Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:18:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New Bitmain S9 Firmware Preliminary Testing With Data  (Read 1011 times)
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 6371

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
July 02, 2019, 10:57:05 PM

I tried the +2th with no issues, but just worried about burning something up.

Anybody else running 15.5th on the 13.5 S9? Is it stable? Any power draw numbers?

I am getting 15.4 but using only the +1.5th , the +2th does not seem to be stable for me, just as OP mentioned, I also have no explaination on why does +1.5 adds 1.9th but well I can't complain.

also keep watching the rejected shares, or basically watch the reported hashrate on the pool, don't get too excited seeing the hashrate on your miner , after all it kind of does not matter if it's not reporting the same on the pool due to excessive over clocking, this happened to some of my S9s even with +1.5 so had to go back to +1 on those.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2019, 12:37:55 AM
Merited by frodocooper (5), thierry4wd (3)

S9 code is open source.

Meanwhile the other 'so called' better firmware added #xnsub to their code (which probably is in some versions the S9 code also - no idea)
2 things about that:
1) It's a major security issue since it allows the proxy/pool to change the work being mined to without any notification or log of it happening.
i.e. the pool/proxy can even switch what coin or what pool or what username you are mining without any log of that.
2) Who knows what issues they caused adding the #xnsub code ... did they test it still finds blocks?
(no doubt the standard reply to that is "Why do you need to find blocks?")

Miners can do whatever they please with their gear, or at least thats how it should be. Some companies think they should keep controlling the things they "sell", treating them more like some sort of lease you have no rights to...
This relates to destroying hardware and sending it back to bitmain wanting them to fix it ...

While it's under warranty you actually can't do whatever you want to it and expect them to fix it ... which no doubt is the problem there.

Bitmain should add some hardware log of max temperature/frequency/voltage that can't be deleted - but no doubt someone will come up with a firmware to hide that.

People like to make up conspiracy theories about all sorts of rubbish, but it seems pretty obvious why they would do it if you take a very small moment to think about it logically.

Sure justify draconian corporate control over hardware, why Tivo did it and some computer manufacturers (secure boot) and smartphone manufacturers, doesn't mean its moral or that people have to accept it, otherwise lets forget open source and go closed source, and while we are at it, lets dump this choose your own pool rubbish and go Bitfury, see how you like that.

Warranty is no excuse, touch the firmware and lose the warranty. I'll let your imagination figure how easy it is to detect that. But I'll let you a tip: Bitmain is incapable or unwilling of detecting subtle hardware manipulation, as in hash boards changing places... Its probably a logistics nightmare and cheaper or better to just ship new units rather than lose a customer. Something you seem to ignore here: Bitmain is that profitable in their core business. The minuscule amount of burned boards due to customer abuse means nothing to them. Oh, and they can get burnt in a myriad of ways without users messing with voltages and chip speeds...

You are pissed over #xnsub when the actual Bitmain firmware supports it. I'm pissed when people install Windows and yet they still do it knowing the risks. such is life. Leave it in your sig and call it a day. People still go to nicehash despite having taken customers money... #xnsub is optional and unnecessary for most users anyway, I'm willing to bet most people learned about its existence thanks to you, talk about Streisand...

I'm glad someone wrote open source code to replace Bitmain's, and its been a success, despite supporting only S9s and T1s. No hardware should ever be tied to an specific piece of software, ever.

Tell you what: go github, fork their project, call it safebraiins or something and remove the #xnsub code. Anyone could do it, that's the beauty of free open source. You could even remove the "dangerous" overclocking options...

Aren't you a developer yourself? You really should know better: code talks.

Also you neglect under-clocking and energy efficiency advantages. While some users (foolishly) go the other way, this firmware lets you run them quieter and more efficiently, thus prolonging their lifetime. Bitmain is unable to carefully adjust this to every particular hash board for whatever reason, but users can and are willing to find the best speed that produces the most hash while consuming the less amount of watts per hash, per board.

And, there are boards that show dead using Bitmain's but work with this, that are long past their warranty. Ever heard of e-waste? This is the same as older computers getting tossed because Windows 10 stutters with them but work fine with Linux. Again, prolonging lifetime beyond its expected life-cycle by replacing the bundled software with a free open source alternative.

As for "conspiracies", well, there was Antbleed but i think have already given enough reasons...

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
August 08, 2019, 11:10:54 PM

As for "conspiracies", well, there was Antbleed but i think have already given enough reasons...
Hah - it didn't do anything - check the code.

Conspiracies indeed Cheesy

I even posted about it well before that.
However, it didn't allow them to stop the miner.

Fun how people believe anything they read and wont verify if it's false when they want it to be true Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
AlecMe

Activity: 392
Merit: 159

View Profile
August 18, 2019, 08:08:20 PM
Last edit: August 19, 2019, 12:12:24 AM by frodocooper

Is it possible to have a batch that just does not like +ths at all?

As soon as I use any of the options to add TH/s my miner, s9j, loses TH and goes around 12th instead of at least 14,5.

Now the interface shows the correct speed, it includes the additional TH, but I checked on the pool and there I can see it is lower.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: