Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:03:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stop shameless bumps if you have nothing new to say  (Read 486 times)
AliErkic (OP)

Activity: 135
Merit: 2

xrp shitcoin is SCAM - get out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile
June 24, 2019, 01:16:28 AM

All the time I come over silly bumps where the OP has nothing new to say. I can understand it for selling items, offering services or when no one has answered so far.

My question:
Is that really necessary? It might be allowed to bump every 24 hours but imagine if everyone would start bumping while there's nothing new to share...

Is is for merit?
Is it for trolling?
Is it paid?

Dunno

If nothing new is shared I'm tired of silly bumps.

xrp shitcoin is SCAM!  ***  Get out!  ***  Don't get scammed by Ripple Labs and scammer Garlinghouse *** xrp shitcoin is SCAM!  ***  Get out!!!
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2301

View Profile
June 24, 2019, 01:23:04 AM

What threads are you referring to?

If you are talking about the guide type threads, I would say it is almost certainly for merit. Although the OP may want visibility for their threads so others might respond.
thd26bct

Activity: 300
Merit: 93

View Profile
June 24, 2019, 01:47:07 AM

Basically, such bump posts don't violate forum rules, if posters follow two following rules.
13. Bumps, "updates" are limited to once per 24 hours.[2]

21. Old bumps should be deleted. [2]
CryptopreneurBrainboss
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 4172

eXch.cx - Automatic crypto Swap Exchange.

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2019, 04:50:10 AM

It isn't a crime to bump your thread as far you do it right just as thd26bct has pointed out. Also the motives behind them bumping their thread shouldn't be your consider, focus on the reason why you joined the forum and let others focus on theirs. Even though threads are been bump basically just for merits it isn't a crime as at the end of the day the thread gets more visibility which means more users read them and if it's worth some merit it gets it too. Irrespective of how contributive (quality) a thread is, it still need visibility for it to be rewarded.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
TheBeardedBaby
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
June 24, 2019, 07:33:42 AM

Depends of the situation,but if the posted information is valuable for someone, like protecting newbies from being scammed, or information regarding changes which can affect someone in a way, those are good to be bumped as they are not in the stickies.
Bumping threads like "Bitcoin is DEAD!" or threads that gives you now useful information should be punishable with locking those threads.

welovedcrypto

Activity: 422
Merit: 52

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2019, 08:26:05 AM

Bumps are not for Merit
Not even for trolling
If BUMPS are in bounty threads then they maybe paid, in many cases it happens.

Instead of creating this thread you can report bump post which you think are against the following rules.
13. Bumps, "updates" are limited to once per 24 hours.
21. Old bumps should be deleted.

██   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▄       BYBIT │ reddit       ▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██
   Sports & Derivatives Trading        Mobile App for iPhone & Android
   24/7 Customer Support        NFT Marketplace        Launchpad/Launchpool
marlboroza
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 2270

View Profile
June 24, 2019, 09:18:56 AM

Is that really necessary? It might be allowed to bump every 24 hours but imagine if everyone would start bumping while there's nothing new to share...
If you have read it doesn't mean everyone else have read it.
You can always push this button:

Topic title will become grey and you won't have problem with "silly" bumps  Wink
thd26bct

Activity: 300
Merit: 93

View Profile
June 24, 2019, 01:40:35 PM

It isn't a crime to bump your thread as far you do it right just as thd26bct has pointed out. Also the motives behind them bumping their thread shouldn't be your consider, focus on the reason why you joined the forum and let others focus on theirs. Even though threads are been bump basically just for merits it isn't a crime as at the end of the day the thread gets more visibility which means more users read them and if it's worth some merit it gets it too. Irrespective of how contributive (quality) a thread is, it still need visibility for it to be rewarded.
It is not only for visibility. Because it is non-sense visibility if someone bump their shit posts/ threads. In contrast, bumping for good threads is essential to keep them alive, and won't be burried by tons of shitposts. Additionally, bumping shit posts/ threads don't help anyone to get merits.
Csmiami
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1323

I'm sometimes known as "miniadmin"

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2019, 02:45:07 PM

Personally I'm against necro-bumping when there is nothing relevant to say.

Fortunately, mods can sometimes delete the bump (and thus the visibility of the tread) if it is listed as off-topic. One of the greatest achievements of the merit sistem is that it stopped these gruesome people from posting in 2013 threads just to gain activity "because I have the right to post"

I hope those were the kind of bumps you were complanining about (and now you know you can report them)

actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2019, 03:33:26 PM

Fortunately, mods can sometimes delete the bump (and thus the visibility of the tread) if it is listed as off-topic. One of the greatest achievements of the merit sistem is that it stopped these gruesome people from posting in 2013 threads just to gain activity "because I have the right to post"

I hope those were the kind of bumps you were complanining about (and now you know you can report them)
My issue is that there aren't any defined/strict rulesets to depict how long a thread has to be inactive in order for a bump to be considered a necrobump.

Personally, I've encountered some barely-substantial posts bumping threads that have been inactive for a few months. I believe some of them were left there while others were deleted. The issue is, though, that it starts up a new wave of spam with old posts (some from over a year ago) being quoted and answered as if they were being asked now.

Example: "price reaching $X" post from 2015 being responded to now.

Csmiami
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2019, 03:38:00 PM

My issue is that there aren't any defined/strict rulesets to depict how long a thread has to be inactive in order for a bump to be considered a necrobump.

Personally, I've encountered some barely-substantial posts bumping threads that have been inactive for a few months. I believe some of them were left there while others were deleted. The issue is, though, that it starts up a new wave of spam with old posts (some from over a year ago) being quoted and answered as if they were being asked now.

Yup, those are exactly the ones I mean. A thread a few months old maybe still be relevant; but an inactive thread from 3/4/... years ago is hardly relevant now (or you can be hardly relevant to it)

TheBeardedBaby
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
June 24, 2019, 03:40:07 PM

I would report it if I feel the bump is a necro one. Just report what you feel is wrong, don't really only on the rules. At least that is the impression I got from Theymos' comments from some time ago.

actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2019, 03:41:49 PM

I would report it if I feel the bump is a necro one. Just report what you feel is wrong, don't really only on the rules. At least that is the impression I got from Theymos' comments from some time ago.
That's just it, though. Sometimes I'll report a necrobump that I think is towards a fairly-inactive thread (i.e. 4mo).

Then, the report is left unhandled and in comes another 5 pages of spamposts that are responding to now-irrelevant replies to the thread.

Findingnemo

Activity: 2338
Merit: 760

Bitcoin = Financial freedom

View Profile
June 24, 2019, 05:55:19 PM

All the time I come over silly bumps where the OP has nothing new to say. I can understand it for selling items, offering services or when no one has answered so far.

My question:

Is is for merit?
Is it for trolling?
Is it paid?

Dunno

If you are selling something and you are allowed to make your thread visible every 24 hours then nothing wrong with it.

You can report the necro bumps from someone who doesn't have anything with that thread but by OP is not a problem.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
View ArchiveReport to moderator
friends1980
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1059

nutildah-III / NFT2021-04-01

View Profile
June 24, 2019, 06:20:08 PM

Another Newbie spammer opening a thread, trying to fish for Merit. I've been repeating this so often, I am starting to feel like a spammer myself.

"Nothing new to say" the guy says. Check your post history mate. Roll Eyes

nutildah-III - First BitcoinTalk NFT Transaction ever - 2021-04-01 [666 fBTC]
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2019, 06:23:13 PM

Another Newbie spammer opening a thread, trying to fish for Merit. I've been repeating this so often, I am starting to feel like a spammer myself.

"Nothing new to say" the guy says. Check your post history mate. Roll Eyes
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Threads like these will pop up, whether it's merit-begging (subtle or not subtle) or otherwise.
Just vote with your merit or rather, abstinence thereof.
Necrobumps are a problem, though.

wwzsocki
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 1708

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2019, 07:59:01 PM
Last edit: June 24, 2019, 08:09:54 PM by wwzsocki

I never bump my threads and always try to wait for a comment to be able to bump when I post an answer but can understand members, who bump their own threads sometimes.
Of course as already mentioned in this thread if useless threads are bumped then this is not good and even should be punished.

The story is different when it goes about really useful threads. Sometimes such thread is posted during the most active hours on the forum and can be very quickly moved at second or even third page of the section and literally inot visible anymore. In such a situation, I don't see any problem when member bumps such a thread one time, especially when he uses only a bump word to do this.

Tutorials, guides, translations are really time-consuming and should be awarded if are good enough. I have already used multiple tutorials and guides from this forum. Of course today there are a lot of places where one can find info about cryptocurrencies, but a few years ago the only place to go was Bitcointalk and thanks to this guides I was able to learn how to mine, everything about BTC, other cryptocurrencies and many more.

Maybe there are too many translations and guides actually on the forum but remember that majority of members are not native English speakers and they will merit authors if find this post valuable.
Merit system works as intended and will filter good from bad once.

jademaxsuy

Activity: 924
Merit: 220

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2019, 08:53:27 AM

My question:

Is is for merit?
Is it for trolling?
Is it paid?

Dunno

It is a case to case basis usually in anne threads bumping is one good thing for them to promote the thread and the project. This is one way to show project visibility in the forum. However, if it is all about one post thinking that it was a quality post and bumping it for merit is not necessary. There are already more merit source now and good posts can be spotted maybe not this time but for sure in some other times. Besides, if one has a good posts or thread then for sure it can have a lot of replies to which it will be visible to the merit source.

Anyway, whatever the reason of bumping threads is again more likely a case to case basis. Bumping is needed depending on the situation and usually it has a purpose maybe not necessary for you but for sure it is needed for the one bumping the thread.
Csmiami
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2019, 08:58:34 AM

Anyway, whatever the reason of bumping threads is again more likely a case to case basis. Bumping is needed depending on the situation and usually it has a purpose maybe not necessary for you but for sure it is needed for the one bumping the thread.

Let's take this example: I believe this reply was not needed and provides nothing new to the discussion. Why should I feel another way about it? What was your porpuse when posting it? Why was it necessary for you to bump the thread?

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2019, 01:38:23 PM

Let's take this example: I believe this reply was not needed and provides nothing new to the discussion. Why should I feel another way about it? What was your porpuse when posting it? Why was it necessary for you to bump the thread?

If there was no bumping people would be motivated to spam threads, which would be even worse. It is done mostly to maintain visibility, as this is a highly trafficked forum and threads get pushed off of the first page fairly quickly, and most do not bother going past that.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: