa 2016ish as the marginal-utility-of-debt has become negative right about now and the BRICs are starting to collapse (with Europe and Japan to follow by next year and USA in 2016), the all those people who are useless in the Knowledge Age will be unemployable. And those $billionaires will lose their net worth relative to the capital in our brains which will grow orders-of-magnitude in value (what we can produce and buy with our efforts).

Oxford U predicts 47% of all existing jobs will be erased by automation within 19 years (20 years from last year when the research was published).

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
Corazon79

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 11:20:29 PM

Which programming languages do you consider future proof, Anonymint? Obviously people will have their favourites and it depends on the job, I understand that. But I'd like to know your views.

I also listened to your recordings earlier on. Were you cut off at the end? It seemed like there was more to come. But the recording ended abruptly.
bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 11:27:18 PM

it is funny how people here think they have more background than warren buffet
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: