Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:49:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: An international holiday to remember innocents who got executed?  (Read 180 times)
iamsheikhadil (OP)

Activity: 1022
Merit: 133

View Profile
June 23, 2019, 05:19:58 AM

We know the justice system is totally screwed up and flawed in so many ways. And with its harsh punishments and improper management, there are times when innocents are convicted and later sentenced to life in prison or even death. And after decades of their sentence, they are declared innocent.

But there is nothing official from the government yet to pay them atleast some respect and acknowledge Government's fault in convicting them.

It would not only bring shame to an imperfect Government (no Government is perfect) but would bring huge attention of public towards such a grave problem. And many laws regarding it can be passed when public sentiment is with it.

A study claims that 1 out of 25 people are wrongfully executed, excluding those who are later released by government for lack of evidences.

That's huge. And hence I believe there should be a complete growing list of people wrongfully accused and put to death without fair trial and be given tribute globally. This would put shame to the country executing most Innocents in the global arena. And the families of those victims who are executed can be given financial help and other emotional help.

It's unfair to just forget about them as if a normal mistake.

Opinions?
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
June 24, 2019, 01:25:51 AM

We know the justice system is totally screwed up and flawed in so many ways. And with its harsh punishments and improper management, there are times when innocents are convicted and later sentenced to life in prison or even death. And after decades of their sentence, they are declared innocent.

But there is nothing official from the government yet to pay them atleast some respect and acknowledge Government's fault in convicting them.

It would not only bring shame to an imperfect Government (no Government is perfect) but would bring huge attention of public towards such a grave problem. And many laws regarding it can be passed when public sentiment is with it.

A study claims that 1 out of 25 people are wrongfully executed, excluding those who are later released by government for lack of evidences.

That's huge. And hence I believe there should be a complete growing list of people wrongfully accused and put to death without fair trial and be given tribute globally. This would put shame to the country executing most Innocents in the global arena. And the families of those victims who are executed can be given financial help and other emotional help.

Opinions?
I like the idea. Of course I'd include those innocents executed in the Muslim world....
iamsheikhadil (OP)

Activity: 1022
Merit: 133

View Profile
June 24, 2019, 02:12:25 AM

Opinions?
I like the idea. Of course I'd include those innocents executed in the Muslim world....

Umm sure... It should be international so yeah, from beheadings in Saudi to mob lynchings in South America to executions of Juveniles and Innocents in the US. Should include everything. They all deserve a little love and some care.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
June 24, 2019, 02:28:11 AM
Last edit: June 24, 2019, 03:32:30 AM by Spendulus
Merited by squatz1 (1), iamsheikhadil (1)

Opinions?

Umm sure... It should be international so yeah, from beheadings in Saudi to mob lynchings in South America to executions of Juveniles and Innocents in the US. Should include everything. They all deserve a little love and some care.

Of course a brutal execution such as beheading does not mean the person was innocent. You have an interesting dimensionality here, to focus on the issue of mistaken, or contrived guilt. Also to ignore the innocent who have been harshly imprisoned in many countries, but notably Russia and China, for many decades. (I'm reminded of a great fiction book, The Count of Monte Christo, the plot of which was a completely innocent person harshly imprisoned.)

Innocence has many versions. Someone might be innocent by the standards of one country, guilty by the standards of another. One path would be to focus on those for whom there was clear evidence of innocence, under the laws of the country that found them guilty. There is the gray area of those who were framed for a convenient charge, but who were actually singled out for something different. Often that would be attacking the political power systems.

Expect attempts to hijack it for "causes," usually which are political hot buttons or related to "social justice."

Overall, I like this idea.
Naida_BR

Activity: 980
Merit: 62

View Profile
June 24, 2019, 05:18:28 PM

Opinions?

I don't think that needs to be an international day.
Death penalty is not a regulation in many West countries and apart from that death penalty is doomed from those governments so there is no point in setting an international day for that.
HereNow

Activity: 56
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 28, 2019, 03:45:23 AM

It's good to bring awareness to people whose life was turned into a hopeless hell, only to be killed and then forgotten.

With technology now, makes you wonder of all the innocent people here now and throughout the millenniums.
TheCoinGrabber

Activity: 994
Merit: 302

View Profile
July 01, 2019, 04:05:09 PM

I often wonder how some NGO hasn't pushed for this yet. If you think about it, those liberals who oppose death penalty should be already vocal about this. Maybe they are still accumulating a list of wrongfully executed people?

One step at a time maybe. First those that have been executed by the "justice system" in Western countries. That could be the only way to get the "progressives" to jump in the wagon since they hate their own countries and this would have an anti-government feel to it. Later when they are heavily-invested in the cause, we can start adding people who died from lynching, and then from religious laws, etc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: