Bitcoin Forum
October 15, 2019, 07:42:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 0.18.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Wallet & Seed Storage Question?  (Read 379 times)
HCP
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1837

<insert witty quote here>

View Profile
June 28, 2019, 01:05:03 AM

That seems "OK"... I'm still not sold on the use of invisible ink, but that's just my personal preference and as long as you're satisfied with it's longevity and/or you check it regularly, then I don't see any really obvious flaws.

One more thing I would like to add would be to ensure that you stay somewhat up to date with happenings in the Ledgersphere... ie. firmware updates etc. There have been one or two users in recent history who have had issues trying to update very old firmwares. Hopefully this won't be repeated going forward and Ledger have put plans into place to prevent a reoccurrence, but they cannot foresee all eventualities!

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Pmalek
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1158

View Profile
June 28, 2019, 09:48:12 AM

I would also do one more thing.
If you get robbed, and the robber knows what Ledger is and that a Ledger device needs the seed to get access to the funds, create a fake seed and put it together with your unused Nano X. Create it from the available word list.

████████████████████████████
████████▀▀ █▀ █▀ ▀██████████
█████████▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████
██████████▀     ▀  ▀████████
███████▀ ▀  ▄█▀▀▀█▀▀████████
██████▄      █▄  ▀▀  ▀██████
██████         ▄▄█▄ ▄ ▀█████
█████ ▄         ▀▀ ▄ ▀ █████
██████▌          █▀█▀ ▐█████
███████  ▄▌         ▄ ██████
████████▄█         ▄████████
█████████▀     ▄▄ ▄█████████
████████████████████████████
.JACKMATE'S...........
MAJESTIC..
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
..WIN 1 BITCOIN ON EVERY PREMIER LEAGUE MATCHDAY..
████████████████████████████████
████████████▀█▀ ▀█▀█▀███████████
███████████▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████
███████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████
█████████▀▄ ██▀▄▄▄ ▀ ▄▀█████████
███████▀ ▀█████▄▄▄█▄▄▄██████████
███████▀▄████████▀  ▀█ █▐███████
███████ ▀█████████▄█▀▀██ ███████
████████ ███▀██████ ▄ ██ ███████
████████▌▐▀▄ ██████████ ▄███████
█████████▄██▌▐█████▀██ █████████
████████████▄▀▀▀▀▀▄ ▀▄██████████
████████████████████████████████
.JOIN US - IT'S FREE! .
kano
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1194

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
June 28, 2019, 12:39:09 PM

Just remember, a hardware wallet depends on whatever the wallet connects to, to ensure the wallet is correct.
It's not a full bitcoin node, so it doesn't verify the blocks and transactions necessary, it allows someone else to do that ...

Pool: https://kano.is Here on Bitcointalk: Forum BTC: 1KanoPb8cKYqNrswjaA8cRDk4FAS9eDMLU
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code
Help keep Bitcoin secure by mining on pools with full block verification on all blocks - and NO empty blocks!
ETFbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 2051

Use SegWit and enjoy lower fees.

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2019, 05:35:33 PM

3. Perhaps the most controversial part. I will write my 24 word seed phrase with "archival" permanent invisible ink in a book. I will duplicate this in another book and keep the second book in a safety deposit box or in a P.O. Box at the post office. (I will check from time-to-time the longevity of the ink.)

It's good solution IF you're absolutely sure only you who know about this information, even though it's highly unlikely that someone who know you in real life also know you're using method and have power/connection to access deposit/P.O box.

I have doubt about P.O. box to secure important information though.

Hal9900

Activity: 14
Merit: 9

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 06:06:20 PM

Since I started this thread, I heard a podcast with Anthony Pompliano and the founder of ZenGo, which uses ZoOm, a facial recognition security app to secure Bitcoin. I’ve had a couple of discussions with Ouriel Ohayon from ZenGo about the benefits of ZenGo over Ledger. In comparison, Ledger already seems antiquated but has ZenGo been vetted enough to trust that ZenGo is secure? Since ZenGo uses ZoOm I can see how one party would blame the other party if hacking were to occur. I am not a security expert. What do you all think of ZenGo?
Coolcryptovator

Activity: 574
Merit: 854

Don't Panic, It's Organic 🌷

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2019, 06:58:30 AM

3. Perhaps the most controversial part. I will write my 24 word seed phrase with "archival" permanent invisible ink in a book. I will duplicate this in another book and keep the second book in a safety deposit box or in a P.O. Box at the post office. (I will check from time-to-time the longevity of the ink.)
Why are you like to handover your seed like post office box? I know you will secure it by something else. But do you know that no system is safe? Seems you are too much worried about your seed how to store it. Why not make it simple? Store your seed on multiple safe places. Even 1 would burn another will survive. Safe zone means under your control, it might on your house or some other places. If you think your home wouldn't safe then think what will happen if you die ? So there is no guaranty actually. That's life, and I has no guarantee. So it would be nice solution, write your seed on multiple good paper and store it on multiple safe place and check occasionally if your seed is fine.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.